PDA

View Full Version : Ice breaker bull!

mark
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Well last weekend for moose around here and I gotterdun! Was quite an incredible series of events that led me to this bull. First off, we went to a halloween party last night so we didnt get out hunting till about 10:00. We were actually deer hunting/scouting, as we were heading to a high elevation ridge ive never been to before, but always looked at through the binos from far away and said that place will hold some huge bucks. On our way there, we pass through a good moose area, but this area gets pounded hard with tons of guys. In about an inch of snow I see moose tracks as fresh as can be cross the road. Just after that I see a buddy from work, and have the BS session. the moose goes down an old skid trail and we decide to track it. we go about a hundred yards and theres already a quad guy tracking this moose. I see theyre heading down a bit of a swamp drainage. We drove about a mile or so down the main logging road and took the next left which took me down to a tiny little lake at the end of the drainage. we hiked in the last 100 yards to the lake and stood there talking and wondering if there was fish in it. Just then, a moose comes flying down the bank on the other side, and sure enough hes a 2x3. ( I counted about 4 times with 14 power scope) My .300 roared (first time this year) got him right behind the head, he went down like a bucket of lead, head in the lake. So he had no neck to speak of, he drowned and bled like a pig all at once. I couldnt believe what happened as Ive never seen a legal bull here in 9 years, but I dont hunt em here either.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2243_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6543&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Now your probably wondering why this is an ice breker bull????? This is not my first moose Ive shot lots. The retrieval was something else. Hes about 200 yards across this little lake, the nastiest thickest crap you can imagine all aroud it. But I can get my tracker to the water where I shot him from. Now I carry about a 100 yards of rope with me.(sure wish I had 200) So we decide to tie on and float him across the lake. The ice on the lake looked to thin to support a duck, but as it turned out it was a good inch or so thick. Our plan was to work our way around the edge of the lake dragging the bull in the deeper water. Sounds easy, WASNT!!! Ya see them logs sticking out in the pic, there was quite a few, that was our first hurtle, the ice was the second!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2247_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6544&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

~T-BONE~
10-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Nice! Looked like an eay drag!

Had one just like that last weekend but antlers were the other way around.. But some other hunters came along and blew it for me.

Congrats!!!

ohno
10-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Let me be the second [edit] to congratulate you on a fine looking moose.

I was not successful in my 5-13 LEH moose draw this year.

30-06
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
like looking bull congrate's

mark
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Wasnt an easy drag T. The 2 of us (me and the little woman) could hardly pull him and bust the ice, so I just got in there about balls deep and did some ice breaking. long story short about 2 hours of busting ice we had the rope hooked to the rig.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2249_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6545&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2250_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6546&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Brrr! That water looks a bit chilly Mark, hope things don't shrink up permanently (you know, like your socks...:biggrin:).

Good job on the elusive immy!

mark
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Once we hooked em on to my rig, I yell at Georgia to get a fire going, Id been up to my nuts in frozen lake for well over an hour. I stripped down to my t-shirt and danced around the fire. I hadnt seen my package so small since I was about 6 years old!!!The worst was over, we skidded him up on flat ground, and gutted, skinned him, halfed him and loaded him, what a relief. My girl Georgia was also soaked to the knees, worked her ass off and didnt even whine or complain, I was pretty impressed! It was her first moose experience, and a great day for us. Only bummer was we didnt get to check out the sweet ridge for deer!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2251_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6547&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

gameslayer
10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Cograts Mark

Allen50
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
good pic, with great story, looks like you had way to much fun,, cool,,

.308win
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Awesome looking Moose!!.....Awesome story as will!!.....Congrats!!

Perry

One Shot
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Congtats, glad you got your moose, Thanks for sharing your experience. Once in Oregon i saw a moose run into a deep lake after being shot and deep six itself with no way to get him out.

Bow Walker
10-28-2007, 09:13 PM
I was going to post a smart remark about "sucking it up Princess", and say something about "shuck that riggin' an git yer ass wet"........but - well, good on ya Mark.

That's one heckova fine looking BBQ your going to be throwing!.

pitdog
10-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Nice looking Moose. Great pics.

3kills
10-28-2007, 09:38 PM
congrats mark....

BlacktailStalker
10-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Nice bull, good story ! Glad there are no pictures of you dancing around the fire, I was scared to scroll down.

Krico
10-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Nice work. As usual, the guys who see 2 points are never the ones actively looking for them. Take em when you can get em.
He'll be tasty!!!

Orangethunder
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Way to go. Two point bull moose are sure tough to find but oh so easy to eat:cool:!!

Congrats

moosinaround
10-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Congrats. There will be t-bones for the bbq again. That will be some tender vittles there. My two pointer was 305# on the hook. I have seen them, and they are always that 2x3, where you have to look twice or 4 times, and you loose the oppourtunity. This time there was no doubt, all the planets were aligned! Good luck with deer hunting. Moosin

Caveman
10-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Congrats Mark!! Shame about the Muley hunt but not a bad trade off I'd say.

Jagermeister
10-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Congratulations Mark. Three days to go, maybe I'll git'er done.
Reminds me of a time when I dumped one in a marsh that didn't look all that deep when the moose was standing in it. It was near the end of Sept and there was no ice forming on the lake. I got as deep as the nipples and lasso'd the antler. My hunting partner winched it in. By the time I got out of the water, the twins and their brother had migrated somewhere in the vicinity of the vocal chords because the only sound that I could make was a raspy squeak.

