PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

IronNoggin
02-04-2021, 01:02 PM
For years we've run with a heavy duty 1 HP commercial grade grinder to make our sausages with. Last year we borrowed a decent 10 lb sausage stuffer from one of my buddies, and it was awfully damn good handling the task it was designed for. Much better than running it through the big grinder again...

So this year I set off in pursuit of something similar I could call my own.
After a Cluster%@#& show at Cabelas requiring multiple visits and calls to their HQ, I decided to look elsewhere. (Sidebar: I have now deleted my Cabelas account, initiated in 1984).

Found one at Princess Auto, but the price reflected the high end nature of the unit.
So patiently I waited for it to go on sale.
And it did. Last Sunday.
And it arrived on Tuesday!
Amazing service!

So here she is in all her glory:

https://i.imgur.com/NVQ9y12.jpg

A Beautiful Monster! 20 lb stuffer, all stainless including the gears.
Just what I had in mind!
My partner's tail is wagging HARD, and he's now encouraging me to get the damn tuna wrapped up so we can commence using this Beast!

Right looking forward myself!

Cheers,
Nog

bc8x8
02-04-2021, 01:22 PM
AND it looks like it comes with a Kokanne !

wildcatter
02-04-2021, 01:25 PM
Matt, is it made in china?

IronNoggin
02-04-2021, 01:47 PM
AND it looks like it comes with a Kokanne !

Damn good thing eh?
Put there for size reference, but I did enjoy tossing back thereafter... :D

Matt, is it made in china?

Unfortunately yes. It is extremely high end for that though, and it shows.
Getting away from that, and procuring a US made one comes in at exponentially more cost.
This one lists over 4 bills.
I can't afford a G plus for anything similar.

Cheers,
Nog

cdub
02-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Too bad on the Cabelas issue, I have their 20lb stuffer and it works great. Except that the units with the horn 90 deg out the bottom waste a lot of product. I also have a 5lb horizontal and almost 0 waste

IronNoggin
02-04-2021, 04:06 PM
I've used Cabelas 20 pound stuffer. It isn't half the unit this one is.
Happy to have encountered issues with them over this now.
Ended up with a superior product as a consequence.

Cheers,
Nog

Ride Red
02-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Looks good Nog. I’m still using a 40 year old Chop Rite Mfg cast beast. Nothing like turning out some homemade sausage.

albravo2
02-04-2021, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting Matt, I've been in the market for a while.

Would you post a link? I can't get the Princess Auto site to spit it out.

Linksman313
02-04-2021, 04:31 PM
After a Cluster%@#& show at Cabelas requiring multiple visits and calls to their HQ, I decided to look elsewhere. (Sidebar: I have now deleted my Cabelas account, initiated in 1984).

Cheers,
Nog

Wow did not know they had the intraweb in 1984?? ;)
Congrats Nog, cant wait to hear how it works for you
Links

IronNoggin
02-04-2021, 04:45 PM
Thanks for posting Matt, I've been in the market for a while.

Would you post a link? I can't get the Princess Auto site to spit it out.

Yep: https://www.princessauto.com/en/20-lb-vertical-stainless-steel-sausage-stuffer/product/PA0008858706

Best price I've seen on these. Dunno how long the sale will last - usually a week.
Was nine left when I ordered on Sunday...

Wow did not know they had the intraweb in 1984?? :wink:

They didn't back then. It was all mail order.

Cheers,
Nog

The Hermit
02-04-2021, 05:07 PM
I am jelly!! Might have to get one... 5 left in Victoria store.

Blacktail1
02-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Where can I get one ?

wildcatter
02-04-2021, 06:38 PM
Damn good thing eh?
Put there for size reference, but I did enjoy tossing back thereafter... :D

Unfortunately yes. It is extremely high end for that though, and it shows.
Getting away from that, and procuring a US made one comes in at exponentially more cost.
This one lists over 4 bills.
I can't afford a G plus for anything similar.

