PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunting sleeping bags

leadpillproductions
01-07-2021, 11:46 AM
Whats everyone using for aug sheep hunting backpacking sleeping bags.

porthunter
01-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Huge fan of the Marmot Elite Trestles bags, have multiple different rated bags for different trips.

Would be making my decision on how heavy of a bag I want weather forecast dependent from those line of bags.

Greg
01-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Used to have a western mountaineering -5 bag when I used Hunt Dalls in the yukon. Seemed to be the only company at the time where the cold rating was actually accurate. Great bag until it went missing. Lightweight and reasonably warm, with good zipper.

Weatherby Fan
01-07-2021, 02:18 PM
I have 3 different Valandre bags, Shocking Blue -20c/-5F, Bloody Mary -15c/5F and the Swing -5c/23F, they are an excellent bag, I picked up two of them used but new on EBay for half the retail cost.

k25/06
01-07-2021, 07:13 PM
I’ve been using the Marmont Plasma 15f/-9c. It’s just under 2LB with 875+ fill. I’ve used it sheep hunting and on late season backpack mule deer hunts. No issues.

Darksith
01-07-2021, 07:36 PM
Stone Glacier

never.truly.lost
01-10-2021, 07:23 PM
I have the Nemo/First Lite Scout 30. Pretty decent to date (2 trips to the Rockies) and no issues. Wish it was a little wider but the price was right for the weight and bulk.

Numenor604
01-10-2021, 08:26 PM
Used my MEC Draco -9 last August and it worked well

Ohwildwon
01-11-2021, 08:46 AM
Western mountaineering,

buy once, cry once

decker9
01-11-2021, 10:27 AM
I bought a marmot -7c bag about 10 years ago and it’s always been a good bag for august/September. Think it weighs about 3lbs, and cost about $300 at the time. Good investment for the price, but has gotten pretty pounded out.

On that note, I want to be comfier. I’m upgrading my bag(s), and started with a cold weather bag. I couldn’t decide between down or synthetic, so I bought both, a WM antelope (5F with overfill) and a Kifaru 0 degree slick bag. I haven’t tested either of them yet (hope to in February) and tho they are two different animals, the WM stands out without a doubt being a nicer bag. Twice the loft, packs smaller (It fits in my marmot stuff sac), it’s lighter, and just plain comfier. Honestly I’m not to impressed with the look/feel of the slick bag and it’s top zipper. A guy will be relying on his sleep pad for comfort, because there’s not much cushion in the bag.

From never having a WM bag in my hands before, and after fondling this antelope, I’m sold. I will be picking up a lighter WM bag in the future for august hunts.

huntcoop
01-11-2021, 11:26 AM
I agree decker9, my WM Badger is phenomenal and those no snag zippers are awesome.

leadpillproductions
01-11-2021, 11:30 AM
Thats where I'm leaning just need to decide which model?
Western mountaineering,

buy once, cry once

264mag
01-11-2021, 12:34 PM
I agree on the WM bags, which model do guys like for August sheep hunts?

leadpillproductions
01-11-2021, 03:34 PM
That was my next question

Bustercluck
01-11-2021, 04:13 PM
I’m using a mountain hardware down filled bag rated for -9c. I picked it up in the back of our local atmosphere store super cheap. I think it was 50% off. They always had a shelf with discontinued stuff that wasn’t advertised in their flyer.

tdot
01-11-2021, 05:28 PM
If you're settled on WM then there aren't any wrong answers. Though I'd suggest staying away from the Gore Windstopper range, it can work, but limits the versatility of the bag, IMO.

If you want as light as possible, look at the Extreme Lite Series, otherwise MicroFiber series. Then choose temp rating and if you want a mummy or more room.

I think the Alpinlite is awesome. A touch warm for me, so I've moved 100% to a down quilt that can be zipped into a bag, best of both worlds.

264mag
01-13-2021, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=tdot;2223861]If you're settled on WM then there aren't any wrong answers. Though I'd suggest staying away from the Gore Windstopper range, it can work, but limits the versatility of the bag, IMO.

If you want as light as possible, look at the Extreme Lite Series, otherwise MicroFiber series. Then choose temp rating and if you want a mummy or more room.

