PDA

View Full Version : Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Ramshot
12-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Hearing some talk of a hunter shot west of Spences Bridge yesterday? Heard police and ambulance and police helicopter beside highway and a friend hunting in that area was talking to police officer who confirmed a hunter was shot. Not good to hear on the last day of deer season.

emerson
12-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Never good to hear.

wideopenthrottle
12-11-2020, 11:06 AM
any info?...was it by accidental self injury or another hunter or another random shooting in the area like the guy on the bike and 1 other IIRC...

RyoTHC
12-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Accidental self inflicted is the word from the locals.
*apparently* leaned over a loaded gun and it went off.

ratherbefishin
12-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Depending on the circumstances,it may not be reported in the media,but tragic anyway

dougan
12-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Dang . Hate to hear this.

mauser
12-11-2020, 12:22 PM
My brother is part of the Merritt search and rescue and got a call to go but couldn't, it was apparently accidental.

ratherbefishin
12-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Shot in the guts..Horrible way to go

HarryToolips
12-11-2020, 01:40 PM
That's horrible news.....

RICKADY
12-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Not good news, always have to be so careful when handling our firearms.

wideopenthrottle
12-11-2020, 02:38 PM
are you saying he died?

Shot in the guts..Horrible way to go

whitlers
12-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Hopefully he makes it. That is terrible. Heavy reminder to mind muzzle direction and never pipe one until you need it.

sakohunter
12-11-2020, 02:45 PM
Hopefully he makes it. That is terrible. Heavy reminder to mind muzzle direction and never pipe one until you need it.
X2 on muzzle direction and keeping it unloaded until you need to. Very sad to hear of this.

RyoTHC
12-11-2020, 02:57 PM
are you saying he died?

that’s the word locally, I’d be elated if it’s incorrect though!

weatherby_man
12-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Wow,,,thats a terrible thing...

lakelander
12-11-2020, 04:21 PM
Deadly mistake..very sad to hear.

MichelD
12-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Buddy gut shot a buck in the early season so we were dragging it to a creek beside the road to wash out when "BANG!" a rifle went by his buddy's truck. The buddy's girlfriend, a new hunter, was dicking with her rifle and it went off. I don't know if it was still loaded from earlier or if she had loaded it right then for some reason. Fortunately she had had the common sense to have it pointed in the air. Could have turned out real bad if she'd had it pointed elsewhere.

Gateholio
12-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Terrible to hear.

REMINGTON JIM
12-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Terrible News and Very Sad if he's Dead ! :icon_frow RJ

338win mag
12-11-2020, 06:56 PM
Very sad to get hurt or worse, doing something you love.

Weatherby Fan
12-11-2020, 07:06 PM
Oh this is terrible news, here's hoping all is well for our fellow hunter.

264mag
12-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Prayers to him and his family.

jimzuk
12-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Wow that’s awful.you have to be so careful with a loaded firearm

ACB
12-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Terrible news, but it generally takes a situation like this to remind us to treat every firearm as loaded regardless whether you know it is or not, firearm safety 101. Let's hope there's a positive result from this.

Hunterguy
12-12-2020, 11:49 AM
It’s like how many guys out there check their safety’s. it’s something mechanical and can easily fail. You walk around with a shell in and put the safety on but does it work. Just a heads up stay safe.

tomcat
12-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Safeties are not infallible. Not having a round in the chamber is infallible and completely safe from accidental firing.

Beachcomber
12-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Terrible news. Hope that he is going to be ok.

I have been thinking more about gun safety this year than any other as I got my son his first "real" gun, a 12 ga., and have been shooting with him every weekend this season. He is conscientious and careful but I am always watching, reminding and pointing things out. Safety is first every time and I am more aware of that with him there than I have been since my dad first taught me.

Firstblood
12-12-2020, 06:47 PM
Terrible news. I test my safety when I load every gun, load it, safety on, pull the trigger, they ban break, become old, many things can happen.

Norwestalta
12-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Safety's should be thrown in the bush. I would not and will not trust a firearm safety. It takes a fraction of a second to put one in the pipe when needed. Probably not much longer to take the safety off.
I best wishes to the hunter and his family.

Onesock
12-12-2020, 07:34 PM
Why does anyone need a safrty. Only load it when it will be shot!!!

tomcat
12-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Why does anyone need a safrty. Only load it when it will be shot!!! Yes, when you see your opportunity , if you don't have time to load your chamber you don't have time to make a decent shot IMO.

IslandWanderer
12-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Yes, when you see your opportunity , if you don't have time to load your chamber you don't have time to make a decent shot IMO.

That doesn't make much sense imo.

Firstblood
12-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Bird hunting, still hunting up close and personal, moving to get a better shot. There are lots of times and reasons to have your gun loaded while hunting so dont act like you know better, a safety is one thing but treating every gun as if it is loaded is rule number one even then accidents do happen.

IslandWanderer
12-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Bird hunting, still hunting up close and personal, moving to get a better shot. There are lots of times and reasons to have your gun loaded while hunting so dont act like you know better, a safety is one thing but treating every gun as if it is loaded is rule number one even then accidents do happen.

Agreed, and I think that muzzle control and assuming every gun is loaded helps to increase safety.

375shooter
12-12-2020, 09:18 PM
I think that actual safety failure is a pretty rare occurrence on most makes of guns. If it does happen, it's most likely a cause of some sort of dirt built up in the trigger mechanism preventing the safety from fully engaging to the ON position.

As long as the safety is kept clean by proper maintenance, I believe human error to be more of a factor in rendering a gun unsafe (ready to fire). There are two ways this can happen.

The first is when a safety is switched to the the ON position, but some time later is then inadvertently switched to the OFF without the user realizing it. The second is when the user THINKS they have put the safety ON, but have actually in fact not done so. It might be hard to image this could happen, but it does, and happens more often than many people realize.

Another potential problem (not a fault of the safety though) is if someone without sufficient knowledge, attempts to adjust the trigger and does so improperly. If this happens, depending on how the adjustment was made, the simple act of switching the safety from the ON position to OFF position, could make the gun fire. Another possible result of an improperly adjusted trigger is the potential to fire if the gun is jarred hard enough, or if a round is chamber from the magazine rapidly enough.

Remember these are only potential problems and only if the trigger adjustment is changed improperly from the factory setting. If not changed, there is no need to be concerned. As a side note, if someone is not comfortable with adjusting a trigger themselves, it's a good idea to either leave it alone, or get assistance from someone who is.

Personally I rarely rely on a safety. The only time I will, is if I'm trailing an animal that has already been shot. The rest of the time, while I hunt, the chamber is either empty, or there is one in the chamber but the striker is uncocked. Even then I check periodically to confirm the rifle is indeed uncocked, while always maintaining safe control of the muzzle.

It's definitely saddening to hear whenever a hunter has been shot, for whatever reason. My heart goes out to his family!

Fella
12-12-2020, 09:31 PM
None of us know what happened, I think the best thing to do now is to send up prayer/good vibes/positive thoughts to the victim and his/her family.

fuzzybiscuit
12-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Personally I rarely rely on a safety. The only time I will, is if I'm trailing an animal that has already been shot. The rest of the time, while I hunt, the chamber is either empty or there is one in the chamber but the striker is uncocked. Even then I check periodically to confirm the rifle is indeed uncocked, while always maintaining safe control of the muzzle.

I’d agree to never trust a safety and to always practice good muzzle control. But safe muzzle control is the key because un-cocking a firearm on a live round is about as dangerous as it gets. When un-cocked, the firing pin is resting against the primer. Accidentally drop that firearm and there is a very good chance it will go off when it is left in the un-cocked state. Who knows where a dropped firearm could end up pointing so leaving it un-cocked is not a safe practice and I’d never hunt with someone who did it.

Un-cocking a rifle on an empty chamber is another thing all together but there would also be no point in doing so...

375shooter
12-12-2020, 10:12 PM
I know it SOUNDS pretty scary to many, but really it's not very dangerous at all. Statistically it's very safe. I believe there has only been something like 3 instances of it actually happening and those may have been with guns other than bolt actions. It would take more than dropping it onto the ground while walking along hunting, to make it discharge.

Dropping it from the height of a tree stand might do it, though. In this case be extra careful, or keep the chamber empty. The noise, and the time it takes to chamber a round could result in lost opportunities though.

I’d agree to never trust a safety and to always practice good muzzle control. But safe muzzle control is the key because un-cocking a firearm on a live round is about as dangerous as it gets. When un-cocked, the firing pin is resting against the primer. Accidentally drop that firearm and there is a very good chance it will go off when it is left in the un-cocked state. Who knows where a dropped firearm could end up pointing so leaving it un-cocked is not a safe practice and I’d never hunt with someone who did it.

