PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed Grizzly was not a Candidate for Relocation article

huntingfamily
12-15-2020, 12:49 PM
BC continues to manage wildlife through politics rather than science...

https://vancouversun.com/news/destroyed-grizzly-was-not-a-candidate-for-relocation

Ron.C
12-15-2020, 01:14 PM
" After being captured with the help of Indigenous guardians, Mali was airlifted to the mainland and released on the edge of the Great Bear Rainforest. A tracking collar did not arrive in time to be attached to the bear.
Days later, a resident 30 kilometres from the drop site shot and killed Mali.
The shooting was deemed to be self-defence.
Documents show, the conservation group Grizzly Bear Foundation plays a powerful role in government circles.
A communications officer notes in an email, “FYI just so you’re aware the backstory is the (minister’s office) told the GB Foundation that we would not say anything publicly about this and they are pissed.”
News reports that trumpeted the relocation and the use of pepper spray over deadly force as a change in grizzly management policy caused consternation within the ministries involved. "
“It may prove challenging for the (COS) that this is being portrayed as the new way of doing business,” wrote assistant deputy minister for B.C. Parks and the COS Jim Standen. “Managing public safety under such expectations will make the job much harder for those on the front lines.”
A communications officer noted, “Unfortunate the (Grizzly Bear Foundation) positioning the COS on bear spray as the most effective tool to keep citizens and bears safe in connection with this incident. Hopefully, we will not see (reaction).”

Great leadership?????? The bloody bear did exactly what the CO's were worried about. A problem "known habituated" bear is deemed to be relocated because of political pressure as a FN reconciliation issue.
Anyone making or involved in making these decisions needs to be held accountable when these animals ultimately injure someone. At a minimum, someone should loose their job over this one as this could have went very bad.

Husky7mm
12-15-2020, 01:32 PM
What qualifies first nations guardians to be a the helm of the grizzly bear foundation? Do they have a degree in this? Where is the expertise?
My ethnicity is a dutch background should I now be an authority on windmills and wooden shoes?

weatherby_man
12-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Indigenous guardians????????? WTF....

Mulehahn
12-15-2020, 02:45 PM
My take away from that story is the province is very lucky that the person that "Mali" charged had a gun and knew how to use it. Imagine if it had been a group of unarmed hikers, or a family?! The province, and the Grizzly Bear Foundation would if of been directly culpable in their deaths.

This is not a step forward. They are just saying that a a bears life is worth more than a humans. That is the inevitable outcome. A human will be killed to save a bear.

m5wilson
12-15-2020, 06:29 PM
"Despite the “tragic” outcome, Grizzly Bear Foundation executive director Nicholas Scapillati sees Mali’s relocation as an important step forward for First Nations, who have taken the lead on wildlife management in their territories."

Maybe they should relocate them to the Tahltan Territory so that Nation can pay its members $1000 to kill it?

weatherbyjunkie
12-15-2020, 07:55 PM
All this time and energy to relocate a problem bear who wasn’t a candidate for relocation, seems legit. And relocating problem bears as a reconciliation issue..... WTF lol what does euthanizing a problem bear have to do with reconciliation. This is all so absurd it’s laughable

Liptugger
12-15-2020, 09:13 PM
"Despite the “tragic” outcome, Grizzly Bear Foundation executive director Nicholas Scapillati sees Mali’s relocation as an important step forward for First Nations, who have taken the lead on wildlife management in their territories."

Maybe they should relocate them to the Tahltan Territory so that Nation can pay its members $1000 to kill it?

Then the Tahltan nation could subcontract the killing to a willing american who would pay them $10,000.

Redthies
12-15-2020, 09:18 PM
What qualifies first nations guardians to be a the helm of the grizzly bear foundation? Do they have a degree in this? Where is the expertise?
My ethnicity is a dutch background should I now be an authority on windmills and wooden shoes?

No, but if I need info on shmokes and a pancake, you’re my guy!

wiggy
12-15-2020, 09:29 PM
Relocating a problem bear within 30 k of anyone was idiotic to begin with.
We all know or should know how dangerous a griz can be. If they insist on relocation where is the most remote area In BC it could be done. Money doesn’t seem to matter
im pretty sure one of these stories got swept under the rug when the two dudes got killed up Albert creek Terrible incident

IronNoggin
12-16-2020, 12:26 PM
Coastal B.C. First Nations seek bigger role in grizzly bear managementhttps://vancouversun.com/news/coastal-b-c-first-nations-seek-bigger-role-in-grizzly-bear-management

Same group that pressured the province into relocating an aggressive and habituated bear (article above). In doing so they clearly indicated that have zero understanding of just how wildlife management works. Can't see this as anything "good" when they are largely comprised of anti-hunting nature tour (bear watching) groups.

Sadly, these aspirations fit with both Horgan's and Trudeau's aspirations re UNDRIP (and to a large extent with Horgan's "management by emotion over science") and so will most likely not only be adopted, but strongly promoted by the same.

Never thought I'd live long enough to witness such a precipitous downward spiral in all forms of resource "management"...

Nog

VLD43
12-16-2020, 12:33 PM
They seek a bigger role in Grizzly Bear / Wildlife Management. A good start would be to police their own and stop all the poaching/sustenance hunting. This is all about forcing their narrative vs reality. Under their management wildlife in this province will suffer greatly. A very concerning development.