PDA

View Full Version : TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

stoneramhunter
01-20-2021, 09:31 AM
tip one previous thread- HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

(2) When I'm hiking thru grizzly country whether solo or with hunting partner I keep my rifle scope set at the lowest power. A bear at a distance away is not an issue you have time But come up on a bear at close range especially one charging you want your scope at the lower power. you have a wider field of vision.

(3) When hiking thru woods never put your hands thru the loops on your hiking poles . when that charge comes you don't want your poles getting in the way of your rifle as they flap around

More tips to come later

Jrax
01-20-2021, 11:21 AM
find the fastest method you can for accessing rifle, i use the kifaru gun bearer. One quick pull on a strap and the rifle is in my hands pointed the right way.

Ron.C
01-20-2021, 11:31 AM
Haha, I can attest to Tip 2 !!!

Stumbled onto a griz at about 20 meters during a creek crossing a few km into a 12k hike out of a goat hunt (by myself).

Bear stood up, woofed then turn and luckily for me, ran the opposite direction into some dense brush.

I must have looked like a moron trying to get my hiking pole loops off and attempting to grab my rifle at the same time. Was a complete cluster#$%^.

If the bear had decided to charge, I would of been screwed.

HarryToolips
01-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Again great tips Stoneram.... tip 2 is good for hunting in general, lol I put a buddy on WT buck at 30 yards one time, I had already cancelled my tag the day before and he missed it at that close range cause he was on 9 zoom...

warnniklz
01-20-2021, 11:54 AM
Again great tips Stoneram.... tip 2 is good for hunting in general, lol I put a buddy on WT buck at 30 yards one time, I had already cancelled my tag the day before and he missed it at that close range cause he was on 9 zoom...

I know someone that runs at 6 power all the time. Annoys me to all hell. Especially since he hunts in areas where shots are under 100 yards and he can't seem to shoot well past that.

whitlers
01-20-2021, 12:44 PM
I know someone that runs at 6 power all the time. Annoys me to all hell. Especially since he hunts in areas where shots are under 100 yards and he can't seem to shoot well past that.

This is one of the reasons I opted for a 2.5-10 power scope. I keep it on 2.5 power almost exclusively unless I have the time to crank it up. Allows quick target acquisition in a bear situation or hunting bush.

I have had close encounters with 3 black bears and one grizz. Only the grizz did I pull my rifle up but he wasn't necessarily a threat. Just backed me down a trail to the truck. He didn't seem to really give a shit haha.

I also use a gun bearer or SG sling so my rifle is always close.

wingmaster
01-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Don’t shoot a large caliber bear with a small caliber rifle..

ROY-alty33
01-21-2021, 09:50 AM
Take a knee!
That way you are at a better angle to hit him in the head not behind him as he closes the distance.

mod7rem
01-21-2021, 11:55 AM
People have asked me over the years about mountain hunting, “what do you do about grizzlies? Aren’t you afraid?”
My usual answer is; I crawl in the tent at night and try to not think about it, lol.

whitlers
01-21-2021, 12:24 PM
People have asked me over the years about mountain hunting, “what do you do about grizzlies? Aren’t you afraid?”
My usual answer is; I crawl in the tent at night and try to not think about it, lol.

Man I am the worse for that. I'm gonna start bringing ear plugs. Evey sound I hear I think the worse. I'm a bit of a spazz that way but only when sleeping. If I'm out and about I don't worry too much about them.

Kos
01-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Should you even look through the scope if a bear is 20ft from you charging full on?

swampthing
01-21-2021, 07:18 PM
Should you even look through the scope if a bear is 20ft from you charging full on?

YES! you want to hit it!

r106
01-21-2021, 07:20 PM
I thought tip #2 was common sense. Wonder what these guys with a minimum 6x scope do

Kos
01-21-2021, 08:25 PM
YES! you want to hit it!

I don’t know there’s a reason they are called brown lightning they can cover that 20ft within seconds so I personally would not look through my scope, most important thing is to take a knee and be in level with the bear a number of times guys get chewed up because they are standing and shoot over the bears back because they are so damn fast.

stoneramhunter
01-21-2021, 08:50 PM
I don’t know there’s a reason they are called brown lightning they can cover that 20ft within seconds so I personally would not look through my scope, most important thing is to take a knee and be in level with the bear a number of times guys get chewed up because they are standing and shoot over the bears back because they are so damn fast.