Un-cocking a rifle on an empty chamber is another thing all together but there would also be no point in doing so...

WetLeopard
12-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Really sad to hear. As a newer hunter just starting to feel more "comfortable" with my firearms, it's unfortunately a good reminder you can't get lazy with gun safety.
Even in limited experience though I have to agree with what someone said above. I do a lot of still hunting, and it really just isn't feasible not to have a round chambered. In my limited experience, I think there would be a significant risk of a poor/unethical shot if forced to hurry through chambering a round while trying to get on target.
Muzzle control is everything, a safety is there as a backup but of course never to be relied on.

MOOSE MILK
12-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Carrying an unloaded rifle in griz country is like carrying a club.

mpotzold
12-12-2020, 11:07 PM
Carrying an unloaded rifle in griz country is like carrying a club.

The main reason I got 45/70 Defenders for both Eve & I. When I see fresh grizz signs the gun is chambered with a 540 gr when alone & ready to use almost immediately.
If hunting with a partner the chamber is empty in general.

Re: the story. Couldn't find any info on the shooting so far!

MichelD
12-12-2020, 11:24 PM
Any discussion on firearm safety is good.

But I question the validity of the first post.

There is no evidence such an incident occurred.

Gateholio
12-13-2020, 12:13 AM
There are many firearm safety rules, but the most important is muzzle control.

Most times it's perfectly safe to have a loaded chamber and safety on. But If you are in a situation where your muzzle cannot be controlled, the firearm needs to be unloaded.

You can be half asleep, loaded chamber, safety off and finger on the trigger but as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction nobody is going to get killed. Obviously don't do these things but hopefully you get the point.

Drillbit
12-13-2020, 01:35 AM
^
As with any tool, if you make 2 mistakes at the same time, it can/most likely will result in an accident. (Gun, table-saw, etc)

Police carry loaded firearms on them everyday. Lots of them. Never hear of any incidents regarding that.
Get that into their hands and now they have to make 2 mistakes at the same time to hear about it (finger on the trigger and muzzle direction)

Hunting is no different. I'm sure lots of guys get away from making one mistake, but 2 is going to catch up with you fast.

Hopefully the hunter is ok, and we can all learn from what happened.

hawk-i
12-13-2020, 08:03 AM
I proof my safety safe each and every time before I load the rifle...If I'm out hunting in the bush, the rifle is loaded and on safety.

Never had an accidental discharge where the rifle was at fault (even with my 700's) :)

Walking Buffalo
12-13-2020, 08:13 AM

Most times it's perfectly safe to have a loaded chamber and safety on. But If you are in a situation where your muzzle cannot be controlled, the firearm needs to be unloaded.

You can be half asleep, loaded chamber, safety off and finger on the trigger but as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction nobody is going to get killed. Obviously don't do these things but hopefully you get the point.

Remember people, Gun safety doesn't end when the animal is down.

So many pictures of people and dead animals with firearms laying on the critter, pointing towards the hunter.
This is not only terrible personal gun handling, it is terrible promotion that others seem to copy.

Right Gate? :)

338win mag
12-13-2020, 08:21 AM
Why all the flap over the safety? Did I miss something? Some are eluding to the safety as the issue.

338win mag
12-13-2020, 08:24 AM
I have seen 3 accidental discharges, one of them was me while holding and shooting a 38 at the range, cocked it and the frigging thing went off in my hands, no thank you.

bearvalley
12-13-2020, 08:35 AM

Best bet is to not have one in the chamber until you need it don’t you thinks Gates....that way all parties know the guns not going to go off.
Thats been my policy for years with guided clients and in cases were they don’t want to pay attention the hunt can come to an end quick.
Many years ago a client I was guiding was told twice not to be packing an un-safetied rifle.
The third time there was no talking.
He passed me his gun to go in an floatplane, the safety was off, I cracked the bolt to see a shell under the hammer....the rifle went in the lake and the hunt terminated right there.
Looked damn funny watching him retrieve his rifle in waist deep water.

hunter1947
12-13-2020, 08:55 AM
It’s like how many guys out there check their safety’s. it’s something mechanical and can easily fail. You walk around with a shell in and put the safety on but does it work. Just a heads up stay safe.

So True Hunterguy Always when with others never put one into the action only in the clip never trust the safety.

huntcoop
12-13-2020, 09:03 AM
Does anyone ACTUALLY know what happened? Perhaps it wasn’t hunter safety after all and suicide?

hunter1947
12-13-2020, 09:11 AM
This bad news of this hunter being shot brings back bad memories to me I had a good friend die in my arms shot from another hunter when I was 19 years old.
There are so many rules when friends come into my hunting camp ,,so sorry for this man that got shot and feel bad for the person that shot him if he survived
this ordeal I wish him a full recovery and if he died my condolence goes out to his family and friends, such sad news to hear of ..:cry::cry:

#1 when your in my camp with your rifles you have to have the bolt open at all times.
#2 never have a bullet in the chamber when your hunting with someone else..
#3never but never have that mussel pointing at anything else except shooting at your animal.
#4Always have your bolt open when in the truck or the leaver action..

#5 If you have a removable clip when in your truck or car have it out of the rifle.
#6 Never scope anyone with your rifle scope use your spotter or binoculars to look at
objects
#7Never carry a loaded rifle on your ATV or motorcycle..
#8When unloading your rifle point it at the ground not up into the air.
#9If you see your friend not controlling his mussel direction the right way don't hold back let him or her know about this unacceptable action..

I can't count the amount of times I have asked my fellow hunter after shooting there animal i say have you got a bullet in the chamber ??? your safety on ???
sometimes with the adrenalin you forget to put your rifle on safety after shooting your game animal I have witnessed this sometimes after a friend has shot
his animal he or she forgot to ether remove the bullet out of the chamber or put the rifle onto safety..

I might have missed a few pointers but got most of them..

emerson
12-13-2020, 09:16 AM
I’m with you. Muzzle consciousness is a critical firearm handling skill. Often folks are just not used to carrying such a large responsibility and take it lightly in action if not word.

pager
12-13-2020, 10:41 AM
This reminds me of a time many years ago when I went to Princeton to hunt mule deer. I stopped in Prince to go into the gun store and this was in the days that the guns were on the floor in racks and anyone could pick one up and handle it. I have always had the habit of always opening any gun that I pick up, I picked up a 270 rifle of the rack opened the bolt and out came a live round. Took it over to the counter and asked the guy what the hell, he said you will have to come back and talk to the boss when he is in . went back later and his excuse was he lent it to a friend to use on the weekend and when he brought it back he just put it back on the floor without checking it. so you never know.

Arctic Lake
12-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Is there a news agency that has covered this ? Can’t seem to find one !
Arctic Lake

Redthies
12-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Does anyone ACTUALLY know what happened? Perhaps it wasn’t hunter safety after all and suicide?

Well, Lytton is west of Spences Bridge, and last time I checked had the highest per capita suicide rate in BC, so it’s not out of the question.

I’ve also looked for news reports and seen nothing.

Gateholio
12-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Best bet is to not have one in the chamber until you need it don’t you thinks Gates....that way all parties know the guns not going to go off.
Thats been my policy for years with guided clients and in cases were they don’t want to pay attention the hunt can come to an end quick.
Many years ago a client I was guiding was told twice not to be packing an un-safetied rifle.
The third time there was no talking.
He passed me his gun to go in an floatplane, the safety was off, I cracked the bolt to see a shell under the hammer....the rifle went in the lake and the hunt terminated right there.
Looked damn funny watching him retrieve his rifle in waist deep water.

I'm perfectly comfortable walking around with a loaded chamber, safety engaged. If I think I will be in a situation where I cannot control the firearm, it gets unloaded/unchambered.

If I was in a situation where I was not in charge (like a guided hunt) I would do as requested by the guide.

mpotzold
12-13-2020, 02:33 PM
This bad news of this hunter being shot brings back bad memories to me I had a good friend die in my arms shot from another hunter when I was 19 years old.
There are so many rules when friends come into my hunting camp ,,so sorry for this man that got shot and feel bad for the person that shot him if he survived
this ordeal I wish him a full recovery and if he died my condolence goes out to his family and friends, such sad news to hear of ..:cry::cry:

#1 when your in my camp with your rifles you have to have the bolt open at all times.
#2 never have a bullet in the chamber when your hunting with someone else..
#3never but never have that mussel pointing at anything else except shooting at your animal.
#4Always have your bolt open when in the truck or the leaver action..

#5 If you have a removable clip when in your truck or car have it out of the rifle.
#6 Never scope anyone with your rifle scope use your spotter or binoculars to look at
objects
#7Never carry a loaded rifle on your ATV or motorcycle..
#8When unloading your rifle point it at the ground not up into the air.
#9If you see your friend not controlling his mussel direction the right way don't hold back let him or her know about this unacceptable action..

