PDA

View Full Version : Official 2021 Predator Thread

todbartell
01-27-2021, 06:10 PM
Some of us beat the winter blues by heading out and hunting predators.

If you shoot a coyote this winter and want to share a picture or story, feel free to add to this thread. Any info on guns, bullets, scopes, calls, setups for calling, baiting, etc, can be asked here and maybe we can help out in any ways.

Coyotes, WOLVES, lynx, bobcats, cougars...trappers post up too!

This winter I have mainly been packing my Tikka T3x in 22 Creedmoor. The scope is a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 with first focal plane XLR reticle. Currently shooting 80.5gr Berger @ 3360 fps.

Calls, this will be my sixth season with the Foxpro Fusion. Have the SP60 external speaker for those windy days. Awesome call, I've been using Foxpro since 2005, upgraded here and there over the years. Started with the Fx3, then Fx5, then Firestorm. They make a great product. I really like the TX1000 remote on the Fusion, and the ability to play two sounds at once. I feel it really makes a difference on call shy dogs. Lots of guys are using electronic calls these days and if you can throw them something different, it really helps. The decoy I am using is Mojo's Super Critter, and the ol Foxpro Jack in the Box that I got in 2007 is still tickin'

todbartell
01-27-2021, 06:15 PM
I made one stand in early December, drug my son out in the sled for his first experience calling. No luck but he had a good time and I got some exercise

https://i.imgur.com/JIEpTOW.jpg

A few days into 2021 I got lucky on a couple wolves sleeping out on a lake. Story was posted here (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?162757-Wolf-hunt-2021) on HBC

https://i.imgur.com/o6Tk22W.jpg

I recently got four days of hunting in. Located some coyotes one night but no action the next day. A number of dry stands, I finally called in a coyote.

I headed to the farm, hiked about 500m along the field edge. Found a packed coyote trail heading from a swamp across the field and into the timber on other side. Wind was from the west, blowing my stink back across open field where I just came from. I set the Foxpro upwind of me 60 yards This farm has about four dogs, so it felt my new sound, DOGPILE, was fitting. It's basically a couple domestic dogs and a coyote engaging in a heated tussle . 3 minutes in, I catch a glimpse upwind near the call of a coyote running away from the call, back across a small swamp and into the timber - ****! All of a sudden the farm’s Great Pyrenees dog starts barking at me from 50 yards behind me. Christ...haha - Well this stand is ruined was my first thought. But I kept playing the dogpile. Now I have a real big decoy! I look over my shoulder and the dog is gone. Hmm whatever. I look back a few moments later, dog out in field. Coyote! https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t21/1.5/16/1f440.png

I have rifle and bipod pointed upwind/crosswind. I swing it over sloooowwwly , coyote standing there looking my way at approx 150 yards. It starts to trot back the way it came from the brush. It stops, frontal with it's body twisted a bit. The reticle settles on the chest, KAPOW - Berger on its way. The coyote loses its footing, scrambles, turns and starts jetting across the field quartering away from me for about 40 yards and piles up with a flip. I sit tight and call a bit more, no action so I gather up the gear and walk back, the fresh tracks in the snow tell the story : Two coyotes came out of the swamp downwind of my position around the corner out of sight . The coyote I shot swung out into field, the others tracks showed it came out In the field out of my sight around the bend. At the shot it turned and took off, and the big pyranees came out of the Bush behind it and chased it across the field below the farm house 8)

https://i.imgur.com/BM7tZKM.jpg

RE1960
01-27-2021, 07:39 PM
That's awesome,one day very soon I hope to have time to do that.

Blacktail1
01-27-2021, 07:41 PM
Good work keep it up!!

twoSevenO
01-27-2021, 07:54 PM
Sweet!! Nice job man

3than
01-27-2021, 08:00 PM
Awesome job!

Kos
01-27-2021, 08:09 PM
Great job!!

longrifle
01-27-2021, 08:49 PM
Nice work Tbart!!

'rifle

Brew
01-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Looks like a lot of fun. I wish our coyote hunting was a little better on the coast. That quite the exit wound on the coyote. How was the exits on the wolves?

BromBones
01-27-2021, 09:03 PM
That’s a good start to thinning out a few dogs.

I gotta get some 95 grain V-Max loaded up in my 6.5 Creedmoor. That & some free time to go hunting

Surrey Boy
01-27-2021, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your noble undertaking!

HarryToolips
01-27-2021, 10:51 PM
Wow, great work!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-28-2021, 05:14 AM
Right on!
Renos are taking up every spare moment so haven’t been out.
I still need to grab a new decoy for the Foxjack after it was destroyed by four yotes a few years ago.

Good luck to those venturing out!

SSS

todbartell
01-28-2021, 10:29 AM
Looks like a lot of fun. I wish our coyote hunting was a little better on the coast. That quite the exit wound on the coyote. How was the exits on the wolves?

Not too bad on grey one, aggressive on the black one :smile:

Bubbacanuck
01-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Hoping to hit the mountains on Sunday now that duck season is closed. Tags for all the cats and will shoot a dog if the opportunity presents itself. Good luck to everyone else

bottles
01-28-2021, 12:36 PM
That black one looks real cool.

Kopper
01-28-2021, 01:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/UDgD6HX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NuRKFBx.jpg

Kopper
01-28-2021, 01:48 PM
Made a poor shot in the morning and let it sit all day. Came back in the afternoon, threw the snowshoes on and pushed it HARD. After 1.5hrs of the thickest shit imaginable and blowdowns I finally started catching glimpses of it a mere 10-15'. This continued for half an hour before I was consistently seeing the back end. For about 30 seconds I had the gun shouldered running tree to tree before it turned to hiss. No scoped it at probably 8'. Not too happy this situation happened but was delighted to of caught up with it and end the suffering.

Only got one yote this year.

Tikka T3x in 223
45gr Winchester cheapo rounds-if hitting decent bone they wont damage hides
Foxpro Inferno with the decoy attachment-using snowshoe hair distress

todbartell
01-28-2021, 02:12 PM
awesome Kopper! Good on you for putting in that effort to finish that Lynx. Beautiful animal. I've heard good things about those 45gr Winchester JHP loads, if you're not reaching out real far they'll do the job well with minimal damage.

