PDA

View Full Version : Looking for land in elk country

Rcher
01-26-2021, 06:40 PM
My wife and I are looking for land anywhere east of greenwood and as far north as Mcbride. The elky'r the better. We are looking for off grid, no service. Anything over or around 20 acres. Preferably not logged in the last 60 years and with either creek spring or river on it. If anyone knows of someone that wants to part with some land I would be greatly appreciative. We are looking to homestead.

Rcher
01-26-2021, 06:48 PM
Feel free to PM me for any serious info

huntingfamily
01-26-2021, 07:30 PM
Have a look between Tete Jaune Cache and McBride.
Land is relatively inexpensive through there.

Rcher
01-26-2021, 07:35 PM
Thanks, we will definitely be checking that area out

Norwestalta
01-26-2021, 09:16 PM
Have I got a deal for you. It's a little north and east of where you may want to be but 160 acres in moose,elk,deer and bear country. Will come with elk skinning tractor, disc for making elk food plot, cooler for hanging elk,shack for cutting elk,truck for chasing elk. Not off grid but I'll throw in a chainsaw to make it so.
$700,000. I haven't mentioned this to the kitchen boss but she might be included as well.

Redthies
01-26-2021, 09:22 PM
I’ve been looking for acreage with water pretty much anywhere “good” in the southern interior. Good luck. Your offgrid aspirations will help. I need to work from my new spot, so it’s a serious search. Thus far, unsuccessful.

Norwestalta
01-26-2021, 09:27 PM
Just a thought. Can a person live year around on a gold claim.

Rcher
01-26-2021, 09:30 PM
To funny, ill keep it mind. But also out of our budget. Sounds like you'll have to keep her.

Norwestalta
01-26-2021, 09:38 PM
To funny, ill keep it mind. But also out of our budget. Sounds like you'll have to keep her.

Ya it was a joke. I wish you luck in your search. I think a guy can stake a claim pretty reasonable and as long as your structure is portable you might be able to get what you're looking for. Just a thought that might be worth investigating.

nelsonob1
01-26-2021, 10:10 PM
Take a look around Jaffray near Cranbrook. Good elk area, acreage not too expensive for the Kootenays.

koothunter
01-27-2021, 08:08 AM
Take a look around Jaffray near Cranbrook. Good elk area, acreage not too expensive for the Kootenays.

Good luck with that. Nothing is affordable or even available here.

huntingfamily
01-27-2021, 11:46 AM

Beautiful area. My kid brother lived there for a few years.
Realtor.ca lists 25 vacant properties for sale there. Prices from $65,000 - $299,000.

Rcher
01-27-2021, 01:06 PM
I like Jaffrey, the properties for sale seem more like a stepping stone, to build and flip with the value of sale being considerably higher with a home on the land. But not for homesteading offgrid. Still being in the area would be great.

walks with deer
01-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Just a thought. Can a person live year around on a gold claim.

no you can not.

walks with deer
01-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Good luck with that. Nothing is affordable or even available here.

Got news for you realestate will not get cheaper as you age...

OP do you plan on living there or just a retreat.

Rcher
01-27-2021, 01:52 PM
This is so true, we renovated and flipped in Kelowna this year. But to tie up funds in another flip home. Could mean loosing out on that acreage if one pops up.

Rcher
01-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Living off grid year round homestead.

adriaticum
01-27-2021, 02:58 PM
no you can not.

I wonder about that.
To maintain a gold claim you have to prove that you are in fact working the claim and that you have made some money.
I don't think there is anything about living.
I reckon you probably can't have a homestead on it with a farm, but you could live on it.
I think you are allowed to build a cabin and set up a tent.
Many people who worked the claims live there full time.
But we have to define what "living" means.

Steeleco
01-27-2021, 04:05 PM
I like Jaffrey, the properties for sale seem more like a stepping stone, to build and flip with the value of sale being considerably higher with a home on the land. But not for homesteading offgrid. Still being in the area would be great.