I can't count the amount of times I have asked my fellow hunter after shooting there animal i say have you got a bullet in the chamber ??? your safety on ???
sometimes with the adrenalin you forget to put your rifle on safety after shooting your game animal I have witnessed this sometimes after a friend has shot
his animal he or she forgot to ether remove the bullet out of the chamber or put the rifle onto safety..

I might have missed a few pointers but got most of them..

Sorry to hear about your friend dying in your arms. :-(

As a youngster living in Kirkland Lake 2 guys that went to the same school were accidentally shot & killed with a 22 if I recall.
One while walking on a frozen lake with a group by a ricocheting bullet & the other when group hunting & walking on a bush road.

When moving to Kitchener one of my classmates was accidentally shot in the forearm with a bigger caliber leaving a huge indentation.

Fully agree with your pointers.
In general I abstain from shooting at a running animal.

Redthies
12-13-2020, 10:22 PM
I'm perfectly comfortable walking around with a loaded chamber, safety engaged. If I think I will be in a situation where I cannot control the firearm, it gets unloaded/unchambered.

If I was in a situation where I was not in charge (like a guided hunt) I would do as requested by the guide.

Well said Clarke.

caddisguy
12-13-2020, 11:35 PM
Safety is a good thing to have, but it can give a false sense of security. If a "safety" ever helps someone in any way, they made a terrible firearm handling mistake. Never rely on a safety in any way, not just because you can't rely on it, but because it's purpose is to be there when you make a mistake... key is, don't make a mistake. I usually pretend my firearms do not have safety. Once in a while I will flick them on, but my focus is on muzzle control and handling. Safety might help if a twig tries to pull the trigger but that's about it. It's usually not going to help in a bump or fall (depends on the mechanics but likely not helpful) ... I have one in the pipe when I'm hunting alone or on flat terrain. If I am hunting with someone else or there could be slips and falls, nothing is chambered. Muzzles always safe direction in any terrain.

That aside, there are not much in the way of details as to what happened. Focus should be on hoping they are okay, condolences if not.... hoping for the former.

wideopenthrottle
12-14-2020, 07:59 AM

this is how I was taught...unchamber to go over a fence or walk a log across a creek etc...muzzle control at all times and work the action 3 times when handing over a gun or picking one up

ratherbefishin
12-14-2020, 08:12 AM
60 years ago My dad told me the most dangerous time was when you fired a shot at a deer and automatically reloaded ready to take another shot ...in the moment you are distracted and might forget the gun is loaded..it’s advice I never forgot and passed on to my boys

no, I never use a safety, either leave the bolt open or load and close the bolt on an empty chamber,easy enough to work the bolt and put one in.I think constancy is the key ,

REMINGTON JIM
12-14-2020, 08:22 AM
HAS anyone found any Public News of this Hunter being Shot ? RJ

hawk-i
12-14-2020, 08:41 AM
60 years ago My dad told me the most dangerous time was when you fired a shot at a deer and automatically reloaded ready to take another shot ...in the moment you are distracted and might forget the gun is loaded..it’s advice I never forgot and passed on to my boys

no, I never use a safety, either leave the bolt open or load and close the bolt on an empty chamber,easy enough to work the bolt and put one in.I think constancy is the key ,

IMHO, the advice your father should have instilled in you head is "ALWAYS treat every firearm as though it is loaded at all times" instead of "don't load your firearm" :)

Ron.C
12-14-2020, 09:20 AM
I hunt with a round chambered quite a lot. Yesterday I was upland hunting and it would IMO pretty tough to chamber a shell when a bird flushes.

When I'm bear hunting on the island, its predominantly spot and stalk and I don't typically chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot.

When I'm deer or elk hunting, I often still hunt and have shot animals at close range, once again making clambering a round difficult when you are in close quarters. If I'm sitting, my rifle is loaded.

I do unload my gun when making hard climbs (often the case when goat hunting) or descents or traversing very bad terrain where a fall is far more likely.

REMINGTON JIM
12-14-2020, 09:26 AM
I hunt with a round chambered quite a lot. Yesterday I was upland hunting and it would IMO pretty tough to chamber a shell when a bird flushes.

When I'm bear hunting on the island, its predominantly spot and stalk and I don't typically chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot.

When I'm deer or elk hunting, I often still hunt and have shot animals at close range, once again making clambering a round difficult when you are in close quarters. If I'm sitting, my rifle is loaded.

I do unload my gun when making hard climbs (often the case when goat hunting) or descents or traversing very bad terrain where a fall is far more likely.

YUP ! ALL just common sense stuff ! but as we all know common sense is LACKING a lot these days ! RJ

LBM
12-14-2020, 09:30 AM
The main reason I got 45/70 Defenders for both Eve & I. When I see fresh grizz signs the gun is chambered with a 540 gr when alone & ready to use almost immediately.
If hunting with a partner the chamber is empty in general.

Re: the story. Couldn't find any info on the shooting so far!

More scarier then the bear is a person with a loaded gun that is scared of bears.

Redthies
12-14-2020, 09:37 AM
As Ron says, for upland there is always a shell in the chamber(s). If you don’t hunt that way, you will never get birds, other than maybe grouse. Try hunting chukar without a round in the pipe...

When I’m traversing sketchy terrain, I unload. I usually hunt with a lever action so have a safety AND half cock position on the hammer. I’ve hunted the same way for 30 years and it’s worked for me. Mind you, I am an absolute nazi about muzzle control, even unloaded, so that covers 99% of the safety aspect.

And we STILL don’t have ANY proof anyone got hurt aside from the first post here saying “I know a guy who heard from a guys cousin that someone somewhere might have gotten shot”.

ACB
12-14-2020, 11:01 AM
More scarier then the bear is a person with a loaded gun that is scared of bears.
Exactly, person that is scared of bears is a scary thing to behold. In the mid 1960's we had a some one that lived fairly close to us that had shot and killed his hunting partner, apparently they had seen bears close by and when he heard some noise in the bush he let some lead fly and changed both of their lives for ever.

Downwindtracker2
12-14-2020, 11:50 AM
The CORE program has helped a great deal. The number of hunters have remained fairly constant at around 100,000, while the hunting accidents have declined, often going years without one.

As an apprentice carpenter my journeyman told me this hunting story. On the way home , one of the guys sitting in the back seat fell asleep and pushed the trigger blowing a hole in the roof of his car. in '50s ?? He was still pissed off about it.

Redthies
12-14-2020, 06:06 PM
HAS anyone found any Public News of this Hunter being Shot ? RJ

Closest I’ve found is a guy pulled in to the Merritt RCMP parking lot on Saturday afternoon (the 6th), started shooting at the detachment and them offed himself...

Bugle M In
12-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Dont know if this is true?
IF it is, its very unfortunate.

I was told there were a couple of deaths due to ATV's in the S/B area?
Didnt have much chance to discuss but next time i see the individual i will ask as he was in a rush when he blurted that out.
I mentioned it in a thread where an old school friend i grew up. and learned of his death in the EK this past season due to atv accident.

Watch your barrel, treat it as loaded always!
And ride safe., keep eyes on road. (which doesn't go well while driving and hunting at the same time!??)

walks with deer
12-15-2020, 07:26 PM
As Ron says, for upland there is always a shell in the chamber(s). If you don’t hunt that way, you will never get birds, other than maybe grouse. Try hunting chukar without a round in the pipe...

When I’m traversing sketchy terrain, I unload. I usually hunt with a lever action so have a safety AND half cock position on the hammer. I’ve hunted the same way for 30 years and it’s worked for me. Mind you, I am an absolute nazi about muzzle control, even unloaded, so that covers 99% of the safety aspect.

And we STILL don’t have ANY proof anyone got hurt aside from the first post here saying “I know a guy who heard from a guys cousin that someone somewhere might have gotten shot”.

never shot a chukar with a shotgun only 30-06 head shots a limit to boot.

Redthies
12-15-2020, 09:13 PM

Ypu are my new favourite comedian!

mpotzold
12-15-2020, 10:54 PM

:mrgreen:Around 50 years ago hunting in the Gang area came across a huge grouse sitting on a branch & shot it with my 308 Norma in the head. Never saw grouse that big. :shock:
Gave to D.F., my hunting partner. The 7 lbs bird fed his entire family.

mpotzold
12-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Another hunter shot yesterday morning in Alberta-he's in a life-threatening condition

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/hunter-in-life-threatening-condition-after-being-shot-south-of-calgary-1.5233361

Details to come.

monasheemountainman
12-16-2020, 02:05 PM
ugh brutal, thats 2 in ab this year. i fear there is not enough proper firearm handling going on. they need to integrate safe handing in a practical sense into the PAL program as well as the core.