I've reloaded my 223 down to 1950 fps with a 50gr Hornady SP SX bullet for cat hunting. No luck on the couple attempts so far this winter, I'll be able to get out 6 more times before season closes here

Kopper
01-28-2021, 03:46 PM
awesome Kopper! Good on you for putting in that effort to finish that Lynx. Beautiful animal. I've heard good things about those 45gr Winchester JHP loads, if you're not reaching out real far they'll do the job well with minimal damage.

I've reloaded my 223 down to 1950 fps with a 50gr Hornady SP SX bullet for cat hunting. No luck on the couple attempts so far this winter, I'll be able to get out 6 more times before season closes here

Thanks TB. That’s a super good idea if one reloaded. I’d opt for the 22 WMR or even the 22LR on Lynx if the slight chance of a wolf of cougar wasn’t present.

alpinedust
01-29-2021, 11:00 PM
Cool thread, I have lots of questions about predator hunting! Nice animals you guys have gotten so far. How is the lynx meat Kopper?

That 22CM looks like it packs quite the punch!

I was hoping to get into some predator hunting this year with a dedicated predator gun, but it might not happen before coyotes are closed for summer. Do you guys think a 30-06 would be overkill for a wolf, hoping to preserve the fur. There are 125g bullets available in Hornady and Federal cartridges. What are your thoughts?

todbartell
01-30-2021, 09:32 AM
30-06 will be fine. I would look at a monometal bullet that won't fragment, like Barnes or Hornady GMX.

Post up any questions you have, a lot of people are probably thinking the same things you are

islandhunter
01-30-2021, 11:15 AM
Thanks TB. That’s a super good idea if one reloaded. I’d opt for the 22 WMR or even the 22LR on Lynx if the slight chance of a wolf of cougar wasn’t present.
Ive used 53 grain tsx on bobcat and coyote at full speed from my 223. They have dropped instantly and small holes in and out. Just a little expensive.....

swampthing
01-30-2021, 08:00 PM
With lynx season almost closed I figured I better get on it! Got out last saturday and had a great day...sort of! Thirteen minutes into my second calling set I caught movement to my right and there he was! The big lynx had come from behind me and stepped out onto the pipeline right of way 30m away. I wasnt ready! I cocked my CZ 22WMR as quietly as I could. The cat heard the hammer cocking and had me pinned. A few seconds later it looked away to my decoy. I raised the rifle and again the lynx focused on me. He was behind some willows and I frantically searched for a hole to shoot through. He spooked and ran a few feet, stopping again. A head shot was all I had and I squeezed off a 30gr cci vnt. The cat quickly disappeared. A half hour later I gave up, finding no signs of a hit. Oh well, misses happen!
An hour later I cut fresh tracks on a main road. I drove my truck downwind out of sight and walked back. I set up my foxpro across the main road from where the tracks went into the thick brush. Sixty yards back I set up in the ditch and got the call squawking. I decided my position was poor and moved a few feet . I settled the rifle and looked towards my decoy, seeing a lynx standing right in the middle of the road! I was caught off guard again! I quickly settled the crosshairs and touched off another 30 grainer. The lynx jumped 4 feet in the air, doing a 180 and tore off into the trees. I sent 2 more out of the semi before he disappeared. I couldnt help but grin. I wandered up and saw a tuft of hair on the road. Excellent! It was slow moving through the thick bush but 100, 200 then 300 yards following his tracks and nothing!! I lost his tracks then and did a few circles not finding anything! The next day I returned with hound dogs and they couldnt pick anything up. Guessing I grazed him? Two misses in one day. Sure had fun though!
Just finished 9hrs out today. 50kms on the sled, 3 sets of "freshish" tracks, 8 calling sets and no action. I get home to see the wife all frantic about the lynx that was in my yard while I was gone!! I investigated the tracks and saw it was bedded just into the trees off the end of my lawn. I imagine it watched me leave my house this morning!
Will see what tomorrow brings!

alpinedust
01-31-2021, 01:11 AM
30-06 will be fine. I would look at a monometal bullet that won't fragment, like Barnes or Hornady GMX.

Post up any questions you have, a lot of people are probably thinking the same things you are

Okay got it. Looked online, all I can see locally is Barnes VOR-TX in 180g. Looks like an all copper bullet. Think 180g is going to carry too much energy for keeping it a usable fur?

You guys use decoys for wolves as well as coyotes? Do you notice a significant increase in your success rate using decoys for coyote hunting?

Has anyone had any luck with mouth calls vs electronic calls?

Kopper
01-31-2021, 08:28 AM
How is the lynx meat Kopper??
It’s actually really good. It reminds me of something in between a chicken and pork. Not gamey and easily influenced by however you cook it for flavour. For me it was more of a mind over matter thing eating a cat the first time I harvested one lol.

Dannybuoy
01-31-2021, 11:35 AM
Cool thread, I have lots of questions about predator hunting! Nice animals you guys have gotten so far. How is the lynx meat Kopper?

That 22CM looks like it packs quite the punch!

I was hoping to get into some predator hunting this year with a dedicated predator gun, but it might not happen before coyotes are closed for summer. Do you guys think a 30-06 would be overkill for a wolf, hoping to preserve the fur. There are 125g bullets available in Hornady and Federal cartridges. What are your thoughts?
Have shot dozens of coyotes with 25-06 , with anything from 75gr hp to 120 gr rem cor loks. The fur damage depends on if you hit bone or not ... the front shoulder will drop em but have the most fur damage . I prefer broadside ,right behind the shoulder, bang flop .

todbartell
01-31-2021, 12:17 PM
Swampthing, you had some action that's for sure! Good luck out there today

Okay got it. Looked online, all I can see locally is Barnes VOR-TX in 180g. Looks like an all copper bullet. Think 180g is going to carry too much energy for keeping it a usable fur?

You guys use decoys for wolves as well as coyotes? Do you notice a significant increase in your success rate using decoys for coyote hunting?

Has anyone had any luck with mouth calls vs electronic calls?

