PDA

View Full Version : Inflatables with folding aluminum floor.......... thoughts

Leveraction
01-28-2021, 10:03 PM
I’m looking into a 9-12 foot inflatable and possibly a 3-4.5 horse outboard.

what I’m wondering about is the stability in an inflatable with a rigid floor that’s part of the rubber and obviously inflates and gets rigid while your inflating the rest of the boat, but how rigid is it ?, vs a fold up aluminium sectional floor.
I see some descent zodiacs for ~ $1400, plus a little outboard for ~ $ 700, you could set yourself up good for under $2500.00

thoughts , I’d appreciate some first hand comments.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE ADVICE, IM GOING TO LEAN TOWARDS AN ALUMINUM FLOOR.

albravo2
01-28-2021, 10:33 PM
I've had an aluminum floor model. It was a JP Marine, bought off a member here but I can't remember who. Great boat.

I think mine was 14' and I had a 40 on it. it went a bit fast. The aluminum floor made it nice and rigid.

My original thought was to get a jet for it like HBC member Gattho or ElectricDyck but I didn't find it that portable so I went a different direction.

REMINGTON JIM
01-29-2021, 12:14 AM
I have a 10 ft inflatable with a multi piece aluminum floor - I run a 6 hp 4 stroke Yammy on it as well as a 28 lb electric motor.

The Boat is the most stable i have ever being in BETTER then any aluminum boat i have used and there has being a few - i LOVE it ! RJ

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 12:26 AM
I’m looking into a 9-12 foot inflatable and possibly a 3-4.5 horse outboard.

what I’m wondering about is the stability in an inflatable with a rigid floor that’s part of the rubber and obviously inflates and gets rigid while your inflating the rest of the boat, but how rigid is it ?, vs a fold up aluminium sectional floor.
I see some descent zodiacs for ~ $1400, plus a little outboard for ~ $ 700, you could set yourself up good for under $2500.00

thoughts , I’d appreciate some first hand comments.

You are talking about an inflatable with a high pressure air floor.
The Achilles LSI-E series is the best out there, but not the cheapest.
https://achillesboats.com/boatmodels/tendersandsportboats/lsi/
Kits Inflatables in Vancouver sells them, I was the service manager there.
They are fairly rigid, but not quite as much as the ones with Aluminum floorboards.
They got an inflatable keel under the floor to give it a V shape.
The advantage is you don't need to take any floorboards out and re-install later,
just open all the valves and roll it up, easy.
They are very stable.

RackStar
01-29-2021, 07:12 AM
Can’t beat inflatable

high weight capacity. 2 guys can easily stand in a 9’ boat and fish out of it.
great for packing moose.

im looking at the cap-it inflatable this spring. Aluminum floor, comes in 3 siZes, made by Merlon in Abbotsford

silveragent
01-29-2021, 08:03 AM
Rode in one with aluminum floor that you have to snap into sections. Even with two people it seemed like a lot of work to snap it together with mashed fingers and straining and jumping on it to get something to move an inch. Yes, even when partially inflated. But there was no denying it felt very stable once on the water sitting, standing, jumping in and out. If it were me and I had space - and I don't - I would leave it built until end of the season. We were second at the launch but felt like the tenth to actually pull out because of the effort it took putting it together. It was the floor that was the most work. Everything else besides getting the motor on the transom the electric pump took care of.

pg83
01-29-2021, 09:01 AM
I've had a bit of experience with https://strykerboats.com/product-category/stryker-lx-inflatable-boats/ in both the ocean and lake settings. They are solid, local, yadda yadda yadda. I'm no salesman, but they might be right up your alley

butthead
01-29-2021, 09:06 AM
i had a 12 ft with wood floor and a 35 hp merk on it
wooden floor worked well for us
haulled ass about 47 mph empty
used it for scuba diving
need the bigger power if your putting any weight in it
4 tanks 2 guys and all our gear plus the bounty of the day

st99
01-29-2021, 09:32 AM
How are they on big lakes with big waves?