I swear if someone shoots me ill kill them...if i survive

hawk-i
12-16-2020, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUonA66btgI

fuzzybiscuit
12-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Many people hunting in Alberta have never taken a firearms course before. When moving here all you have to do is check a box that states you’ve taken one in another province. You never have to show it and there are without a doubt people who lie on the application.

ACB
12-16-2020, 05:41 PM
That looked like he got his hand caught in the action, because he pulled the slide back just before he jumped with a sore hand. If he did get shot, what are they doing with loaded fire arms under a counter?

ACB
12-16-2020, 05:50 PM
ugh brutal, thats 2 in ab this year. i fear there is not enough proper firearm handling going on. they need to integrate safe handing in a practical sense into the PAL program as well as the core.

I swear if someone shoots me ill kill them...if i survive
When I took my PAL years ago now, we had firearm safety on all kinds of different firearms, ie: shotguns, rifles, lever action rifles, handguns, single action handgun, double action and semi auto. I'm pretty sure firearm safety is taught in the Core program.

338win mag
12-16-2020, 06:21 PM
In my view, you don't learn firearms safety in a weekend course, or a 2 weekend course. Again, in my view, alot of basic firearms safety is reflex action...and you learn that by repetition. When I schooled my sons on safety I would give them a pellet gun and then talk to them and distract them, then remind them about the direction the firearm is pointed. They also had the core training.
Shooting someone, you think is a deer transcends firearms safety, I think.

Jagermeister
12-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Q; What is the difference between a safe firearm and an unsafe firearm?

A; The person wielding it.

wideopenthrottle
12-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Q; What is the difference between a safe firearm and an unsafe firearm?

A; The person wielding it.

Like others have said you need to double idiot proof all situations....don't let someones stupid action or mistake catch you in a situation where you are unprepared to safely make a mistake of your own... it is like when I am doing chainsaw work, the first thing I tell anyone that is picking up the chunks is " do not get any closer to me than 6 feet when the saw is running"

twoSevenO
12-17-2020, 07:58 AM
In my view, you don't learn firearms safety in a weekend course, or a 2 weekend course. Again, in my view, alot of basic firearms safety is reflex action...and you learn that by repetition. When I schooled my sons on safety I would give them a pellet gun and then talk to them and distract them, then remind them about the direction the firearm is pointed. They also had the core training.
Shooting someone, you think is a deer transcends firearms safety, I think.

Yup! ... and heres the thing: I didnt even take a course.
I just showed up to a gun range where some dude said to meet him and challenged both the core and pal in the same night and had my licence a short time later. They never even called any of my references!

All I had to do was make sure I pointed the muzzle in a safe direction a few times while handling some ancient lever action he had there, pretend to cross a fence or something, and that was that.

So, yeah, you learn even less by challenging than doing a weekend course.

Redthies
12-17-2020, 10:06 AM
This is the first season I’ve ever worn any blaze orange, and it will be a lifelong habit now other than turkey or waterfowl hunting, where it has obvious issues. There are so many people out there now, and a big portion of those scare the crap out of me...

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-17-2020, 10:33 AM
^^^^^ This! I know the orange cap looks stupid... But I am in the same boat. Some of people out there scare me....

Ron.C
12-17-2020, 10:53 AM
I also now wear an orange cap when I'm hunting in an known busy area or not far off roads where most hunters tend to be. And I always have some highly visible orange on my pack.

Even more so I think it's important whenever I'm moving on or just inside a tree line or in any cut block that is visible from a road or quad trail, especially around first and last light.

mpotzold
12-17-2020, 11:01 AM
This is the first season I’ve ever worn any blaze orange, and it will be a lifelong habit now other than turkey or waterfowl hunting, where it has obvious issues. There are so many people out there now, and a big portion of those scare the crap out of me...

Been wearing an orange &/or red shirt/jacket & a red hat since a teen & never been shot at. IMO hunters should be required to wear blaze orange.
Also deer/moose are colour blind & I don't hunt bears/wolves....

ACB
12-17-2020, 11:50 AM
^^^^^ This! I know the orange cap looks stupid... But I am in the same boat. Some of people out there scare me....
I don't think hunter orange hats or vests look stupid, I equate wearing them as the same as wearing safety equipment at work, where I worked you wouldn't think of not wearing a hi-visey vest or steel toed boots or hard hat because of obvious reasons. I think one of the most unsafe acts a guy can do in the bush is to use their rifle scope for spotting, I can count about half a dozen times I'v caught guys pointed in my direction. After giving a big yell out and hitting the dirt and then sneak a peak they generally either gone or standing there with their rifle down. I talked to a couple of the guys afterward, and their pretty sheepish about what happened. Some people are just too god dam cheap to buy a set of bino's.

whognu
12-17-2020, 12:02 PM
does this orange vest make my ass look phat?

Jagermeister
12-17-2020, 12:48 PM
Long ago , okay, 50s and 60s we wore red and orange quite a bit. The pants were usually blue jeans, but sometimes brownish wool pants, weather dependent.

On this occasion, I was hunting solo between Rock Creek and Midway. I was crossing a fairly open hillside when just in front of me the dirt blew up followed by the report of a rifle shot. Lucky for me, there was a large boulder two giant steps away which I dove behind just as I heard the second report.

After a couple of minutes I collect my wits. I get down on my belly and gingerly peek around the boulder.
Across the way I see a guy squinting through his scope in my direction. I gingerly slide my rifle out and line up on a slender poplar tree trunk about 15" away from him and send a shot into the trunk. I see wood splinters flying and then the French accented caterwauling starts. "Don't shot, don't shot!"

I holler back with with the same instruction and then show myself. Across the way I see a portly dude in a red mackinaw jacket and cap combo.

As I approach he starts profusely apologizing stating, "I thought you a deer" in a heavily laced French accent.

I can see why that could be, his glasses were like the bottoms of a coke bottle and were quite smudged. On top of that, I asked to see his rifle and took a peek down the scope. It was so out of focus for me that when I looked over to the boulder I could not make any detail.

Anyhow, I chewed him out and told him to be more cautious and get the scope in focus. He said he would go home to his friend's place in Greenwood and get him to help focus the scope. It didn't dawn on me at the time to ask to see his hunting license or to ask if he was a BC resident.

I was wearing plaid as well, red cap. It was sometime later when in the Cariboo, I was sitting on bit of a hill at the side of a road. My vantage point gave me an ample view in either direction. This was in the first week of October and the leaves were just starting to fall. Off in the distant I see a black shape moving amongst the trees. Pop my binoculars up and what I see is not the black of a moose, but the plaid jacket of man. Over the distance, the color black becomes more predominant over the red, virtually obscuring the red. About then I decided to acquire some camo. Not the camo of today, but the military camo from the 50s and 60s, the only camo available.

And I stopped hiking about aimlessly. Hike to a spot that gives me cover and which I can see from in most all direction. Figured that if I wasn't moving, there was a less likely chance of being seen and mistaken for a critter.

One more thing. There is a little test you should do on your bolt action rifle. On an empty chamber, cock the rifle, engage the safety and pull back on the trigger. Now, keeping your finger away from the trigger, ease the safety off. If the firing pin is released, you better get the rifle to a gunsmith to have him check it out.

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-17-2020, 12:57 PM
I don't think hunter orange hats or vests look stupid

Well, my wife says it's really my face, but I prefer blaming it on the hat ;-)

chilko
12-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Been wearing an orange &/or red shirt/jacket & a red hat since a teen & never been shot at. IMO hunters should be required to wear blaze orange.
Also deer/moose are colour blind & I don't hunt bears/wolves....

I've noticed that you arrive at conclusions in a rather bizarre manner. I've never worn orange and i haven't been shot at either . Go figure

Norwestalta
12-17-2020, 05:37 PM
I've noticed that you arrive at conclusions in a rather bizarre manner. I've never worn orange and i haven't been shot at either . Go figure

Count me on this. Wierd or what.

Bernie O
12-17-2020, 05:45 PM
I dont see where anybody is mentioning the possible shooting anymore and this has morphed into a safety thread with many differing opinions. As with everything in life resonsibility starts and ends with yourself. Dont always look to someone else for the porblem or the solution. Personally I wear camo and hide from others in thebush until I can verify their intentions. As a hunter you should be able to see them as well as they can see you.

mrdoog
12-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Long ago , okay, 50s and 60s we wore red and orange quite a bit. The pants were usually blue jeans, but sometimes brownish wool pants, weather dependent.

On this occasion, I was hunting solo between Rock Creek and Midway. I was crossing a fairly open hillside when just in front of me the dirt blew up followed by the report of a rifle shot. Lucky for me, there was a large boulder two giant steps away which I dove behind just as I heard the second report.

