PDA

View Full Version : Your budget is 1000$ plus tax, what scope are you buying for your rifle?

Huntingtyler123
01-24-2021, 06:31 PM
Like the title says, what are you buying and why? I’m in the market shortly for a new scope for my tikka 7mm. Personally I am leaning towards the swaro z3.. next option would be a vortex in the same price range. I have other vortex and I like the optic.

REMINGTON JIM
01-24-2021, 06:44 PM
I've had 3 Z3 's - ALL So Very Clear and Light BUT i do not like there Reticles - its my EYE's ! jmo RJ

jac
01-24-2021, 06:50 PM
Swaro z3 nice and light.

WhiteTailAB
01-24-2021, 06:54 PM
Used/demo NF SHV? VX3?

Redo
01-24-2021, 06:57 PM
I would buy the used Z3 from Reliable Gun $795. Very tempted myself but not in the market.

https://www.reliablegun.com/en/used-swarovski-z3-3-10x42-riflescope-l-plex-1-tube-swarovski-aluminum-front-flip-cover-minor-ring-marks-original-box-good-condition

whitlers
01-24-2021, 06:57 PM
Is it possible to save another $500 and open up a whole nother level. Ziess V4 for example?

If you are set on the $1000 price range I would take the Z3 you mentioned over a Vortex all day every day.

Alpine Hunter
01-24-2021, 07:00 PM
If you are looking to buy new $1000–$1200 budget just barely gets you into that “mid range quality” class of optics, which there is nothing wrong with. If you are willing to buy used you can get into that next level of quality. Swarovski Z5, Zeiss Conquest V4, Leupold VX 5 are all great scopes in my opinion that you can find pre-owned for that price range.

.330 Dakota
01-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Leupold HD5,,,no comparison with the VX3

IslandWanderer
01-24-2021, 07:24 PM
Buy a viper 3×9 for $400, put the rest in a RRSP, never look back.

Huntingtyler123
01-24-2021, 07:35 PM
Thanks so far for the replies. 1000 is all I can do and with the scopes in this price range, I’d be more then happy. Was just curious if anyone would mention a different brand scope?

Side note island wanderer, I put away a lot each week already to rrsps

IslandWanderer
01-24-2021, 07:50 PM
Thanks so far for the replies. 1000 is all I can do and with the scopes in this price range, I’d be more then happy. Was just curious if anyone would mention a different brand scope?

Side note island wanderer, I put away a lot each week already to rrsps

Cool, I kind of meant that I think there might be better ways to spend the money. I likely get more animals each year than most on this forum- with $400 or less scopes. I invest the money in airfare, motels, etc.

sako79
01-24-2021, 08:00 PM
Buy a viper 3×9 for $400, put the rest in a RRSP, never look back.

He said good scope

IslandWanderer
01-24-2021, 08:10 PM
He said good scope

I find it interesting that some folks choose a brand name as part of their HBC moniker. It would seem to suggest that they're very proud of their ownership of a particular item(s)- and possibly what they feel that ownership conveys about them to others.

It reminds me of the type of guy who buys a Harley, then shows up for work with Harley Davidson pencils.

A $400 scope should work well for most hunters.

IslandWanderer
01-24-2021, 08:16 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/59913/vortex-viper-riflescope-3-9x40mm-dead-hold-bdc

4.7 stars based on 82 reviews.

huntingfamily
01-24-2021, 08:27 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/59913/vortex-viper-riflescope-3-9x40mm-dead-hold-bdc

The ONLY thing this scope has going for it is the warranty.
And you will likely need it...

huntingfamily
01-24-2021, 08:35 PM
OP, include the Leupold VX-3i in your wish list.
Talk to Mark at Nechako for good advice and pricing...

REMINGTON JIM
01-24-2021, 08:40 PM

Review's were done by NDP entitleist's - prob got a free Vortex hat ! lol RJ

huntingfamily
01-24-2021, 08:48 PM
This will give you an idea of pricing locally...

https://www.precisionoptics.net/category_s/466.htm

https://www.precisionoptics.net/category_s/74.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=74&show=10&page=1

todbartell
01-24-2021, 09:07 PM
Leupold Vx3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS ZL

Redthies
01-24-2021, 09:11 PM
The ONLY thing this scope has going for it is the warranty.
And you will likely need it...