Get the rifle up first and if you cant see thru the scope then barrel aim at the bear. with all due respect and someone who has had a lot of experience up close and personal with grizzly I would never drop to my knee. I want to be as agile as possible if i need to move left or right that is impossible on your knee. likely a second shot in the frenzy might be putting your next shot into the bear from the hip a few feet away . But thats just my opinion

Flyingfisher
01-21-2021, 09:37 PM
What's the opinion on the rifle actions for a grizz situation? I figure that a bolt or pump is pretty slow. This leaves leaver, semi and a double barrel configuration. I'd love to justify a bespoke 500 NE double barrel for bear protection when fly fishing!

stoneramhunter
01-21-2021, 09:53 PM
What's the opinion on the rifle actions for a grizz situation? I figure that a bolt or pump is pretty slow. This leaves leaver, semi and a double barrel configuration. I'd love to justify a bespoke 500 NE double barrel for bear protection when fly fishing!

Mostly hunt sheep and usually in grizz country . my rifle is a husquavana 7mm mag bolt action micmillin stock douglas barrel 3x9 swarvoski scope . im comfortable wiith it in grizz country but obviously heavier caliber or shotgun with slugs will be more effective depending on the abilities of the shooter under extreme duress.

Arctic Lake
01-21-2021, 10:08 PM
I would think a trusty revolver in a large caliber would come in handy , but..... not legal here !
Arctic Lake

3than
01-21-2021, 11:00 PM
A shotgun with 00 buck and slug rotation is a legal option that's hard to beat for a gun strictly for bear protection.

btridge
01-21-2021, 11:10 PM
A shotgun with 00 buck and slug rotation is a legal option that's hard to beat for a gun strictly for bear protection.

My go to while bow hunting !!

375shooter
01-22-2021, 06:02 AM

My go to while bow hunting !!

What's the reasoning for 00 buck and slug rotation? Just wondering.

Ride Red
01-22-2021, 06:52 AM
When scouting/fishing/boating/camping I pack my 870 tactical full of slugs only.

Flyingfisher
01-22-2021, 07:52 AM

I'd imagine that a 12 gauge semi would do quite well with Sabot slugs. Too bad that we can't have an extended magazine. A 30 round drum would sure teach Yogi a lesson.

Squamch
01-22-2021, 08:24 AM

I was told by a guy who ran logging crews the idea is buck to stand em up, slug to knock em down.

I go all slugs in my 870.

.330 Dakota
01-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Take a knee!
That way you are at a better angle to hit him in the head not behind him as he closes the distance.

Best advice there is in a charge situation,,your on the same plane as the bear and the angle never changes,,sanding, there is waay too much going on

.330 Dakota
01-22-2021, 08:55 AM

Its a bad idea,,buck shot will just piss him off, he wont miss a step,,slugs only,,the heaviest you can buy,,Brenneke if you can find them,,,,trust me, I do this for a living

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/asset.php?fid=4908&uid=16467&d=1439997060

wideopenthrottle
01-22-2021, 09:17 AM
carry radios is my tip...

hunting up near Cranbrook... day before doe opens, partner got a buck first thing so after hanging it he went fishing for the afternoon. around the camp fire that night, he mentioned that he could see a huge buck head and rack on the other side of the river from where he was fishing....it was too deep and fast to cross there so he decided to check it out later.

We had already crossed the river about 2km up stream with hip waders (carrying hiking boots) previously so we knew we could cross there and walk down to the spot where the head was....I crossed over with him and we stashed the waders and headed off with hiking boots on....buddy and I moved at pace the 2km to get to the head and when we got there we realized it was an elk head not a deer...

it was less than a 5x5 rack IIRC maybe 3x4 or something unimpressive for an elk...the skull had tumbled down river a bit and only had one of the ivory teeth left....after checking it out for a while neither of us wanted it so we placed it on a stump and headed back to camp...

as we got close to camp we approached a clearing and a WT deer jumped up and hopped off to the back of the clearing 300-400 yards away and stood there..we made a plan to have buddy circle around while I would push in from the other direction...I waited for him to work his way around into position before slowly moving in..i tried to call him on the radio to confirm we were both ready for the stalk..no answer from him...

I crossed the cut block quietly and went through a low spot on the way to where the deer was.... as I rose out of the hole I peered towards where I had last seen the deer....I caught movement and clicked off the safety...that is when momma grizz stood up at about 100 yards...she stared at me but was distracted by her 3 cubs...I whistled to gently alert her with the hopes of moving her on....I reached for my radio again to call buddy but buddy did not reply and was blissfully unaware of the bear...he later told me he thought i had whistled at a buck to stop it..i stood motionless but could see him slowly closing the distance to the bear (he was slightly closer than I was by this time)...i tried him on the radio again but no reply...

i finally decided to try and circle between buddy and the bears a bit before letting out some yells so i didn't scare it towards him...she was a good bear and took off at pace with 2 cubs and doing a small circle back to scold and hurry along the 3rd cub.....

i must admit i did give buddy a small scolding for leaving his radio at camp...heheheh

btridge
01-22-2021, 04:56 PM

Bear uses nose, eyes and ears to locate you. OO Buck at point blank holy shit time is much more likely to disable an attacking bear. Slugs to kill it. It gives Me My best chance, as I said , it's My go to while bow hunting. Been there, done that and it worked for Me.

stoneramhunter
08-25-2022, 06:08 PM

(2) When I'm hiking thru grizzly country whether solo or with hunting partner I keep my rifle scope set at the lowest power. A bear at a distance away is not an issue you have time But come up on a bear at close range especially one charging you want your scope at the lower power. you have a wider field of vision.