After a couple of minutes I collect my wits. I get down on my belly and gingerly peek around the boulder.
Across the way I see a guy squinting through his scope in my direction. I gingerly slide my rifle out and line up on a slender poplar tree trunk about 15" away from him and send a shot into the trunk. I see wood splinters flying and then the French accented caterwauling starts. "Don't shot, don't shot!"

I holler back with with the same instruction and then show myself. Across the way I see a portly dude in a red mackinaw jacket and cap combo.

As I approach he starts profusely apologizing stating, "I thought you a deer" in a heavily laced French accent.

I can see why that could be, his glasses were like the bottoms of a coke bottle and were quite smudged. On top of that, I asked to see his rifle and took a peek down the scope. It was so out of focus for me that when I looked over to the boulder I could not make any detail.

Anyhow, I chewed him out and told him to be more cautious and get the scope in focus. He said he would go home to his friend's place in Greenwood and get him to help focus the scope. It didn't dawn on me at the time to ask to see his hunting license or to ask if he was a BC resident.

I was wearing plaid as well, red cap. It was sometime later when in the Cariboo, I was sitting on bit of a hill at the side of a road. My vantage point gave me an ample view in either direction. This was in the first week of October and the leaves were just starting to fall. Off in the distant I see a black shape moving amongst the trees. Pop my binoculars up and what I see is not the black of a moose, but the plaid jacket of man. Over the distance, the color black becomes more predominant over the red, virtually obscuring the red. About then I decided to acquire some camo. Not the camo of today, but the military camo from the 50s and 60s, the only camo available.

And I stopped hiking about aimlessly. Hike to a spot that gives me cover and which I can see from in most all direction. Figured that if I wasn't moving, there was a less likely chance of being seen and mistaken for a critter.

One more thing. There is a little test you should do on your bolt action rifle. On an empty chamber, cock the rifle, engage the safety and pull back on the trigger. Now, keeping your finger away from the trigger, ease the safety off. If the firing pin is released, you better get the rifle to a gunsmith to have him check it out.

-sounds like you had a close encounter with Bubbles

mpotzold
12-17-2020, 09:29 PM

Hunters who wear hunter orange are seven times less likely to be shot!
https://www.oldschoolsportsnny.com/post/hunters-be-safe-be-seen-orange-saves-lives

A colleague told me that he was shot at more than one time but luckily missed while hunting. He wore only camo.

Downwindtracker2
12-17-2020, 09:57 PM
Usually in the Regs there is an article, one such was a listing of the hunting "accidents" per year and the number of hunters. I noticed that the accidents showed a decline to point where there were recent years without any. Whereas the number of hunting licenses remained fairly steady. My take from the numbers was that CORE was working, and as those old sound shot hunters were not hunting anymore. I started hunting late in life, in 1980 . Most of the guys of my age have Jagermeister story or two, but I don't.

Firstblood
12-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Other places have different rules. In one day in ontario I had 5 guns pointed at me while hunting public land in thick bush. I was wearing a blaze orange hat and hoodie.

from the regs there.

A hunter orange garment and head covermust be worn. The hunter orange garmentmust cover a minimum of 2,580 squarecentimetres (400 square inches) above thewaist and be visible from all sides. Openmesh or camouflage hunter orange mustnot be part of the 2,580 square centimetres(400 square inches). A hunting coat orvest generally meets this requirement.The hunter orange head cover may have:open mesh, a peak or brim colour otherthan hunter orange, and a crest or logowhich does not completely cover the hunterorange on the side where it is affixed. Thehead cover must not contain camouflagematerial.

Gateholio
12-17-2020, 10:10 PM
BC asked hunters a number of years ago if there should be a orange clothing law. Thankfully, the proposed law was rejected by BC hunters and the suggestion was made for hunters to wear whatever color clothing made them feel most comfortable.

IslandWanderer
12-17-2020, 10:35 PM
https://www.oldschoolsportsnny.com/post/hunters-be-safe-be-seen-orange-saves-lives

A colleague told me that he was shot at more than one time but luckily missed while hunting. He wore only camo.

42% of all statistics are made up on the spot, lol.

whitlers
12-17-2020, 10:42 PM
I cary a yellow glassing pad and an orange kill kit bag. If I ever get something down and I need to pack it out I make sure the yellow pad or orange bag are well displayed. Sad to think it's something we have to think about. How many times have you come across a hunter in the bush who is using their rifle as binoculars. Fairly common.

Arctic Lake
12-17-2020, 11:02 PM
Uh. What is the follow up to this story anyway ?
Arctic Lake

MOOSE MILK
12-18-2020, 01:43 AM
Growing up in Ontario I was required to wear hunter red or orange...the first time hunting in BC and putting on the colours my hunting buddies made fun of me. So going with the crowd I dawned my camo, felt naked at first but started to feel better when I couldn't be seen by other hunters. I have had guys walk past with in feet and not see me. I don't get chatty with anyone that is not in my party so I just let them go in their merry way.
I do have a lightweight red vest and toque in my pack that I wear after bagging an animal or there seems to be a bunch of other guys around when heading back out of the bush.

chilko
12-18-2020, 06:25 AM
Uh. What is the follow up to this story anyway ?
Arctic Lake

Gentleman in his mid sixties accidently shot himself and died. Don't know details . Should come out in the news eventually unless they decide to lump it into covid stats.

chilko
12-18-2020, 06:53 AM

The statistical probability of me being shot regardless of what i am wearing is minute , even smaller than the improbale chance of being mauled by a bear. Hell , i could probably dress as a deer and most days i would be fine.

There is probably a statistic about how much worrying about nothing affects your health. That , my friend , is a stat you should be focusing on.

Norwestalta
12-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Maybe it's just me but blaze orange looks black under low light conditions. If you're worried about being shot while out hunting I'd suggest wearing a head light.

It is a unfortunate accident that isn't the first nor will it be the last. The sad thing is that many of these types of accidents are easily avoidable.

hunter1947
12-18-2020, 07:52 AM

it takes this kind of stupidest that might had killed someone ,,why did this man working behind the counter have a loaded handgun ?? just plain stupid..

Jagermeister
12-18-2020, 10:28 AM
We had a fatality at the KTSA IPSC competition in 2017. Dr. Richard Cho from the LML was the victim. It was an in-intentional discharge of his own firearm when he fumbled it and it discharged hitting him in the stomach. He was administered first aid immediately and BC Ambulance were quickly on site and transported him to the hospital where he sadly succumbed to the injury.
Unless there are first hand witnesses you never know what really transpired.

Arctic Lake
12-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Thank You Chilko !
Arctic Lake

Gentleman in his mid sixties accidently shot himself and died. Don't know details . Should come out in the news eventually unless they decide to lump it into covid stats.

xlcc
12-19-2020, 11:52 AM
First thing I learned about guns is to never point the muzzle at something you don't intend to shoot,then check to see if it is loaded.
Some people are just plain stupid!
Maybe he didn't like himself.

REMINGTON JIM
12-20-2020, 12:12 PM
it takes this kind of stupidest that might had killed someone ,,why did this man working behind the counter have a loaded handgun ?? just plain stupid..

VERY :( stupid people involved there - neither one Displayed any safe gun handling as neither one checked the handgun to see if i was loaded ! One was a COP but i`ve i have meet more than a few DUMB ones of them ! :tongue: RJ

Dougielightning
12-20-2020, 08:16 PM
First thing I learned about guns is to never point the muzzle at something you don't intend to shoot,then check to see if it is loaded.
Super unfortunate accident sad for his family

The Hermit
12-24-2020, 04:30 PM
A minor reason why most of my time in the field is during archery only seasons, full camo, painted face, tree stands! :-) I love firearms, shooting them and hunting with them but honestly I am much more vigilant and hyper-aware during rifle season. Bowhunting is way more relaxed!

Redthies
12-24-2020, 10:31 PM
A minor reason why most of my time in the field is during archery only seasons, full camo, painted face, tree stands! :-) I love firearms, shooting them and hunting with them but honestly I am much more vigilant and hyper-aware during rifle season. Bowhunting is way more relaxed!

Don’t kid yourself. Bows can kill you just as dead, just as fast (give or take a few thousands of a second). It’s great that you FEEL safer, but you’re not.

walks with deer
12-24-2020, 10:36 PM
almost been shot by a shitty hack crossbowbhunter in the ek.. he looked like noggin in a gilie suite

mpotzold
12-24-2020, 10:45 PM

While deer hunting in Ohio 3 weeks ago father accidentally killed his son who wasn’t wearing hunter orange.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9040107/Father-63-accidentally-shot-dead-son-28-hunting-trip-Ohio-mistaking-deer.html

IronNoggin
12-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Don’t kid yourself. Bows can kill you just as dead, just as fast (give or take a few thousands of a second). It’s great that you FEEL safer, but you’re not.

