PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Inspiration...

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-30-2020, 03:47 PM
In a year, I'll turn 50. I think this is the first time a birthday "gets to me", butu I want to treat myself to a nice and memorable hunting trip. Looking for inspiration, likely, my "parameters" will evolve, but so far, I have....

I'll be going alone (unless it turns out to be family friendly, but don't want to limit myself by that right now)
Exact species is secondary to "the experience"
I am reasonably fit and not afraid of hiking/climbing mountains
Absolutely willing to go south of the border
While I am ok for it to be somewhat expensive, I don't want to spend 10s of thousands on it, either

The "alone" bit appears to be somewhat limiting. Would love to do a caribou hunt up north, but without a friend that seems dangerous(?).

Oh, and lets just assume, for the sake of argument, that Covid is over by the time I go

Thanks for any inspiration

Rieber
12-30-2020, 03:52 PM
Hog hunting with AKs out of a helicopter. Also work in night hog hunt.

Just about hits on everything that we can't, or need, to do up here.

Time it right and incorporate a nice w/t hunt.

Downtown
12-30-2020, 03:59 PM
In a year, I'll turn 50. I think this is the first time a birthday "gets to me", butu I want to treat myself to a nice and memorable hunting trip. Looking for inspiration, likely, my "parameters" will evolve, but so far, I have....

I'll be going alone (unless it turns out to be family friendly, but don't want to limit myself by that right now)
While I am ok for it to be somewhat expensive, I don't want to spend 10s of thousands on it, either

The "alone" bit appears to be somewhat limiting. Would love to do a caribou hunt up north, but without a friend that seems dangerous(?).

Oh, and lets just assume, for the sake of argument, that Covid is over by the time I go

348 Posts since 2018, Guys like that I dont mind to help out.

I can tell you about the best time and a good Fly In Lake to hunt Caribou in the Cassiars. PM me and we go from there !

Cheers

albravo2
12-30-2020, 04:09 PM
I wonder if an outfitter would work. You'd be hunting alone but you wouldn't be alone.

A horseback moose/sheep/caribou trip would be pretty memorable.

Blueback2014
12-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Inspiration? I did a caribou hunt at 76 and am now 80 and still hunting

Moose63
12-30-2020, 05:34 PM

More than enough inspiration for me....Thanks!

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-30-2020, 05:49 PM
Yep, same here... good one you! Hope I will be the same when I grow up!

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Yeah that thought crossed my mind as well. Will be looking into prices in January...

I wonder if an outfitter would work. You'd be hunting alone but you wouldn't be alone.

A horseback moose/sheep/caribou trip would be pretty memorable.

338win mag
12-30-2020, 05:52 PM
That's great! ....age is just a number!

butthead
12-30-2020, 05:54 PM
now your talking

butthead
12-30-2020, 05:55 PM

now your talkin

Bustercluck
12-30-2020, 06:11 PM

A guy I know has some pretty cool night vision videos from hunting hogs(I think he was in Texas), not from a helicopter though

swampthing
12-30-2020, 07:07 PM
I think its great you are doing a trip for your 50th! I didnt do anything special for mine. I like the alone thing! Dont consider a solo hunt dangerous. You must be cautious but I have never considered solo to be dangerous. But, for a 50th a good partner may be more what you want? I enjoy solo trips more than most but I will always take a good partner given choice. Your caribou hunt sounds like a hoot! A fly in would be special. After watching that plane fly away its always nice for your next glance to be at a partner you trust your life with! Have fun!

IslandWanderer
12-30-2020, 07:47 PM
Deer hunting on the Charlottes is fun. Been twice, nice country, lots of deer. Maybe try for a GOS elk while there.

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-31-2020, 09:57 AM
Oh, hadn't considered that.... I like that idea as well. Thanks for that. Will look into it... How long did you go for on your trips to consider it "worth it"?

Deer hunting on the Charlottes is fun. Been twice, nice country, lots of deer. Maybe try for a GOS elk while there.

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-31-2020, 10:02 AM
Well, true. If given the choice I would prefer to do this with a partner, but.. I don't have anyone in my circle of friends that I can see tag along, do what I would want to do and enjoy the experience... It is what it is...

I think its great you are doing a trip for your 50th! I didnt do anything special for mine. I like the alone thing! Dont consider a solo hunt dangerous. You must be cautious but I have never considered solo to be dangerous. But, for a 50th a good partner may be more what you want? I enjoy solo trips more than most but I will always take a good partner given choice. Your caribou hunt sounds like a hoot! A fly in would be special. After watching that plane fly away its always nice for your next glance to be at a partner you trust your life with! Have fun!

Everett
12-31-2020, 10:50 AM
In the same boat just turned 50 going to do the fly in for caribou one more time. I highly recommend it one of the most rewarding hunts in BC in my experience. Bring a sat phone for emergencies and don't do anything stupid.

Imdone
12-31-2020, 11:01 AM
Dream hunt. Sheep and Caribou in Yukon, Alaska or NWT......some even use choppers if your limited by ability or health. Witha guide outfit your not by yourself.