Well in my opinion, the energy between different bullet weights in a 30-06 is not going to matter. A 150gr TTSX has 70 ft lbs less than the 180gr at 300 yards. The heavier bullet will be going slower at all distances. But if you hit bone, that is what will likely blow the big hole. I wouldn't worry about it, any decent taxidermist will be able to sew anything up

Decoys can help, but not required. I use them about half the time. If my son is coming with me, we use 3 haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhH8j4YLLk&feature=youtu.be

As for mouth calls vs E-calls, I had great success with mouth calls. They're every bit as effective, but they have challenges. You need to practice a bit to get good with them, and you're the source of sound - so expect any predator coming in to have your location pin pointed. You won't be able to get away with as much movement

alpinedust
01-31-2021, 11:27 PM
It’s actually really good. It reminds me of something in between a chicken and pork. Not gamey and easily influenced by however you cook it for flavour. For me it was more of a mind over matter thing eating a cat the first time I harvested one lol.
Nice! I've heard cougar is pretty good as well. Yeah I guess it's the thought of it that might make some people wary.

Okay so I guess really think about shot placement.
Cool video todbartell. Looks like fun with the decoys.
I'll probably try a mouth call first. Any recommendations on what to try? I know I'll have to put some practice in for sure!

savage10
02-01-2021, 01:03 AM
Love reading these stories. Cant wait to do some predator control of my own hopefully next winter assuming my PAL arrives lol

xlcc
02-02-2021, 08:44 PM
The last few days I tried 3 different locations.Last night we got a fresh dump of snow so a good time to look for some sign.The snow was pretty deep and clinging to everything.At times I was pushing up to a foot and a half.Nothing moving today.

Yesterday I saw 3 moose.No wolf sign.Different area.

The day before a fresh cougar track over my sled trail on my way down the logging road.Later a fresh lynks track.Saw 6 deer as well.No wolf sign.

My buddy has killed 8 wolves locally this winter.He is doin' pretty good.

Last year was good for me but I really worked at it.The harder I worked the luckier I got.I have been way slack this season.Only been out 4 times.
file:///media/fuse/drivefs-4e0536abb2005852075d19416327d459/root/Chrome%20OS%20Cloud%20backup/2021-02-02/DSCF4962.JPG

tigrr
02-02-2021, 09:20 PM
I blew it on 3 wolves today. 1800 yards away and I couldn't get close enough for a shot. They went into the trees before I was within 500 yards. There was 6 and now there is 3. Some farmer or trapper is culling them.

todbartell
02-03-2021, 10:42 AM
I made 4 stands yesterday, no action

todbartell
02-07-2021, 10:50 PM
A brisk -23 this morning, I made six stands over 12km. Luck was with me on the 5th setup

I haven't hunted this spot in 5 years, and haven't called in a coyote here since 2008. I started with a few lone howls, waited 5 minutes then went to jackrabbit distress. At the 15 minute mark I switched the Foxpro to coyote fight, 4 minutes later I spot a coyote charging in from upwind. It's by itself, stops at 250 yards. Frontal shot, no exit with the 80.5gr Berger from the 22 Creedmoor. 24 pound male

https://i.imgur.com/42vVNBo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Iz8RtTR.jpg

xlcc
02-08-2021, 02:33 PM
perfect shot,nice area where you setup.

swampthing
02-08-2021, 05:32 PM
I was at it all weekend without any takers. I just got back to my truck after my first set sunday morning when a truck drove by. It stopped and backed up. I could see fur in the box! The grizzled old trapper smiled and told me I was doing it all wrong! He had just picked up two Lynx within a kilometer of where I was calling! Down the road I went!

Bubbacanuck
02-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Went for Lynx my first time this past Saturday in region 8-5. I got the Lucky Duck Revolt for xmas and built a Ruger American .223. Driving up the fsr in fresh snow, about 10km back found an area with a bunch of tracks. This location was my 4th set, as I was learning what to look for. 5mins in, I saw a large Lynx come out and was roaming around. I was prone approx. 150 yards away and it was snowing really hard. I let out a squeak to stop the Lynx; it sat down staring in my direction. I settled in and squeezed one off....but somehow missed. Great experience and learned a ton. Hoping to go back to that same spot but I am worried the Lynx would be wise to the calls now? Is that the case or would I be good to hit that same location a week later. I did walk through their bedroom and bathroom making sure I didn't connect, so my scent was everywhere. It has been snowing steadily in that area and will continue all week. Thoughts? Hit the spot again or go to a new spot? Afterwards, I saw video footage that showed there were actually two lynx there. Both large adults, but I thought it was one the whole time until I saw two in the video I took. I believe the regs state you can't shoot a lynx in the company of another....so I guess I am happy I missed the shot.

twoSevenO
02-09-2021, 11:49 AM
Nice going bartell!

How long you call for before giving up on a spot?

LBM
02-09-2021, 11:51 AM
Went for Lynx my first time this past Saturday in region 8-5. I got the Lucky Duck Revolt for xmas and built a Ruger American .223. Driving up the fsr in fresh snow, about 10km back found an area with a bunch of tracks. This location was my 4th set, as I was learning what to look for. 5mins in, two large Lynx came out and were roaming around. I was prone approx. 150 yards away and it was snowing really hard. I let out a squeak to stop the Lynx; the one I could see sat down staring in my direction. I settled in and squeezed one off....but somehow missed. Great experience and learned a ton. Hoping to go back to that same spot but I am worried the Lynx would be wise to the calls now? Is that the case or would I be good to hit that same location a week later. I did walk through their bedroom and bathroom making sure I didn't connect, so my scent was everywhere. It has been snowing steadily in that area and will continue all week. Thoughts? Hit the spot again or go to a new spot?

Would spend more time at the range along with swampthing.

Bubbacanuck
02-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Would spend more time at the range along with swampthing.

Not sure that was a question I asked...

todbartell
02-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Hoping to go back to that same spot but I am worried the Lynx would be wise to the calls now?

I think Lynx aren't very wise to hunting pressure like a canine. I'd go back and find fresh sign and hunt that area. Good luck!

How long you call for before giving up on a spot?