I think the Alpinlite is awesome. A touch warm for me, so I've moved 100% to a down quilt that can be zipped into a bag, best of both worlds.[/QU

Which quilt did you with?

huntcoop
01-14-2021, 08:39 AM

I used my WM Badger for an August trip and it was excellent.

Blockcaver
01-14-2021, 08:58 AM
I've had excellent luck staying warm with a KUIU Super Down -9C/15F bag even into early Oct. Holding up well thru 7 seasons and a fair bit of use so far, around 200 nights. It is fairly snug....if you are claustrophobic get something else.

leadpillproductions
01-14-2021, 04:38 PM
I would need something with wider shoulders

264mag
01-14-2021, 06:06 PM
I use the kuiu -9 bag as well. Its great but its warm in August and its fairly tight. it weighs 23 oz. I have been researching quilts as I am a restless side sleeper. Looking at Enlightened equipment and Underground equipment. Curious to see what others say about quilts.

Laurp99
01-15-2021, 12:17 AM
I have a Western Mountaineering Ultralite, it weighs under 2lbs and is rated to -7C but I camped in -15C with it while wearing extra layers for comfort.
The only issue is it is a narrower bag, so if you're on the hefty side it may be a challenge.

Ohwildwon
01-15-2021, 08:24 PM
Have the antelope GWR -15c
had it to -20c no prob!

stoneramhunter
01-15-2021, 08:38 PM
Little trick we use sheep hunting when using lite bags. if the weather turns colder than expected which is often the case even in August wrap sleeping bag in a tarp this will keep more heat trapped. by as much as several degrees.

mwj
01-15-2021, 09:03 PM
I hate being constricted by a mummy bag so I'm using a Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger -18C combined with a quality pad like a Neo Air X-therm.

BgBlkDg
01-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Buy a WM Exremelite in whatever size fits you and rock on. I had an Alpinlite, bit too tight for my Neanderthal build so went to a Terralite and am happy with this. avoid GT and other such shells in this bag.

mod7rem
01-16-2021, 12:21 AM
My first sheep hunt was with a heavy synthetic mummy probably 6lbs+. Then upgraded to an Asolo Down mummy -9C bag for a few more trips. The bag is probably 15 years old and still used by one of my sons. Then used a Marmot Helium for at least 10 years of sheep hunting and it’s a great bag. It’s the older 3/4 zip version so can be a little restrictive getting in and out of. My last two years of sheep hunting I’ve used a UGQ Bandit Quilt -18C and I really like it so far.

kootenaycarver
01-16-2021, 07:46 AM
I have used a Taiga Works sleeping bag over the last 20+ yrs. and have been very pleased with it. Not a Western mountaineering bag, but good quality at less than half the price. Worth a look.

swampthing
01-16-2021, 10:56 AM
I just had my taiga cloud 9 out on its first winter camp. A quality bag for sure and well priced

tdot
01-16-2021, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=tdot;2223861]If you're settled on WM then there aren't any wrong answers. Though I'd suggest staying away from the Gore Windstopper range, it can work, but limits the versatility of the bag, IMO.

I think the Alpinlite is awesome. A touch warm for me, so I've moved 100% to a down quilt that can be zipped into a bag, best of both worlds.[/QU

Which quilt did you with?

I have a Nunatak down 30 deg f quilt. I can either layer up if I think I'll be cold. Though have been comfortable when temps were just freezing. I can also add an Apex 40 deg over quilt, if I am well into freezing temps. Makes for a versatile, light system with redundancy. Probably wont go back to a sleeping bag unless I was consistently in -10 to -15 and lower. Which I just don't camp in anymore.

tdot
01-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Forgot to add that the Nunatak quilt has a sewn footbox and a zipper that can seal it up like a sleeping bag. Its more like a hoodless mummy bag with a 1/2 zip, as opposed to a true flat quilt.

The over quilt that I use is a flat quilt.

I find this combo makes it the most versatile system possible.

AllDay
03-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Has anyone had trouble with their down bags during wet sheep hunts, late season goat hunts, etc? I had major issues with moisture in my synthetic bag this year... not sure what was happening. Could have been sweat, but the sleeping bag was drenched every night strangely. Slept in my gortex rain gear most nights inside my sleeping bag.