I’d tend to agree. Vortex has never impressed me in any way. There are some very very nice pieces of glass out there in the world, but that said, I am perfectly happy with my mid level Nikons.

.330 Dakota
01-24-2021, 09:20 PM
I find it interesting that some folks choose a brand name as part of their HBC moniker. It would seem to suggest that they're very proud of their ownership of a particular item(s)- and possibly what they feel that ownership conveys about them to others.

It reminds me of the type of guy who buys a Harley, then shows up for work with Harley Davidson pencils.

Your theory is rather amusing,,I'll give you that,,,and I dont necessarily disagree with the fact that a $400 scope will sufice, in ideal conditions, and if it was a Bushnell or a cheap Loopy,,but a Vortex,,thats where we part opinions,,lol,,,seen way to many fail in the field,,I carry an extra rifle in camp on every hunt, and I have had to loan it out to hunting buddies 3 times ,,all due to Vortex and their wonderful Chinese stuff

.330 Dakota
01-24-2021, 09:22 PM
I’d tend to agree. Vortex has never impressed me in any way. There are some very very nice pieces of glass out there in the world, but that said, I am perfectly happy with my mid level Nikons.

Nikons are nice,,I have a higher end Nikon spotting scope,,it it goes nose to nose with my buddies Zeiss,,,I paid $1500, he paid $3200,,,,and even he cant tell the difference

IslandWanderer
01-24-2021, 09:27 PM
Nikons are nice,,I have a higher end Nikon spotting scope,,it it goes nose to nose with my buddies Zeiss,,,I paid $1500, he paid $3200,,,,and even he cant tell the difference

My son uses Monarch 5 binos. Quite good for the price.

stogs
01-24-2021, 09:37 PM
Z5 is so much nicer than the z3 for a couple bucks more. I have a z3,5,6 and i8.

.330 Dakota
01-24-2021, 09:40 PM
My son uses Monarch 5 binos. Quite good for the price.

yes, one of my sons friends uses those, they are very clear

.330 Dakota
01-24-2021, 09:42 PM
I now buy all my optics at Precision Optics in Quesnel,,,best pricing Ive found in Canada, and the guys there are great

whitlers
01-24-2021, 11:13 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?163143-leupold-vx3i-4-5x14x40-30mil-cds-windplex

Another member has this for sale now. Worth a look. Good scope and fits your budget.

cameron0518
01-25-2021, 03:17 AM
Z5 is so much nicer than the z3 for a couple bucks more. I have a z3,5,6 and i8.

What do you find better about the z5?

Huntingtyler123
01-25-2021, 07:30 AM

Why do you say that? Is it because of the extra springs or whatever for a better zero? Just curious

Huntingtyler123
01-25-2021, 07:30 AM
I now buy all my optics at Precision Optics in Quesnel,,,best pricing Ive found in Canada, and the guys there are great

thanks you

horseman2
01-25-2021, 09:26 AM
Not to be the language police but GOOD . . . BETTER . . . BEST.
Lacking information about what is currently being used, direction you want to go and the end results.
$400 would fall in to the GOOD category at 3-9 power but is there a limitation on objective diameter?
Are the rings and bases going to be changed at the same time? Will the current R & B accommodate a 50 mm objective?
By increasing the power from 3-9 to 3.5-10 or 4.5-14, the price generally goes up.
My best is a Leupold VX-6 2-12 X 42 but today that would exceed $1000.
Are you hunting elk in grizzly habitat and will a low power of 3 allow quick target acquisition?
There are essentially three categories of scope value . . . 1/2 the value of the rifle, equal value and twice the worth of the rifle.
With some trying to save money and others spending yours you have to decide for yourself.
The guessing game continues given the limited information . . .

stogs
01-25-2021, 09:50 AM
What do you find better about the z5?