Actually, he is one hell of a lot safer, for several reasons.
There are generally an exponentially less number of hunters who participate (been in the late archery season for 2 decades, and have met 2 other bow hunters).
Bows have an extremely limited range compared to any rifle.
Most dedicated bow hunters are extremely conscious about where and what they are shooting at.

I'm with the Hermit on this one.
Always a hell of a lot safer when the LML Wannabee's ain't out there.

Cheers,
Nog

mpotzold
12-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Over 2 weeks & no official news/update/local area news about the shot hunter. What gives?

Redthies
12-27-2020, 08:03 AM
<Most>dedicated bow hunters are extremely conscious about where and what they are shooting at.

Always a hell of a lot safer when the LML Wannabee's ain't out there.

And I’ve seen MANY clowns out there with bows. Last time was when one came walking right through our camp. Like right between our tents (we were NOT camped on a road or trail). And you guessed it... We were ON THE ISLAND.

My point was, you might be safer in a per capita way, as there are way less people out during archery season, but you still need to be careful and aware. There are plenty of numbskulls out there with bows, and not all are from your dreaded “LML”.

338win mag
12-27-2020, 08:06 AM
I used to know a bowhunter who took an arrow in the shoulder, years ago, I was surprised at how lucky he was, a couple inches over and he would of taken it in the chest.

IronNoggin
12-27-2020, 11:07 AM
... My point was, you might be safer in a per capita way, as there are way less people out during archery season, but you still need to be careful and aware. There are plenty of numbskulls out there with bows, and not all are from your dreaded “LML”.

And my point was that you are Exponentially Safer in a "per capita way".

Of course one still has to be aware of your surroundings and careful of what is there.
For many, that goes with the territory called Hunting regardless.

And while I do agree that numbskulls can be found anywhere, I stand by my assertion that the LML produces MUCH more than it's share in this regard.

Cheers,
Nog

whitlers
12-27-2020, 11:31 AM
And my point was that you are Exponentially Safer in a "per capita way".

Of course one still has to be aware of your surroundings and careful of what is there.
For many, that goes with the territory called Hunting regardless.

And while I do agree that numbskulls can be found anywhere, I stand by my assertion that the LML produces MUCH more than it's share in this regard.

Cheers,
Nog

While that is probably true due to more population down here and more uneducated hunters compared to some areas north of the LML. There are still morons in any community. I have seen my fair share of ass hats from local communities while hunting outside of the LML. I have also met some hunters while in the bush ask where I come from and immediately their tone changes when I say the valley. Had one guy tell me he is tired of us comming up and hunting his area..sounds like another certain group doesn't it..

The LML bashing on this site is getting pretty old. Creating separation is not helping anyone or our cause.

Stone C. Killer
12-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Small town rednecks are some of the dumbest people I've noticed in my commutes

wideopenthrottle
12-27-2020, 01:29 PM
most ( well lots anyway) of us so called LML city slickers that hunt are just transplanted bushfolk with "city skills" that had to leave the countryside/bush...to find work to raise our families...seeing how theres f-all for work left in the bush

Redthies
12-27-2020, 06:24 PM
Well said boys!

Nog- I know you are a long time member here, and I often agree with you and enjoy your posts. In this case, you are belabouring a moot point. I was merely pointing out (pun intended) that to say you are exponentially safer in bow season is ridiculous. If you took away all rifle seasons, and everything was equal and everyone used bows, there would be just as much stupidity. That’s where the per capita stats come in. If there are only a few hundred guys hunting province wide, instead of the usual few thousand, of course you are going to see less people and thusly less accidents. That doesn’t mean it’s because people have rifles or currently live in a certain area that they are going to cause more accidents. If there were only a few hundred people out in rifle season, there would not be the same number of incidents. An arrow or bolt will kill you just as dead if you misuse it.

Stillhunting
12-27-2020, 06:42 PM
I don't understand how someone can mistake a human for a huntable species. It's pretty simple, if you are not certain of your target and beyond, don't shoot, in fact don't even raise your weapon. If your eyesight makes this difficult, it's time to hang up your weapon.

Onesock
12-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Guaranteed bow only seasons are safer than GOS!

whitlers
12-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Guaranteed bow only seasons are safer than GOS!

I don't know. The early bow season is during youth only rifle in some areas. That can get down right scary sometimes. I have seen some questionable 'adults' mentoring youth during the early season.

jimzuk
12-27-2020, 09:27 PM
I agree bow only seasons are much safer

Bugle M In
12-28-2020, 02:17 PM
I know this past season i ran into 2 guys hunting together.
And when i walked up to them to chat, the one fellow (young guy) was trying to "calm down" from excitement, as he got "excited" seeing my legs as
movement thru some timber (although at that point i had watched them for minutes already before making my way to them).
He statrted going on how hunters should be have "blaze orange" on them, as for a second there, he thought he was looking at a deer etc.

I looked at him and said "good thing it is 4 point only right now!!??"

Truth is, some folks get real excited "instantly" which is not a good thing.
They might at that point see something in their mind that actually isn't.
I hate hunting any buck season and especially a doe/cow allotment area to boot for that reason and rarely go into areas that do.

Made me wonder if there should be some blaze orange stripes (thin ones) that need to be on the side of pant legs, on the outer side, from knees down.
Would not interfere with the camo look with game (Although they dont see orange), from front on, but would be noticeable to hunters.

Anyways, wouldnt doubt if a time comes that we have to wear some orange.
But as for OP, sounds like this incident was "self inflicted", intentional or not, who knows.
Treat guns as loaded at all times!

180grainer
12-28-2020, 05:04 PM
When was the last time a hunter or anyone was killed by a hunter in BC? Honestly, I don't know.

Gateholio
12-28-2020, 06:01 PM
When was the last time a hunter or anyone was killed by a hunter in BC? Honestly, I don't know.

A hunter on a red ATV near Pink Mountain was shot in the leg IIRC. 5-10 years ago

LBM
12-28-2020, 06:14 PM

a fellow was killed in 2014 well on a bear hunt.

Gateholio
12-28-2020, 06:31 PM
a fellow was killed in 2014 well on a bear hunt.

American hunter who was shot and killed by his guide.

whitlers
12-28-2020, 07:00 PM
A hunter on a red ATV near Pink Mountain was shot in the leg IIRC. 5-10 years ago

He survived. Happened a few days after I left the area about 9 years ago. Pretty scary incident for sure. He's a lucky man.

Bigdoggdon
12-28-2020, 08:28 PM
They did a study in the US and found that 75% of all fatal hunting "accidents" involved a love triangle.

crazy ducker
12-28-2020, 08:54 PM
Ladner guy was mistaken for a Buffalo him and another guy doubling on a red quad they bailed off good thing as there was a follow up shot, I think the shooter was from the island

twoSevenO
12-28-2020, 09:22 PM
American hunter who was shot and killed by his guide.

Holy sh** ... got more details on that one? How the hell did that happen?

LBM
12-28-2020, 09:30 PM

going after a wounded grizzly.

Redthies
12-29-2020, 11:15 PM

Well, the REAL story is that the client was a lousy tipper...

:shock:

Ride Red
12-30-2020, 07:15 AM
Ladner guy was mistaken for a Buffalo him and another guy doubling on a red quad they bailed off good thing as there was a follow up shot, I think the shooter was from the island

https://www.delta-optimist.com/local-news/delta-man-accidentally-shot-while-hunting-in-northern-bc-2939821

REMINGTON JIM
12-30-2020, 08:27 AM
Nearly UNBELIEVABLE how Stupid the shooter was �:roll::roll:� Talk about NOT clearly identifying your target ! No more guns or hunting for that Idiot He’s dam lucky to not have killed the man ! :mad: RJ

Arctic Lake
12-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Yikes ! He was sitting on his quad sheeeese !
Arctic Lake

https://www.delta-optimist.com/local-news/delta-man-accidentally-shot-while-hunting-in-northern-bc-2939821

338win mag
12-30-2020, 09:30 AM
Makes me wonder how many times I have been scoped?

Iron Glove
12-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Makes me wonder how many times I have been scoped?

Son was deer hunting up Whipsaw area awhile back, got scoped twice in one morning. He wasn't happy.
Another story of "Dumb Things With Guns." Small Town Junior "B" Hockey player out one day in hunting season, playing around in the back seat with his rifle. Rifle goes "boom", takes a chunk out of his arm. Placed on "injury list" with a "hockey related arm injury." :shock:

whitlers
12-30-2020, 01:15 PM
I have been scoped once. Was not a great feeling. Came out of a stretch of timber and look to my left to see a rifle pointed at me a 100 yards away. Some very unpleasant words were said and I implied that the other hunter should invest in a pair of binos..

