PDA

View Full Version : New to Elk hunting and have a few questions

mikejw194
12-20-2020, 10:52 PM
Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice on elk hunting. The past few years we have hunted mules in the okanagan towards the end of October with some success. During these hunts we stumble across elk but after they close sadly as we saw a couple nice bull this time. We are planning to hunt elk next season, thinking up north or east kootenays. Guess my hesitation is do we go somewhere new which would be incredible experience or focus on where we've seen elk in our deer spot? Its also the end of Oct when we see them. Would they be there earlier? Or are we just lucky and catch them migrating to their winter range?

Thanks,
Mike

pg83
12-21-2020, 07:48 AM
Up North or EK are both great options for an elk hunt!
What is your(or your group's) focus, "the experience" or an assumed success rate at a known location? I'm a sucker for both. It's possible the elk you have seen in your deer spot will also be there at different times of the year, but they may also be just passing through.

Too many variables to your questions to give you an absolute answer to them. I suggest trying all the options, happy hunting!

RackStar
12-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Stick to your local area you know! No point on flocking to the “popular” elk spots with the sheep and line up like a bunch of cattle.

hunt your ground, scout it, get to know it. If there’s elk there... you can certainly kill one

huntingfamily
12-21-2020, 09:38 AM
Stick to your local area you know! No point on flocking to the “popular” elk spots with the sheep and line up like a bunch of cattle.

hunt your ground, scout it, get to know it. If there’s elk there... you can certainly kill one

This is what I'd suggest as well. Learn how to call while you're waiting for the season to start. Lots of scouting during the summer. Set up trail cams where you see sign.
I've taken one okanagan bull elk.

moosinaround
12-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Local time, and scout it out. Trailcams are your friend!!

cameron0518
12-21-2020, 02:11 PM
The Kootenays and North have turned into giant sausage parties. Stick to a nice local herd where you have a good idea where to find them.

3than
12-21-2020, 02:47 PM
Practice calling whenever you can. Driving to work is a good time to practice.

Ron.C
12-21-2020, 03:23 PM
If your in Reg 8 , not a far drive to reg 4. I say spend your time and learn your local herd first , but nothing wrong with learning a new area as well. There are still some decent spots to hunt elk in the koots.

wiggy
12-22-2020, 11:07 PM
If your in Reg 8 , not a far drive to reg 4. I say spend your time and learn your local herd first , but nothing wrong with learning a new area as well. There are still some decent spots to hunt elk in the koots.

i totally agree. Go see some new turf. Expire the province if you. There are a lot better places to hunt Elk then 8
You say your seeing them at the end of the season anyway. Go for a tour earlier. You never know when magic can happen but one thing for
‘sure. You need to be looking for it Good luck. Happy hunting

mikejw194
03-02-2021, 10:04 PM
Thank you everyone for the response and help. My apologies for the delayed reply, had lots happen in the last few months but all good now. The plan is to scout the area we know in the Okanogan during summer and set up the cameras, hunt the east Kootenays in Sept. If we're unsuccessful in Sept then hunt our spot Oct 13-20 before elk close and open to any buck in the Okanogan. Looking forward to this season

Thanks again,
Mike

Weatherby Fan
03-02-2021, 10:36 PM
Mike

we hunt the East Kootenays Oct 10-20th most years, hunting seems better if lots of snow forcing the Elk down, we mainly target them on their daily feeding routines, I have called a few Bulls in bugling in Oct.
Learning a new area can be frustrating but rewarding as well.

Good Luck in your hunts.

dany
03-02-2021, 11:14 PM
Most important thing in terms of elk hunting is to send a letter to your MLA through either BCWF or WSSBC to make sure the antis don't kill our elk hunting possibilities. As elk is on their sick list, too.

pg83
03-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Most important thing in terms of elk hunting is to send a letter to your MLA through either BCWF or WSSBC to make sure the antis don't kill our elk hunting possibilities. As elk is on their sick list, too.

THIS^^^

Don't forget to send one on behalf of your individual family members as well!

Bugle M In
03-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Depends how much time you have and how many times you can get out.
If it is a once a year deal, then yes, there are some areas in the province that have more main herds of elk.
But that comes with hunters as well.

Other areas hold elk, but less #'s (especially in some areas of EK where the #'s have dropped dramatically)
This can make it hard when learning a new area.
You might be in the right area, but due to the elk # situation, you might think its a crap area but it isnt or should i say wasnt.

Place up north have been a keen spot for many who love hunting elk but got fed up with the EK situation.
But, sounds like up there it isnt going as well either anymore, due to possibly poor managing and farmers wanting elk off their land.
And, yup, it is busy up there as well in some spots.

If you can get away a few times, then i would pick a less popular place first, hunt it and try to learn it and see what happens.
And on the next trip, pick an area where many know hold elk and plenty of hunters as well.

I stick with a fairly unpopular place these days because i know the area and where to look after all these years.
But when it comes to our elk, it is in a bad place in some of these areas, so success has been frustrating.
Few legal 6pts and lots of crosshairs on them if they do take a peek.

A place where 5pt or better is the the situation does help success.
Or, the early bow season is becoming extremely popular as well, with much of the success happening during that hunt these past few years for many.

Always a few honey holes in hard to reach places that most dont have the time to get to.
Way up north there are some spots as well, but requires time and boats, but better hunting success also.