PDA

View Full Version : First Elk Hunt 2021

RugDoctor
02-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Going on an elk hunt...first time. It’s me and my son going (his current dream hunt), and we’re spiking it in the Kootenays.

What’s everyone’s go-to for dried meals these days? Mt. House is a fave for us both, but at $16 a bag....I think we can do better, and really, I tend to get tired of them after a couple of days. Been looking up recipes on the inter webs....I have a couple of dehydrators, smoker, vacuum sealer so am thinking about putting some together. I’m thinking that we could cook any meat products the night before, and vacuum seal them, and add them to any dehydrated stuff we make. Should last for 5 - 7 days vacuum sealed? Thinking Ramen, oatmeal, dried potatoes/eggs etc as well....any other suggestions? I’ve spiked out, but quite heavily in the past...lightening up now since I’m not getting any younger. What’re folks usual weight on packs in relation to body weight?

Anyone want to give any thoughts on areas and tactics, I’d love to hear it....like I said...first time for Elk, and also have not been to the Kootenays much at all...just provincial sites in the RV and rode through on bikes. Bought some diaphragm calls and will get a tube....but not sure if there’s a huge difference in tubes and diaphragms? We expect to put boots to the ground....a lot....so not sure of the typical terrain there...rocky? Steep? Thick? All of the above is what I expect (and we will scout).

Thoughts on things to bring? I have pretty much all the gear I think I need, but you never know what others have experienced in that area....we’re thinking near Elkford, maybe Fernie area but we are going to head there for a couple of scouting trips....probably at least once together in the trailer, but also a couple of individual trips on the ole KLR to take the gear we’re going to use to be sure it’s sufficient. We’ll scout through the summer, but I think we’ll be there early/mid September...unless someone says that’s the worst time....

Lots of questions....hopefully someone has some thoughts, and I appreciate them all! Thanks for any input!

browningboy
02-03-2021, 02:37 PM
The Flathead River area was the last place I hunted for elk near Fernie, was gorgeous, lots of bears but what we did was get up high and glass, seen the elk but nothing legal. I can't comment on spike hunting as I've never done that but I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!

madcalfe
02-03-2021, 03:02 PM
well i cant really help you out on hunting elk in that area because I've never hunted there but food wise, mountain house sucks. buy PEAK its a dollar more than mountain house and i guarantee you its 100x tastier. making your own oatmeal for breakfast is way better than mountain house dehydrated bacon and eggs.
There should be lots of recipes on the internet for dehydrated backpacking meals just find some that peak your interest and test it out.

RugDoctor
02-03-2021, 03:05 PM
The Flathead River area was the last place I hunted for elk near Fernie, was gorgeous, lots of bears but what we did was get up high and glass, seen the elk but nothing legal. I can't comment on spike hunting as I've never done that but I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!
Awesome, thanks! Will google earth the area at the very least....and we should be able to get high and glass for sure!

RugDoctor
02-03-2021, 03:08 PM
well i cant really help you out on hunting elk in that area because I've never hunted there but food wise, mountain house sucks. buy PEAK its a dollar more than mountain house and i guarantee you its 100x tastier. making your own oatmeal for breakfast is way better than mountain house dehydrated bacon and eggs.
There should be lots of recipes on the internet for dehydrated backpacking meals just find some that peak your interest and test it out.
I think I saw that one of our sponsors is selling PEAK and checked it....it’s certainly not all about money....ya wanna play, ya gotta pay, but at 16 -17 bucks a bag for a couple guys 5 - 7 days we’re getting into quite a bit for meals. I know that we will be getting at least a few of them, so will for sure try the PEAK.....Backpackers Pantry sucked balls.

LBM
02-03-2021, 03:11 PM
you just strictly looking for elk, no interest in goats or deer.

RugDoctor
02-03-2021, 05:12 PM
you just strictly looking for elk, no interest in goats or deer.
Good point....I’m sure we’ll be packing tags and make decisions on the fly....our main goal is elk for sure. That said....if I stumble across a giant 4 point and I can take it....it’s coming home with me. Goat too....I just haven’t yet put any research into that....not even sure the season/rules there yet, but you can bet I’ll be looking at it!

KodiakHntr
02-03-2021, 05:20 PM
Don't even bother buying anything BUT Peak Refuel. That stuff is real food, and good portion sizes. I personally like most Mtn House flavours and have eaten them for years in the mountains, but Peak blows that stuff right out of the water.

RackStar
02-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Get a bugle tube you use with diaphragm calls. Best route for bugling.

although my friend does well with power bugle.

I like Reid’s and bugle tube myself..

RackStar
02-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Keep the Reid’s in your truck and practice on the way to work everyday until you get muscle memory

RugDoctor
02-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Keep the Reid’s in your truck and practice on the way to work everyday until you get muscle memory
There’s definitely a technique I need to learn! I’m sounding more like a jackrabbit distress right now. Pretty sure the cat is going insane....and the neighbours think I am....

