PDA

View Full Version : first time scouting

brian
10-27-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm on my own scouting an area for the first time (first itme scouting and first time in the area). Blacktail country out by Mission. I find a deer trail with numerous scrapes on it. At one point I could see four or five scrapes in a little cluster. But I am thinking to myself all this seems old to me. I can't say why it feels old, it just does. Gut instinct says so. But my guts been wrong before. I find decent tracks on the deer trail, I also find boot tracks on the deer trail. I see lots of browse around but no indication that the deer have been browsing. Tons of Salil and Oregon-grape and good undergrowth. But no real chomped off bits, no scat. The trail doesn't seem heavily used, but at the same time I could follow it easily enough so it can't be under used. I also find a nifty little ambush point in a crossing point with a ravine, good sight lines and enough noise from the creek to cover my own noise. So the question I have to the gurus on this site who have helped my so much thus far... do I spend some time setting up an ambush at this sight. Or do I move on and scout some more areas?

BlacktailStalker
10-28-2007, 05:45 AM
You found buck sign, not lots of deer sign.
IF that buck is still alive and those scraps arent from this year, chances are he'll be back when the rut kicks in to full gear. There s also a good chance anothre buck may take up that rub line. Those are likely territorial rubs. Every buck has one.
Are they on small trees or big ones? If they are on puny little trees i wouldnt bother myself.
Ideally, find the does. the bucks wont be far away pretty quick.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/TrailCamMay052007005.jpg

Thats the sign of a massive blacktail.

Here he is
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Jonsbuck004.jpg

These rubs are freshened up this year by a different buck now.
Good luck !

brian
10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
I'd say they were all on smaller trees if you are comparing to some of the huge growth around there. All of them on coniferous trees, I believe they're Cedars but my tree ID skills out on the coast are a bit dodgy. I'm learning! Largest rub I found would have been about the width of my hand if you spread your thumb and pinky, so roughly 8" or 8 1/2" round.

Is there any decent way to age a rub or scrape?

BlacktailStalker
10-28-2007, 01:46 PM
81/2" is big for a blacktail. There's no old growth around here and there certainly isnt any small enough to be rubbed lol.
If the hard wood exposed hasnt changed colour, its fresh. If it's just starting to go a light orange, depending on weather, its prob a couple-few days old. The older it gets it goes closer to red, then eventually a brown dead obvious colour. Also check the shavings at the base of the tree for brittleness, if they are brittle, they are dry meaning they are older. Flexibility is fresher. Smell it too, it will only emit the scent of the type of tree for a couple days.

brian
10-28-2007, 10:17 PM
This really helps me a lot. I'm learning tons every time I go out. Thanks!

Marc
10-28-2007, 10:22 PM
If the bark shavings on the ground are still green it's a good sign too.

lapadat
10-28-2007, 10:37 PM
"I see lots of browse around but no indication that the deer have been browsing. Tons of Salil and Oregon-grape and good undergrowth. But no real chomped off bits, no scat. The trail doesn't seem heavily used, but at the same time I could follow it easily enough so it can't be under used"

Your scouting is over for this spot. Sounds to me like you've stumbled upon some good winter range. What aspect is the hillside facing (North, east, etc) and approx what elevation are you at? The deer winter range blocks in the fraser valley are nearly all characterized by what you've mentioned in addition to large timber, south-facing (or a combination of south-southwest/south-southeast) and below 1000m (more like 700-1100m.

The deer may not be browsing there yet because the deer have not yet moved onto thier winter range.....give it another 2-3 weeks and then you will be in prime blacktail habitat.

PM for some more blacktail info around Mission.

hunter1947
10-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Cover ground ,thats what i would do.

brian
10-29-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd say it was South to South East facing, somewhere between 200-500 meters.

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah the big boys will be there for the third week of november if we get lots of snow, maybe sooner.