PDA

View Full Version : Quads

THE SWEDE
02-07-2021, 07:01 PM
Looking to get a new ATV, I previously owned a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400. What should I be looking at in 2021?

KodiakHntr
02-07-2021, 07:06 PM
What do you want to do with it?

What features are you looking for? What is your riding level of experience? How much are you going to use it?

REMINGTON JIM
02-07-2021, 07:08 PM
WE were out on our Polaris's again today - Having FUN in the Snow ! :) RJ

THE SWEDE
02-07-2021, 07:17 PM
What do you want to do with it?

What features are you looking for? What is your riding level of experience? How much are you going to use it?

I put 8000km on the last one. Cruising FSR’s, hauling the odd moose or elk out and dinking around on the property.

THE SWEDE
02-07-2021, 07:17 PM
WE were out on our Polaris's again today - Having FUN in the Snow ! :) RJ

what model Jim?

Blacktail1
02-07-2021, 07:35 PM
I vote Honda 500 rubicon. Direct drive no belts awesome

Kos
02-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Can’t go wrong with honda

KodiakHntr
02-07-2021, 08:08 PM
Would be tough to go wrong with another Yamaha or Honda in the 500cc range. Or if you want to live a little, a 650 Can Am. Can Am will ride smoother and get better traction, and be more stable than the Yamaha or Honda in off camber or high speed situations. The 650 is very driveable, and doesn't have the same sort of power delivery that the bigger machines do. Tougher to get in bad situations.

moosinaround
02-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Whatever bike you decide on, power steering is very nice!! I switched over to Can Am from Honda, so far so good. The 91 hp is nice too! Moosin

REMINGTON JIM
02-07-2021, 08:13 PM
what model Jim?

I have a 2016 Sportsman 570 SP ESP - My son has a Sportsman 800 -- The 570 is nearly as fast and gets TWICE as good fuel mileage ! RJ

srupp
02-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Another vote for Honda 500..
Srupp

KodiakHntr
02-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Once you ride a big Can Am (and get used to it) it is pretty tough to go back to anything else. Ride quality and power delivery is unmatched.

That said, you have to pay a lot more attention to what you are doing in technical terrain with that much power under your thumb. The 650 still generates a ton of jam, it just doesn't come on as hard or as fast as the big machines. I have always been fairly impressed with a buddy's 650 in what it will do and how easy it is to ride compared to my slightly modded 1000.

KodiakHntr
02-07-2021, 08:21 PM
I have a 2016 Sportsman 570 SP ESP - My son has a Sportsman 800 -- The 570 is nearly as fast and gets TWICE as good fuel mileage ! RJ

Is that with YOU in front, or HIM in front?

That makes a difference. If a smaller machine in leading the pack then big bikes tend to be driven at lower RPM's and burn LESS fuel covering the same distances....

bcsteve
02-07-2021, 08:59 PM
Go with another Yamaha. Love my Grizzly 700. Super reliable. Pulled out several moose with it.

bighornbob
02-07-2021, 09:36 PM
If you dont want to buy new, I have a 2013 Yamaha Kodiak 450 that I will be selling in about a months time. Comes with a 3000lb winch, front cargo cage, back cargo box, snow plow and removable windshield. Windshield has 20km. Oh also just put brand new tires on it too. Tires only have 20km on them too (thats 20km in the snow. Have never been on gravel). Only selling as I have a new SideXSide. PM for more details.

BHB

dino
02-07-2021, 09:40 PM
Do it right and buy an import. Yamaha or honda. Honda is old tech but reliable. Yamaha is new tech, reliable, smooth ride and made for tough terrain.

3than
02-07-2021, 10:23 PM
I'd go with a honda.

.330 Dakota
02-07-2021, 10:41 PM
looking to get a new atv, i previously owned a 2002 yamaha kodiak 400. What should i be looking at in 2021?

the new kodiak 450 with power steering is sweet,,have one in my shop,,great bike,,for $6400 brand new

REMINGTON JIM
02-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Once you ride a big Can Am (and get used to it) it is pretty tough to go back to anything else. Ride quality and power delivery is unmatched.

That said, you have to pay a lot more attention to what you are doing in technical terrain with that much power under your thumb. The 650 still generates a ton of jam, it just doesn't come on as hard or as fast as the big machines. I have always been fairly impressed with a buddy's 650 in what it will do and how easy it is to ride compared to my slightly modded 1000.

I ride with a Buddy who has a 2020 650 Can Am - My 2016 Polaris 570 and his 650 Can am are NECK and Neck in a Race !
The Can Am is a VERY Nice Quad BUT it should be as they are EXPENSIVE - RJ

Sportster
02-08-2021, 12:32 AM
I ride a can Am 650 XT Max, three stage power steering. Ride's really nice, smooth and quiet. Seems like I'm the one always towing my buddies back to camp on their Yamaha's.

digger dogger
02-08-2021, 05:59 AM
I have kicked the shit outta my Honda, bought new in 04.
Still reliable and has never made me walk out, or hitch a ride.

RyoTHC
02-08-2021, 08:28 AM
I’m riding a 2020 570 Polaris Sportsman, check out Spectra PowerSports in Williams lake, they will blow away the price of all the other makes and models, so much so even if it does break down like the other brand fan boys on here will claim, you could rebuild it twice with what you save in comparison.

personally I put 3000km on it in the first couple months exploring BC, and the only issue I had with it is when a rock got stuck in the fan and it got hot and I had a stick flip up tear out a light and that blew a fuse... it rides insanely comfortably and I’ve yet to find something it can’t do within my riding comfort and it only a 570, tops out well over 100km/hr if it’s not loaded down... damn thing even fits snuggly in my ‘17 Colorado crew cab short box.