HarryToolips
02-03-2021, 09:45 PM
Get a bugle tube you use with diaphragm calls. Best route for bugling.

although my friend does well with power bugle.

I like Reid’s and bugle tube myself..
Me too....it's fun once you get proficient at it....can't comment on the are you mentioned OP as I've never hunted that particular area....

backstrap
02-04-2021, 11:18 AM
I switched to peak meals as well and will never go back to mtn house or backpackers pantry. As for the dehydrator start with chilli and or spaghetti it works good and gives you an idea of what works. Also do some testing at home to make sure you know how much water to add to each specific meal you make and what the hydration times will be. The heavier ziploc freezer bags will handle boiling water and if you seal it and tuck it in your sleeping bag it stays hot while it’s rehydrating . I’d bring one bigger bag as a second layer just in case you have a leak. Or you can wash out and use a bag from one of your store bought meals as an insulator/leak barrier.

Lots of bears where we went in the Kootneays. I did a 9 day backpack trip there a couple years ago for sheep and we saw 24 grizzlies, only 2 close enough to worry about. Definitely saw elk and goats as well as wolves a handful of deer and a wolverine. Beautiful area, but it’s massive and can be tough. Be prepared to cover a lot of ground to find game...be mobile, be prepared and enjoy the work!

huntingfamily
02-04-2021, 12:31 PM
While elk hunting pretty much anywhere in BC you soon learn where there are elk there are g-bears too.
And more recently that can include not just elk but any ungulate.

RugDoctor
02-05-2021, 06:04 PM
I’m getting the impression that I should buy a PAC alarm.

I’m buying a PAC alarm.

kodimack
02-05-2021, 07:19 PM
The backpackingchef.com may be worth a look for dehydrated meal ideas
Cheers

walker1985
02-05-2021, 11:05 PM

Definitely a good idea. I just picked up some Elk and Turkey diaphragm calls and I've been driving the kids nuts on the car with them lol. But the drive in to work is a fantastic time to practice 👍

RugDoctor
02-07-2021, 07:50 PM
hang around the river bottom lotsa spike and elk in the bottom bring a fishing rod lots of fishing to be had on the river if your looking for a spike if not try any road closure up the bull and be prepared to visit with your neighbours from vancouver as they will all be there too good luck bring a bike for road closures and a carriage to pack out game might be hot the way the global warming is going on and be prepared for the bears are they are numerous and educated especially in the elk valley your gun shot is a dinner bell all the best to you and good luck
Great info...thank you...I really appreciate the thought about the fishing rod...I was wondering about this, but thinking we’ll be up high? Maybe a little of both if we can cover the ground. This brings up a good question....I see that bulls are bow only, and rifle season is 6 point. We are both bow hunters, but recognize the difficulty in the hunt.....any thoughts as far as more opportunity in the bow only season, or get in there for a 6 point and have the range to work with in rifle season?

KodiakHntr
02-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Depends on your calling ability and skill in working an elk while playing the wind more than anything. If you are an accomplished bowhunter then the bow season and bugling bulls are a LOT of fun. I used to love that first 9 days when I lived around Cranbrook.
Depends on what you are looking to get out of the experience mostly. Archery bulls in the Kootenays is a pretty fulfilling experience.

RugDoctor
02-07-2021, 09:14 PM
Depends on your calling ability and skill in working an elk while playing the wind more than anything. If you are an accomplished bowhunter then the bow season and bugling bulls are a LOT of fun. I used to love that first 9 days when I lived around Cranbrook.
Depends on what you are looking to get out of the experience mostly. Archery bulls in the Kootenays is a pretty fulfilling experience.
Well....my calling ability is what it will be once I get out there after having practiced while watching the pros at YouTube university. I think the experience will be what it is...meaning it’ll be great no matter what. I’m patient with my bow, and can shoot it well enough....just not sure where my odds are best....finding a 6 point, or creeping in during any bull....and I’m more focused on success for sure.

250 Nosler
02-07-2021, 10:18 PM
Bull river is good dont have to put boots on till your ready to dont go up high cause you cant see anything contour of the slides 45 years up there with 95% sucess stay in the road and glass bugle till you see something or get a response they are still there but not as many as before

j270wsm
02-08-2021, 12:17 PM
we’re thinking near Elkford.

stay out of my back yard......these elk are mine!!

180grainer
02-09-2021, 05:36 PM
Thought I'd bump this to the top. I've never hunted out that way. Curious about elk and white tail. I hear the Fernie area is good for whities.

combine pilot
02-10-2021, 06:32 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1775/6283/files/wise-company-food-logo-web.png?v=1607036225They were $11 at Canadian Tire last fall.