Usually a minimum 20 minutes, upwards to an hour if the spot has good sign or coyotes responding vocally from distance earlier in the stand. One of my spots is not far from the truck, I keep a chair stashed and will sit for an hour. Great way to enjoy a thermos full of coffee for the last hour of the afternoon

HarryToolips
02-10-2021, 02:31 PM
^^^^you're doing awesome Tod....still no preds for me yet this year....

180grainer
02-11-2021, 04:34 PM
Thanks for posting up your trips. Good stuff.

todbartell
02-14-2021, 11:14 PM
I checked out a new spot, I haven’t hunted here in 13 years. Tried one stand on east side of property, no luck. I walked to the south west side and found some older coyote tracks. I set up with wind blowing at my back across a wide open field. I started with jack rabbit distress , on fairly high volume. Whenever the Foxpro is sitting on the snowy ground, it seems to really muffle the sound. After 12 minutes I switched the call to coyote wrestling. Lots of growling and kiyis. I heard some magpies to the south of me so I switched the call to magpie fight . Almost instantly, I hear a coyote barking to the south of me @ 500y . I switch Foxpro to coyote fight, and within a minute I spot a coyote running into the field in front of me at 300+ yards. I dialed up 1moa on the turret as I know the shot will come between 250 and 300 yards. It is out of sight in a brushy dip,as it skirts along a finger of small trees. I spot it as it appears and stops, quartering to at 280 yards. It likely would come closer, but with the wind blowing that direction, I don't take any chances. The crosshair was steady on the shoulder and I fired, WHOPP, dropping it in its tracks (22 Creedmoor 80.5gr Berger) Foxbang didn’t turn on for some reason so I switched foxpro to coyote fight max volume. Nothing else shows up in the next ten minutes so I headed over to get the dog. Female in nice shape. Was a good workout dragging her 1.5km back to the truck

https://i.imgur.com/IvGgoB7.jpg

alpinedust
02-15-2021, 12:15 AM
Nice Coyote.

Got a couple questions:
What do you guys do regarding gun lubrication this time of year when the temps can drop way down?

What do you guys do when you run into fleas on a fur?

xlcc
02-15-2021, 04:31 PM
Good shootin' bartell.
I was out almost all day on my sled.Packed a big lunch,my small saw,snowshoes.and my pipe.Didn't see any wolf tracks.Did see lots of lynx tracks,but wasn't looking for a lynx.
Burnt almost a full tank of gas in the sled.Bucked a few trees across the trail,saw lots of country and had a good time.
Maybe try tomorrow.

swampthing
02-15-2021, 07:49 PM
Today was the last day of Lynx season here in PG so I figured I better get out. I had some work to get done today but figured a morning hunt would be ok. I drove a favorite road close to home and looked for tracks in the fresh snow. Finding nothing I pulled out the snow shoes and wandered down a side road I had called a Lynx into a few weeks prior. I was getting bored with my first set and glanced down at my foxpro controller to see how long I had been sitting. I couldnt see the timer so I reached down to grab it. At the same time that I saw 14 minutes on the screen I caught movement! A Lynx had come in through the thick willows and saw my movement. He sat down with his gaze locked on me. I deliberately moved my hand to my rifle and picked up the Lynx in the crosshairs. Due to the willows I only had a head shot. The reticle danced all around. Lynx fever! Excellent! I calmed myself as the reticle settled. I was thinking if I missed this 55 yard shot LBM would be very disappointed in me and todbartell would surely roll his eyes at me next time I stepped into his store! The 22 mag barked and the cat dropped at the impact of the CCI 30gr vnt. I couldnt help but grin.
https://imgur.com/LoZs2db

swampthing
02-15-2021, 07:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/hm4pR2e.jpg

swampthing
02-15-2021, 07:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/LoZs2db.jpg

swampthing
02-15-2021, 08:00 PM
I checked out a new spot, I haven’t hunted here in 13 years. Tried one stand on east side of property, no luck. I walked to the south west side and found some older coyote tracks. I set up with wind blowing at my back across a wide open field. I started with jack rabbit distress , on fairly high volume. Whenever the Foxpro is sitting on the snowy ground, it seems to really muffle the sound. After 12 minutes I switched the call to coyote wrestling. Lots of growling and kiyis. I heard some magpies to the south of me so I switched the call to magpie fight . Almost instantly, I hear a coyote barking to the south of me @ 500y . I switch Foxpro to coyote fight, and within a minute I spot a coyote running into the field in front of me at 300+ yards. I dialed up 1moa on the turret as I know the shot will come between 250 and 300 yards. It is out of sight in a brushy dip,as it skirts along a finger of small trees. I spot it as it appears and stops, quartering to at 280 yards. It likely would come closer, but with the wind blowing that direction, I don't take any chances. The crosshair was steady on the shoulder and I fired, WHOPP, dropping it in its tracks (22 Creedmoor 80.5gr Berger) Foxbang didn’t turn on for some reason so I switched foxpro to coyote fight max volume. Nothing else shows up in the next ten minutes so I headed over to get the dog. Female in nice shape. Was a good workout dragging her 1.5km back to the truck

https://i.imgur.com/IvGgoB7.jpg

Another good day!!

Kopper
02-15-2021, 09:07 PM
Congrats Swampthing, good job getting it done! Lynx are good eating if you haven’t tried yet. Some guy on 250 predator recently posted a Lynx fettuccine Alfredo recipe; sounds great.

You PG folk sure have a bunch of Lynx up there...pretty envious.

Bubbacanuck
02-15-2021, 10:16 PM
Congrats swampthing! I headed back out this weekend as well but hit much deeper snow levels. Hiked for 22km with the only fresh sign being moose. First season for preds is over but I look forward to more attempts next year. Got a few weeks to hammer some geese and hope to get out for Brant in early March.

todbartell
02-16-2021, 10:40 AM
congrats Bob! Great looking cat

I was out yesterday, walked 13km and made 3 stands. No luck, but I built an appetite

todbartell
02-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Got a couple questions:
What do you guys do regarding gun lubrication this time of year when the temps can drop way down?

