PDA

View Full Version : just found this about wild bore

butthead
01-29-2021, 08:59 AM
https://www.facebook.com/WildPigResearch/photos
looks promising for future pig hunts

saskbooknut
01-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Wild boar are destructive, invasive, disease carrying vermin, to be exterminated, to the extent that is possible.
This is the official position of Saskatchewan Environment and Resource Management.
My opinion also.

huntingfamily
01-29-2021, 09:47 AM
https://www.facebook.com/WildPigResearch/photos
looks promising for future pig hunts

The only thing promising about this will be destruction of farmland, disease, and misplaced native species by invasive ones.
This is something we do not want!

DarekG
01-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Despite what many others will say, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but I've seen a feral pig (in region 8!) run across the road in front of me and onto crown land. It was near a pig farm. They're already here.

Springer
01-29-2021, 01:32 PM
I hunted Wild Boar in Saskatchewan this year. I was blown away how deep they root into the frozen ground. I would say at least 16" and it was amongst the poplar trees. Their tusks continue to grow as they wear them down and i can see why.
https://i.imgur.com/Tia75gW.jpg
This pic is my Sons Boar cause his was bigger ..lol
Also super tough. Complete pass through the lungs on Both our Pigs. They did not tip over until they bled out. I shot mine a second time then it finally laid now and peacefully expired..

My Hog.
https://i.imgur.com/FabvqCM.jpg

butthead
01-29-2021, 05:58 PM
best eating meat ive ever had

huntingfamily
01-29-2021, 06:21 PM
I've had it in Germany, it was ok. Doesn't compare favourably to elk or stone sheep imo...

warnniklz
01-29-2021, 07:10 PM
https://scontent.fyvr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/144264726_10164996392220387_7980482095344144974_o. jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=0be424&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=TiK4LA4aSQ0AX9AH6Am&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr1-1.fna&tp=14&oh=471f5d076a0c36fc5ff819d2ff701a62&oe=603C16E2

Nazko highway

IslandWanderer
01-29-2021, 07:20 PM
I hunted Wild Boar in Saskatchewan this year. I was blown away how deep they root into the frozen ground. I would say at least 16" and it was amongst the poplar trees. Their tusks continue to grow as they wear them down and i can see why.
https://i.imgur.com/Tia75gW.jpg
This pic is my Sons Boar cause his was bigger ..lol
Also super tough. Complete pass through the lungs on Both our Pigs. They did not tip over until they bled out. I shot mine a second time then it finally laid now and peacefully expired..

My Hog.
https://i.imgur.com/FabvqCM.jpg

I've thought of going to one of those high fence places in Alberta. Not actually hunting, but still interesting.

Was this a canned hunt, or are they running wild there?

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 07:29 PM
The so called "wild boars" in Canada are domestic pigs went feral.
Whereas in Europe they been around probably more than a thousand years.
Although they do some damage to farms once in a while, they seem to manage them fairly well.
The best smoked suasage I ever had was made from wildboar and they are good to cook just about every way.

huntingfamily
01-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Although they do some damage to farms once in a while, they seem to manage them fairly well.
The best smoked suasage I ever had was made from wildboar and they are good to cook just about every way.

You've obviously never been to Germany and seen the damage lol. I've hunted and shot them over there. They are a huge problem, not unlike Texas!

They are invasive there too, coming over from Russia according to locals.

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 07:53 PM
Huh? You've obviously never been to Germany and seen the damage. I've hunted and shot them over there. They are a huge problem, not unlike Texas!

I am not sure where they were coming from in the first place.
I have been to Hungary, they have a pretty large population of wildboars
and yes they do damage, but like I said, they manage it reasonably well.

Redthies
01-29-2021, 07:55 PM
Springer: it’s weird but both your pigs seem to have eaten sticks the hard way. How odd...

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about if you've never been there.

Well, not to Germany, maybe they do more damage there.
However I know hunters come from all over Europe and overseas to hunt them in Hungary, because they have some huge boars.

REMINGTON JIM
01-29-2021, 08:30 PM
I arrowed a Russian Wild Boar about (250 lbs) live weight at 20 yards with a 80 lb bow shooting 425 gr arrows at about 325 fps and expandable broadheads - it went thru the lungs and just came out the far side - he ran down the trail a ways - stopped then pulled that arrow out of himself with his mouth -then took off again - I tracked him to his Den in a big old log and dirt pile about 500 yards away ! I dispatched him with a head shot from a 22 . His hide was about 3/8 " thick ! The meat was good but a Bit strong - Dark Meat - Was a Fun Time - :wink: RJ

huntingfamily
01-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Well, not to Germany, maybe they do more damage there.
However I know hunters come from all over Europe and overseas to hunt them in Hungary, because they have some huge boars.