upnover
01-29-2021, 01:19 PM
I have a 10 foot Seabright with an inflatable floor. The floor is very rigid, but very comfortable to kneel on and if i brace my feet against each pontoon i can flycast all day long standing up without falling in. But dont buy a seabright, i have had seam issues from poor initial build quality. I would go another brand. That floor is very quiet and easy on my flylines.

tim3500
01-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Well after owning Zodiac ,Polaris .Achilles and a few cheeper of shore brand's had 10 ft to 17 ft ribs hear is my look at them . Pro :Can't beet the stability and safety nothing compares . Con: Anything made of fabric hates the Sun . Storage leave it inflated , taking it apart and together SUCKS! And added wear to the seams don't buy older units .As long as they last nothing lasts forever keep them 5 years and sell , best bang for your dollar hate to say but the Costco 12 ft version had 2 and never had a problem and sold and never lost a dollar .I am done with them next is a aluminum boat

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 08:36 PM
Well after owning Zodiac ,Polaris .Achilles and a few cheeper of shore brand's had 10 ft to 17 ft ribs hear is my look at them . Pro :Can't beet the stability and safety nothing compares . Con: Anything made of fabric hates the Sun . Storage leave it inflated , taking it apart and together SUCKS! And added wear to the seams don't buy older units .As long as they last nothing lasts forever keep them 5 years and sell , best bang for your dollar hate to say but the Costco 12 ft version had 2 and never had a problem and sold and never lost a dollar .I am done with them next is a aluminum boat

There is a remedy for sun/UV exposure called Polyguard, you apply once or twice a year and you are good.
The oldest Achilles I had in for puncture repair was 35 years old and it was still in fairly good shape.
Leaving inflated is a good idea if you have the space, it will make it last longer.

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 08:39 PM
Rode in one with aluminum floor that you have to snap into sections. Even with two people it seemed like a lot of work to snap it together with mashed fingers and straining and jumping on it to get something to move an inch. Yes, even when partially inflated. But there was no denying it felt very stable once on the water sitting, standing, jumping in and out. If it were me and I had space - and I don't - I would leave it built until end of the season. We were second at the launch but felt like the tenth to actually pull out because of the effort it took putting it together. It was the floor that was the most work. Everything else besides getting the motor on the transom the electric pump took care of.

There is a trick to put the floor boards in, much easier if you place the 2 oars under the bottom of the boat.

srupp
01-29-2021, 08:47 PM
Hmm I bought a 2 year old ACHILLES used it for 5 years for fly in hunts..with 2hp motor perfect fly in boat..I did not know about Ottos. Liquid sunshade solution..I merely put a plastic tarp over in while inflated and not in use.
Went to sell it my hunting partner bought it instantly..Loved Achilles quality..trusted my life on it.
Wooden snap together floor, inflatable keel...think it was 8 foot 9 "
Cheers
Srupp

fuzzybiscuit
01-29-2021, 09:02 PM
I use a 12-1/2’ Solar inflatable with the fully inflatable floor. I like it way better that the two other inflatables I had with aluminum floors. There is absolutely no issue standing up in it. Plus, roll it out and ten minutes later it’s inflated. There are tricks to getting a inflatable with the aluminum floor together but they are still a pita and the floors are pretty heavy.

wildcatter
01-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Hmm I bought a 2 year old ACHILLES used it for 5 years for fly in hunts..with 2hp motor perfect fly in boat..I did not know about Ottos. Liquid sunshade solution..I merely put a plastic tarp over in while inflated and not in use.
Went to sell it my hunting partner bought it instantly..Loved Achilles quality..trusted my life on it.
Wooden snap together floor, inflatable keel...think it was 8 foot 9 "
Cheers
Srupp

You should have kept it Steven.
Was it the LEX 77 or 88?
Mine is probably 20 years old, got it free from one of our customers and fixed it up.
It will be good for a few years more I'm sure.
I will try it out next summer on Canim, or Ruth Lake.
By the way, if somebody got a 4-5 HP outboard for sale I would be interested.

jonz
01-30-2021, 02:25 AM
Sectional floors are good but they are heavier and more difficult to assemble. I have a Saturn 330 w a high-pressure inflatable floor and use a Suzuki six horse with it.

silveragent
01-30-2021, 08:35 AM
Do any of these inflatables have dropstitch floors like you see now proliferating in inflatable kayaks and paddleboards? Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Arctic Lake
01-30-2021, 08:56 AM
I would be interested to know this as well ? You see a few on the ocean .
Arctic Lake

How are they on big lakes with big waves?