I just spray with G96 and then use compressed air to blow it off for the internals of the bolt.

swampthing
02-16-2021, 05:37 PM
I have a 3 day wall tent coyote hunt comin up to end my pred season. Looking forward to it!

todbartell
02-16-2021, 06:58 PM
got any room? lol

xlcc
02-17-2021, 07:17 AM
Yesterday I found 3 wolf tracks.I think they were a couple of hours old.Followed them in an old logging block where I could get around on my sled.Found a low ridge where I could do some glassing.The tracks went into a gully so I tried calling from my vantage point.It started snowing pretty hard.The wind was good for me.Tried my mouth rabbit in distress then switch to a deer in distress.After an hour the snow let up.No luck here.

todbartell
02-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Not favorable conditions this morning, high winds from the SW, warm temps +5c

I hiked in half a KM and set up beneath the limbs of a spruce tree. Foxpro w/ extra speaker and the Mojo decoy upwind of me about 50 yards. I started with some female lone howls, gave it about 10 minutes before switching to jackrabbit distress. Worked the volume up to max, then back down to 3/4. Switched to cottontail distress mixed with raven & magpies. Nomad & Gypsy coyote howls playing over each other. Coyote food fight, then coyote wrestling. Other than a few ravens soaring in the winds, no action. I winded the stand down with finch distress & magpie chaos. 60 minutes I sat there, I had to get going. Way longer of a sit than usual, but I only had time today a couple hours at first light, better make the best of it. I got up and walked to the call/decoy, glance to the north west and spot a coyote running along the top of a hill about 300 yards out. Gone in a second. It had come out of the timber to the north, zig zagging around, crossing my tracks on the way in. It seen me walking to the call and lit out of there

https://i.imgur.com/RzntXHK.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IiazLsnhU

xlcc
02-21-2021, 03:15 PM
Nice just to get out even thou you don't wack something.

todbartell
03-02-2021, 12:30 PM
I've made 13 stands since last update on this thread. No luck, but did have a bit of action on one stand where a group howled 12 mins into the stand from the timber across the swamp from my position, and I spotted a coyote briefly but no shot was possible. I was heading to second stand, wind switched and was at my back, great. I get a few hundred yards from timber and the wind switches and is in my face. I waste no time and hang the foxpro in a tree and walk 20y upwind and set up. I’m not sure where coyote would come from for sure so I stand beside tree so I can better watch all angles easier. I sit 99% of the time. I turn Foxpro to female howls. I would pause between howls for a couple minutes. 8 minutes in, I glance to the south and see a coyote is coming In Hard a few hundred yards and closing fast. Gah! shit! **** **** ****! Hah here I am, standing there beside a tree I slowly sit down and get Tikka T3x CTR 223 on the tripod. I set remote down on icy snow. FOXBANG activated , the Call switches to pup distress the Coyote stops; then keeps charging in . FOXBANG is for when you shoot, a microphone in the remote senses the blast of rifle and switches call to a preset , pup distress in my case . It’s sensitive, even on lowest setting . Oh well , Coyote running in, it would slow down and then jump up on its hind legs to get a better view I suppose. Was cool to see, I’ve seen it on videos before. It catches my movement, Slows and walks towards me. It Stops facing me at 165 yards, and I press the trigger. Whomp ! 40gr Vmax smacked it hard.

https://i.imgur.com/MeBFkvZ.jpg

xlcc
03-02-2021, 05:10 PM
You played the stand perfect and got your shot.Nice shot and a coyote.

todbartell
03-09-2021, 11:21 AM
I started with 3 female howls spaced a minute or so apart. Then into jackrabbit distress , going from Mid volume to almost max within the first couple minutes of the distress, wanting to really reach out a ways to perk the interest of a distant coyote, With the hard packed snow, they now can cover a lot of distance in a hurry. I then back down about 60% volume, playing distress for 30-45 seconds and muting for 2-3 mins and repeat. I’m glassing around slowly, then with naked eye I see something that looks like it wasn’t there just before. Sure enough, it’s a coyote! 600 yards out to the NW, It looks really grey. It’s slowly working it’s way in and is soon out of sight behind an island of timber in the pasture. I turned volume down a bit and keep glassing my side of the island of Bush, Expecting coyote to appear 300y from me. Almost 20 mins had gone by since I first seen it, when All of a sudden the coyote is right in front of me broadside walking at around 100 yards. The field I was looking across is full of gulleys and dips. The Coyote is soon again gone . Seconds later it reappears, heading towards the muted Foxpro. I line up on it and it catches my movement and turns and walks towards me and stops frontal at 65 yards . WHOMP , 6mm Creed 105gr Amax made its legs go stiff. Nice male

https://i.imgur.com/WVY6tv8.jpg

The next morning I head out at first light. I hike in along a treed fenceline seperating two fields. I’m lit up with morning sun. Good spot but hard to hunt as you access from The north and you’re looking into the sun . I start again with female howls, 2-3 over a couple miniutes. Then I start the jackrabbit distress. Same routine, volume fairly high for a short burst then back down to a medium wail. Sun is blinding me, and I am cursing myself for picking this side of the fence to sit on. I am looking off to the north, thought I seen something out of place way across the field. Woof woof woof woof, my brain is slowly processing what I am hearing. Sounds like a dog wuufing softly, hmmm that's weird sounds closer than what my eyes are locked on way across the field. I look ahead, which I have been avoiding due to the low sun position ahead of me. ****! haha coyote, 75 yards and coming in. ****! I get on it , coyote looking at me and trotting In still. **** she won’t stop Now I can’t shoot left handed , tripod is jammed into hard snow and I can’t shuffle it. So I move 6mm to right shoulder and I’m forced to shoot her RH with my bad eye. She stops, I just about get reticle on her when she starts trotting broadside again at 50 yards. She’s going to wind me. I bark. Barrkkkk . She won’t stop. Then she gets my wind and turns and runs away I get on her RH and drill it quartering away just as it stops to look back at 82 yards. Huge cloud of coyote drifting in the breeze. Female

