PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed...

The Hermit
12-14-2020, 05:44 PM
I have ordered a custom little Chek-Mate bow for my 4 year old grandson. Now my daughter says she doesn't want me to give it to him this year as in her opinion he is not developmentally ready to understand life and death and doesn't want him to be saying things like "I killed that deer or elk" because it would be "shocking" to others. CRAP I took her hunting as a little kid, she enjoys venison and elk and moose etc... Sigh, where did I go wrong? I'm really really bummed out and actually a little mad at her... the little guy is pumped and has been asking me to take him hunting for over a year! I also stipulated that the bow would have to stay at my house and only used under direct supervision for target practice.

When did you guys/gals introduce your kids to archery?

RugDoctor
12-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear man.....must be very frustrating. Maybe play the archery, target, and 3D aspect more than the hunting aspect for a while. He’ll get good at the bow when she’s ready to allow him to use it to kill a deer....or he makes up his own mind. Had my little guy hunting with me since he was in a car seat. Bought him his first very own rifle when he was 12, and we haven’t slowed down for one second. Keep on it Hermit....it’s a worthy fight.

Elkaddict
12-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Lot's of folks enjoy archery without using it to hunt, heck it's an Olympic sport (at least used to be). Could you try that angle? There are lots of attributes to be taught through the use of archery that have nothing to do with hunting or harvesting.

7mmWSM
12-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Mine were shooting at about 4 years old. It's worth pointing out that most kids by that age are playing pretend with guns of some sort no matter what the parents think. Archery is a good way to harness that in a healthy way that focuses on skill development and accuracy without needing to be about killing (until they can fully understand that point).

weatherbyjunkie
12-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Lot's of folks enjoy archery without using it to hunt, heck it's an Olympic sport (at least used to be). Could you try that angle? There are lots of attributes to be taught through the use of archery that have nothing to do with hunting or harvesting.

THIS. Teaching archery doesn’t have to be associated with harvesting an animal.

damn yuppies amd their feelings :mad:

bighornbob
12-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Tell her he is in training for the olympics. Learning to shoot a bow and archery has nothing to do with hunting. He will be shooting targets for years before he thinks about aiming at a animal.

BHB

srthomas75
12-14-2020, 06:11 PM
what do little kids say nowadays when they are playing toy guns?? I tagged you?? [ I don't think so] pretty sure it's I killed you now act dead while I go shoot the others. It almost sounds like your daughter might be embarrassed that she associates with someone who enjoys hunting.

todbartell
12-14-2020, 06:15 PM
Haven't started archery with my son (6) , maybe this spring. He gets frustrated easily, quick temper like his mama haha

https://i.imgur.com/odnEhp2.jpg

horshur
12-14-2020, 06:45 PM
He is 4...think your probably rushing things.lol

Ron.C
12-14-2020, 06:47 PM
Understand your frustration Hermit. Give it a bit of time Im sure she'll come around.

dougan
12-14-2020, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear that . My five year old takes every opportunity to tell his class over video chat about Dad shooting bucks in the end of the nose. Now I think it’s awesome however some wouldn’t think so . Everyone is entitled to there opinions and it my opinion that there opinions don’t matter. Maybe go at it on the angle of showing the kid where there food comes from . It definitely gives perspective.

Onesock
12-14-2020, 07:06 PM
My kids wer 4 or 5 grandkids the same.

Rackmastr
12-14-2020, 07:15 PM
My girls are 11 and 8. The oldest has shot the past 3 years and the youngest just shot the past 2 summers. Both enjoy tinkering away at it but aren't die hard by any means, but they enjoy flinging arrows at the very least.

I dont treat it as anything related to hunting. Its archery plain and simple for them and we dont even talk about hunting when we shoot. Just an enjoyable sport that requires some mental concentration and physical practice.

adriaticum
12-14-2020, 07:55 PM
It is what it is. You have to trust your daughter on that.
It is true that kids develop at different rate.

HarryToolips
12-14-2020, 08:06 PM
He is 4...think your probably rushing things.lol

Lol na.....I started taking my son hunting at 4 yrs old.. he got to witness his first kill, a grouse at 5.. I haven't had him witness any big game harvested yet at 8 years old now but I don't want to rush him into that yet...he knows where his meat comes from, he knows that if you eat meat something has to die..he knows that it's not ok to have any animal suffer, and the enjoyment of hunting is in the pursuit not the kill.. he helped me butchering a buck this year by helping me grind the meat...and he's a normal boy with lots of friends, just have present hunting as a way of life and to of utmost importance respect all the animals..