BromBones
01-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Do any of these inflatables have dropstitch floors like you see now proliferating in inflatable kayaks and paddleboards? Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Yes, they are pretty common now. I have a 15ft x 48'' inflatable with the high pressure air deck floor, use 6 & 9hp outboards on it. Its rock solid, no issues with the prop ventilating. Have run lots of rivers and bounced it over 2ft waves and it doesn't flex.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20992622_1368967106485200_1652785579064953979_n.jp g?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=RgPoNL-G9cEAX89FxYE&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=0766f1243b5dc371dfea3fd576b37735&oe=603AD6C5

silveragent
01-30-2021, 10:44 AM
Good to hear. What boat is that?

tom
01-30-2021, 10:54 AM
https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2018/01/14/IMGP1275.jpg

22 years old and no patch.

Tom

BromBones
01-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Good to hear. What boat is that?

Saturn Kaboat, XL470 Alaskan is the model. Great little hunting boat. I have the 6hp motor jacked up as high as it can go, and put a fin on it. In pea gravel or sand it will run in 8'' of water and pack a pretty good load.

silveragent
01-30-2021, 11:35 AM
Cool I was looking at the Saturns last year. How was Saturn like to deal with / buy from. How long have you had it? Any issues?

BromBones
01-30-2021, 07:39 PM
Had it 5 or 6 years now. Just a couple pinholes in it but more from my own carelessness. The bottom is 3 or 4 layer and can take a beating on the rocks.

Saturn is good to deal with, good customer service. Have heard the warranty is good, I voided my warranty though when I put the transom jack on it.

wildcatter
01-30-2021, 09:21 PM
https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2018/01/14/IMGP1275.jpg

22 years old and no patch.

Tom

Like I said it's the best out there, Japanese quality.
Should be good for another 10 years.

2tins
01-31-2021, 04:56 AM
Just to throw it out there, check out Solar boats from Russia. They're pretty cool.

Salty
02-01-2021, 09:17 AM
Good thread. I've had quite a bit of boating experience but next to nothing with inflatables.

Question- It seems even boats with inflatable floor if they're good quality have good puncture and abrasion protection on the bottom, how about the inside? ie how would they fair with a dog who's about like 70 pounds of dynamite at times :roll:

fuzzybiscuit
02-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Just to throw it out there, check out Solar boats from Russia. They're pretty cool.

Solar boats are well built but a waste unless you plan on running a jet outboard in the river. If you plan on running a jet the Solar and Alaskan Jet Ranger are the only 2 worth having because they are the only 2 made specifically to run a jet with the built in jet tunnel. I’ve been in a couple and know of many more people who put a jet on the back of a flat bottom inflatable and they all cavitated like a mother... I don’t have any first hand experience with the Jet Ranger but I have a Solar 380 and have 2 buddy’s with the Solar 420’s and they don’t cavitate unless the pump is right out of the water.

Sounds like the OP is just planning on running a small outboard so there are a lot of choices out there with a snap-together aluminum floor that would work fine for him.

st99
02-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Good thread. I've had quite a bit of boating experience but next to nothing with inflatables.

Question- It seems even boats with inflatable floor if they're good quality have good puncture and abrasion protection on the bottom, how about the inside? ie how would they fair with a dog who's about like 70 pounds of dynamite at times :roll:

I have the same concern, hopefully someone will answer.

dakoda62
02-01-2021, 12:52 PM
I picked up an intex 10ft inflatable, rated for 2 horse outboard. It has a plastic inserts for the rigid floor. stable enough to fly fish from, stable from side to side, however does move bow to stern. Nice thing about it is it rolls up into a bag, so easier to store, the boat, oars and outboard bracket are in another bag. Rated for 800#.

fuzzybiscuit
02-01-2021, 01:13 PM

I have the same concern, hopefully someone will answer.

