PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stand around Burnaby Mountain

rollingrock
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I think I checked Burnaby city bylaw and am pretty sure that hunting is prohibited in Burnaby no matter what you hunt with.:cool::D

Oh well someone built a very nice tree stand at the foot of the mountain where you're guaranteed for a nice buck. If you're a member of this site, man, you'd better watch out. I think you either work in that area or live in that area, but you should check the bylaw before you go ahead. My wife found the stand and actually took the pix of it and brought to me. I think the stand was very well built, actually pretty nice. 8-):biggrin: But do you really want to kill those deer in that area? Think it over, man!

Steeleco
10-26-2007, 09:50 AM
It could be for another use, but I'd call a CO and have it checked out.

J_T
10-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Most hunters won't use a homemade stand. Hunters want to leave as small a footprint as possible. No nails, no spikes, no lumber.

Portable and retrievable.

I'm sure the stand you found was put there by someone outside the hunting community.

rollingrock
10-26-2007, 10:07 AM
That stand was pretty well hidden. If it wasn't for hunting, I couldn't think of anything else there. :D

As I said, it must be built by someone living or working in that area.

308BAR
10-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Post up the picture be interesting to see. I know there are a few deers in the ravines and green belts along the Burnaby and Coquitlam boarder. More importantly we need the picture of the buck! ;)

Mauser98
10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
That stand was pretty well hidden. If it wasn't for hunting, I couldn't think of anything else there. :D

As I said, it must be built by someone living or working in that area.

Photography??????

rollingrock
10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I won't disclose more details at this moment.

But again, to the person who built the stand: if you're a member of site and see this thread, please do yourself a favour by destroying that stand.

tufferthandug
10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Price of lumber.... 30 bucks

Price of nails... 2 bucks

Price of getting off school and heading to your new tree-fort with your buddies only to be trampled by 10 Fish-Cops waiting for a poacher to show up........ PRICELESS!

Ciskman
10-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Price of lumber.... 30 bucks

Price of nails... 2 bucks

Price of getting off school and heading to your new tree-fort with your buddies only to be trampled by 10 Fish-Cops waiting for a poacher to show up........ PRICELESS!

HAHAHAHHAHA Awsome!!

One Shot
10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I think I checked Burnaby city bylaw and am pretty sure that hunting is prohibited in Burnaby no matter what you hunt with.:cool::D

I may be mistaken but I believe that municiple governments here in BC do not have the power to prohibit hunting within their boundries as that is a provincial jurisdicction. They do how ever have the power to prohibit the use or discharge of guns, bows air rifles and sling shots etc. within their boundries.

Burnaby Bylaw No. 4669 mentions

3. In this bylaw "firearms" includes air guns, air rifles, air pistoles and spring guns.

It does not mention bows, crossbows or slingshots. So I believe that a individual could legally hunt there with a bow if not disallowed by provincial regulations. He may have a legal good thing going why spoil it.

Gateholio
10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Could very well be a bird watchers stand. They make stands similar to tree stands..Especially if it overlooks some swamp/meadow etc that attracts birds.

MB_Boy
10-26-2007, 12:40 PM

A nice spot for some homeless druggie to ride out the effects of their buzz??:roll:

rollingrock
10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I do remember some time ago when I was studying the bylaws of all the cities in LM I came across a bylaw of City of Burnaby prohibiting hunting within the city boundary. I just went through their online bylaw library and couldn't find that one but the Firearms Regulation bylaw which excludes bows. So you can shoot bow in Burnaby but you can't shoot real guns, airguns and spring guns. Maybe some changes were done?

I've noticed that spot long time ago and have found heavy deer traffic at that spot. I'm pretty sure that stand was built for deer hunting. Maybe a phone call to city hall will answer the question?

One Shot
10-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Just spoke to a CO I know who confirmed that the City cannot prohibit hunting, only the discharge of firearms bows etc. He indicated that one would have to check the Prov. hunting regs. to see if the whole or part of Burnaby is include in the no hunting areas. The standard distances from residences, schools roads etc would apply along with season dates and quotas etc.

rollingrock
10-26-2007, 01:34 PM
One Shot is correct. As long as you don't hunt within any city park or conservation area, you're okay. I just talked to a PC of Burnaby RCMP too. So it looks like the person who set up the tree stand knows the laws, and the tree stand is just out of the boundary of Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area. Smart a$$! As long as this guy uses bow only, I believe he's okay. Arrrr, I need a bow! :D

Phoneguy
10-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Seen near Burnaby Mountain a couple of years ago:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7b0a4674-7db6-469f-a440-d6b649cad8a1.jpg

rchoward101
10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
who ever thinks that hunters don't make their own stands is on glue... take a hike in the woods and look up they are everywhere, you don't need to buy everything at cabelas

JoshLedoux
10-26-2007, 03:01 PM
assume nothing. I used to build tree forts up there all the time when I was a kid and in numerous other places. Some poor kids dad helped him build it and now a bunch of people want to tear it down because we suspect it is used to hunt. Sounds like a bit of a reach to hunt Burnaby mountain anyways.