You don't come hunting with me if you don't cary a pair of binos on your chest.

The Hermit
12-30-2020, 01:49 PM
^ ... Police carry loaded firearms on them everyday. Lots of them. Never hear of any incidents regarding that...

LOL Well having worked with a local PD (as a shrink) I could tell you some stories! Accidentally blowing a big hole in the roof of a squad car with the shotty, firing not one but two 9mm rounds into the floor of the locker, etc. Shit happens once in a while no matter the training and experience everyone can have a total brain fart and screw up.

338win mag
12-30-2020, 01:52 PM
LOL Well having worked with a local PD (as a shrink) I could tell you some stories! Accidentally blowing a big hole in the roof of a squad car with the shotty, firing not one but two 9mm rounds into the floor of the locker, etc. Shit happens once in a while no matter the training and experience everyone can have a total brain fart and screw up.
LOL....:lol:...

The Hermit
12-30-2020, 02:06 PM
Yikes ! He was sitting on his quad sheeeese !
Arctic Lake

About 20 years ago, the end of a long day of hiking in the snow, a tad dehydrated, and tired I was slowly walking down a skidder rd back to my Honda bike. Even knowing that I was getting close to where I'd left it, as I glanced up through the fog about 100 meters away at the apex of a corner, I saw a really tall rack on a buck. I dropped to a knee and raised my rifle with thumb on the safety, and there in my scope was my motorcycle with those damned mirrors (antlers). I almost shot my bike! Scared the shit out of me thinking about that and I've never forgotten the lesson. Always Always Always confirm the target beyond doubt with my binos BEFORE raising the rifle. I got lucky, others won't. Be careful out there boys and girls.

Iron Glove
12-30-2020, 02:28 PM

A bit scary. :shock:
Another Kid story - he's deer hunting in the Princeton area, tracking a buck up a cut block when he sees a truck at the top of the cut block glassing the buck. He stops, walks back to his truck and drives to the top, stops to chat. One of the guys is leaning his rifle on a truck hood lining up the buck, takes a shot, missed by a mile, can't figure it out. Son looks at the front of the truck says "Umm, you seem to have hydraulic fluid dripping out and a hole in your hood." Guess the guy didn't compensate for the fact that the barrel sits a lot lower than the scope. :-P

180grainer
01-03-2021, 08:11 PM
If the last person shot in a hunting accident in BC is in 2014, I'll keep hunting. Probably have better odds getting the COVID.

mrdoog
01-03-2021, 08:28 PM
I’ve never really worried about being shot while out walking along my favourite trails.
Can’t say the same when I’m out for a walk around my neighborhood.

mpotzold
12-04-2021, 10:49 PM

Always-a must!
Also when hunting with others my rifle/shotgun chamber is always empty unless ready to shoot.

Recent hunters shooting accidents

3 hunters in just a few days were shot accidentally in western Pennsylvania-2 have died.

Also a hunter in Texas accidentally killed his 11 year old daughter (also a hunter) with a 30-30 Nov. 27

More info

1) Nov. 20, Gary Hunt, 64, a retired police officer, was shot in the abdomen by his hunting companion’s .270-caliber rifle
Hunt and his companion, a 42-year-old, were hunting black bear. The 42-year-old crossed the creek with Hunt following him and the rifle discharged behind him when he slipped.

Corry man killed in hunting accident | News | meadvilletribune.com (https://www.meadvilletribune.com/news/corry-man-killed-in-hunting-accident/article_58fc8e42-4bd7-11ec-974e-433cc6b4abef.html)

2) 71-year-old William Tripp was shot in the head Nov. 27 by a .243.
A young relative of Tripp's attempted to shoot a deer and instead struck Tripp, who was about 300 yards away,

Child Shoots, Kills Relative In PA Deer Hunting Accident: Report | Across Pennsylvania, PA Patch (https://patch.com/pennsylvania/across-pa/child-shoots-kills-relative-pa-deer-hunting-accident-report)

3) Lawrence S. Pavolko, 58 was accidentally shot in the chest by his son with a .30-06 rifle during a deer hunt. He survived.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/albion-man-hospitalized-hunting-incident-144600447.html (https://www.yahoo.com/now/albion-man-hospitalized-hunting-incident-144600447.html)

Texas shooting accident

Texas girl accidentally shot and killed by dad on Thanksgiving hunting trip - National | Globalnews.ca (https://globalnews.ca/news/8414657/daisy-george-killed-texas-hunting-accident-shot-by-dad/)

dino
12-04-2021, 11:24 PM
Certain types of hunting seconds count so one in the pipe is acceptable.

xlcc
12-05-2021, 02:55 PM
If my pipe is in my hand,it's loaded.No good if it isn't.
Like a camera with no film.
My gun is a tool,if you don't know how to use it you should use it.
People make mistakes.It is a sad fact.

4 point
12-05-2021, 03:22 PM
Without my rifle being loaded with 3 & the safety on I would have taken many few deer.

madcalfe
12-05-2021, 04:46 PM
hunting around home i don't usually walk around with one loaded
sheep hunting on the other hand there's always one in the tube till I'm getting back on the float plane or truck.
even when im sleeping with it beside me in the tent... muzzle obviously pointing down

mpotzold
12-05-2021, 07:32 PM
Another hunter killed yesterday afternoon. Details to come.

37 year old Nathan Allen Sharpnack was taking part in a deer drive with a large group of hunters in Iowa when he was fatally shot.

https://kelo.com/2021/12/05/iowa-hunter-fatally-wounded/

LBM
12-05-2021, 07:54 PM
your missing some others

caddisguy
12-05-2021, 09:03 PM
My thoughts / opinions about utilizing (but not relying on) safety, having one in the pipe, etc have changed a lot over the years toward the cautious side.

Way I see it 3 events need to coinside. A gun needs to be loaded, unknowingly or not, a trigger pull intentional or not or malfunction occurs and the firearm is pointed in an unsafe direction, knowingly or unknowingly.

I figure carry around a gun day after day, year after year, nobody is immune. I've seen 1 out of 3 happen a few times and 2 out of 3 happen twice.

I always use the safety these days and only have one in the pipe some of the time when solo.

Being aware of ones target and beyond... man I wish some of these rec shooters would get the memo. Had so many bullets zing/whistling/screech, hit trees in behind me these last couple years. So many seem to think "treeline = backstop" ... probably nobody in the bush right? And it should hit a tree within the first 50 yards right? Nope... most coming through 800 yards later even in the thickest... then of course a couple guys I came down and talked to "oh we're so sorry we just wanted to fire some up the hill towards the mountain, didn't know anybody could be up there"

But complete ignorance (criminal to boot) ^^^^^^ aside, it's up to each hunter or hunting group to decide how they want to roll and that's fine so long as everyone is on the same page and being aware of their targets and beyond.

jshansen
12-06-2021, 01:09 PM
I was hunting this one spot that is hike in only, never seen sign of humans in there before all my time there. It's a beauty patch of mature timber on these mossy bluffs overlooking a small overgrown cut. I was still hunting all day and popped onto the bluffs to cook some lunch with a view. I was glassing because you never know, and down in there was some dude glassing with his rifle. Pointed right at my guts. I grabbed my brother in law and we jumped into some timber. Not a good feeling. I'm surprised how many guys use the scope not the binos to glass. Big no no

caddisguy
12-06-2021, 02:02 PM
I was hunting this one spot that is hike in only, never seen sign of humans in there before all my time there. It's a beauty patch of mature timber on these mossy bluffs overlooking a small overgrown cut. I was still hunting all day and popped onto the bluffs to cook some lunch with a view. I was glassing because you never know, and down in there was some dude glassing with his rifle. Pointed right at my guts. I grabbed my brother in law and we jumped into some timber. Not a good feeling. I'm surprised how many guys use the scope not the binos to glass. Big no no

Holy smokes! Like he's just scanning around with his rifle looking for game and next thing you know he's pointing it at you? Or he knew you were there and trying to figure out what you were having for lunch?