It’s a hard one to answer because no two inflatables with inflatable floors are the same. The floor in my 380 Solar is very thick and would have no issue with a dog jumping around in it. I quite often run a collapsible camp chair in it without any issue. When you stand up in it it’s not like being on a trampoline; it’s very stable.

I’ve been in other inflatables though with inflatable floors that you would definitely need to watch what you placed in them and the floor gave quite a bit when walking around in it.

Astepanuk
02-01-2021, 01:40 PM
We packed the Intex® Mariner 3 Boat from Cabelas absolutely game changer, it handled 3 guys with ease we paddled will over 2-4Km a day on the lake we hunted. We crossed the lake in open water with a Caribou 3 guys and gear with no problem at all. Highly recommend this inflatable boat simple to inflate packs away super easy.

Salty
02-01-2021, 02:34 PM
It’s a hard one to answer because no two inflatables with inflatable floors are the same. The floor in my 380 Solar is very thick and would have no issue with a dog jumping around in it. I quite often run a collapsible camp chair in it without any issue. When you stand up in it it’s not like being on a trampoline; it’s very stable.

I’ve been in other inflatables though with inflatable floors that you would definitely need to watch what you placed in them and the floor gave quite a bit when walking around in it.

GTK thanks fuzzy. Could protect the floor with carpet or something mainly wondering how tough the tubes are with a dog bailing in and out all the time. Like you say will totally depend on the boat. I kind of like the looks of tom's Achilles they must be pretty tough to last 20 years. Just thinking a small back of the truck boat for some lakes with not much of a "road" to them and then needing to man handle a ways at the lake to get to the water. Friggn boats a guy needs like 10 of them for all the scenarios out there. lol

wildcatter
02-01-2021, 03:03 PM
A properly inflated air floor is like standing on an inflatable paddle board, but you have to be careful not to place sharp objects on it,
(don't wear your high heels:)) check the nails of your dogs, if need to be trim them.
I had an Achilles airfloor in for repair that had like 15 tiny leaks and I couldn't figure, till I found a little piece of prawn antenna stuck in it.
Otherwise they are very stable and easy to handle, however there can be a big difference in quality brand to brand.
The best ones are made of Hypalon fabric, not PVC.

Darksith
02-01-2021, 04:54 PM
Bought the Tobin Sport from Costco. Great boat. 4hp motor gets about 9km/h. weight was 135lbs (outboard not included). I would maybe goto a 6hp but thats about it for a fly in.

Ohwildwon
02-02-2021, 02:22 PM
I picked up an intex 10ft inflatable, rated for 2 horse outboard. It has a plastic inserts for the rigid floor. stable enough to fly fish from, stable from side to side, however does move bow to stern. Nice thing about it is it rolls up into a bag, so easier to store, the boat, oars and outboard bracket are in another bag. Rated for 800#.

Have the mariner 3 as well. Traced out the floor onto 5/8” ply. Cut in half and did a cove and bead.

Then 3 coats of spar varnish. Also made a little tray up front for the battery.

Highly recommend!

fuzzybiscuit
02-02-2021, 04:27 PM
The best ones are made of Hypalon fabric, not PVC.

This is true. Unfortunately no one makes a Hypalon inflatable with a jet tunnel or I’d have one. If you want to use a jet you’ll have to settle for PVC if you want decent performance out of it. But that fact has nothing to do with the OP’s intended use and for what he’s looking for the choices are endless. Spend the money on a good Hypalon and he’d probably never need another one or spend a fraction of that on a PVC unit and he’ll still get years of use out of it if he takes care of it.

wildcatter
02-02-2021, 07:11 PM
This is true. Unfortunately no one makes a Hypalon inflatable with a jet tunnel or I’d have one. If you want to use a jet you’ll have to settle for PVC if you want decent performance out of it. But that fact has nothing to do with the OP’s intended use and for what he’s looking for the choices are endless. Spend the money on a good Hypalon and he’d probably never need another one or spend a fraction of that on a PVC unit and he’ll still get years of use out of it if he takes care of it.

