PDA

View Full Version : 2021 northern bc fly in hunt

LoggerJustin
01-23-2021, 08:47 AM
Hey everyone! Looking for some insight on some good lakes in northern bc to fly into for moose and caribou! My dad and I are doing a 10 day trip at the end of august. There’s so many lakes to choose from it’s a little daunting, anyways any insight anyone can share would be great!

a couple of the lakes we are thinking of are “Gataga lakes” , “kluachesi lake”, or “netson lake”

358mag
01-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone! Looking for some insight on some good lakes in northern bc to fly into for moose and caribou! My dad and I are doing a 10 day trip at the end of august. There’s so many lakes to choose from it’s a little daunting, anyways any insight anyone can share would be great!

a couple of the lakes we are thinking of are “Gataga lakes” , “kluachesi lake”, or “netson lake”

Who you planning to use for a flight in-out ?

All decent spots but all very busy spots , you wont be alone . Big country be prepared to get into the back country away from the lakes to find game .

REMINGTON JIM
01-23-2021, 09:38 AM
I see a NICE a camp nearby - Mayfield Lake Camp - i wonder whose Camp that is ? maybe Scoop Lake outfitters ? I bet boxhitch will know - RJ

Thunderstix
01-23-2021, 10:48 AM
Don’t think I would choose Kluachesi for Caribou, but elk and moose yes.

LoggerJustin
01-23-2021, 12:11 PM
We are going to use Urs (Liard Air). We don’t mind using the shoelace express. In fact we like to and find it usually pays off! Also don’t mind going to more remote lakes to get away from the crowds.

LoggerJustin
01-23-2021, 12:13 PM
Any recommendations for caribou? Also been reading that kluachesi can get really busy. Big country but want to run into dudes all over

decker9
01-23-2021, 03:37 PM
I’ve been into the northern Gataga lk, feel free to pm if your interested in info on it.

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 04:12 PM
I see a NICE a camp nearby - Mayfield Lake Camp - i wonder whose Camp that is ? maybe Scoop Lake outfitters ? I bet boxhitch will know - RJ

Thats Wayne Sawchuck camp. He does trail rides that encompasses a wide swath of the back country hundreds of miles. Nothing to do with hunting.. you can trail ride a small segment or go multi weeks people are either picked up or dropped off at vaious points on the trip . Mayfeild lake is one of those spots. he was a keen supporter of helping get the park going . I ran into him with my pack horses off the chizka near margeson and on another occasion between the Gatho and tuchodil. he has an amazing photgragh book out as well of the muskwa kechika. you can check him out at his website google wayne sawchuck muskwa kechika. Hes a great guy

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 04:27 PM

chesterfield for moose. kluchesi will be a gong show plenty of hunters. plenty of moose around Mayfield lakes, moose at netson but most likley other hunters will be there. i hunted sheep to the south of netson. always saw moose on the hike in and looking down into the lake. suggest you bring a inflatable boat with you and if you have one a small outboard. best way to get onto moose on those lakes.

nelsonob1
01-23-2021, 06:03 PM
I'm hunting for ten days on Frog, October 1-10. Flying with Urs, looking for moose and maybe try for a Thinhorn if we get a moose early on. We will use the tin boats for moose, hunting the lake edge. Timber looks too thick for spot and stalk.

Curious if anyone else has hunted frog. Whether there are open areas? Urs mentioned a large burn area.

LoggerJustin
01-23-2021, 07:04 PM
chesterfield for moose. kluchesi will be a gong show plenty of hunters. plenty of moose around Mayfield lakes, moose at netson but most likley other hunters will be there. i hunted sheep to the south of netson. always saw moose on the hike in and looking down into the lake. suggest you bring a inflatable boat with you and if you have one a small outboard. best way to get onto moose on those lakes.

Thanks for the info, I will do some research on those lakes. Yes we planned on taking a inflatable boat just for that reason. Are their cabins on chesterfield lake aswell? Would like to avoid them.

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 07:16 PM
I'm hunting for ten days on Frog, October 1-10. Flying with Urs, looking for moose and maybe try for a Thinhorn if we get a moose early on. We will use the tin boats for moose, hunting the lake edge. Timber looks too thick for spot and stalk.

Curious if anyone else has hunted frog. Whether there are open areas? Urs mentioned a large burn area.

ive been into the frog several times. good sheep area up past the cabin and to the north. there are lots of open areas and a few ponds either side to hunt. theres also horse trails on both sides the one on the north side few hundred yards in is good. is urs dropping you by the cabin ?. there are several burns i n the area. just as you come up frog on the north side is a small lake thats prety good. you may want to take a raft to get back and forth across the river. . moose are lazy will take the easy route follow the shore bank of the rivers.

