PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

Jamesonm
01-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Hi Everyone

I've read a bunch of the posts on here from previous threads but figured I would start one anyway.

I'm on Van Isl and LOOOVE hunting. I have an older North Face Creston 75L that I've been using but I am going on some multi-day hunts this year and wondering if I should upgrade? Some of the stitching connecting the webbing is starting to break down, and while I think it would be fine for deer, anything heavier I would be worried of a critical failure.

I don't really understand how the elite hunting packs work. Are they a frame that can then be fit with multiple different bags and waist belts? I see some guys selling just bags on here, and some combos with bags and frames.

What would be a good entry level bag for 3-4 day long hunts to haul out deer, potentially elk and moose, sheep and goat? My kit is pretty complete at this point minus a solid hunting pack. I don't mind spending the money on quality -- most of my gear is quite nice and I take good care of it.

I'm 5'9" and about 150 lbs.

Thanks guys!

Weatherby Fan
01-19-2021, 10:02 AM
If you go on some online sites like Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Exo Mountain Gear, they all have great videos on how their pack systems work, a cpl links below,

Most better quality pack frames/systems allow you to use the same frame for different size bags

EMG. https://youtu.be/jOLAaYcdh88

Stone Glacier. sky-talus-6900 (https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/all-packs/products/sky-talus-6900)

Mystery ranch. https://youtu.be/b6ZPJd-oWl8

BigSlapper
01-19-2021, 10:43 AM
"My name is BigSlapper, I've been hunting for 35+ years and I am a gear junky"...
I've tried most packs in search of the perfect system (for me) for both packing gear in and hauling meat out. There are two things I've come to learn: 1) no 2 packs are created equal and 2) no 2 human bodies are the same. Stick with the top tier group (Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru, etc.) and you will find something that will fit your body. Most are modular, meaning buy the frame to fit and you can swap out different sized bags for your particular applications. Fit will be trial and error ... at least it has been for me ((I'm 6'3"/ 230). I currently use the EXO 3500/5500 system and it works well for me (but so to does the Mystery Ranch system, just a little heavier). For 3-4 days of gear/food and meat hauling capability, I would suggest nothing less than 3500 cubic inches. IMHO, pack fit is far more important than pack weight, especially when putting in 10km+ days.

Jamesonm
01-19-2021, 11:11 AM
"My name is BigSlapper, I've been hunting for 35+ years and I am a gear junky"...
I've tried most packs in search of the perfect system (for me) for both packing gear in and hauling meat out. There are two things I've come to learn: 1) no 2 packs are created equal and 2) no 2 human bodies are the same. Stick with the top tier group (Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru, etc.) and you will find something that will fit your body. Most are modular, meaning buy the frame to fit and you can swap out different sized bags for your particular applications. Fit will be trial and error ... at least it has been for me ((I'm 6'3"/ 230). I currently use the EXO 3500/5500 system and it works well for me (but so to does the Mystery Ranch system, just a little heavier). For 3-4 days of gear/food and meat hauling capability, I would suggest nothing less than 3500 cubic inches. IMHO, pack fit is far more important than pack weight, especially when putting in 10km+ days.

Thanks BS. Not sure where on the island one would have access to fitting the frame.

Anyone have success trying different frames on?

KodiakHntr
01-19-2021, 12:21 PM
Stuff like Exo and Stone Glacier are a little tougher to try on for fit. Exo I believe is still direct to buyer, as is Seek Outside. Stone Glacier is almost the same except you can try that out in Quesnel at Omer's. Mystery Ranch has gone mainstream now with overseas construction and bigger production runs than when they were based out of Bozeman Montana and a lot of the better equipped sports stores carry that line now.

Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Kifaru, any one of those places you can call up and talk to someone who will get you set up with the right setup for what you want to do.

Keta1969
01-19-2021, 12:30 PM
River Sportsman in Campbell River had a good selection of Mystery Ranch last time I was there. At least you could handle one and try it on.

Weatherby Fan
01-19-2021, 12:38 PM

Welcome to HBC's gear junkies anonymous BigSlapper.....we're here for you buddy if you need support from other gear junkies :wink::mrgreen:

Meeting dates are as follows

Mondays-Cabelas
Tuesdays-Nechako Sports
Wednesdays-Precision Optics
Thursdays-Westside Stores
Fridays-Reliable Gun
Saturdays-Italian Sporting Goods
Sundays-Bass Pro

mod7rem
01-19-2021, 01:06 PM
Hi Everyone

I've read a bunch of the posts on here from previous threads but figured I would start one anyway.

I'm on Van Isl and LOOOVE hunting. I have an older North Face Creston 75L that I've been using but I am going on some multi-day hunts this year and wondering if I should upgrade? Some of the stitching connecting the webbing is starting to break down, and while I think it would be fine for deer, anything heavier I would be worried of a critical failure.

I don't really understand how the elite hunting packs work. Are they a frame that can then be fit with multiple different bags and waist belts? I see some guys selling just bags on here, and some combos with bags and frames.