Caveman
10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
who ever thinks that hunters don't make their own stands is on glue... take a hike in the woods and look up they are everywhere, you don't need to buy everything at cabelas

Exactly, I've even put a stand or two myself, as well as have found several out there. Somebody had to make them before Cabela started selling them.

Th0r
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Why dont we all use it but make it limited entry:biggrin:

Ovis17
10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
I think an archery club has club property near deer lake in Burnaby. Pretty sure you can shoot a bow in Burnaby.....................

bsa30-06
10-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I think an archery club has club property near deer lake in Burnaby. Pretty sure you can shoot a bow in Burnaby.....................

archery field right at burnaby lake beside CG Brown pool and the ice rink.

30-378-magnum
10-26-2007, 05:30 PM
shouldnt u guys b out hunting or something..???

bsa30-06
10-26-2007, 05:42 PM
shouldnt u guys b out hunting or something..???

i cant somebody figured out where my treestand is......just kidding guys it aint mine:grin:

RMG
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Just spoke to a CO I know who confirmed that the City cannot prohibit hunting, only the discharge of firearms bows etc. He indicated that one would have to check the Prov. hunting regs. to see if the whole or part of Burnaby is include in the no hunting areas. The standard distances from residences, schools roads etc would apply along with season dates and quotas etc.

This doesnt make sense. A city cant prohibit hunting, but they can prohibit the use of firearms, pellet guns, airguns, bows, crossbows and the likes. So isnt that just prohibiting hunting, only not saying so. Like saying you can hunt, you just cant hunt with a gun, bow, slingshot.

J_T
10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Well it's been a long time since I thought about getting off on glue. It must be closer something you know about. I don't buy anything at Cabelas.

The point I'm making is that hunters carry themselves with dignity and are conservation minded law abiding citizens. Spiking trees is frowned upon. Most of us I'm sure prefer to enter the forest, become one with it and leave it as we found it. Minus an animal.

Building tree stands is something we should draw away from. The cost of a good portable is about $150 which isn't much more than the lumber to build one and it's reusable.

Phoneguy
10-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Home Made Tree Stand?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Okanagon%20Hunting%202007/HuntingTripOct2007064.jpg

boxhitch
10-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Rollingrock, you a wilderness watch or something ? No, I bet they even know not to be so judgemental about a wooden structure on someone elses land. Why do you give a rat azz what it is for ?

Beaverhunter
10-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Maybe the guy just likes to get out and doesn't have the time to go somewhere so he goe's to that stand to watch game but not hunt.
Better then nothing to pass time between hunts.

p&p
10-27-2007, 05:39 AM
It Could Be A Birder Or A Nature Photog. Waiting For A Specific Scene Or Setting, Some Of These People Go To Incredible Lengths To Get Thier Shot Of A Life Time.

hunter1947
10-27-2007, 06:02 AM
I think someone built it for viewing the area ,she or he took there coffee or tea there. They built it comfortable enough to sit there for a long period of time. Then filmed wildlife passing through with a camera or movie camera. :wink:.

Caveman
10-27-2007, 09:51 AM
It almost looks like an armchair, could it be just that, an old chair minus the fabric and padding. Some people go to great lengths to get rid of their junk

Gun Dog
10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
One Shot is correct. As long as you don't hunt within any city park or conservation area, you're okay. I just talked to a PC of Burnaby RCMP too.According to my Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting brochure, the discharge of firearms is prohibited by city bylaw in Burnaby. I have no idea if that includes bows, spears and slingshots.

Phoneguy
10-27-2007, 02:42 PM
It almost looks like an armchair, could it be just that, an old chair minus the fabric and padding. Some people go to great lengths to get rid of their junk

Umm, I posted that picture as a joke. The old chair was located on the side of the Peachland FSR.

Caveman
10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Umm, I posted that picture as a joke. The old chair was located on the side of the Peachland FSR.
Okay I bit.

Posted by Gun Dog According to my Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting brochure, the discharge of firearms is prohibited by city bylaw in Burnaby. I have no idea if that includes bows, spears and slingshots.

Bows etc. are not considered firearms. No Pal to aquire, but a BB gun "is" under the definition in the regs.