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the info, I will do some research on those lakes. Yes we planned on taking a inflatable boat just for that reason. Are their cabins on chesterfield lake aswell? Would like to avoid them.

ther are no cabins on chesterfield. big lake . most likley no one else will be there urst will drop some sheep hunters perhaps at fern lake which is east of chesterfiedl. you can see a lot of the lake from the shore line mid point of the north side glass across. fishing as well. Netson has great fishing as well. Ive been into Denihtia lake great fishing but hardly saw moose there. august being warm they would be up higher where its cooler and more wind get relief from the bugs.

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 07:28 PM

weather can get quite interesting in that area in october. great for moving the moose around .

LoggerJustin
01-23-2021, 07:44 PM
ther are no cabins on chesterfield. big lake . most likley no one else will be there urst will drop some sheep hunters perhaps at fern lake which is east of chesterfiedl. you can see a lot of the lake from the shore line mid point of the north side glass across. fishing as well. Netson has great fishing as well. Ive been into Denihtia lake great fishing but hardly saw moose there. august being warm they would be up higher where its cooler and more wind get relief from the bugs.

Great, we have a canvas wall tent and don’t want to be near cabins. Thanks for the awesome info and tips, when was the last time you’ve been to chesterfield lake?

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 07:48 PM

not familar where urs is dropping hunters guessing frog lake? im not not sure where he lands on the frog river. The frog gets pounded pretty hard in sept by jet boaters hunting moose and elk. there are new regulations re moose as welll i believe for the areas including partial closures for a week or two in parts.

stoneramhunter
01-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Great, we have a canvas wall tent and don’t want to be near cabins. Thanks for the awesome info and tips, when was the last time you’ve been to chesterfield lake?

6 years ago was the last time. i would discuss with urs hes familiar with chesterfield area. netson has cabins and i think its liklfey there will be hunters there . the cabins belong to urs you can check with him. i

nelsonob1
01-23-2021, 08:35 PM
ive been into the frog several times. good sheep area up past the cabin and to the north. there are lots of open areas and a few ponds either side to hunt. theres also horse trails on both sides the one on the north side few hundred yards in is good. is urs dropping you by the cabin ?. there are several burns i n the area. just as you come up frog on the north side is a small lake thats prety good. you may want to take a raft to get back and forth across the river. . moose are lazy will take the easy route follow the shore bank of the rivers.

Urs is dropping us at the cabin which we rented for the hunt. He has a couple of boats so will try as you suggested, drifting down the river. Got my teenage sons so need to hunt close to the lake.

Thx for the Intel on the horse trail. That will make for a fun hike in.

Leveraction
01-24-2021, 10:37 AM
I sent you a PM
have a read, PM me back

IronNoggin
01-24-2021, 12:09 PM
weather can get quite interesting in that area in october. great for moving the moose around .

October? Nope, no way for me.
Been in there in August & September, couple times late into September and was getting quite nervous that the rapidly cooling weather, and subsequent drop of the river flows might trap our sleds up there.

Best of Luck, going to be an interesting tale come out of that one NelsonBob!

Cheers,
Nog

nelsonob1
01-24-2021, 04:58 PM
October? Nope, no way for me.
Been in there in August & September, couple times late into September and was getting quite nervous that the rapidly cooling weather, and subsequent drop of the river flows might trap our sleds up there.

Best of Luck, going to be an interesting tale come out of that one NelsonBob!

Cheers,
Nog

The lake looks quite big and its only at 3,000ft. Is there a risk of freezing? If it did, how would they get you out?

Krico
01-24-2021, 05:00 PM
“They” wouldn’t.
You’d be walking out or calling SAR for a helicopter.

Krico
01-24-2021, 05:08 PM
If it’s a big lake I wouldn’t worry. Urs has been flying that country a long, long time and can provide you good guidance. I’ve seen it change from early fall to mid winter conditions up there, literally overnight while sheep hunting.
In fact it wasn’t overnight. It was mid stalk on some rams.
-25°C and over 2’ of snow turned our sheep hunt into a moose hunt.

nelsonob1
01-24-2021, 05:37 PM
According to the data for Fort Nelson, the average low temps first week of October at 1500ft are 0 to -1 Celsius.

IronNoggin
01-24-2021, 06:14 PM
It is quite unlikely the lake would freeze.
Would take an extended cold period to do so.
No way in hell you would ever "walk out".
Best bet is to take some form of communication - just in case.
Chopper would be the only way unless you could hunker long enough for the lake to freeze hard enough to support a bird on skis...

Going to be watching hard for your report!
Will be a rather worthwhile expedition and read of your adventures!

Best of Luck!!

Cheers,
Nog

nelsonob1
01-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Thanks Nog, I would rather shoot myself than hike out of there in the winter.

Definitely very exciting - just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. My daughter is going to make the video - hopefully not one that ends like Grizzly Man. A couple of experienced members are being generous with their experience in the drainage.

campking
01-24-2021, 06:47 PM
3 of us Flew into Johia Lake with Urs and went 3 for 3 on caribou do not remember seeing another hunter