Cheers,
Nog

Well, it loooks really good, they make some good products in china.
I watched the video on Princess Auto's page and right next to yours was a
5 pounder, looking just as good, but Amazon says currently unavailable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVUJY7ixPeo

MRP
02-04-2021, 06:47 PM
I did a quick Google and you can also use it as a wine press. :-×

IronNoggin
02-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Where can I get one ?

https://www.princessauto.com/en/20-lb-vertical-stainless-steel-sausage-stuffer/product/PA0008858706

The Hermit
02-05-2021, 04:49 PM
I am jelly!! Might have to get one... 5 left in Victoria store.

Ordered one today! Thanks for posting that up! Looking forward to the first batch!!

IronNoggin
02-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Ordered one today! Thanks for posting that up! Looking forward to the first batch!!

Good Stuff.

Just a bit of a Head's Up Bill, this was posted on the Alberta Forum regarding these same units:

"I'll give you some free advice... Make a small board that will slide in under the legs of the cannister to give additional support to the side brackets.

I've snapped off 3 brackets and had to return 3 units before I built a small board to go under the feet on the legs. That 1/4" of clearance is good for getting the cannister into the stuff unit itself, but they won't hold 20 pounds + the pressure needed to blast it out a tube (smaller pepperoni tubes require extra pressure).

All the stuffers now sold at CTR in Calgary now come with a small piece of puck board that's been machined to slide under the feet to help support. I guess they learned it after having to replace broken cannisters as well.

Other than that, have fun!"

Easy enough to address, and I will be doing.

Cheers,
Nog

The Hermit
02-06-2021, 11:16 AM
Good Stuff.

Just a bit of a Head's Up Bill, this was posted on the Alberta Forum regarding these same units:

"I'll give you some free advice... Make a small board that will slide in under the legs of the cannister to give additional support to the side brackets.

I've snapped off 3 brackets and had to return 3 units before I built a small board to go under the feet on the legs. That 1/4" of clearance is good for getting the cannister into the stuff unit itself, but they won't hold 20 pounds + the pressure needed to blast it out a tube (smaller pepperoni tubes require extra pressure).

All the stuffers now sold at CTR in Calgary now come with a small piece of puck board that's been machined to slide under the feet to help support. I guess they learned it after having to replace broken cannisters as well.

Other than that, have fun!"

Easy enough to address, and I will be doing.

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks will do! Please send a picture when you get yours built. Hard to visualize without having the unit in front of me. Maybe that is why the great sale price?

IronNoggin
02-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Thanks will do! Please send a picture when you get yours built. Hard to visualize without having the unit in front of me. Maybe that is why the great sale price?

Will do Buddy.
Oddly I can't find even a single other report of that occurring anywhere.
However being one that likes to err on the side of caution, it is easy enough to deal with.
Preventative maintenance as it were.

I don't think that was or is the reason for the sale.
Princess Auto regularly puts each one of it's vertical stuffers on sale pretty much every year.
Already the 5 and 10 pounders have gone through their sales offerings.
This was simply next.

I really like this unit.
Appears very robust, and professionally built.
But I don't mind a simple precaution if it makes it last longer.
Hoping I never have to buy another here...

Cheers,
Nog

The Hermit
02-13-2021, 04:27 PM
Well in for a penny... just ordered the 20 lb Cabelas Meat Mixer too. They used to be $300 and got it for $200! Now to find some casings and spices! I have a fair bit of venison to get started with and will be focused on getting a couple bears this spring now! Cheers.

IronNoggin
02-13-2021, 04:41 PM
Well in for a penny... just ordered the 20 lb Cabelas Meat Mixer too. They used to be $300 and got it for $200! Now to find some casings and spices! I have a fair bit of venison to get started with and will be focused on getting a couple bears this spring now! Cheers.

Damn!! Got a link?
Partner's turn to purchase, this fits right in.
But I can't seem to find it on sale?

Hoping...
Nog

IslandWanderer
02-13-2021, 05:02 PM
I was looking at one of these at Princess Auto- just wasn't sure if I'd use it enough.

On a related note, has anyone here used one of the old cast iron F Dick sausage stuffers?

IslandWanderer
02-14-2021, 03:58 PM

I bought an unused older version of the Cabelas mixer today. I figured since folks seem to enjoy making sausage so much, I should try making it too. $135 with an unused burger maker and papers.

https://i.postimg.cc/0MWbPKGf/20210214-144841.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0MWbPKGf)