I find the z5 is overall brighter at first and last light. If you do a vertical test the turrets are bang on. It's also lighter and has better magnification than my z3.

Don't get me wrong tho a z3 is miles ahead of lots of other scopes.

emerson
01-25-2021, 10:17 AM
For a hunting rifle low light performance is key for me. Low mag 1-8 ish with some kind of illuminated dot/reticle. YMMV.

Astepanuk
01-25-2021, 10:19 AM
I really like my Swarovski Z3 BT. I have switched that scope out for the new Leupold VX5 HD if you could find that scope for under a grand I'd be all over that.

RyoTHC
01-25-2021, 10:24 AM
Cool, I kind of meant that I think there might be better ways to spend the money. I likely get more animals each year than most on this forum- with $400 or less scopes. I invest the money in airfare, motels, etc.

We should have a PP measuring contest. I don’t think I could fill a tag without spending all the money I did on fancy scopes and guns !

twoSevenO
01-25-2021, 10:27 AM
Leupold VX-3 CDS for the under $1000 budget.

If I ever increase my budget to $1500+ I will for the zeiss V4.

There are a lot of nice scopes out there that can even be found used for decent deals. The problem is a lot of them arent very good hunting scopes.

For example, Nightforce. I will never own one. While they are bulletproof, by all accounts, they are overly heavy and their reticles all SUCK for hunting.

sako79
01-25-2021, 12:54 PM

Optics are more important than the rifle itself

albravo2
01-25-2021, 01:41 PM
We should have a PP measuring contest. I don’t think I could fill a tag without spending all the money I did on fancy scopes and guns !

Dang Ryo, I didn't have you down as one of the funny guys but that made me spit! Well played.

I'd add that having cool gear is one of the things I enjoy about hunting. I could hunt in a wool sweater but every time I look at my Kuiu jacket I smile a little bit. Not only is it a very technical bit of kit, seeing it reminds me of a lot of good times.

swampthing
01-25-2021, 01:42 PM
HBCers dont let HBCers buy vortex! Find something else! If you dont like leupolds check out bushnells forge line up.

moosinaround
01-25-2021, 02:09 PM
I am slowly switching over to all Leupolds on my rifles! I do own a couple Vortex, and I haven't had issues with them. moosin

Ron.C
01-25-2021, 02:09 PM
Like the title says, what are you buying and why? I’m in the market shortly for a new scope for my tikka 7mm. Personally I am leaning towards the swaro z3.. next option would be a vortex in the same price range. I have other vortex and I like the optic.

I'd buy another Leupold VX3 in a heartbeat. Why? A great no nonsense, reliable, incredibly tough hunting scope that I have experience with. Mine has been atop my 30-06 and now my 7mm-08 for quite some time. Been through hell and back on a couple pretty nasty goat hunts and countless other hunts in all manner of terrain and weather from outright coastal downpours to -30. Dropped my rifle twice "during falls while goat hunting" and in both occasions scope did not lose zero or damage the seal. Mine has the CDS (have had great support from Korth when having various custom turrets made for this scope). I prefer to hold my crosshairs where I want my bullet to impact and its amazingly precise. For my money, I wouldn't look elsewhere.

In regards to Vortex, you either like them or you don't. Two of my friends have viper scopes and bino's (for quite some time) and are very happy with them. I have an original HD model Razor spotter and it's awesome. That said, in regards to a rifle scope I'd still go for another VX3.

Ultimately buy what you'd be happy with. I too have asked questions about gear choice on HBC but it's usually after I pretty much have my mind and am trying to fish for other like opinions.

bcmulie
01-25-2021, 02:12 PM
Another vote for the Z3. Great scope. And Omer at Precision Optics is fantastic to deal with, provides the best pricing in Canada, and supports conservation efforts to boot.

bcmulie

Mr.Crumbz
01-25-2021, 03:53 PM
Something Leupold

Frank grimes
01-25-2021, 05:13 PM
Vx3 2.5-8x36
one of the best hunting scopes.

bangbangkhan
01-25-2021, 05:36 PM

i have a tika 7mm-08 with the swarvo z3. its a pretty decent setup, depending on what you wanna do.