One of our costumers bought an AB Profile A15 put a Yamaha 50HP Jet on it and he is happy with how it handles.
http://www.abinflatables.com/professional-ribs/profile-a/
He's taken it on the Chilcotin River, Chilco Lake and a bunch of other places.
AB also make shallow draft models with pretty heavy duty aluminum hulls that are suitable for rivers.
http://www.abinflatables.com/professional-ribs/profile-as/
Some PVC boats are not too bad, but you have to maintain it well and keep it clean.

grantk
02-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Bought the Tobin Sport from Costco. Great boat. 4hp motor gets about 9km/h. weight was 135lbs (outboard not included). I would maybe goto a 6hp but thats about it for a fly in.

This one is pretty good value. I bought one lightly used from a friend. It flies with a 15hp 2-stroke.

Darksith
02-03-2021, 01:46 PM
This one is pretty good value. I bought one lightly used from a friend. It flies with a 15hp 2-stroke.

I bet! It flies with a 9.9 as well. But if flying in its more about weight than speed.

fuzzybiscuit
02-03-2021, 03:51 PM
One of our costumers bought an AB Profile A15 put a Yamaha 50HP Jet on it and he is happy with how it handles.
http://www.abinflatables.com/professional-ribs/profile-a/
He's taken it on the Chilcotin River, Chilco Lake and a bunch of other places.
AB also make shallow draft models with pretty heavy duty aluminum hulls that are suitable for rivers.
http://www.abinflatables.com/professional-ribs/profile-as/
Some PVC boats are not too bad, but you have to maintain it well and keep it clean.

AB makes some beauty boats but I can’t see how the A15 would work well with a outboard jet. The dead rise and hull design go against most of what I’ve learned about outboard jets. To also own any outboard jet without a jet tunnel is a recipe for disaster unless all you run in are deep rivers or lakes. I’ve had one and the first thing to hit is the pump followed quickly by being off step and high and dry. 35hp at the pump would be pretty anemic for a boat that heavy too. Nothing sticks to rocks better than aluminum so some bottom protection in the way of Teflon or puck-board would be in order or you take the chance of it being opened like a pop can miles from nowhere.

I have no doubt AB could build you anything you want but by then a guy is out of the cheap, light-weight and portable inflatable river boat market.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMkL9Wnb/381-CE245-4717-4-F93-9-ADE-C2-B2-BE9-C3-FB0.png (https://postimg.cc/7bW0zsK0)

wildcatter
02-03-2021, 04:00 PM
AB makes some beauty boats but I can’t see how the A15 would work well with a outboard jet. The dead rise and hull design go against most of what I’ve learned about outboard jets. To also own any outboard jet without a jet tunnel is a recipe for disaster unless all you run in are deep rivers or lakes. I’ve had one and the first thing to hit is the pump followed quickly by being off step and high and dry. 35hp at the pump would be pretty anemic for a boat that heavy too. Nothing sticks to rocks better than aluminum so some bottom protection in the way of Teflon or puck-board would be in order or you take the chance of it being opened like a pop can miles from nowhere.

I have no doubt AB could build you anything you want but by then a guy is out of the cheap, light-weight and portable inflatable river boat market.

Well it does work and the buyer is still happy, I think he bought it about 4 years ago.
We had Galleon Marine install the engine, positioning is crucial.
Here is a picture, by the way it was a 40HP, not 50 as I stated before.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160331_122235531_1200x674_.jpg

ElectricDyck
02-06-2021, 09:32 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cgWqeXl_2bk

silveragent
02-07-2021, 08:52 AM
Nice video and looks like certainly made use out of your boat. Why RIP though?

ElectricDyck
02-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Nice video and looks like certainly made use out of your boat. Why RIP though?

Its a difficult story involving some commissioned fabrication work that didnt work out, I parted ways with the boat and am waiting on a Stryker RIb...