PDA

View Full Version : Will a night light discourage G-bears?

MichelD
02-04-2021, 01:06 PM
I met a veteran hunter moose hunting in 5-15 in 2018 who said he kept a bright light on all night outside his trailer to keep grizzly bears away.

Seeing as I was camping alone in a wall tent, I thought that sounded like a good idea but I didn't have one.

Does that really work?

Mulehahn
02-04-2021, 01:19 PM
If the light is always on I would think they would just get used to it. I know black bear and deer do. Don't care at all after a night or 2.

I picked up one of those solar charged motion lights at Costco. Easy to install and think it will startle more animals away with the sudden change. Not saying it does, I just tell myself it will. Worst case scenario I can see what is out there easier and makes late night washroom trips a lot more comfortable.

upnover
02-04-2021, 01:47 PM
no. There are only 2 things that interest them...food and sex. If your lucky it's only your peanut butter sandwiches they get.

adriaticum
02-04-2021, 01:48 PM
Slugs in the face will discourage them.

Surrey Boy
02-04-2021, 07:09 PM
Since he hasn't been killed by a grizzly, then it obviously works. Trust the science.

Bustercluck
02-04-2021, 07:15 PM
My old Indian buddy has two sayings.
A tree will never fall on a sleeping man and
A grizzly bear will never eat a sleeping man.

Seriously though, I drink sambuca or fireball before bed and that seems to keep them away too.

James52
02-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Sleeping pill and ear plugs work for me.......seriously.....

srupp
02-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Hmm guided and hunted in 5..15 for many decades. .some serious anger management issues with the g bears in that area..lots of food and habitat..don't know why they are so contancourous. .but they are.
No a light won't discourage them.
When in tents we staked Bettis 120 pound wolf dogs one on each corner..slept like children.
Cheers
Srupp

.330 Dakota
02-04-2021, 08:01 PM
Since he hasn't been killed by a grizzly, then it obviously works. Trust the science.

Voted Liberal didnt Ya,,LMAO====SORRY

northof49
02-04-2021, 08:23 PM
No but it will help show the silhouette, big teeth and those can openers.

Treed
02-04-2021, 09:11 PM
If you leave a night light on you’ll get all the bears that are scared of the dark hanging around. Better off with an alarm or if you really need it and electric fence.

Bustercluck
02-04-2021, 09:41 PM
Bears aren’t really nocturnal in the wild. Garbage bears are a different story. After you sleep in a tent a few times in bear country the worried ness goes away.

Ohwildwon
02-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Pack alarm.

Here’s a simple alarm that you can use for different scenarios.

Take a shot gun shell, cut the top off and remove the shot.

Buy a rat trap and drill a hole to accept the shell.

Fasten the trap somewhere with some screws.

Use some fishing line and some imagination!

Caution, might cause a heart attack! ;)

Bigdoggdon
02-04-2021, 10:44 PM
I'm gonna say no based on the following story. Was on a moose hunting trip with my father some years ago. We had a draw in region 6 and got our bull down on day 2 of the trip. The area we were hunting was close to region 7 and we had days to kill so after cleaning quartering and hanging our moose we opted to spend a few days driving into region 7 in the hopes of finding a 2-point to fill our 2nd tag. Upon returning to camp a couple evenings later we could see that the tarp covering our meat and one of the game bags had been torn and there were some bites taken out of one quarter. We cleaned things up and rehung the tarp and thought about how to keep the bear from returning. We decided to leave out truck running with the headlights on highbeam pointed at the meat all night thinking that the noise and light we deter the bear from returning. It did not, sometime during the night the bear returned and took his fill off one of the quarters while we slept only 50 yards away with just a thin sheet of canvas separating us from a feeding grizzly. After surveying the carnage in the morning we thought it best to cut the trip short and head home that day. The weigh in at the butch showed an approximately 70lb difference in the weight between the quarter he fed on and the opposite one he didn't. Needless to say I've got a really loud alarm rigged to a trip wire below a much higher game pole that's further away from our tent.

BDD

wideopenthrottle
02-05-2021, 07:45 AM
after losing a deer to a griz right off the meat pole we set up a propane lamp and moved the pole right next to camp..it still came back every night but stayed in the shadows ...if it had moved out from the shadows into the light, between the dog barking and my partner blasting the shotgun the rest of the meat survived

Surrey Boy
02-05-2021, 09:38 AM
Voted Liberal didnt Ya,,LMAO====SORRY

Government always knows and cares. We should trust all our political agents and institutions, as doubting them would decrease their effectiveness in helping us.

.330 Dakota
02-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Government always knows and cares. We should trust all our political agents and institutions, as doubting them would decrease their effectiveness in helping us.

Very dry sense of humor,,I love it

Ghilliesuit
02-05-2021, 03:55 PM
You might try blasting a little Ozzie or Alice, that'll clear them out! Not Patsy or Willie, that brings them in.

250 sav
02-05-2021, 04:57 PM
Muzzle flash works pretty good

nelsonob1
02-06-2021, 12:10 AM
Based on the bears around my place, I'd say they are curious about lights. Cougars too.

Ride Red
02-06-2021, 07:56 AM
When a bear wants something, they don’t quit.

https://youtu.be/pdM9YOYrcbs (https://youtu.be/pdM9YOYrcbs) Grizzly/Electric deer :)

BCBRAD
02-06-2021, 08:37 AM
We use a 'night' light, not necessarily to keep animals away, but to provide enough light so you aren't stumbling around in the dark if you are alerted to something.

The night light is a Coleman stick attached to a propane bottle with a Coleman propane lantern. It runs all night, does light up the canvas tent enough that you do not need a headlamp or flashlight to navigate in the dark.

Deer_Slayer
02-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Not sure how effective it would be. My uncles video taped a grizzly walking through forest and making a b line for their camper with not a care in the world in broad daylight. It might make you feel safer, but I don't think it would discourage a rogue bear.

mpotzold
02-07-2021, 07:06 PM
When a bear wants something, they don’t quit.

https://youtu.be/pdM9YOYrcbs (https://youtu.be/pdM9YOYrcbs) Grizzly/Electric deer :)

Video above shows how intelligent the grizz is!
The night light had no effect on the bear.

With the exception of apes bears are the most intelligent animal.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/10/18/fun-facts-regarding-the-intelligence-levels-of-bears/

IMO night light might?? discourage the grizz but only temporarily at first.
Personally I would not count on it!
If worried at nights about bear set up a small electric fence.

02-11-2021, 07:03 AM
Electric fence. Shotgun with slugs

adriaticum
02-11-2021, 08:29 AM
My old Indian buddy has two sayings.
A tree will never fall on a sleeping man and
A grizzly bear will never eat a sleeping man.

Seriously though, I drink sambuca or fireball before bed and that seems to keep them away too.

Your friend is right.
You are typically woken up by the process of dying just before you die.