Yes I've heard the same.
The real difference over there is that there is only brief periods when they aren't hunted. Hunters on reviers are required to harvest them due to crop damage. It isn't optional, and the revier holders can be fined large amounts if they aren't doing their 'job'.
It's not like a 'recreational' hunt that we have here.
The 2 most effective methods are sitting in a 'hochsitz' during a full moon with your uber large objective lensed Zeiss.
Or driven hunts with dogs pushing them in a coordinated
fashion towards hunters in stands.
When I leave there it's always, 'take some boars with you'!

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 08:45 PM
Yes I've heard the same.
The real difference over there is that there is only brief periods when they aren't hunted. Hunters on reviers are required to harvest them due to crop damage. It isn't optional, and the revier holders can be fined large amounts if they aren't doing their 'job'.
It's not like a 'recreational' hunt that we have here.
The 2 most effective methods are sitting in a 'hochsitz' during a full moon with your uber large objective lensed Zeiss.
Or driven hunts with dogs pushing them in a coordinated
fashion towards hunters in stands.
When I leave there it's always, 'take some boars with you'!

Yes those are the 2 methods hunting them, but I don't know what the season or how long.
I do know local people who belong to any of the hunting clubs, can hunt them all year round.
Man I would love to have some wildboar meat!

huntingfamily
01-30-2021, 10:03 AM
Yes those are the 2 methods hunting them, but I don't know what the season or how long.
I do know local people who belong to any of the hunting clubs, can hunt them all year round.

Saskatchewan

Springer
01-30-2021, 10:29 AM

Hey wildcatter, Where in the Cariboo are you from. I am headed to Lac La Hache in may or June. I could try to bring a sample if theres some left by then. The meat is very lean, i was hoping it would have had more fat on it. I mixed it with my Elk from this fall . PM me closer to this time period .
Im going to to try and brine the Hams and cook them whole.

https://i.imgur.com/566OMtX.jpg

2stroked
01-30-2021, 11:43 AM
https://scontent.fyvr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/144264726_10164996392220387_7980482095344144974_o. jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=0be424&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=TiK4LA4aSQ0AX9AH6Am&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr1-1.fna&tp=14&oh=471f5d076a0c36fc5ff819d2ff701a62&oe=603C16E2

Nazko highway

Where on Nazko Hwy. I have never seen or heard of them there

wildcatter
01-30-2021, 11:53 AM
Hey wildcatter, Where in the Cariboo are you from. I am headed to Lac La Hache in may or June. I could try to bring a sample if theres some left by then. The meat is very lean, i was hoping it would have had more fat on it. I mixed it with my Elk from this fall . PM me closer to this time period .
Im going to to try and brine the Hams and cook them whole.

https://i.imgur.com/566OMtX.jpg

Hey Springer, I'm in Forest Grove, 20 minutes off HWY 97 but I could meet you in 100 Mile House.
You could smoke the hams instead of cooking, they should be really good.

Bugle M In
01-30-2021, 11:57 AM
yup, there is a difference, although both version can be very destructive.
And yes, they are managed very well in Europe, and anyone holding a hunting area permit (remember, mostly private property),
HAS TO take X Amount of certain Species each year and failure ot do so will end up in them losing that area and it given to another.

Big difference there is that there is a good working relation between hunter and farmer in Europe to make opportunities happen and its a win win
for both parties.
Not really the case here quite often.
Over there, there is an acceptance of the situation.
Over here, one group would like to see no creature on their fields...ever!
Sort of explains 1 of many issues here in BC.

Remember though, boar are not indigenous here.
But, they are one of the few species that can adapt well, breed like rabbits, and maintain a high population if one wanted to have something to hunt.
Ying and yang.

wildcatter
01-30-2021, 12:45 PM
And yes, they are managed very well in Europe, and anyone holding a hunting area permit (remember, mostly private property),
HAS TO take X Amount of certain Species each year and failure ot do so will end up in them losing that area and it given to another.

Big difference there is that there is a good working relation between hunter and farmer in Europe to make opportunities happen and its a win win
for both parties.

But, they are one of the few species that can adapt well, breed like rabbits, and maintain a high population if one wanted to have something to hunt.
Ying and yang.

You are pretty well right about everything.
The difference I was thinking between the ones here and in Europe is they are not
so wild here and I'm thinking the taste of the meat is not like the European ones.

In Europe they are part of culture for centuries, hence the acceptance is more favourable
and for sure the farmers and hunting clubs that manage certain areas, work together.