We hope to move to Cranbrook in the next few years. Always looking. Found 80 acres up Gold Creek S/E of town for $350K if your leaving the LML that's a bargain!!
Raw dirt, WT and Elk all over that part of the world!

mrdieselpa
01-27-2021, 06:17 PM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/mineral-exploration-mining/mineral-titles/frequently-asked-questions
Too much misinformation put out there. Do your research it only takes a few minutes. There are also information bulletins that spell it all out by topic.

walks with deer
01-27-2021, 07:18 PM
Living off grid year round homestead.

HMM I CAN GIVE YOU A LOT OF FREE ADVICE ON THIS.

Maybe i should start a new thread to offgrid living.
a couple important things.
1.Good water source both qaulity and quantity.
2.Sun exposure on property.
3.timber for fire wood and projects.
4.produce and meat growing capabilitts
5.Fire danger and options to mitigate.
6.neighbour hood is a gold mine or gravel pit going to open next door.
7.Travel distance for hospitals,hardware stores,fuel,bullets.ect.
8.durability of wife and yourself its a lot of work..
one beautiful log house by mine has sold 1 a year every year..as husband and wife fight..then divorce.
That said that house was in the shadow of the mountain shitty water and bouldery cliff lol.

If you can camp on the property before you close to get a feel for it we did this for my dads acreage and mine..
My family loves mountain life to the extend Feb 4th we are closing on a bigger acreage yet.

adriaticum
01-27-2021, 11:07 PM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/mineral-exploration-mining/mineral-titles/frequently-asked-questions
Too much misinformation put out there. Do your research it only takes a few minutes. There are also information bulletins that spell it all out by topic.
I may have to eat my words on this as it states clearly that you can not build a cabin.
But I have known two guys who have cabins on their gold claims and they would spend 8 months of the year living there and working the claim. But one of them i am sure had a house in the city.
There are plenty of cabins on mining claims,I'm sure.
It says you can't build a cabin without permission, which also means that a permission can be had.

mrdieselpa
01-28-2021, 01:44 AM
https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/new-reclamation-bonds-threaten-livelihood-of-small-miners-1.23327443

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/mineral-exploration-mining/permitting/reclamation-closure

Scroll down the link and click on the bond calculator. First question they ask for the small guys is can you haul in a trailer and normally has to be removed at the end if the season. Unfortunately the draft dodgers of the 1960's ruined the old time mining laws. There is even a prohibition for having a garden on a claim. Its far cheaper and less restrictions to just buy fee simple land.

adriaticum
01-28-2021, 09:05 AM
https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/new-reclamation-bonds-threaten-livelihood-of-small-miners-1.23327443

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/mineral-exploration-mining/permitting/reclamation-closure

Scroll down the link and click on the bond calculator. First question they ask for the small guys is can you haul in a trailer and normally has to be removed at the end if the season. Unfortunately the draft dodgers of the 1960's ruined the old time mining laws. There is even a prohibition for having a garden on a claim. Its far cheaper and less restrictions to just buy fee simple land.

Looks like a lot of changes in the last decade. Government has put in a bunch of new obstacles for the little guy to explore.
More than a few years back I was interested in gold mining/panning and had a couple of friends, one of them geologist who could find gold, to set up a venture.
But the guy with knowledge to find the gold moved to Asia and the whole thing fell apart.
These reclamation bonds are nonsense for small operations. Diggin up dirt causes no problems to anyone.
But I don't expect government to do something right.
We're ****ed

Redthies
01-28-2021, 03:34 PM
We're ****ed

True on so many levels!

nelsonob1
01-28-2021, 06:21 PM
If east Kootenays is too expensive for you, try around Grand Forks - a few off grids sell each year for bargain basement pricing. But there are no elk. And all the deer are in town.

Linksman313
01-29-2021, 12:48 PM
If east Kootenays is too expensive for you, try around Grand Forks - a few off grids sell each year for bargain basement pricing. But there are no elk. And all the deer are in town.
Yup no elk here, CO says population of 254 Deer living in town with a 19 year life expectancy so don't do what all the city folks who move here and line your yard with cedar hedges lol. Bargain basement just about all gone out here, everything no matter where seems to advertise River View hah!