PDA

View Full Version : Muley Sheds

Haydenmk
12-22-2020, 09:07 PM
Thought I would ask you shed pros a question. What’s the earliest you have found fresh sheds off a muley in BC?

HK

srthomas75
12-22-2020, 10:10 PM
7:00 AM but I'm not a pro,

HarryToolips
12-22-2020, 10:16 PM
January.........

twoSevenO
12-22-2020, 10:42 PM

Loooooool .... nice

Haydenmk
12-22-2020, 11:02 PM

Lol thanks!

lovemywinchester
12-23-2020, 09:40 AM
Most Mulies around here pack their antlers into March. Guys go out and pound the bush early winter but the bucks are still packing and all they do is chase deer around the wintering grounds.

walks with deer
12-23-2020, 09:47 AM
agreed bumping wintering deer isnt cool unless you know where theres some cats or dogs to shoot while in there.

HighCountryBC
12-23-2020, 11:35 AM
Most Mulies around here pack their antlers into March. Guys go out and pound the bush early winter but the bucks are still packing and all they do is chase deer around the wintering grounds.

Everyone should read this several times over.

Bubbacanuck
12-23-2020, 12:10 PM
agreed bumping wintering deer isnt cool unless you know where theres some cats or dogs to shoot while in there.

This is it. I would focus on hunting cats & dogs and hopefully while at it you find sheds. This is my plan for Jan-Mar when not out shooting ducks & geese.

Haydenmk
12-23-2020, 12:42 PM
Great advice, the earliest I’ve found sheds is March so makes sense.

wideopenthrottle
12-23-2020, 12:50 PM
it is hard to appreciate the damage you can do disturbing animals in the harsh of winter.....on my last hunt of the year the weather was the worst to me (as in rain/sleet at right around freezing temps)...I walked up into the snow line along a road that had not been walked on so I was leaving new tracks. The rain/sleet was falling and conditions were tough but I was prepared...After I reached the top of the road finding no animal tracks I started back down to meet buddy at the pre-arranged time. Something caught my eye as I was walking down..it was a small clump of feathers...I thought "wow a cat chit right in my boot track after I passed by" but it was not excrement it was just a little bird..it was still soft but slightly wet and no rigamortis so it had just succumbed to the wet/cold...as I tossed it aside I realized I probably had disturbed it on the way up and that was enough for it to get a bit wet and die....

fuzzybiscuit
12-23-2020, 03:11 PM
it is hard to appreciate the damage you can do disturbing animals in the harsh of winter.....on my last hunt of the year the weather was the worst to me (as in rain/sleet at right around freezing temps)...I walked up into the snow line along a road that had not been walked on so I was leaving new tracks. The rain/sleet was falling and conditions were tough but I was prepared...After I reached the top of the road finding no animal tracks I started back down to meet buddy at the pre-arranged time. Something caught my eye as I was walking down..it was a small clump of feathers...I thought "wow a cat chit right in my boot track after I passed by" but it was not excrement it was just a little bird..it was still soft but slightly wet and no rigamortis so it had just succumbed to the wet/cold...as I tossed it aside I realized I probably had disturbed it on the way up and that was enough for it to get a bit wet and die....

Really? You don’t actually believe that do you? If animals were so easily disturbed that it caused them to die in inclement weather there wouldn’t be any left come spring.

As for chasing deer around in their winter grounds, I’d agree with previous posters that it should be avoided.

wideopenthrottle
12-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Really? You don’t actually believe that do you? If animals were so easily disturbed that it caused them to die in inclement weather there wouldn’t be any left come spring.

As for chasing deer around in their winter grounds, I’d agree with previous posters that it should be avoided.……..

um..obviously not all animals are going to die after being disturbed one time during winter........ I am talking about the ones barely hanging in there that get pushed into flight mode when they should be eating/staying warm/surviving...you've heard the expression "the straw that broke the camels back" ...I've been in the bush long enough to know what i see....maybe you think I just gave it a heart attack...its eyes were still clear not cloudy, it had just died...believe what you want

ps......winter does in fact kill a huge number of animals

blackbart
12-23-2020, 06:21 PM
Big bucks tend to shed first and can do it as early as Christmas, this is rare but does happen. I believe bucks that are super beat up from the rut or even injured shed first. Healthy young fellas can pack into March.

tracker
12-23-2020, 06:36 PM
picked up some real nice muley sheds at the end of January before, out cat hunting we go past a lot of deer, they just stand there and watch us pass by, does not bother them at all.

more focus should be put on just before the fawns and calves start dropping ,may and june

Islandeer
12-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Give them the time and respect they deserve, let them winter. Think of there gig, being hunted 24/7 every freakin day. Finally get some solace and some effin human looking for old bone screws up their day.

Just wait a bit, watch a few more u tube vids.

hunter1947
12-24-2020, 06:37 AM
It would be nice if the wildlife branch implemented a new law not allowing any sheds picked up till Aprial first..

hunter1947
12-24-2020, 06:38 AM
Earliest I found a mule deer shed is on Jan 27..

twoSevenO
12-25-2020, 08:43 PM
I have seen a blacktail buck swim the vedder river in January while out steelhead fishing .... he had shed his antlers already.

WildernessLocals
01-10-2021, 01:29 AM
I have seen a blacktail buck swim the vedder river in January while out steelhead fishing .... he had shed his antlers already.

that would be a cool sight. I very rarely see deer down on the river

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-10-2021, 05:47 PM
4 days ago, 8 deer walked through the yard. One buck only had one horn. A few minutes later after wandering out front they were spooked and run up the hill behind the house. About 20 minutes later they wandered back down into the back yard. One deer wandered by the kitchen window and had a fresh blood spot on its head. I strapped on the snow shoes and followed the tracks up the hill, and picked up the shed. So Jan 6 is pretty early for mulie drops but was neat to find. Brought it inside for a picture and it was dripping blood, which I thought was a bit strange.