What would be a good entry level bag for 3-4 day long hunts to haul out deer, potentially elk and moose, sheep and goat? My kit is pretty complete at this point minus a solid hunting pack. I don't mind spending the money on quality -- most of my gear is quite nice and I take good care of it.

I'm 5'9" and about 150 lbs.

Thanks guys!

The first problem is it’s tough to have a pack that’s good for all the things you mention.
If you’re going on a multi day backpack style hunt for sheep or goats, the ideal pack is going to be different than if you’re hunting moose or elk from a walltent camp.
An internal frame mountaineering style pack is generally better for a backpack style (sheep/goats) hunt because they’re relatively light, streamlined, designed to be comfortable for daily wearing with a load. If you get a good one it’ll be capable of carrying your camp, deboned meat and some horns strapped onto it. But they might not be the best choice for carrying large moose quarters out of the bush to a road, or strapping big awkward sets of antlers to them. A sturdy external trame might be better for that.
Think of a sleek and comfortable 4x4 sport utility compared to a big awkward rough diesel longbox. Different purposes.
My advice would be to figure out which need is going to be most important and start there.

For me I mostly use it for backpack hunts so I’ve been using a good mountaineering pack for 11 years. I don’t hunt moose anymore, but when I do hunt caribou, I accept that my mountaineering pack is going to be a little awkward trying to get those antlers tied on.

264mag
01-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Finding the right pack can be a challenge. In my case I started out by purchasing slightly used packs from different manufacturers. I would load them with bags of pellets or sand and get them to 60 pounds. From there I would do some training and some hill climbs and descents. IMO thats the best way to truly test a pack. Over the course of about 3 years I found what works for me.

mod7rem
01-19-2021, 01:23 PM
I should have added that a Camptrails style pack is hard to beat for hunting out of Walltent/truck camp. Because of the one piece waist belt, I find them more comfortable with heavy loads than packs that use a more traditional lumbar pad with two hip belts. They are reasonably tough. They are great for hauling quarters and antlers out of the bush. And they are cheap so it’s not such a big deal if it gets stolen out of your camp or truck.

And you could have a good internal frame pack for backpack hunts.

Jamesonm
01-19-2021, 03:04 PM
Super helpful thanks everyone. I was able to obtain a 10% off discount for Kifaru. Waiting to hear back from EMG. And unfortunately my 42% off with MR is only good for shipping within the US -- bummer.

3than
01-19-2021, 03:44 PM
Tatonka is a solid option there cheaper and get the job done.

whitlers
01-19-2021, 04:46 PM
We have Kuiu, Exo, SG and MR in my group. I have tried them all but the SG. MR was the most comfortable with the Exo a very close second. I ran a Kuiu setup for a while with zero issues and just wanted to try something else so I ended up with an Exo. I can't speak from personal experience but I have heard excellent things about Kifaru.

As for size. I found a frame that allows you to switch out packs is great. I have also found that the new Exo 6400 can be folded right down and ran as a day pack.

I would personally find it tough to fit 3-4 days of gear and food in anything smaller than a 4000 if you are hunting.

Kos
01-19-2021, 06:22 PM
For heavy heavy loads I’ve read that barneys lead the pack depending on the person ofcourse but a big portion of guides in Alaska use those packs and will never switch to a different brand, big upside is the frame is external so it’s a bit better if your hauling out meat the bags also go up to 7900 cui which is good enough for any hunt longer than 5 days and even then would probably be a bit big but it’s always better to have more space and not need it then to not have enough space and need it.

swampthing
01-19-2021, 06:46 PM
On a budget, look to buy used. As said there are a lot of great packs, but, like boots, fit is where its at. Something like a used eberlestock J107 or just one is affordable and useful. These can be found for $250-300.00 It wont carry weight as well as pricier packs but many a man has used this pack! The mystery ranch marshall is also a great option and they can be found for around $500.00

Arctic Lake
01-19-2021, 08:05 PM
Big Slapper. Your link does not seem to work for me ?
Arctic Lake

k25/06
01-19-2021, 08:24 PM
I have a Kifaru EMR 2 with bikini frame. I’ve had the pack since 2014 with zero issues it’s bombproof.

BigSlapper
01-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Well Don, you above all others on here know the disease ... 80% is knowing you have a problem, the other 20% is doing something about it!

Welcome to HBC's gear junkies anonymous BigSlapper.....we're here for you buddy if you need support from other gear junkies :wink::mrgreen:

Meeting dates are as follows

Mondays-Cabelas
Tuesdays-Nechako Sports
Wednesdays-Precision Optics
Thursdays-Westside Stores
Fridays-Reliable Gun
Saturdays-Italian Sporting Goods
Sundays-Bass Pro

Weatherby Fan
01-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Well Don, you above all others on here know the disease ... 80% is knowing you have a problem, the other 20% is doing something about it!

You bet buddy Im probably one of the worst......

BRvalley
01-20-2021, 01:56 PM
i would also add Barneys packs to the list, not as light weight as the other brands mentioned (off top of my head my pack is 7.5 lbs), but it's a workhorse

firebird
01-20-2021, 04:15 PM
I’ve got Mystery Ranch, next bag I’d try is SG. If I was guiding or did more expedition hunting I’d get a Barney’s

porthunter
01-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Some pretty solid advice on this thread thus far, the biggest IMO being try on different packs. Understand its pretty personal.