The Hermit
12-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Yep thanks for the support. I have tried all those approaches. I'm sure she will be okay with it in a year or two. She isn't against hunting, mostly just doesn't want him to be talking about killing and shooting animals which he already does, without my help or encouragement btw. He goes to forest pre-school, loves watching videos of animals, and learning all the calls and associating them with various animals.

Kirk - I fondly remember going to a 3-D shoot with your family and watching your tiny grand daughter shooting and thought "How cool it that?". I'll just have to wait a bit I guess, but I'm definitely putting a lump of coal in her stocking!!

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Wow that chainsaw looks legit... I want one of those!!!!!

Haven't started archery with my son (6) , maybe this spring. He gets frustrated easily, quick temper like his mama haha

https://i.imgur.com/odnEhp2.jpg

Citori54
12-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Hermit, if she doesn't come around in a few years you could always have a discussion around her inheritance:shock:

Tuffcity
12-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Hermit, if she doesn't come around in a few years you could always have a discussion around her inheritance:shock:

Even better, tell her you are downsizing and will be moving in with them so she can look after you in your "advanced age" :-o

12-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Sorry about that Bill,
My kid is 7 we are out all the time. My wife hunts with us too. I cant address the situation you are in. But obviously you have talked about it in depth. You are a smart guy, if you havent changed her mind now. Just keep at it bit by bit. Pressure right now with covid will help no one.

brian
12-15-2020, 09:40 AM
You can disagree with her, I can disagree with her, every member of this forum can disagree with her, but it doesn’t matter. She is his mother and she is raising him the best she can. I mean I strongly disagree with her and disagree that young children should be sheltered from large concepts like life and death. I know my own kids had an understanding of death at a very young age. But then again I don’t have to put him to bed at night.

J_T
12-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Don't buy a small bow for William. Buy one for YOU. For your home. And if it happens to be laying out and visible when William comes over, then perhaps he shows an interest in target shooting. No 3D animals if it bothers your daughter. I would use a cube, or better yet, I used a hot tub lid. And put balloons on it for the fun. As you know, our boys started young. Like training a dog, in our youth, is the best time to create good habits. Shooting habits that is.

Stay with it. Ultimately youth is short, and we get to make our own decisions.

12-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Hey Bartell,,,,
your kid is pretty cute! lol love it

Rieber
12-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Timing is perfect to correct your daughter's attitude. Buy the grandson a snare drum and cymbals for Christmas. Trust me, by Spring time she will be begging you to turn those into archery targets.

Weatherby Fan
12-15-2020, 04:58 PM
Well it may be disappointing or upsetting for you Bill reality is it’s her child and you have to respect her wishes, rightly or wrongly.

now if my Dad wanted to take the kids shooting, hunting or camping cause at that age that’s all it is is camping I would be all over it as my brother and I had our four kids out many times while still in diapers,

I wouldn’t lose to much sleep over it Bill and have some patience as your grandson will be all over it in no time.
WF

Onesock
12-16-2020, 07:29 AM
She turned 15 this past summer and started her first job a month ago. She called me last week and wanted to buy a new longbow out of her first paycheck. How awesome is that!!!

The Hermit
12-16-2020, 11:17 AM
She turned 15 this past summer and started her first job a month ago. She called me last week and wanted to buy a new longbow out of her first paycheck. How awesome is that!!!

Holy crap fifteen!! Its not so awesome to be getting this old! Then again way better than the alternative! Merry Christmas!

The Hermit
12-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Timing is perfect to correct your daughter's attitude. Buy the grandson a snare drum and cymbals for Christmas. Trust me, by Spring time she will be begging you to turn those into archery targets.

LOL I have actually considered doing just that! LOL Just bought him a nice pair of small frame Hunting Binoculars!! I like J_T's suggestion of just having it laying around at my house... Ha!

Weatherby Fan
12-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Now that made me laugh !

The Hermit
12-18-2020, 03:41 PM
Got the bow today... its even nicer than I was hoping. Yew limbs with curly maple riser and tips! Fine craftsmanship by Marc Moriez of Chek-Mate Bows... thanks buddy.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_1513_copy.jpeg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_1514_copy.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_1516_copy.JPG

Ron.C
12-18-2020, 04:14 PM
Beautiful bow.

Be patient. Im sure it wont be long before young William is shooting his bow alondside his grand dad.

Wonderful gift!!!!