Gateholio
10-28-2007, 11:43 PM
:eek:

What a story! Sometimes after the shot you think "Now, what the hell did I do that for?";)

Congrats on getting your moose. A few days ago you were wondering if it was going to happen!:lol:

TIKA 300
10-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Thats what a moose looks like,Good on ya !!! We had a shared hunt on the Parsnip in 7-16a,seen lots of fresh sign,but who can live on fresh track soup alone ????? Again congrats TK

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Good job Mark!
Now you don't have to drop a spiker buck for the freezer:razz:!

Your day definitely beat mine. 10 1/2 hours in a treestand and only squirrels to look at:roll:.

SSS

hunter1947
10-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Good going Marc ,that was one heck of a grunt to get that sun of a gun where you wanted it :roll:. Great story of your ordeal. that bull will be like lam on the dinner table this year. Congratulations on you and your little women's success. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Your day definitely beat mine. 10 1/2 hours in a treestand and only squirrels to look at:roll:.

SSS

Wassup? You huntin new spots again? Regions 9 and 10 shot out now?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Got to keep moving that way you can't pattern me:p. Just like a wise old muley buck:roll:.

SSS

Grandbois
10-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Nice Bull, Great Story, Congrats

boxhitch
10-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Gotta like it when quad hunters flush the game into a favorable position for you. Good going Mark and Georgia. Looks like there is still space in that buggy of yours, should have run the luck out and gone for a Muley maybe ?

srupp
10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Great job Markk....when the goinbg gets tough the tough jump in a feezing lake up to their crotch.....git her done???GOT HER DONE....yuppppers WELL DONE...

Steven

Sieg-MM
10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Way to go Mark! Well deserved.

BCJunior
10-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Ogo Pogo! Nice bull, you will have a good time eating that guy!

steepNdeep
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Mmmmm BBQ!!! Way to git 'er done! Hopefully your girl has seen your boys on warmer days... :shock: :D

mark
10-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all for the replys! The bull quartered up at 315lbs. on the hook! Didnt have a lick of fat on em either!
SSS ya I think spikers are safe now, I can hold out for a 2 point buck or better! :wink:
Box, we basically had him loaded and headed for home, just before dark, but the cannons were handy!
And for all those that were concerned, the boys have since come out of hiding, and returned to normal! :D

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I guess you shoulda been dragging the jetboat and the quad around that day:biggrin:!

SSS

TGF
10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Nice moose...great woman helper. Your a lucky guy. Hope the shrivelled parts are back to normal.

Caveman
10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
And for all those that were concerned, the boys have since come out of hiding, and returned to normal! :D

But the burning question for some might be what's normal.

The guys at work got a kick out of the pictures Mark, especially the one with the moose loaded in the Sidekick. Good on you,buddy. Just when you thought you might go mooseless this year. Now there's a hunt you won't soon forget, eh? :-D

Sharkey
10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
You drive through town with the head mounted on the roof? I'd have loved to see that... Great pics and great story to go along with it. He'll be tender for sure.
~D

Brambles
10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats Mark, nice little bull.

308Lover
10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Well! It seems there are still people out there as crazy as my long time partner and I. Yes, it's fun to drop one in the water. Try a big one, alone, and have even more fun. Good for you. I love to see people work for their game. There's no greater satisfaction. And to have a partner with you? Well, that's just awesome!Good on you both.

The Dawg
10-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Nice moose...

I got my Spike bull on the 24th of Sept, and have had great eating ever since. Mine was 363lbs on the hook.

Glad the 'boys' came back soon and were not as elusive as the 2pt..lol

Sharkey
10-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Nice moose...

I got my Spike bull on the 24th of Sept, and have had great eating ever since. Mine was 363lbs on the hook.

Wow! We got ours on the 24th of Sept as well! What a coincidence. He weighed in at 325. That's too funny...
~D

boxhitch
10-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Its always good to have a first-aid attendent along for a partner.:oops:

Elkhound
10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
great trip mark.......I too love the moose in the back pic:-D

The Hermit
10-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Awesome... I still have a couple days left on my LEH tag up in 7-16B but would need to get fired adn divorced if I were to go back up and try again... I'm jealous!! Good work!

browningboy
10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Way to go Mark, go all the way up north and nodda, but get one in your back yard! Murphys law my friend!
Looks like the pull was a bit*h! but probably had the best tasting beer when you got home!.

pmj
11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Mark,
Congratulations to you both8)8). Nice spike fork. Good pictures. You sure worked hard for this one. One of the toughest haul outs I have seen:shock:. Nice way to end the year after the tough start in the spring.

mark
11-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Mark,
Congratulations to you both8)8). Nice spike fork. Good pictures. You sure worked hard for this one. One of the toughest haul outs I have seen:shock:. Nice way to end the year after the tough start in the spring.

Hes actually a 2x3. End my year??? thats just the beggining, its war on mulies now! :lol:

hunter1947
11-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Look out mulies hear come Mark and Georgia :tongue:.

Thunderstix
11-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Oh man that was a great story Mark! Yah better hang on to that Georgia of yours cause there are not too many that are into doing what you just did.