https://i.imgur.com/NmTuEHy.jpg

Next stand, I had a good feeling about this spot. I get in the shadows on this stand. Lone howls, then snowshoe hare distress. 14 minutes in, I heard a grouse flush behind me, so I rubberneck and see a pale coyote coming down the hill. When it went behind some trees I swung around and it came trotting down the trail right beside me It takes a few steps my way and stops frontal . ****ing close . I’m looking at it through scope, I take the second to soak it in. Both eyes open, Then squeeze frontal at 19 yards. WHOMP - Coyote starts kiyi’n loud, in spin cycle . I should of Reloaded. I kinda expected it to just fall over :D I lower rifle, work bolt with my right hand, somehow got it half jammed up. Got round in chamber, coyote had spun its way to the Bush across the trail. I had time to shoot again. Not sure why I didn’t, I guess I thought he was hit harder than it was . Coyote gathered itself and trucked out of sight into the bush. I gave it 15 minutes then followed the trail, for 700 yards as the crow flies. Eventually blood ran out and I lost the trail. I must of hit it low in the brisket

https://i.imgur.com/iCTITN7.jpg

Sucks to lose one, first one I have drew blood on & haven't been able to recover in 18 years

Bubbacanuck
03-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Good work!! Keep up the predator management!

xlcc
03-09-2021, 04:46 PM
Bummer you lost one,it happens.I lost a wolf one day as it was running away from me.I think it saw me move to line up on him.I took a quartering running shot at about 225 yards or so.When I fired he jumped in the air then went down only to get up and peal'er.I followed him for half a mile then no more blood.I just nicked him low down I think.
You have a good area to hunt.Nice looking 'yotes.

todbartell
03-18-2021, 10:39 AM
Clear skies at daybreak, so I tucked back in the shade of some willow. I was expecting any coyotes to come from ahead of me or my right, so not being able to shoot to the left side was the sacrifice. Being a left handed shooter, it's hard to shoot to my left side anyway. I started with female howls, then added a male howl, followed up with some breeding sounds. About 12 mins into the stand I switched to snowshoe hare distress, and within a few minutes a coyote runs out 25y to my left (behind the willow haha) , then turns and leaves quickly. I switched the Foxpro to rodent squeaks. A Few mins later the coyote comes out further in open, still screened by willow between us. It sat down about 100 yards from me, looking at the call. Then another come out. The sitting one looked distracted, so I tried to move so I could get a shot. I barely moved and they lit out of there into the Bush on far end of swamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbriU7N5iRc

40 mins of barking at me from inside the bush. I was throwing kitchen sink at them (coyote challenge, pup distress, coyote fights) Their barking seemed to escalate and get closer to me when playing coyote / dog fight. Then coyote wrestling brought them out charging in upwind of the call . The lead dog cleared the screen of willow to my left and I had the 6mm pointed that way. Third coyote in a row I've had to shoot right handed with my bad eye. That Swarovski scope looked like a blurry Tasco, but I got it done. 140y shot, anchored him in his tracks. 57 mins to kill

I'll get this one tanned for the wall

https://i.imgur.com/b2b9XE9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O2B3utt.jpg

Headed out later that day with my son. And two stands the next morning with him. No luck, someday we will call one in together!

https://i.imgur.com/YDeSSSh.jpg

Here's the six coyotes I've given to the trapper. They look pretty awesome

https://i.imgur.com/C47gn0g.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
03-19-2021, 04:30 AM
Awesome job TB!!
And yes, they sure look good!!

Renos this year have kept me at home....but we just picked up a new winter ‘thing’ for incentive to get outside....a new to us quad with tracks.
Can’t wait!

SSS

todbartell
03-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Yeah that will be sweet for accessing some quiet areas during winter. I'd like to get a snowmobile someday for the same reason

NMO
03-19-2021, 09:12 AM
Nice work TB!

adriaticum
03-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Well, well, you are a lefty

Arctic Lake
03-19-2021, 09:24 AM
That’s some good predator management Mr. Bartell ! Your little hunting buddy looks like he is having a great time with his Dad . He will have lots of good memories !
Arctic Lake

NMO
03-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Figure this may be the place to share some Cat pics. Got the invite from a good friend in Feb to tag along on a management cat hunt he was doing. He'd been involved with some M.Ovi studies, in another friends Outfitting concession where M.ovi was hurting the local bighorn herd.

The goal was to find a mature female that was putting pressure on said sheep and take her out of the area, provide financial support to the G/O industry that's been kneecapped with COVID, and get some fresh air with friends.

Watching the hounds do their thing was one of the most enjoyable parts of this trip - I do some work with horses myself and do find great enjoyment working with animals in the field/watching them in their element.

https://i.imgur.com/xRyzxHj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AlI4WD0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K9xUbdT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2z1p1P8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0jwWvH7.jpg

NMO
03-19-2021, 09:54 AM
https://i.imgur.com/lZnoyjL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZTRiULk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5Pi917g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FQ2tedJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6MTXkgd.jpg

todbartell
03-19-2021, 09:56 AM
awesome pics NMO

adriaticum
03-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Great pics, That cat looks like "**** not those dogs again"

NMO
03-19-2021, 10:02 AM
Great pics, That cat looks like "**** not those dogs again"

Was interesting to see that progress from "not those ****ing dogs" and a few good hisses for show, to complete boredom. Moved around the back of the tree, laid up against some branches and closed it's eyes (picture #5 above). A far cry from the "highly stressed" narrative that gets pushed by the opposition.

Bubbacanuck
03-19-2021, 10:04 AM
Figure this may be the place to share some Cat pics. Got the invite from a good friend in Feb to tag along on a management cat hunt he was doing. He'd been involved with some M.Ovi studies, in another friends Outfitting concession where M.ovi was hurting the local bighorn herd.

The goal was to find a mature female that was putting pressure on said sheep and take her out of the area, provide financial support to the G/O industry that's been kneecapped with COVID, and get some fresh air with friends.

Watching the hounds do their thing was one of the most enjoyable parts of this trip - I do some work with horses myself and do find great enjoyment working with animals in the field/watching them in their element.

Great pictures!! Wow, the quality is superb. Dream hunt, one day I will get my kitty cat :)

xlcc
03-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Great flics

LBM
03-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Great pics and nice looking dogs, looks like they may have been run in some cold weather at one time. Had to take a few looks at the last pic have some almost identical to
that pose and look but missing one distinct feature. To bad if you had to take the cat out looks nice and healthy.