Chewie
12-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Awesome gift!
I’m sure he will be shooting with Grandpa in no time.

Ajsawden
12-18-2020, 06:32 PM
I grew uo with hunting and with farming. When our family dog died when i was 4 i wondered why werent going to eat him. I knew where food came from and i knew what death meant in that regards (probably best my grandparents were all alive till i was a teenager).

dino
12-18-2020, 08:19 PM
Who is the parent here? You do what you want. If she doesnt like it to bad. My youngest one was hunting moles with his bow in the front yard at 4. I would post a pic of it if it wasnt so effing difficult.

Jagermeister
12-18-2020, 11:14 PM
Hey T/B, where do you stand when your son is at river's edge, upstream or down stream of him?

Ride Red
12-19-2020, 06:46 AM
Don't buy a small bow for William. Buy one for YOU. For your home. And if it happens to be laying out and visible when William comes over, then perhaps he shows an interest in target shooting. No 3D animals if it bothers your daughter. I would use a cube, or better yet, I used a hot tub lid. And put balloons on it for the fun. As you know, our boys started young. Like training a dog, in our youth, is the best time to create good habits. Shooting habits that is.

Stay with it. Ultimately youth is short, and we get to make our own decisions.

^^^^^^I agree 100%. We all know your intentions are genuine cause you love your grandson and want to pass on your life skills. Leave the bow itself out in plain sight and I’m sure your grandson will gravitate toward it when visiting. Good luck and enjoy just being a grandpa.

Rieber
12-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Beauty of a little box. Tell your daughter it's for fishing.No - just tell her it's for paper hole-punching. By the time the kid is ready to hunt in the fall, he'll have a good respect for the bow.

Just like the kids that get trained in the Martial Arts - they don't go bragging and kicking the crap out of the other kids - they respect the power of the knowledge and know how and when to use that power of their knowledge.

Heck, you've been around for a long time - think of something creative.

Hey - take the sting off and tape the bow to a goalie stick - then wrap it up for the Christmas tree. As you bring the gift into the house, ask your pick up the wrapped goalie stick - show it to your daughter an ask her if this will be okay. Of course something obviously wrapped like a goalie stick will be okay. After all, World Juniors will be on.

tigrr
12-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Smart Daughter.

islandarcher
12-24-2020, 12:45 PM
I bought Desmond his first bow at 3. he shoots sporadically. I don't force it. He likes stump shooting more than flinging at targets, but then, so do I. He has outgrown that bow though and may be handing it down to his 3 year old sister in the spring. I will have to track him down a new one. Did you get the checkmate through Boorman or contact Marc?

LeverActionJunkie
12-24-2020, 03:57 PM
My boys bought themselves bows from Canadian tire with bottle money and Canadian tire money they saved up. They were 5&7 at the time. Nothing as nice as the beauty you’ve got there mind you. But they both absolutely love shooting bows still. They pack them on our hunts and shoot pine cones and mushrooms etc. Santa may be bringing them Diamond archery Prisms for the big day tomorrow. I hope they stay so engaged with archery as it has really helped their focus and they can pick the bows up and shoot in the yard whenever they feel like it. We don’t have to make a big trip out of it like going to the gun range.

I think if that bow happens to be laying around when your grandson is over then things will just occur naturally ;)

The Hermit
12-25-2020, 03:28 PM
I bought Desmond his first bow at 3. he shoots sporadically. I don't force it. He likes stump shooting more than flinging at targets, but then, so do I. He has outgrown that bow though and may be handing it down to his 3 year old sister in the spring. I will have to track him down a new one. Did you get the checkmate through Boorman or contact Marc?

Directly from Marc... his just finished building a few so contact him promptly as they sell REALLY fast so you would otherwise have to wait a few months. Cheers

caddisguy
12-25-2020, 03:57 PM
It sounds like the worry of what other people think (perhaps even more so anout her) is the main concern. I am not sure what a "year or two" would do to change that. Perhaps he articulates himself on the subject of hunting. I'm not sure.

If worrying about what other people think (and perhaps in turn what others think of her) is the root of the concern, that should be the focus of discussion to see if perhaps it can be alleviated.

She might be concerned for example one day at school he blurts out "I killed an animal. There was so much blood! Then I touched it's eyeball. It felt cool! I like hunting and killing", then kids go tell their parents, teachers, tell teachers, word spreads, social media warriors email her work place, etc (far fetched scenario, but example of her possible fears) If there is anything that can mitigate such potential, perhaps that would aleviate her fears.

