PDA

View Full Version : Stump lake ice

tim.l
01-18-2021, 11:17 AM
Hoping to go up to stump lake to ice fish for some kokanee coming this weekend? Is the ice safe? Worth the drive from the lower mainland or is there still not enough ice?
Or if anyone knows a lake that would hold kokanee and be fishable?
Thanks in advance

Firstblood
01-18-2021, 12:04 PM
Not a chance it has safe ice, I know some guys had their boa tout there for koks recently. Monte and paul are almost all open water, close to 10 degrees, blue sky and a bit of wind yesterday, same thing today. I know a few of the lakes on the fishing highway are barely frozen but Im heading up there this week to check out bridge lake.

tim.l
01-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Hmmm... thanks. Weather looks like it's going to be taking a dip here in the near future. Maybe by the following weekend. The three lakes you mentioned have been the ones I've been hoping on getting out to.

RyoTHC
01-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Not a chance it has safe ice, I know some guys had their boa tout there for koks recently. Monte and paul are almost all open water, close to 10 degrees, blue sky and a bit of wind yesterday, same thing today. I know a few of the lakes on the fishing highway are barely frozen but Im heading up there this week to check out bridge lake.

I recently wasted my time going to the fishing highway. Open water on some lakes trash ice on others. Only Sheridan was fishable and there were snow mobiles everywhere.. I wouldn’t be overly optimistic but if you’re close it’s worth the drive.

RyoTHC
01-18-2021, 02:51 PM
Hmmm... thanks. Weather looks like it's going to be taking a dip here in the near future. Maybe by the following weekend. The three lakes you mentioned have been the ones I've been hoping on getting out to.

you’ll be lucky if stump freezes this year.. it’s always one of the last as is, and not starting until almost February ? Good luck. It’s a shame.

scottym
01-18-2021, 04:43 PM
Better read the regs for stump

Firstblood
01-18-2021, 04:46 PM
The cold snap should take care of them but it will still be pretty thin ice since there is nothing to build on currently. I live outside of loops so not too bad to get to any of the lakes, always a god excuse togo to lone butte sporting good. Latest report was stump had a bit of shore ice on the south end but it was windy in loops today, paul had a skiff across but the next day was 5c and windy, same as monte. Heard through a friend that bridge has ok ice, 4-6" out to kokanee hole so Ill give it a go on wednesday and see.

THE SWEDE
01-18-2021, 04:49 PM
Better read the regs for stump

are you referring to the close area near stump creek?

tim.l
01-18-2021, 07:44 PM
Ya I'm thinking maybe bridge might be the better bet. Keep me posted on what the ice is like.

tipper
01-18-2021, 09:13 PM
There was a couple guys fishing the south end of the lake the other day when I drove by. The north east end was open water though

tim.l
01-21-2021, 01:48 PM
Hey did you get up to bridge? How the ice there? Is it worth the drive from the lower mainland?

RyoTHC
01-21-2021, 03:00 PM
Hey did you get up to bridge? How the ice there? Is it worth the drive from the lower mainland?
As of the 8-10th it certainly wasn’t. If the last week has been really cold you may be in luck but be careful!
there was people in the coves where I’m assuming the wind block allowed more ice to form but the deep spots we couldn’t safely access

Firstblood
01-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Bridge lake has 8'' of solid clear ice, was -21 last night up there. Fishing was slow but they were there for koks lakers and burbs.

tim.l
01-26-2021, 09:01 AM
Got plans for a trip up to bridge lake for family day weekend. Will stay in the area and fish for 2 days. I'll hopefully be targeting mostly koks but a chance at a burb or a laker would be fun. Any advice would be great. Pretty new to ice fishing but I have all the gear including electronics. Thanks in advance.

tim.l
01-29-2021, 08:54 AM
I hear stump has adequate ice for getting out there. Taking the family tomorrow for a day trip. Looking forward to it and hopefully we can get some fish in the colloquial "boat".

RyoTHC
01-29-2021, 08:59 AM
I hear stump has adequate ice for getting out there. Taking the family tomorrow for a day trip. Looking forward to it and hopefully we can get some fish in the colloquial "boat".

we will be out there Sunday to check it out, I know for sure there is ample ice at alleyne and lots of people are limiting on the Kokanee so that’s where we are heading Saturday just to be sure !

tim.l
01-30-2021, 10:08 PM
So went out today. Decided on alleyne because that's what the kids voted on. About 12 inches of ice. 8 inches being nice and clear and 4 on top cloudy.
We managed 1 fishing in about 5 hours of fishing. Seemed pretty normal as most people seemed to be having a slow day.