If you have a curved back, recognize that and filter your search to packs that offer curved frame/stay options... learned that the hard way.

I've been running a Kuiu for 3 years now and while its served me well, packed out quite a few animals with it, with my pretty curved back and that flat frame, anytime I get over 80(ish)lbs it really starts to put stress on my lower/mid back, and no I'm not a super hero that claims to rock 80+lb packs on the regular, but it is shitty for the odd time I have.

I have a Kifaru on order just because of the ability to be relatively custom and have those curved stays. I did try on a few before deciding to pull the trigger, as a Kifaru is pretty much the top of the realm in terms of price but I do think it will be well worth it.

Just for reference, I am 5'9 and about 175lbs right now.

Do not let anyone tell you that Badlands, Alps, Eberlestock are top notch packs. Plain and simple, they are what they are, $400 packs that'll get you by but they definitely are not top notch. I started there and now wish I had just went Kifaru from the start. With that being said, I don't think MR, SG, Exo, Kuiu, etc are bad options either, just needs to be the fit for you.

Weatherby Fan
01-20-2021, 05:55 PM
In terms or durability I would go Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Exo Mtn Gear, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, you can add Barneys in there but it is a external metal framed pack so kind of a different cat

In terms of Lightweight, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Exo Mtn Gear, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru

If your a skinny guy all the packs will fit, if your pleasantly plump like me be careful of KUIU as there Lrg/XLrg I cant even get the belt done up, but my Med/Lrg Mystery Ranch fits go figure

If at all possible try some of these packs on as it could save you a lot of grief even if its an used one by another HBC member just get an idea on fitment.

jac
01-21-2021, 01:17 PM
I had a Marshall and pintler which were good packs. I have just ordered a stone glacier sky 5900, does
anyone have experience with this pack?

dapesche
01-21-2021, 01:34 PM
I have a SG sky5900. I packed out two elk and a mtn goat this fall. It performed brilliantly. I am 5'9" 170lbs. Medium belt. x-curve frame.

I have never once wanted more pockets but I have two hip pockets and the internal camp pocket for food and keys.

I think folks are correct that you need to try bags on but I didn't have the ability so I chose a quality bag.
It seems to fit great but I have no idea what a poorly fit bag feels like.

This bag is so adjustable that I may have too many options. I came from a Horn Hunter Full Curl that I really like as well but I packaged out my first elk in 2019 I found I had issue separating meat from my gear so I upgraded to the SG pack with the bagthat seperates from the frame.

jac
01-21-2021, 01:45 PM
I order it on the X frame also. How many days have you packed in it l? Can you get 7plus days of camp in food in it?

sako75
01-21-2021, 07:50 PM
Where are you from on the island? I have a stone glacier 6900 and a friend has an exo 5500. We are in campbell river you could touch them and try on before you buy.

jikkyo
01-21-2021, 10:46 PM
I went through the same search you did last year.

Was using a regular Osprey 65L pack that could barely handle a boned out blacktail on the island. I ended up choosing a Kifaru 44 Mag with the Duplex Lite frame. Great pack!

I've only worn it for day hunts, but it's very comfortable on my frame. And you really can't beat Kifaru on durability and their reputation for good service. It's a big $$ purchase but I found it well worth it.

SG, Kuiu and Exo were all on my shortlist too. But the modular system Kifaru has just really spoke to me.

decker9
01-22-2021, 02:36 AM
Iv been on the Kifaru kick a lot of years, their packs have treated me well and I’ll continue to use them. Their customer service in sales has gone for shit tho.

Jamesonm
02-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Where are you from on the island? I have a stone glacier 6900 and a friend has an exo 5500. We are in campbell river you could touch them and try on before you buy.

Hey I sent you a PM. I'm south island but happy to drive further north to get a chance to feel the pack.

Best
J

KodiakHntr
02-08-2021, 12:11 PM
I order it on the X frame also. How many days have you packed in it l? Can you get 7plus days of camp in food in it?

Depends on whether the rest of your gear is dialed in really well and how much and what you eat.... 5900 is going to be snug for getting it done depending on the bulk of the rest of your gear. My ex has one and it did pretty well for her, but she wasn't fully self contained either on sheep trips, as she didn't have a tent in her pack.

Personally, for a 7 day trip I would want to be at the 6400 cu in level at a bare minimum. I have used the Sky 7400 for 5 years now I think, for everything from hunting coyotes and whitetails walking out my back door, to multiday sheep trips. The ability to compress a bag down to nothing and then expand it enough to carry the kitchen sink is pretty valuable to me. Zero downsides for me to use it as a daypack.

madcalfe
02-11-2021, 07:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAJTLFrz4&feature=emb_title
watch that video and make a choice

MZac
02-11-2021, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAJTLFrz4&feature=emb_title
watch that video and make a choice

Good video, thanks for sharing. I wish he had a mystery ranch pack in there that he reviewed.