BC Guide Outfitters don't seem to offer much of a deal at all for BC residents.

Tetsa, AA Packers, Steamboat are Packers that work some beautiful country. But you would be alone hunting then.

Good luck on your Quest.

sakohunter
12-31-2020, 11:10 AM
I am willing to share some ideas,

High Country Wyoming or Colorado Mule Deer Hunt,
Caribou hunting and Arctic Char fly fishing near the arctic ocean,
Deer and pig hunting in New Zealand,
Sea Trout fly fishing in Scandinavia
and any hunt that I can get away from the noise of society till I only hear nature.

IslandWanderer
12-31-2020, 05:15 PM
Oh, hadn't considered that.... I like that idea as well. Thanks for that. Will look into it... How long did you go for on your trips to consider it "worth it"?

Our last trip my son and I tagged out on day 5 of 8 (5 deer), but we could have stretched it out if we were more picky about bigger deer. We also go out for breakfast when hunting so don't start hunting till around 10:30. Would of gone this year too if not for Covid.

We hung out with another father and son each night at the pub and they tagged out (10 deer) after about 4 days.

combine pilot
12-31-2020, 05:28 PM
Speed goat [antelope] from Silver Sage in Alberta.

Kos
12-31-2020, 05:46 PM
Kodiak island brown bear hunt would be cool if you can pull a tag.

Model 70
12-31-2020, 06:16 PM
Try Africahunting.com for some good ideas. I'm 10 years ahead (behind?) at almost 60, that's what I'm working on.:mrgreen:

3than
12-31-2020, 06:34 PM
For a cheaper price compared to other species id definitely say antelope would be a cool one to go after.

weatherbyjunkie
12-31-2020, 07:50 PM
Caribou is an amazing idea,beautiful beautiful animals.
Africa has always been my personal dream,and affordable depending on what you would like to hunt. A very good friend of mine has been to South Africa twice and hunted with cruiser safaris. He said they were top notch, accommodating to his wife,she went out with a guide on photo safaris and game watching trips and loved it. For approx $5300 he took a Kudu, 2 wildebeest, and 2 other animals.
mexico for mulies. Or Alaska for brown bear.
some states have places where you can hunt antelope and bison. Maybe the Dakotas?

cheers

375shooter
12-31-2020, 07:59 PM

Treat yourself to that caribou hunt, and do it solo. Being alone way back in the mountains is GREAT! Don't be worried about danger. Plan it right, then play it safe, and you'll be fine. The hunt will probably turn out to be one of your most memorable.

Huntingtyler123
12-31-2020, 08:49 PM
Cougar hunt on the island with some dogs, that’s one of my bucket list ideas. Probably a antelope hunt in Alberta also. Can’t go wrong with any choice though!

Norwestalta
01-01-2021, 06:18 AM
A unique hunt is antelope. I think a guy can do a DIY in Wyoming for pretty reasonable. If you like shooting and screwing around a gopher or prairie dog shoot is a great way to spend a week. Outfitted goose hunt might be a fun time as well that won't break the bank.

nature girl
01-01-2021, 09:58 AM
I think you would love a caribou hunt. When I shot my caribou the 2 guys carried the meat and I carried the hide and horns out. It was a very long day with the pack out but well worth it. Yes having a partner would help but you could to it.

Or since you have children maybe plan a trip with your wife and kids and go stay at a nice cabin and go hunting and go fishing to. Since you would rather be fishing. That would be a great way to remember your 50th.
And think your age is just a number.

Would Rather Be Fishing
01-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Thanks all for the ideas... I think what "speaks to me" most are the fly-in caribou and the Haida Gwai deer, will start doing some research into those.

wallz
01-05-2021, 02:43 PM
I'm turning 50 this year as well. Mostly hunt with the teens as I am teaching them the craft, but not afraid to go solo. Was Solo for a moose hunt last fall for 4 days up north while waiting the rest of the party to go bison hunting. Didn't end up shooting anything, but understand enough to take it slower if I had shot a moose. This was just 2 weeks after helping one of the teens with his successful LEH bull in the Caribou, so I understand the work involved and was mentally prepared for the work.

That said, if you have a significant other, you could maybe get them involved in the art as well and always have a partner to go with.

Lots of moose or caribou outfitters in northern BC or the Yukon to book a "solo" hunt with. Could also put in for the multiple raffles through out the year and possibly win a trip. I keep dreaming about this one! You being solo hunter in a guided trip you are not alone at all.

BCHunterFSJ
01-05-2021, 03:34 PM
That's great! ....age is just a number!

...but unfortunately health can get in the way!
Do it while you can - you're still a youngster.

ACB
01-05-2021, 06:10 PM

Don't let birthdays get to you, there's nothing wrong with having birthdays, it beats the alternative. "George Burns"

dakoda62
01-05-2021, 06:26 PM
I did my bucket list hunt with an outfitter up north, 10 day moose hunt, horseback. since then i have done it twice more. for a total of 3 hunts, a bit pricey but you can't take it with you. 3 trips 3 nice bulls.