Walking Buffalo
01-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Springer,

Was this a fenced "hunt"?

Redthies
01-30-2021, 02:10 PM

for both parties.

Ying and yang.

My father in law was the head forester in his region of southern Germany for a couple of decades. Part of his daily routine was hunting boar with his Dachshunds. The difference in the way forests and lands are managed is massive. They definitely have their stuff figured out over there, but then they also don’t have any FN BS, and are missing a few key things in the eco system, such as predators so they really need to be on it with management.

Their house (came with the job) had literally centuries worth of mounts on the walls. It was almost too much in some rooms! You’d go out to the wood shed and there would be pails and pails full of legs. Incidentally, he started out his career with a forestry degree from UBC in the late 60s. Unfortunately I never got to hunt with him, but that’s probably just as well. He was a complete ass, and there might have been an “accident” :mrgreen:

saskbooknut
01-30-2021, 03:10 PM
Feral pigs in Saskatchewan are a somewhat variable cross between European wild boar and domestic pigs.

Bugle M In
01-30-2021, 03:49 PM
My father in law was the head forester in his region of southern Germany for a couple of decades. Part of his daily routine was hunting boar with his Dachshunds. The difference in the way forests and lands are managed is massive. They definitely have their stuff figured out over there, but then they also don’t have any FN BS, and are missing a few key things in the eco system, such as predators so they really need to be on it with management.

Their house (came with the job) had literally centuries worth of mounts on the walls. It was almost too much in some rooms! You’d go out to the wood shed and there would be pails and pails full of legs. Incidentally, he started out his career with a forestry degree from UBC in the late 60s. Unfortunately I never got to hunt with him, but that’s probably just as well. He was a complete ass, and there might have been an “accident” :mrgreen:
LOL....i hear ya.
I did get the opportunity to hunt there twice and both times had success.
And yes, they don't have all the other BS we have here.
There are a lot of negative factors here in BC which have accumulated to our sad state of affairs.
Definitely simpler and better managed there for sure.

But hunting at night under full moon and no spotlights flashlights allowed makes for a different hunt for sure.
Always glad i had the opportunity.
And damn tasty too.

mpotzold
05-16-2021, 01:56 PM
Wild boar drive by shooting in Australian Outback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqf1EPRLDls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqf1EPRLDls)

Mulehahn
05-16-2021, 03:02 PM
That was a fun video. Can only dream of that here.

Drillbit
05-17-2021, 02:16 PM

I saw one in the back of a guys trailer at Sylvia's last fall. He shot it around the 46 board on the Kluskus road. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
It was huge too.

Apparently a bunch got loose from a guy trying to pig farm at Hidden lake

Bigdoggdon
05-17-2021, 09:54 PM
The anti's are gonna have a field day with that one good thing it wasn't filmed in BC. I wonder how many they accidentally ran over after they got shot.

warnniklz
05-17-2021, 11:37 PM
I saw one in the back of a guys trailer at Sylvia's last fall. He shot it around the 46 board on the Kluskus road. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
It was huge too.

The ones I seen were right by a farm between Sylvia's and Douchie Lake

They had ear tags

RackStar
05-18-2021, 06:51 AM
That was a fun video. Can only dream of that here.

I don’t think we actually want this here ... what a nightmare if the population was that big.

we can still be the best place in the world to hunt without hogs!

mooze
05-18-2021, 08:01 AM
You've obviously never been to Germany and seen the damage lol. I've hunted and shot them over there. They are a huge problem, not unlike Texas!

the SK and Alberta boars are not feral pigs, they are the original thing, from Europe/Russia, brought in with government support in the 80, called farm diversification program. They are just impossible to contain and when some farms went bust they just rebased the animals.
There are nests of them south of SK inn the river valley, near Loydminster, and a commercial operation near Prince Albert with unintentional, but frequent releases ( their fence although dug into the ground for 18in is just not enough).

2stroked
05-18-2021, 09:39 AM
It was huge too.

Wow. Hidden lake to the Kluskus road must have worn down those little legs. Wish I had seen it

Drillbit
05-18-2021, 01:06 PM
Wow. Hidden lake to the Kluskus road must have worn down those little legs. Wish I had seen it

The day it was shot was the day after the SPCA loaded up the pigs that were left at hidden lake into cattle liners. They had been left there for awhile by then. There's no way the one that I saw shot was from that group, but maybe it could've wander that far in a month. I figured it got away from someone out in Nazko.
But lots did get away before the cattle liners came. I haven't seen one since out there and I've been looking! haha