PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish with Kids in LML?

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-17-2020, 12:16 PM
I guess for this year it's a bit late for Crayfish, but next year I thought of taking my little ones out for crayfishing? I have never done it before, but from what I read, it should be an ideal trap-fishery for kids?

We tried crabbing, but without a boat, all the good spots are flooded with asian groups with umbrellas and picnic tables from Sunrise to Sundown. From what I figure, there is a higher chance to find some "quiet spots" with crayfishing? True or false?

I am in the lower mainland, so I figured I try Hatzic slough or maybe stave river?

Anyone have any recommendations for easy access (5 year olds) spots that are not totally overrun that kids can have a fun time? Maybe spend a day there? 4x4ing to the location is totally ok.

Again, never gone crayfishing myself, so any guidance is appreciated.

RICKADY
12-17-2020, 03:33 PM
I've seen some nice one's come out of the lower Vedder from the canal down,
was told the Dewdney had some too.

sparkes3
12-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Try Jones lake
great spot for a trip in the day use area

fourbyfourtoy
12-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Jones lake is full of them. Your best bet for sure. 25 a day no problem. Better if you soak overnight. I heard there was a commercial fishery for them on the Harrison River. Good luck!

Arctic Lake
12-17-2020, 05:03 PM
I think Caddis on HBC is big on crayfish ! I’m sure he will be along ! I have caught them on the Pitt River years ago , they were pretty tasty . I’d like to try going for them again some time !
Arctic Lake

Steeleco
12-17-2020, 05:03 PM
We used to drop a trap under the railway bridge where the Stave flows into the Fraser, sadly that's when i had a boat

Livewire322
12-17-2020, 06:20 PM
We tried crabbing, but without a boat, all the good spots are flooded with asian groups with umbrellas and picnic tables from Sunrise to Sundown. From what I figure, there is a higher chance to find some "quiet spots" with crayfishing? True or false?

Are you bothered by the spots being crowded with people, or by the spots being crowded by Asian looking people?

3than
12-17-2020, 08:39 PM
Like others have already said Jones is loaded with crayfish.

Muliechaser
12-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Are you bothered by the spots being crowded with people, or by the spots being crowded by Asian looking people?

What are you trying to imply?

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-18-2020, 08:15 AM

The former. Now you could say I didn't need to put the "asian" label in my original post, and you are probably right. In my (weak) defense, though, this is simply a fact: If you go to any of the popular shore crabbing spots in the LML, I guarantee you that 9 out of the people packed in that spot will be asian (looking).

That said: You are right, I didn't have to put that in there. And just in case that offended you: I am sorry! Can we move on?

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback: Re Jones lake - I'll check it out... last time I went there (May) it was a total party spot with garbage littered everywhere... Maybe the off season is quieter...

Weatherby Fan
12-18-2020, 08:26 AM
South Alouette River has them, we used to Catch them as kids one at a time by hand, our Dutch neighbours would cook a small pot of them up for us kids....it was more fun catching them though !

RyoTHC
12-18-2020, 08:30 AM

lol making a simple observation isn’t racism so don’t even imply it you simp.
Burnaby... makes perfect sense.

silveragent
12-18-2020, 08:34 AM
I'm Asian .. I wish we would all just get along. But cultural conflict is a reality from just language. I happen to feel as Canadian as many white folks so I can feel both sides. But we are all hunters and fishers and we had better get along because it is a reality.

MB_Boy
12-18-2020, 09:39 AM
If you want to keep the kids active while your trap is soaking when we were young we would sight fish for them. A small bare hook with a chunk of bacon and quite often if you jig it in front of them they will latch on tight. We would have a minnow hand net that we'd scoop them up with as they were being pulled to the surface before they could let go and dart back down.

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Actually that sounds like fun for me as well ;-)

If you want to keep the kids active while your trap is soaking when we were young we would sight fish for them. A small bare hook with a chunk of bacon and quite often if you jig it in front of them they will latch on tight. We would have a minnow hand net that we'd scoop them up with as they were being pulled to the surface before they could let go and dart back down.

wideopenthrottle
12-18-2020, 09:46 AM
it is surprising how they will hold on all the way to the surface...ive pulled them up from around 20 feet or more while bottom fishing for walleye back east...

MB_Boy
12-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Actually that sounds like fun for me as well ;-)

Due to the length of fishing rods I should add we only used the lower section so you could reach the crayfish easily enough with the short handled minnow net.

tim3500
12-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Walking with waders in the lower Vedder with a lacross stick works great the net and scoop of the stick is just about perfect just need low water . Tried in the upper river with traps but no luck

dracb
12-18-2020, 12:45 PM
upper reaches of Salmon River and Nicomekl River where there are sand and gravel bottoms

bottles
12-19-2020, 12:06 PM
Craws are everywhere in the LML. Some of the biggest I've seen were in Deer Lake in Burnaby. I've pulled huge ones from tiny nameless creeks. Chances are the lake/river/creek closest to your house has them.

MichelD
12-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Sounds cool. How do you fish 'em?

What kind of traps?

Bait?

Bpower
12-20-2020, 11:53 PM
Sounds cool. How do you fish 'em?

What kind of traps?

Bait?

Hot dogs, canned cat food or chicken parts are the most popular baits. The fresh water fishing regs say no fin fish for bait.

Bass Pro Shops sell some traps that work good. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-crawfish-trap

You can make them cheap and easy which will be pretty close to these ones from BPS. Dollar Tree store wire mesh trash baskets for the main body, wire mesh pencil holders for the entrances with zap straps holding it all together. Use dark colour or better yet camo paracord for the rope, paracord should sink and won't be readily visible. People will steal them if they get noticed so keep this in mind.

When you are setting your traps look for rocky bottoms that provide cover and hiding places, crayfish like these areas. Not too much current so the bait sent isn't totally swept away. Deep rocky pools in creeks and rivers are good places to try. Drop you trap and let it soak for a few hours or overnight. They are fairly nocturnal but they can also be caught during the day.