PDA

View Full Version : Moose & Venison Chili with Rouladen

albravo2
01-24-2021, 08:21 PM
We are moving in Feb so we are trying to clean out our freezer as much as possible. It is also fun to eat ridiculously good food while pretending we are in a pandemic and can't get groceries.

Tonight my wife made the most delicious venison/moose chili. When I had our moose butchered at Huniford's in PG I over-ordered the thinly sliced rouladen, thinking I'd make a ton of jerky. I made some, but not enough, so the only moose we have left is cut into thin slices. Turns out it is perfect for chili. Ground meat sort of gets lost in all the beans and vegetables and tomatoes but the thin sliced moose stayed firm and really delicious.

I think I'll order as much rouladen next time, just for the chili.

Of course, some really good red wine was a nice complement too.

wildcatter
01-24-2021, 08:39 PM
We are moving in Feb so we are trying to clean out our freezer as much as possible. It is also fun to eat ridiculously good food while pretending we are in a pandemic and can't get groceries.

Tonight my wife made the most delicious venison/moose chili. When I had our moose butchered at Huniford's in PG I over-ordered the thinly sliced rouladen, thinking I'd make a ton of jerky. I made some, but not enough, so the only moose we have left is cut into thin slices. Turns out it is perfect for chili. Ground meat sort of gets lost in all the beans and vegetables and tomatoes but the thin sliced moose stayed firm and really delicious.

I think I'll order as much rouladen next time, just for the chili.

Of course, some really good red wine was a nice complement too.

I made some chili a while back with ground bear meat and my son said "dad that's the best chili I ever had"

mike31154
01-24-2021, 08:43 PM
Have you considered making rouladen from the rouladen cuts? One of my favourite dishes as a kid & to this day.

albravo2
01-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Have you considered making rouladen from the rouladen cuts? One of my favourite dishes as a kid & to this day.

To be honest, I'd never heard of it until I searched to check my spelling. Sounds pretty delicious.

Jagermeister
01-24-2021, 11:23 PM
Reminded me that I have not had rouladin in a long long time.

IronNoggin
01-25-2021, 12:33 PM
... It is also fun to eat ridiculously good food while pretending we are in a pandemic and can't get groceries.

Just posting to note that I rather LOVE that line. https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif
In fact we over here are living just that too!

Cheers,
Nog

BigD_83
01-26-2021, 01:59 PM
What a great idea. I'll have to ask for some rouladen cut the next time we get something.

mike31154
01-26-2021, 04:32 PM
Ooo, rouladen, potato dumplings, red cabbage cooked in red wine, salad with oil/vinegar dressing & a nice red..... Fine china & silverware for the occasion.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m0orM4lO_afMV-IMQxhUMuuLwcvM60SHMpdP80EC-kXSDeqyqQHYoS-n8XjIzZkY3lAT8Ts6pRnLd2b3baLss3kDWG13XZu0PO1Ty_89A eda9B2SY9tqAUVNjGGBuBczwn-C7NYZhPG5rd0qpw80OXlP-Orz70u95cOjL0fXtvzjYrYBJONLnBLT5FribkOEd?width=786&height=505&cropmode=none