PDA

View Full Version : Shooting sticks / tripods / bipods

Onchy
01-30-2021, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

I am in the market for an a field optic/shooting rest of sorts. Preferably a do all situation to keep pack loads light, and would appreciate hearing from peoples experiences in the field.
Glassed up a solid buck last year during November, but blew my opportunity for a clear view due to buck fever and the shakes (fairly new self taught hunter). Just couldn't get my binos settled and confirm the 4th sticker or not so I watched him wander off.

Currently looked at the vortex tripods online but have heard they are somewhat flimsy. Seems they have a new line out although quite pricey - im ok with that, kinda of a buy once cry once person if worth it.
Not huge on a rifle mounted bipod due to weight and imbalance when in timber
Was looking at the primus shooting sticks, but have heard the trigger freezes in cold temps.

Anyone have a reliable favorite that they would recommend checking out? Or any major pro's/con's?

Jamesonm
01-30-2021, 12:42 PM
I have a digi manfrotto that it quite light and pretty stable. it's old but still work for me. i also made my own DIY gun rest out of some pvc and soft rubber that clips into the tripod like the spotter.

Jagermeister
01-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Get a extendable hiking pole. Cabelas, comes with a fork type top as well as the regular round one. Serves two purposes..

ROY-alty33
01-30-2021, 01:16 PM
BogPod
You will not regret it!

whitlers
01-30-2021, 06:54 PM
I use a Sirui tripod and VA-5 head with an outdoorsman adapter for my binos. If I can't find a rest or shoot of my pack I can shoot off the tripod as is. That being said I have wanted to add a shooting yoke to my tripod for more control.

The tripod is quite light but sturdy enough for the weight. I would go with something a bit stouter next time.

Would highly recommend the outdoorsman bino adapter. Glassing with your binos off a tripod is a game changer.

Onchy
01-30-2021, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. The more I think of it I like the walking/shooting stick idea and have a proper tripod for the binos/ future spotter. Ill look up the ones mentioned
Cheers

wallz
01-30-2021, 11:32 PM
I have a field optics research carbon tripod that I can mount my rifle onto the head. Small rail adapter on stock makes it a nice way to shoot. Two legs unscrew for walking sticks when need be, and can still use a single leg in a pinch when needed to shoot from. Light to carry as it is under 3 lbs yet capacity is 35 lbs. FT 6229 is the model.
Nightforce also has one similar, but more $$.

Onchy
02-01-2021, 09:44 PM
Those look really slick. Did you have to order from states? Quick look seems thats the only option.

Phila
02-01-2021, 10:41 PM
Have been through the same decision process over the past 5 years, this is what I learned.

For ranges out to 100 yards or so a single stick can be a big help. Not all shooting sticks can bear your weight as walking sticks.

Bipods or a secured pair of walking sticks provide stability from 200 to 300 yards, depending on your setup. Anything shorter than a sitting height bipod is kind of useless unless you are on a range, bald prairie or above in the alpine or sub alpine, as brush obscures your vision in a prone position.

Tripods like the Bogpod give you increased stability for longer shots. Take a little longer to set up, but you likely will have more time if the game is beyond 200 yards.

I have evolved to using a pair of adjustable hiking sticks the past couple of years. I use them as a shooting bipod setup by binding them together with a rubber strap at the top. This provided a very stable shooting rest for me in a sitting position out to 250 yards this past fall. The hiking poles are extremely useful for getting up and down slopes, so I have them with me anyway. Lighter than my Bogpod and longer and more versatile than my sitting height Harris Bipod. There is a brand of hiking pole that comes with a screw in rifle yoke. Can be used as a binocular rest also.

Hope this helps.

walker1985
02-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Spartan is coming out with a new tripod with a center column that works for your rifle and optics called the"ascent" supposed to be out soon. But it's a do it all tripod where you can remove the legs for trekking poles as well. https://javelinbipod.com/collections/tripods-1/products/ascent-tripod definitely pricey though $$$$$

whitlers
02-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Spartan is coming out with a new tripod with a center column that works for your rifle and optics called the"ascent" supposed to be out soon. But it's a do it all tripod where you can remove the legs for trekking poles as well. https://javelinbipod.com/collections/tripods-1/products/ascent-tripod definitely pricey though $$$$$

Spartan makes great stuff but I would sooner just put their shooting yoke on a quick release for your existing tripod.

I have to agree with above^. Bipods are great for open country but ask yourself how often you are going to use one and what country you typically hunt.