I do hate the BT setup tho...not gonna buy a Swarvo with a BT ever again...fell off couple of time in the bush.

.330 Dakota
01-25-2021, 05:41 PM
optics are more important than the rifle itself

BINGO cant kill it if ya cant see it

f350ps
01-25-2021, 06:20 PM
BINGO cant kill it if ya cant see it
Goes both ways, if yer gun doesn’t shoot well no expensive optics will change that! K

David
01-25-2021, 06:40 PM
IMO at that price range you need to decide between glass quality vs reticle type / ranging system.

You can either get great glass (Z3) or a first focal plane christmas tree reticle with zero-stop stuff (Vortex) but not both. To get both you need to up your budget.

For me personally, I go with Leupold because it has the longest eye relief and the most forgiving eye box, even though the glass isn't as good as Swarovski. I have poor eyesight with an astigmatism (-8.50 with +1.50 in my right eye) and for my eyes it presents the least amount of scope shadow and parallax issues. I also had good luck with the older Zeiss Conquest, but the newer V4 is out of your price range.

That is the best choice FOR ME. If someone asked me generally, best scope in that price range, I'd go Z3. All arounder I'd go Leupold.

Huntingtyler123
01-25-2021, 07:21 PM
I'd buy another Leupold VX3 in a heartbeat. Why? A great no nonsense, reliable, incredibly tough hunting scope that I have experience with. Mine has been atop my 30-06 and now my 7mm-08 for quite some time. Been through hell and back on a couple pretty nasty goat hunts and countless other hunts in all manner of terrain and weather from outright coastal downpours to -30. Dropped my rifle twice "during falls while goat hunting" and in both occasions scope did not lose zero or damage the seal. Mine has the CDS (have had great support from Korth when having various custom turrets made for this scope). I prefer to hold my crosshairs where I want my bullet to impact and its amazingly precise. For my money, I wouldn't look elsewhere.

In regards to Vortex, you either like them or you don't. Two of my friends have viper scopes and bino's (for quite some time) and are very happy with them. I have an original HD model Razor spotter and it's awesome. That said, in regards to a rifle scope I'd still go for another VX3.

Ultimately buy what you'd be happy with. I too have asked questions about gear choice on HBC but it's usually after I pretty much have my mind and am trying to fish for other like opinions.

you are correct. Pretty much have my mind set on the swaro z3... was just looking for different opinions and ideas I guess. I don’t want this thread to get derailed or what is the best scope... I will look more into leupoid scopes ( I haven’t really)

thanks to all that has replied so far. I was just looking to spend the same on a scope for what I paid for my new rifle.

Fallkniven
01-26-2021, 09:12 PM
Meopta. The best.

IslandWanderer
02-07-2021, 01:23 PM
Vorx is definitely good value for the money.

madcalfe
02-12-2021, 09:45 AM
dont buy a vortex. in that range id go Leupold vx3. but you could also look for a used optics in that price range with will be better yet

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2021, 10:20 AM
you are correct. Pretty much have my mind set on the swaro z3... was just looking for different opinions and ideas I guess. I don’t want this thread to get derailed or what is the best scope... I will look more into leupoid scopes ( I haven’t really)

thanks to all that has replied so far. I was just looking to spend the same on a scope for what I paid for my new rifle.

If you go the Swarovski Z3 route, be careful of the BRX reticle as its way to light and disappears easily in low light conditions, I would go with the BRH-Heavy or the Plex reticle,
Very nice scopes with awesome glass otherwise, Im partial to the 3-10x42 or the 4-12x50

Others I would look at in the used department would be the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm tube, Ive bought a cpl lately one VX3 for $600 and one VX3i for $900, great all round scope, especially if you intend to shoot out a little further.

If going new look at the new VX3 HD 3.5-10x40 ZL-CDS excellent all round hunting scope, only issue for me is as Ive gotten older my eyes prefer the 14X option when at the range.....but still excellent for hunting.