LBM
03-20-2021, 02:52 PM
Was interesting to see that progress from "not those ****ing dogs" and a few good hisses for show, to complete boredom. Moved around the back of the tree, laid up against some branches and closed it's eyes (picture #5 above). A far cry from the "highly stressed" narrative that gets pushed by the opposition.

Sadly cats and cat hunting are represented poorly by many in both hunting and non-hunting groups, definitely not a good situation for them.

Arctic Lake
03-20-2021, 05:15 PM
Those are great high quality pictures NMO ! Thanks for posting them !
Arctic Lake

todbartell
03-29-2021, 10:54 PM
I hike in about half a mile, set up along treed fence line splitting two fields. +3c , overcast, SW breeze. Start with some Female howls, and a few mins later I hear some coyotes yipping to the east, sounds pretty faint but it was also 600y at least and downwind. I went with jackrabbit distress. A pack of coyotes closer to me from the SW begin howling ,but they never showed up . I kept with Jack distress , then went with cottontail. That’s when I look across to east where the faint yips were, and see 3 coyotes on edge of timber , watching my direction. They laid down @ 550y I switched call to pup distress, no dice. Then coyote wrestling. No movement from them When I switched foxpro to Den Raid, they got up and started coming in I was watching them in binos . Peeing their way across field haha . One would stop and pee, then the next would pee on same spot . There’s some low spots in field, they always use them to come in. All of a sudden ones right there. 40 yards frontal. Ruger scout 5.56 barks, sending 55gr Hornady soft point 2880 FPS on its way. Anchored it - I reload and the second coyote is running broadside to me. I should of waited for it to stop, I let fly. It keeps dodging back and forth every time I shoot. I shot at it 5 times in about 25 seconds . Last shot it was actually stopped at what turns out to be 220y. I probably shot over it as I was thinking 300y Nice male coyote ,#8 this winter

https://i.imgur.com/fwwDM8n.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7P6800O.jpg

Harvest the Land
03-30-2021, 06:44 AM
Now that's a bush gun! Did not know you were a south paw. Awesome work keep it up

NMO
03-30-2021, 10:36 AM
Nice work TB!

RE1960
03-30-2021, 02:21 PM
Great job you seem to be pretty dam consistent, looks fun.

xlcc
03-30-2021, 08:19 PM
Awesome time and a nice looking dog.

HighCountryBC
03-30-2021, 09:39 PM
To bad if you had to take the cat out looks nice and healthy.

What's too bad about taking out a sheep killing specialist in a struggling sheep population?

LBM
04-03-2021, 02:53 PM
What's too bad about taking out a sheep killing specialist in a struggling sheep population?

Your like the people using the words Trophy hunt etc , calling a cat a sheep killing specialist. What about some of the guides/outfitters that have claimed
to be in on a hundred plus ram kills are they sheep killing specialists, or its ok for them to do so.
There is some studies showing that taking a mature healthy cat out of an area can do more damage.
So where is this struggling sheep population sure hope there is no open season for if its struggling there sure shouldnt be a open season.
Curious as to were a cat is allowed to live there not allowed to be close to towns or people not allowed in the bush so were.

DDD
04-03-2021, 06:17 PM
You’re welcome to post a link to the studies’ data.

HighCountryBC
04-04-2021, 08:38 AM
Your like the people using the words Trophy hunt etc , calling a cat a sheep killing specialist. What about some of the guides/outfitters that have claimed
to be in on a hundred plus ram kills are they sheep killing specialists, or its ok for them to do so.
There is some studies showing that taking a mature healthy cat out of an area can do more damage.
So where is this struggling sheep population sure hope there is no open season for if its struggling there sure shouldnt be a open season.
Curious as to were a cat is allowed to live there not allowed to be close to towns or people not allowed in the bush so were.

You've never been supportive of predator harvest, cats especially. There's a big difference between outfitters being in on a number of rams like that over a lifetime and a cat that has keyed in on a vulnerable sheep population. Not a shocker that you don't make that connection, though.

The cougar collaring project in the Regions 3 and 8 is showing real time stats on what these cats are killing and how often. In the winter, their diet is over 90% mule deer and sheep. I suggest you get in touch with some of the biologists as this data is available.

HighCountryBC
04-04-2021, 08:58 AM
Here's a female we harvested on mule deer winter range in 2020.

https://i.imgur.com/FKSRSuW.jpg

one-shot-wonder
04-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Nice 'management cat' HCBC! Some great tablefare also.... Thanks for helping interior ungulates out.

HighCountryBC
04-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Nice 'management cat' HCBC! Some great tablefare also.... Thanks for helping interior ungulates out.

Thanks, OSW! We always have a goal of harvesting at least a female or two each season. Top notch tablefare and a very fun hunt.

tracker
04-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Should of let that cat eat all the sick sheep she wanted.. Would have saved some mule deer !!

walks with deer
04-04-2021, 02:19 PM
You've never been supportive of predator harvest, cats especially. There's a big difference between outfitters being in on a number of rams like that over a lifetime and a cat that has keyed in on a vulnerable sheep population. Not a shocker that you don't make that connection, though.

The cougar collaring project in the Regions 3 and 8 is showing real time stats on what these cats are killing and how often. In the winter, their diet is over 90% mule deer and sheep. I suggest you get in touch with some of the biologists as this data is available.
Yup and there is a lot of cats in region 3 and 8 in my neighbourhood i have seen deer herds at times get really beat down by cats..once the cats made a kill the wolves would chase the cat off the kill and the cat would go kill again. Thanks for sharring high country keep up the good work.

trapman
04-04-2021, 08:33 PM
https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/158287115_10221372034403795_4625953633938213971_n. jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=YIkpbnaIExgAX9c_OM6&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=a8e29f86f35bfbdac251cccb81abeb9c&oe=608F3765

RackStar
04-04-2021, 09:49 PM
Wowza. That’s a beast!! Good job

Harvest the Land
04-05-2021, 05:35 AM

Your name wouldn't happen to be Chris Darimont would it? Have you ever hunted the North Island? Its devoid of Blacktails for a reason. And cats are also part of the reason for why the Rosie's have evolved and learned to stop Bugling on the North Island too.