Edzzed
12-26-2020, 07:25 AM
My grandkid is 11. I would not trust him with a slingshot. Nor a bow and arrow, and especially not a firearm. He is as dumb as they come. When she says not developed or mature enough, She would know the kid better than you. You want a kid, come get him. We want them to move out.....

srthomas75
12-27-2020, 01:51 AM
My grandkid is 11. I would not trust him with a slingshot. Nor a bow and arrow, and especially not a firearm. He is as dumb as they come. When she says not developed or mature enough, She would know the kid better than you. You want a kid, come get him. We want them to move out.....

do you live with your grandkids? on a full time basis?

Edzzed
12-27-2020, 05:50 PM
do you live with your grandkids? on a full time basis?Yes, They live with us. She is also on welfare. I told her about 4 years ago when she was 30 that you would be well advised to get your shit together cause the day I retire, I will not care about your living situation. I will care about mine and that of your mom. And that day is in less than 4 months. I have not yet told her I will be retiring. My wife knows and I asked her not to tell her. I suggested we both tell her at the same time. She will get a 60 day move out order as we will sell our house. I have told my wife, I want her gone 30 days before we call a realtor so we can run around and do what we have to do.

The Hermit
12-27-2020, 06:13 PM

She might be concerned for example one day at school he blurts out "I killed an animal. There was so much blood! Then I touched it's eyeball. It felt cool! I like hunting and killing", then kids go tell their parents, teachers, tell teachers, word spreads, social media warriors email her work place, etc (far fetched scenario, but example of her possible fears)...

Yep that is about it right there. Thing is he is a really smart and verbal kid and I think simply explaining this concern to him would be sufficient. We were are the Sidney Marine Experience Centre (or what ever its called) and he called me over to ask about a model depicting whale hunting and wanted to know why people killed whales, so I told him matter of factly and his response was perfectly calm and inquisitive. "oh so for whale meat and oil?" "How does a harpoon work and didn't the ships sink?".

Mummy is too sensitive about people judging him/me/her? Who knowsa... it isn't up for discussion anymore. I have said my piece and told her it is obviously her call and its okay with me... she did get a piece of coal in her stocking though! LOL

Rieber
01-09-2021, 09:46 AM
https://i.imgur.com/mFhrdYx.jpg

I'm guessing it didn't go over well.

Noah68
01-25-2021, 04:35 PM
I would tell her not to worry about the hunting/harvesting aspect too much - by the time he’s old enough to get out, between the bureaucracy, First Nations and wolves, there won’t be anything left to shoot at anyway.

Spy
01-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Just show him the bow every time he comes over and tell him one day when your mom says it’s OK I will let you shoot it ;-) Won’t take long and he will be hammering the dear target in your garden.. Spring is around the corner bring him along to the next 3D Shoot and his parents, sure you bought his dad a bow aswell;-)

The Hermit
01-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Just show him the bow every time he comes over and tell him one day when your mom says it’s OK I will let you shoot it ;-) Won’t take long and he will be hammering the dear target in your garden.. Spring is around the corner bring him along to the next 3D Shoot and his parents, sure you bought his dad a bow aswell;-)

I did indeed get his dad a complete outfit... think he might have shot it twice. He works his ass off and with two kids I know its hard to make the time but yes perhaps a 3D this year would work... good idea.

wideopenthrottle
01-29-2021, 01:11 PM
now that is a subtle way to move things along....after you show him the bow and remind him it will be his "as soon as mom approves" he will be on her...not sure if she would be the type to say "you ask one more time and the answer will be never" or is she the type that would relent after being asked 1000 times...heheheh

The Hermit
01-30-2021, 10:49 AM
now that is a subtle way to move things along....after you show him the bow and remind him it will be his "as soon as mom approves" he will be on her...not sure if she would be the type to say "you ask one more time and the answer will be never" or is she the type that would relent after being asked 1000 times...heheheh

I'd be afraid that her reaction would be to hit ME with the bow! LOL One of the best ideas though was a drum set that transforms into targets!!

wideopenthrottle
01-30-2021, 12:55 PM
better be cautious on this one then....heheheh..

Riverbc
04-07-2023, 08:07 PM
My grandson started shooting 3D archery at age 3, with a compound bow. Ten years later, he is heading to the Chad Davis shoot in Abbotsford tomorrow with me. Next weekend we are heading to the Kamloops 3D shoot. Start ‘em young!

guntech
04-08-2023, 03:41 PM
I suggest you find out which eye is dominant... hopefully his right eye...