PDA

View Full Version : Swarovski vs. Zeiss spotting scopes

catwelder
10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Just looking for help and advise before spending the big bucks. What does eveyone think?

ROEBUCK
10-25-2007, 10:49 PM
both the best money can buy in my opinion, both have a really clear crisp image, but the zeiss is a bit cheaper and has a better warrenty, but i think the swarovski has slightly better lens quality

daycort
10-25-2007, 10:58 PM
some reviews say the new ziess are better. Some say the HD is worth it some say not. i don't have the HD and still very happy. I myself have swaros. don't forget about Lieca.

Gateholio
10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Both are excellent. Look thorugh both and decide on the one you like best, an't go wrong with either...

Elkhound
10-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Both are excellent. Look thorugh both and decide on the one you like best, an't go wrong with either...

thats the best advice for both of these pieces of glass

bigwhiteys
10-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Also check out some birders websites... They do some pretty detailed reviews on optics. The Swaro HD is comparable to the Zeiss spotter the lesser Swaro is not as crisp/clear.

I have a Zeiss 85mm 20x60. I've not yet had to deal with Zeiss warranty but from what I've heard Swaro actually has a better warranty... I have a 10+ year old pair of Swaro 8x30's that Swaro just totally rebuilt for me and sent back within 6 weeks. Can't argue there.

With the CAD dollar right now I'd be looking in the states for a spotter.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bruin
10-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't own either scope($) but I have had both in 60X side by side while aging sheep and IMHO the Swaro is superior quality (only slightly) while Ziess is a lighter backpack scope. 56.11 OZ vs 38.8 OZ. I think it depends on the type of hunting you are doing. Backpackers probably want a Ziess. Also price difference Swaro $2500 vs Ziess $1500 (relative), thats American so you could probably swing it for $50 Canadian right now.

dougan
10-26-2007, 11:56 AM
swarovski all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattB
10-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I have the zeiss 20-60x85, its nice but big! The extra weight isnt much of an issue though, it could save you walking miles to look at something that may not be as big as what you want.

catwelder
10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
What about the Ziess fine focus feature. I have yet to look through a Zeiss but have spent many hours behind Swaros, i have found the focus wheel on the latter to be a bit touchy which has led me to this dilema. Anymore input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
chad

bigwhiteys
10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Chad,

I actually like the ease of the Swaro focus on the scope body... But the fine focus on my Zeiss is the cat's ass. I don't even use the course focus . If you've spent lots of time looking through Swaro's then go to your local dealer and try out a Zeiss and see. Either way you are getting into the top-notch glass and I don't think you'll find any of your hunting partners will complain.

From what I understand Swaro and Zeiss both employ price fixing with their dealers... all published prices are going to be very, very close to each other. Talk to the sales rep and they will come down to win the sale. I'd be buying it in the USA. The dealer I bought from wants $1950.00 USD for the Zeiss 85m 20x60 WITH the eyepiece included. That's a pretty good deal. They don't stock Swaro anymore.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Swarovski.
The accessories are a lot nicer for the swaro spotters too.
Warranty shouldnt be an issue with either and I wouldnt bias my opinion on that factor.
I have the 10x42 Els and am partnering those up with the HD spotter.
I just cant decide if I should get the 65mm sts HD or the 80mm HD...
Not sure if the extra 15mm is worth the few onces or size difference. ?

Now is definitely the time to buy though.

tooty
10-26-2007, 06:21 PM
My dad has a old pair of carl zeiss,and are still perfect.I use leica,amazing. Swarovski is excellent.Anyone of those top three will be awsome.It's all going to come down to what you like the best.

bigwhiteys
10-26-2007, 10:16 PM
I just cant decide if I should get the 65mm sts HD or the 80mm HD...

If money isn't an issue go for the 80mm... It's a better optic, a little bigger/heavier but in low light the difference will be noticable. I've glassed through a Swaro 80mm HD and no doubt it's an awesome scope. Any issues just send it to Kindermann in Ontario and they take care of everything for you. The glass will either be sent to the states or back to europe for repair... Stateside they said 6 weeks, if it has to go overseas they told me 8 weeks.

Carl

Phreddy
10-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Zeiss/Swarovski......It's like asking a crowd which apple is better, mcIntosh or Spartans.....once you get into that class of scope, it basically comes down to personal preference.
As mentioned earlier, take a good look at both and then decide. You know it's next to impossible to go wrong with that class of scope.

BCBear
02-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Any tips on keeping a $1200 spotting scope a secret from the wife... I know that a quality pair of binoculars have the power to magnify the fire within. Best to burn the receipt I suppose:-D

Phil
02-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Ya, I know what you mean!!! Best to muzzle your big mouthed friends if they have a tendancy to blab in front of the old lady:cool::wink:

eastkoot
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Leica, Leica!!!

Phreddy
02-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I need to get a tip from you on how to have $1200 that my wife wouldn't know about.

srupp
02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I spent a hour or soo outside with the ZEISS and the Swarovski..

I thought both had exceptional clarity..the ZEISS HAD A "DIFFERENT " CLARITY..something subjective..personal likes??

I chose the Swarovski HD.60 with variable eyepiece..is it 20x-60x

I went with the angled body and I was spotting stone sheep completely down the valley where the Leupold HD could NOT do that the year before..same places.

I did not go with the 80 because of the weight and size..

my .02

and SUSAN encouraged me to "get the best...price was not an issue for her."

steven

Lil Buck
02-20-2009, 10:15 AM
which ever binocular fits nice in your hands.Leica swarovski or zeiss .....
glassing for hours better be comfy in your hands.lol

budismyhorse
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Any tips on keeping a $1200 spotting scope a secret from the wife... I know that a quality pair of binoculars have the power to magnify the fire within. Best to burn the receipt I suppose:-D

The secret is to follow the advice I was given years back by hunter/coworkers......

Load up on gear NOW!!.....before you get married. My GF didn't say a damn thing last year when I punched a 2k cheque for bins......things are a little "different" now.....I just spent more than that on furniture :frown:.

oh yeah, Leica HD's all the way. ;)

Fallkniven
02-20-2009, 10:48 AM
My vote to Swaro, superb optics.