As the apex predator in nature, we have a responsibility to keep lesser predators populations in control, and unfortunately not enough of us are doing our part. We should all be grateful that there's guys like HighCountryBC who are doing yeoman's work

LBM
04-05-2021, 06:50 AM

Not against harvest of any animal. Not in favor of killing off one and saying your saying your doing it to save another. Couple other examples are saying kill off more moose to starve wolves so they wont kill caribou or
the same was said about the whitetail and cougar. Dead is dead doesnt matter if a human kills it or a cat or bear or wolf. So again first it was a struggling sheep population now you call it vulnerable sheep population
is it still a area that allows hunting if so it shouldnt be from what you say. Also again where is a cat allowed to live not allowed around people or homes, not allowed in sheep areas or mule deer areas and think you wanted
one of your whitetail area so were are they allowed. I think you also mentioned your not a catch and release type guy so one can only guess that means you kill everything.

LBM
04-05-2021, 06:55 AM
Your name wouldn't happen to be Chris Darimont would it? Have you ever hunted the North Island? Its devoid of Blacktails for a reason. And cats are also part of the reason for why the Rosie's have evolved and learned to stop Bugling on the North Island too.

As the apex predator in nature, we have a responsibility to keep lesser predators populations in control, and unfortunately not enough of us are doing our part. We should all be grateful that there's guys like HighCountryBC who are doing yeoman's work

HaHa so cats have caused elk to stop bugling, have the cows quit being vocal as well. Does them not being vocal affect there breeding or any of there other habits, or is the only thing being affected with them being quite is hunters.

LBM
04-05-2021, 06:57 AM
Yup and there is a lot of cats in region 3 and 8 in my neighbourhood i have seen deer herds at times get really beat down by cats..once the cats made a kill the wolves would chase the cat off the kill and the cat would go kill again. Thanks for sharring high country keep up the good work.

Would say you have a wolf problem then not a cat problem, you may see other problems arise from this as well.

Bubbacanuck
04-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Doesn’t really matter. If a sheep season is open, so be it. Cat season is open and they took the cat. Good on them. No one needs to justify this to you. I can’t wait until I get my opportunity to shoot a cougar. I hope it is just as healthy as the one photographed here. My wife may not eat it but I sure will!!

Harvest the Land
04-05-2021, 09:51 AM
HaHa so cats have caused elk to stop bugling, have the cows quit being vocal as well. Does them not being vocal affect there breeding or any of there other habits, or is the only thing being affected with them being quite is hunters.

I said they stopped bugling in part because of the abundance of cats, but also because of the increasing wolf populations. The reality is that there aren't very many deer and elk hunters on the north island anymore because dogs and cats have decimated ungulate numbers there. So no I definitely don't think the elk have stopped bugling because of hunters.

In fact there's so little amount of deer now that some cats are becoming emaciated and aggressive towards humans: https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/jim-shockeys-hunting-adventures/videos/1531/330429

You never answered my question about why do you think there's no blacktails on the north island anymore?

And, are you Chris Darimont?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Wow. Some people and their theories.

Good job to ALL those getting out and doing their best!

SSS

LBM
04-06-2021, 06:27 AM
I said they stopped bugling in part because of the abundance of cats, but also because of the increasing wolf populations. The reality is that there aren't very many deer and elk hunters on the north island anymore because dogs and cats have decimated ungulate numbers there. So no I definitely don't think the elk have stopped bugling because of hunters.

In fact there's so little amount of deer now that some cats are becoming emaciated and aggressive towards humans: https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/jim-shockeys-hunting-adventures/videos/1531/330429

You never answered my question about why do you think there's no blacktails on the north island anymore?

And, are you Chris Darimont?

Its funny people alwayswant questions answered but dont really answer any then whenthere asked.
No i am not chris darimont
and dont no why there is no blacktails on the north island but would guess it would be from various reasons.
As for the cougar Jim shot yes it was emaciated but also believe it had a injuried leg so that could be the reason for its condition.
I have seen a fair share of emaciated cougars and its not nice to see and sadly the majority of them were human caused from
hunters and trappers killing the female (mother) and the young left to defend for them selves. Some of the older ones were
un able to hunt properly from injurys because of snares still attached to there neck that had been broke off and one had a bunch
of shot gun pellets in its chest and legs. On a couple all that was found was a injury to foot area but one could only speculate on
the cause of that but effected there ability to hunt, and one may have have been just from old age, but not nice to see them in
that condition. In another post there is some thing also pointing to the possible cause of the cats starving.

todbartell
11-12-2021, 06:40 PM
First stand in a long while was a producer!

Mid morning I hiked 1/4 mile into a spot I found the day before when looking for deer sign. Good amount of coyote tracks in the snow. I placed the Foxpro upwind of me 50 yards on top of a haybale and tucked myself in the shade along the edge of the brush. I started with 3 female howls spaced a minute or so apart. I then played snowshoe hare distress for about 5 minutes. I had good results last winter with a coyote wrestling sound, so I tried that. No action, surely there is coyotes within ear shot. It’s about the 30 min mark now on the stand, I try jackrabbit distress for a few minutes...still nothing. Towards the end of a stand I always play some pup distress. I let it roll around 5 mins and then was going to sit for 10 more minutes before leaving. I switched it to rodent distress, just loud enough I could hear it, then I back the volume down 1 more notch. About 5 minutes pass and I spot a coyote to my 11 o’clock , entering the corner of the field . It stops and is surveying. It occasionally looks behind it. These coyotes still get me revved up, heart was pounding a bit haha...Whenever it was looking away I sloooowly position shooting sticks over. It finally commits and begins to trot in, stopping quartering to at 120 yards. One shot with the 260 Remington 140gr Sierra TGK and the fur was flying. 44 minute stand. Another good lesson in patience, I wonder how many coyotes I've walked away from on the 20 minute sits

https://i.imgur.com/YPi0nS8.jpg