Anyone have any issues with their down sleeping bag in very wet locations?

BigSlapper
03-02-2021, 03:52 PM
Enlightened Equipment Enigma 850 quilt ... best I've ever had.

firebird
03-02-2021, 05:04 PM
MH phantom alpine -9 with a light bivy sack

2lbs

Ridgehunter604
03-14-2021, 04:38 PM
Anyone know where to pick up a western mountaineering antelope bag?
I can’t seem to find one anywhere.

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2021, 04:56 PM
Anyone know where to pick up a western mountaineering antelope bag?
I can’t seem to find one anywhere.

You can order them through MEC, there's one on EBay.com right now but its GWS version for 650.00 USD or best offer

Ridgehunter604
03-14-2021, 08:15 PM
I’d like to avoid MEC if possible, and buy from someplace that wasn’t anti guns/hunting.

BgBlkDg
03-15-2021, 03:46 PM
MEC is closed and has been for quite some time............

Buy from Charlie at Bear River Outfitters, 435-764-1111, I have done 1000s of $ worth of business with him since 2006 and he is a first class act in all respects.

I bought a Hille. NIAK and two WM bags from him simmer b4 last with total satisfaction.

Rackmastr
03-15-2021, 04:28 PM
MEC is still open.

I've heard some great things about the new Stone Glacier bags. For a synthetic bag, the Kifaru slick bags are really nice as well.

I have a nice Mountain Hardwear dry-down bag thats been amazing on late season hunts, and still have an Integral Designs synthetic that I use for most early season hunts

decker9
03-15-2021, 05:23 PM
I ordered an antelope from the hermits hut in the states. I called before ordering, they were happy to mark a lesser price and shipped usps, didn’t get dinged at all. If you can’t find one in Canada, the folks at the hut were great to deal with and I had the bag in a week.

Ridgehunter604
03-15-2021, 06:24 PM
I could try ordering from the states but have no idea what shipping delays would be like right now.
there shouldn’t be any duty on WM bags as they are made in the states, so just the regular cash grabs.
I guess if I can’t find anything local I’ll try stateside

Ride Red
03-15-2021, 06:44 PM
Huge fan of the Marmot Elite Trestles bags, have multiple different rated bags for different trips.

Would be making my decision on how heavy of a bag I want weather forecast dependent from those line of bags.

I have a couple of these as well and no issues. I’m 6’5” with wide shoulders and their large mummy fits me, but it rolls when I do.

I should add that Atmosphere does a “friends and family sale” at the beginning of the year which you get 25% off their pricing.

Talltimber1
03-19-2021, 07:37 AM
Valandre Bloody Mary but I want to get a quilt this year.

madcalfe
03-19-2021, 08:53 AM
im using a mountain hardware ghost whisperer down bag.

elknut
03-19-2021, 09:29 AM
The only advice I will give is .....Get the warmest you can ..The weather can be from +25C to Snow 8-12 inches ..Better to have to unzip than not be warm enough ...Sleep is your best friend on a sheep hunt ..Being cold and its miserable...Helped friends that went in to Stone Mtn and struggled to get out at the start of the season ..Really heavy snow and they were hypothermic ...They thought they were fine with summer bags ..I wont mention brands of bags but a few ounces more of weight in a sleeping bag is worth its weight ...Trust me ..I have flown in to many places on a sheep hunt and never had a cold night ...Dennis

mod7rem
03-20-2021, 01:48 PM
The only advice I will give is .....Get the warmest you can ..The weather can be from +25C to Snow 8-12 inches ..Better to have to unzip than not be warm enough ...Sleep is your best friend on a sheep hunt ..Being cold and its miserable...Helped friends that went in to Stone Mtn and struggled to get out at the start of the season ..Really heavy snow and they were hypothermic ...They thought they were fine with summer bags ..I wont mention brands of bags but a few ounces more of weight in a sleeping bag is worth its weight ...Trust me ..I have flown in to many places on a sheep hunt and never had a cold night ...Dennis

I totally agree with this advice. Weather changes can be insane during Aug sheep hunts.