I definitely don’t have the experience with brands some of the guys on here do but if I can save 25-30 percent over equal quads of other brands, buy a made in North America product and have next to no issues after riding it hard and for long long days and already putting more KM on it than some have on their decade old machine... id say they are at least worth considering.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Glad to hear that you have put down your knitting needles and getting back outside, Swede.:-D

Will also be in the market for a newer (or possible new) ATV in the next year or so.

Want something that may be able to push tracks without being under-powered. Power steering will be a must.

Currently running an 08 Brute Force 750. It’s higher mileage but picked it up cheap. Love the snappy power when playing in the spring snow. Anyone running a newer one?

We are leaning towards an Outlander 2up. Just not sure how big to go? My better half will also be riding it.

SSS

boxhitch
02-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Theres a big difference in quads with IRS vs SRA, in handling and maintenance
IMO more important than brand

Arctic Lake
02-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Could you briefly spell out the pros and cons of each ?
Arctic Lake

Theres a big difference in quads with IRS vs SRA, in handling and maintenance
IMO more important than brand

Ubertuber
02-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Honda Rubicon 500 with IRS, diff lock, power steering, and no drive belts to replace.

moosinaround
02-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Stone Sheep Steve, if you wanna spin tracks, get as much HP as you can. My son bought a '19 outlander max 1000, 91 HP, and it spins the tracks quite well. My '13 outlander 1000 is stock 84 HP, and it does well with the tracks as well. If you are going to strictly ride snow with your tracks, take a look at the back country ones for the Can Ams. Moosin

THE SWEDE
02-08-2021, 01:38 PM
Glad to hear that you have put down your knitting needles and getting back outside, Swede.:-D
SSS

lol yeah who’d of thought the macrame banana hammocks would take off like I thought they would

REMINGTON JIM
02-11-2021, 05:33 PM
Another vote for Honda 500..
Srupp

OLD Men drive ride Hondas :tongue: because there Slow ! lol RJ

Ride Red
02-11-2021, 05:50 PM

Will also be in the market for a newer (or possible new) ATV in the next year or so.

Want something that may be able to push tracks without being under-powered. Power steering will be a must.

Currently running an 08 Brute Force 750. It’s higher mileage but picked it up cheap. Love the snappy power when playing in the spring snow. Anyone running a newer one?

We are leaning towards an Outlander 2up. Just not sure how big to go? My better half will also be riding it.

SSS

Outlander 2up has the most comfortable passenger seat on the market. I’m running an 800 with lots of power, even with my wife/all gear and towing my trailer with a moose. General run around reliability, you can’t argue with Japanese products, especially Honda’s no belt hydraulic trans.

ACE
02-11-2021, 05:54 PM

:mrgreen: Belts are for holding your pants up! :mrgreen:

landphil
02-11-2021, 07:39 PM

Pfft. I’m not old or slow.

.330 Dakota
02-11-2021, 08:53 PM
Could you briefly spell out the pros and cons of each ?
Arctic Lake

The IRS bikes go places the straight axle bikes wont,,proven this many times,,they have double the ground clearance,,some will say the straight axle is stronger,,its not,,my buddy has a straight axle Honda,,watched him strip the splines off the rear axle,,pulled it home with a 700 Grizzly IRS. The best bike for the money IMHO is the Yamaha Kodiak 450 IRS, with power steering,,great fuel mileage almost the same power as my 700 and has all the same features

dino
02-11-2021, 09:52 PM
The IRS bikes go places the straight axle bikes wont,,proven this many times,,they have double the ground clearance,,some will say the straight axle is stronger,,its not,,my buddy has a straight axle Honda,,watched him strip the splines off the rear axle,,pulled it home with a 700 Grizzly IRS. The best bike for the money IMHO is the Yamaha Kodiak 450 IRS, with power steering,,great fuel mileage almost the same power as my 700 and has all the same features

Im a Yamaha guy all the way but if you ever have to do any side hilling ,the solid axle is way more stable.
Buy the machine that suits your needs. They all have their advantages. For me the locking diffs independent front and rear suspension is nice, a pull start is also something to consider. I killed my battery one time trying to winch my upside down machine out of a hole. Happy to have had a pull start. I still own a Polaris sxs trail version only because of the size but its a pos compared to the grizzly.

kootenaycarver
02-11-2021, 10:04 PM
I have a Can-am Outlander Max 650, 2 up ,that I have been very pleased with. Power steering and very comfortable to ride. Hauls the wife and I, along with our 75lb Lab around with no effort.

Arctic Lake
02-11-2021, 10:40 PM
Thank you for the explanation !
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
02-11-2021, 10:43 PM
Pfft. I’m not old or slow.

Yea ! You are - you just don't relize it yet ! :tongue: lol RJ

Downwindtracker2
02-11-2021, 11:22 PM
A CVT is more efficient, at least car makers think so. The belt drive is simpler than auto trans since I think both can be smoked. One can be fixed in camp. The down side with my belt drive is the higher RPM engagement level than the Honda.

You need metal racks, and power steering. The metal racks are obvious but the power steering becomes very obvious when banging against slash . On the road not so much. IRS for sure.

Tires, when I got my quad, it was the first thing guys told you to do, change them out. The ones from the factory were black and round, and that was all you could say about them. I got a set of Big Horns, they are great. But I'm not sure which cost more the quads tires or the 4x4 one ton's.