KodiakHntr
02-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Personally, I always have 2 things with me. My SG pack (even hunting whitetails where I walked right from the house) and a pair of carbon fiber hiking poles. The hiking poles are either used, on my pack, or in my hand with the wrist loops hooked over the top of the other pole. Spread them apart and you have a stable platform to put your binoculars over, or put your rifle over them. Not sure how many animals I have killed that way, but its a fair number. Last couple elk were shot like that, as well as some deer and maybe a couple dozen coyotes. Fast, easy to set up, and I always have them with me.

wallz
02-02-2021, 12:40 PM
Those look really slick. Did you have to order from states? Quick look seems thats the only option.

Yep, but it was a painless process, once they finally had stock.

Onchy
02-03-2021, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated! Going to do a bit more digging and weigh my options a bit.

lwing
02-03-2021, 11:15 PM
I use the primos hunting stick, excellent concept made with cheap Chinese crap quality. If you baby your gear it probably be fine, I’d pay 5x what I paid to have that set up made with high end quality parts.

Saskhunter
02-06-2021, 08:03 AM
I use the primos hunting stick, excellent concept made with cheap Chinese crap quality. If you baby your gear it probably be fine, I’d pay 5x what I paid to have that set up made with high end quality parts.

i agree, I have three sets, me-wife and little fella and they all fail. When the temp gets cooler, like during most fall hunting seasons, they won’t stay extended. Most times one of the legs wants to slide back in and you have a wreck.

emerson
02-06-2021, 10:16 AM
The price of a high end light tripod for glassing and shooting is the same as a mid tier rifle sans scope. How many guns can you shoot at once? Messing around with an ARCA rail rifle chassis has opened my eyes. 1 MOA steady anywhere at a height from 24”-60” with a good light collapsable tripod changes things. A chassis with a “barricade stop magwell” means almost anything is a solid rest.

Sportster
02-06-2021, 02:14 PM
I've been using Primos shooting stick for years . There also great for glassing ,just rest your binos on top and it takes the fatigue of trying to hold your binos up for long periods of time away.I've used mine in many shooting situations [while hunting] with great success. Never experienced the Triger sticking , and I've hunted with them in lots of extreme weather conditions. A great hunting asset IMO.

IslandWanderer
01-18-2022, 10:15 PM
Anyone have any experience with either the gen 2 or 3 primos sticks? Seems like some folks are having issues with them in the durability department.

Also looking at the bog death grip. Looks durable, but heavy.

Rob
01-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Good video on YouTube, "home-made shooting sticks" fella uses a couple lengths of dowel
and a Prussik knot. Make your own length sticks and only cost about 10 bucks. Can slide the knot and adjust the position.

IslandWanderer
01-18-2022, 10:57 PM
Good video on YouTube, "home-made shooting sticks" fella uses a couple lengths of dowel
and a Prussik knot. Make your own length sticks and only cost about 10 bucks. Can slide the knot and adjust the position.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It sounds great.

Rob
01-18-2022, 11:05 PM
I've made a few sets, they work really well. I use hiking poles onots of trips but not when I'm still hunting for whitetail/mulies in semi
bush/open country, these I can have in my pack with tips sticking out either side, then pull them.out when needed.

Rob
01-18-2022, 11:05 PM
Meant to say on lots of trips...lol

IslandWanderer
01-19-2022, 04:57 PM
I've made a few sets, they work really well. I use hiking poles onots of trips but not when I'm still hunting for whitetail/mulies in semi
bush/open country, these I can have in my pack with tips sticking out either side, then pull them.out when needed.

Very cool video. I like the way the knot can be moved around as needed.

alberta hunter
01-21-2022, 08:11 AM
I sent my primos trigger stick back to primos, mine was broken, sent it in 3 pieces, well my new 3rd gen stick arrives this week, great warranty from them, as this was my fault breaking mine, good company to just send me a new 3 gen model.

GEF
02-07-2022, 08:11 AM
I used the triple leg Primos trigger sticks .They are a bit heavy but worked really well.The quickly adjustable height is a huge feature .They go with me everywhere now.
My hunting partner used them to take a deer at 390 yds .Put his back against a tree combined with the trigger sticks and was successful.Says it was rock steady .I was able to try them out to 400 yds with the same method and held a4 inch group.
Bonus was we used them combined with a Waterski rope handle to drag the deer out .We just put the rope in the notch of the trigger stick, set the height and used it as a lever to get the head and shoulders over the dead fall .Worked slick never broke a sweat .Long drag back thru a burn .Needless to say he now has a set as well .