(3) When hiking thru woods never put your hands thru the loops on your hiking poles . when that charge comes you don't want your poles getting in the way of your rifle as they flap around

More tips to come later

as requested

BCbillies
08-25-2022, 06:30 PM
I did not look through the scope . . . no time

stoneramhunter
08-25-2022, 07:41 PM
I did not look through the scope . . . no time
20 ft pretty close sure barrel shoot it but hey if you wanna keep your scope at 9 power plus when walking go for it .

BCbillies
08-25-2022, 08:28 PM
20 ft pretty close sure barrel shoot it but hey if you wanna keep your scope at 9 power plus when walking go for it .
Haha! Low power for me. I try to learn from others and not make the same mistake. 😉

.330 Dakota
08-25-2022, 08:46 PM
All my big bores carry 1.5-5 scopes always turned down

MRP
08-25-2022, 09:57 PM

Had a partner that snored like a Crapsman lawnmower without a muffler. All bears I’m sure left the country.

stoneramhunter
08-25-2022, 10:04 PM
Had a partner that snored like a Crapsman lawnmower without a muffler. All bears I’m sure left the country.

hahahahahahah i think ive hunted with him myself lmao

Spy
08-25-2022, 10:14 PM
Great thread,here is a video from proguide66 gives you some perspective on how fast they can move.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wLeCJBdQCRY

stoneramhunter
08-25-2022, 10:36 PM
Great thread,here is a video from proguide66 gives you some perspective on how fast they can move.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wLeCJBdQCRY

good video many don't know that a grizzly can out run a horse for short distances they can clock in at around 35 mph

Spy
08-26-2022, 12:45 AM
good video many don't know that a grizzly can out run a horse for short distances they can clock in at around 35 mph
35 is freaking fast !

hawk-i
08-26-2022, 07:42 AM
No reason not to set your scope at the lowest setting and for good reason in thick Grizzly country.

But do you need to actually look through the scope for a ultra quick snap shot at very close range when your life depends on it?

THE SWEDE
08-26-2022, 08:00 AM
George clear your inbox.. I’m sure it’s crammed full of messages from guys looking for your hot spots

high horse Hal
08-26-2022, 08:13 AM
so you're rifle isn't close at hand
what type of fighting knife do you carry?

hunter1947
08-26-2022, 08:20 AM
Put up a bear fence around your camp if possible,,, try to hunt with two people and always assume there is a grizzle near you meaning always be alert,,, carry bear spray ,bear banger and at night if packing meat out leave the rifle at camp and use a 12 gauge shotgun using 3 inch slugs and SSG get a North star light that has the red dot to put at the end of the barrow of the shotgun so you can follow a bear with good lighting at night. Use a powerful head lamps as well to see good at night.

Arctic Lake
08-26-2022, 09:21 AM
Have a field dressing knife for sure . But if you are talking for defence in my opinion a sharp fixed sturdy blade with a prominent bolster is a must . If needing to sink a knife deep and you hit bone you don’t want your hand running down the bade ! . Something like a USMC Kabar knife . If I’m going into a place where I think I might get turned around or encounter a situation that will need me to survive I carry a BK-9 . You can chop down anything with that tool !Look them up .Priceless Peace Of Mind
Arctic Lake !
so you're rifle isn't close at hand
what type of fighting knife do you carry?

stoneramhunter
08-26-2022, 10:34 AM
George clear your inbox.. I’m sure it’s crammed full of messages from guys looking for your hot spots

done all cleared

stoneramhunter
01-21-2023, 07:03 PM

More tips to come later

another grizz post of mine

TheObserver
01-21-2023, 09:40 PM
I've been told you shouldn't aim for the head/skull with a slug or rifle bullet on a charging Bear because their skulls are thick, but instead aim for the chest and shoulders to try and stop it from being able to use it's front legs effectively. But I guess if it was now or never and didn't have time i'd aim for center mass.

Anybody been charged by one and missed and the loud bang of the gun spook it away? I guess it would come down to how enraged and or determined the Bear is.