PDA

View Full Version : Knife Sharpening

ROY-alty33
10-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I have an older (15 years) BUCK knife that I can get a good edge on...but...it seems that the moment it touches animal hair it might as well be a butter knife. I have tried several different angles and all give mostly the same result. Any ideas on how to keep the edge on to get through a whole deer.
Would a professional sharpening do any good, the blade isn't nicked and no steel appears to be folded over?
Also I bought a gerber skinner/gut hook combo (Ulu type) should it be sharpenned at 20-30 degrees like a normal knife

Mulies
10-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I use a gatco sharpener. It clamps onto the blade and you can sharpen a hunting knife quite well with it. The angle I use is 19 d. If you are having trouble keeping an edge it could be the grade of steel or maybe you need to get it hollow ground.
If you know someone that makes knifes they can likely help.

308BAR
10-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Spyderco Sharpmaker has many many good reviews. I've been looking for one on the net. The retail price is ridiculous in BC stores. It can sharpen serrated blades as well.

Steeleco
10-26-2007, 08:19 AM
I use a Lansky sharpener. Like the Gatco it will hold the stones at a variety of angles. That said, my old Buck Vanguard likes 25* while the new knife I have likes 30* Both are capable of doing a whole animal but only IF you very careful. It only takes a few touches of hair to start the edge to dull. Having more than one knife is a good idea as well as one of these gizmo's!!

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LSTCS.php

Bow Walker
10-26-2007, 08:28 AM
I think Mulies hit on the right idea. If your Buck knife is that old chances are good that it has a high carbon content in the blade. That means that it will take a good edge, but that it has trouble holding it - too soft because of the carbon content.

KodiakHntr
10-26-2007, 09:05 AM
30 degrees is what I use mostly. And not getting through a whole deer? Time for a new knife.
I have a new "goto" blade, custom made jobbie, that is phenominal. Uses the same steel as the knives of alaska, D42 tool steel, used it to gut and skin an elk, bone said elk, and gut and skin a moose so far, with only one light touch up.

dime
10-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I use a Lansky sharpener. Like the Gatco it will hold the stones at a variety of angles. That said, my old Buck Vanguard likes 25* while the new knife I have likes 30* Both are capable of doing a whole animal but only IF you very careful. It only takes a few touches of hair to start the edge to dull. Having more than one knife is a good idea as well as one of these gizmo's!!

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LSTCS.php

Ditto on the Lansky system. My buddy has the gatco and after he tried my diamond sharpener he wants to buy the lansky as well.

BowSitter
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
If you at one time heated the knife up say on a grinder of some sort then maybe you have lost the temper in the blade. It won't stay sharp.

.308win
10-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a new(3yrs) Buck folding knife, I also use a Lansky sharping kit @ 30*. Holds an edge really good, cleaned and skin 2 deer and a bear before resharping just 2 days ago! Actually was still pretty sharp, just wanted to touch it up. Buy far the best knife i've ever had! Just my .02!!

perry

ROY-alty33
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, I took the advice on the board and threw my old pull thru sharpener in the junk drawer. I bought a knock off of the Lansky sharpener, Diamond Co. or something like that. Diamond stones x3, blade holder but only 2 angles to choose from. 20 &25. I took about 2 hours this afternoon and deliberatly and slowly ran all 3 stones over 3 of my knives and it seems to work quite well. The buck and other knife got 25* while the skinner got a razor sharp 20*. I think if I use the Buck to do the dirty work and then just use the razor edge to help skin I should do alright. We'll see if Iever get this monkey of my BACK.
(Being skunked sux)

Gunner
11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I use the Edge-Pro Apex,and touch up with a Sharpmaker or the Edge-Pro ceramic steel.It sharpens D-2 "scary" sharp

wolverine
11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I have an older buck knife that I had that problem with as well. I now use two sharpeners. A Lansky, which I use to maintain the 20 degree bevel and once I have run it through the finest stone in that kit I have a dual ceramic stick sharpener that I give it ten passes on. It comes out shaving sharpe but I also don't use just one knife for skinning/dressing. I have one that I use just for skinning, I use the Buck for dressing, and I have an old swedish steel Norco that I use for removing scent glands etc. I don't think there is a knife out there that will make it through dressing and skinning without needing sharpening. There aint nothing like deer hair to take an edge of a good knife.

Dayto
11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
You guys might laugh , but nothing works slicker in the field then a ACU-Sharp 2 Passes of that and your back to gutting/Skinning razor sharp

Bullmoose
11-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I've had two buck knives for about 20 years and they both have the same problem, sharpen to a real good edge, but as soon as you say moose they won't cut butter. Not a good knife