How far away? I mean not that any of these questions matter, just really curious about how that all went down.

srupp
12-06-2021, 02:35 PM
i had.. shot a moose accross a meadow..i was field dressing the bull when a truck pulled up back accross the meadow..2 guys got out and used their rifle scopes to look at me ..i drove my quad across gave them shit..and went back to my moose.
i never have one in the pipes..neither did my clients...or my hunting friends ..shit happens..there are no do overs.
when it is safe..
when the correct game animal is spotted and is in my comfort range and i am ready i load a bullet put safety in
when comfortable..no surprises..safety comes off..i shoot
do i miss some harvest opportunities..yes...
but i almost never have those holy shit moments..last one over 20 years ago..
and yes i limit my hunting partners because of safety issues

im OK with my safety setup....I CAN LIVE WITH MY DECISIONS..
Srupp

Downwindtracker2
12-06-2021, 04:19 PM
A story told me. " I got shot at. I yelled and waved. I got shot at again. Luckily for me I missed when I returned fire. I might have lost my license." Stories like this were once common.

mpotzold
12-06-2021, 08:15 PM
Another shooting

Jimmy Carl Castle, 70, was hunting in West Virginia when he spotted what he thought was a bear, took aim and fired. It was around 11 a.m., Wednesday, Dec. 1. Castle shot David Nicholas Green, 30, who was wearing a black shirt while digging for roots in the area
https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article256382702.html

The hunter has been arrested & was charged with negligent shooting and failure to render aid.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/west-virginia/articles/2021-12-06/hunter-charged-after-fatal-shooting-in-west-virginia

mpotzold
12-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Another hunter killed yesterday afternoon. Details to come.

37 year old Nathan Allen Sharpnack was taking part in a deer drive with a large group of hunters in Iowa when he was fatally shot.

https://kelo.com/2021/12/05/iowa-hunter-fatally-wounded/

More detail

The group had 20 hunters.
The “deer drive” tactic typically involves a hunting party that splits into two groups, with one group walking through an area to startle deer into another area where the other group is waiting to shoot.
Deer hunters are required to wear orange vests or jackets while hunting with firearms.

Shooting victim was part of 20-person hunting group - Iowa Capital Dispatch (https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/briefs/shooting-victim-was-part-of-20-person-hunting-group/)

Bugle M In
12-07-2021, 11:05 PM
A hunting partner of my dad's, took a black bear.
He was on his own, and no backpack.
He piggybacked the bear, over his back, just holdig on to the front paws at his chest.
Started to make his way back to the truck when heard and "felt" the shot whiz right by his ear.
He dropped the bear and turned around to yell.
Hunter just ran out of there and took off in his truck.
Guess the hunter saw the bear, and assumed it was walking on its hind legs?????

So, there is a lesson in there when packing game out also!

mpotzold
12-08-2021, 01:23 AM
A hunting partner of my dad's, took a black bear.
He was on his own, and no backpack.
He piggybacked the bear, over his back, just holdig on to the front paws at his chest.
Started to make his way back to the truck when heard and "felt" the shot whiz right by his ear.
He dropped the bear and turned around to yell.
Hunter just ran out of there and took off in his truck.
Guess the hunter saw the bear, and assumed it was walking on its hind legs?????

So, there is a lesson in there when packing game out also!

Always good to hear more pertinent info!:-)

When we pack out a deer, sometimes in 1 piece, & moose parts we always flag it & make plenty of noise so can be easily seen &/or heard & never had a problem with other hunters.

Over the many years of hunting/surveying...saw bears stand up on their hind legs to smell & listen so the other hunter thought he was shooting at a bear.

Redthies
12-09-2021, 10:41 AM
I always have a couple of rolls of orange flagging tape in my hunting pack. It’s always handy to have for multiple reasons, the above one included. I have also taken to wearing blaze orange any time I’m in the woods and anything is open. The only time you need to be camouflaged is turkey or waterfowl hunting. The rest of the time, it’s an orange hat or toque at a minimum. I’ve started to look at packs that are red or orange too. Far too many dumbasses in the woods these days.

tylerduce
12-09-2021, 10:55 AM
The Lytton fire this summer burned eastward towards Spences Bridge (on both sides of the river) and even crossed highway 8. I thought most of the wildfire areas were closed? Could be wrong? Just curious.

Livewire322
12-09-2021, 11:02 AM
The Lytton fire this summer burned eastward towards Spences Bridge (on both sides of the river) and even crossed highway 8. I thought most of the wildfire areas were closed? Could be wrong? Just curious.

1) The original post is about a hunter being shot west of Spences Bridge last year.
2) Hunting is still allowed within the burn areas, there is a motor vehicle restriction though - I.e., hunting on foot only.

tylerduce
12-09-2021, 11:05 AM
1) The original post is about a hunter being shot west of Spences Bridge is from last year.
2) Hunting is still allowed within the burn areas, there is a motor vehicle restriction though - I.e., hunting on foot only.

Thanks for the clarifications.

HappyJack
12-09-2021, 03:16 PM
I always have a couple of rolls of orange flagging tape in my hunting pack. It’s always handy to have for multiple reasons, the above one included. I have also taken to wearing blaze orange any time I’m in the woods and anything is open. The only time you need to be camouflaged is turkey or waterfowl hunting. The rest of the time, it’s an orange hat or toque at a minimum. I’ve started to look at packs that are red or orange too. Far too many dumbasses in the woods these days.

Be careful, most people that get shot at have been seen by the dumbass. That is why people wear camo, they don't shoot at what they can't see...most of the time.

Redthies
12-09-2021, 08:09 PM
Be careful, most people that get shot at have been seen by the dumbass. That is why people wear camo, they don't shoot at what they can't see...most of the time.

If someone shoots at me while I’m in blaze orange, I’m returning fire!

caddisguy
12-09-2021, 10:48 PM
If someone shoots at me while I’m in blaze orange, I’m returning fire!

Man I haven't been scoped as far as I know by hunters. I cant even fathom being in view of another hunter in the timber anywhere close enough to see the blaze.

It's the strays from 800-1000M that have plagued us last few years... diamond earings, gold necklace/chains city types showing up and just letting 25-50rd mags rip straight into the timber. Doesn't matter if it's 15M of thin trees with a road on the other side, or just straight into the bush, up into the mountain, slides, etc.

Think I posted up a thread here back in April when we got shot at by drunken high cap 9mm night shooters who left piles of chickpea vomit / garbage and then again August where we were checking a cam and had bullets (several hundred) whistling/zinging/screeching hitting all around us. Had to hunker down a couple hours.

I gave some of those diamond earing guys an ear full and they drove off making throat slitting gestures at me ... tbh that did kind of make me nervous for a couple weeks, like dang some surrey gang might have a hit out on me... slept with my boots on, headlamp and pack ready. Reg 2 problems lol

Never seen sign of a hunter in the places I hunt the timber, but many rec uses think any amount of trees are a backstop and firing randomly at mountains, avalanche slides and such is a good pass time.

mpotzold
12-10-2021, 12:38 AM
A BCLS I've known for many years was shot at many years ago near Quesnel where he lived, while hunting. Told me that he was shot at more than once but was never hit. He wasn't wearing anything red. He didn't know from where the shots were coming from.

Apparently if I recall loud screaming stopped the shooting. Don't think he ever saw the guy/gal shooter.
He probably stopped hunting altogether after the incident.

I'll try to get more detail next time I see him.

rustybarrel
12-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Now I’m gonna have to take off my diamond earrings every time a I go hunting…dang it.
But, I’m leaving my gold chains on, just sayin’…

Bugle M In
12-10-2021, 12:54 PM
But this hunter died from a self inflicted gunshot.....correct???
So, if we are discussing the OP, then its all about gun safety while in your hands.
I rarely put a bullet in the chamber while hunting.
I have a rifle, an older Husky, that i had a gunsmith reduce the trigger pull (well known out of Vernon but did a piss poor job)
Now, the safety moves so easily and is no longer safe.
Many times early on, if i did have one in the chamber, and safety on, and on my shoulder, i would check it, and many times the
safety had moved to fire.
Suppose it would rub along my back pack.

So now, nothing in the chamber until i am ready to fire!
And honestly, it doesn't take long to load.
Did have it jam on me this season however, which made for an interesting hunt when i took that MD.
But rather that then taking a fall, and blowing my head or foot off.
Or worse, having it hit a hunting partner that is walking along side of me.

The only time we have one in the tube is when gutting game in GBear country.
And we all tell everyone there.
We all show each other how our particular rifle safety works first.
That comes first.
Gun safety!

wideopenthrottle
12-10-2021, 03:09 PM
I only will have one tubed if I am in ready carry...if I shoulder my rifle I will remove the bullet from the tube...especially on my remmy that doesn't lock the bolt when on safety as the bolt will come open an I will lose a shell

HappyJack
12-10-2021, 05:02 PM
But this hunter died from a self inflicted gunshot.....correct???
So, if we are discussing the OP, then its all about gun safety while in your hands.
I rarely put a bullet in the chamber while hunting.
I have a rifle, an older Husky, that i had a gunsmith reduce the trigger pull (well known out of Vernon but did a piss poor job)
Now, the safety moves so easily and is no longer safe.
Many times early on, if i did have one in the chamber, and safety on, and on my shoulder, i would check it, and many times the
safety had moved to fire.
Suppose it would rub along my back pack.

So now, nothing in the chamber until i am ready to fire!
And honestly, it doesn't take long to load.
Did have it jam on me this season however, which made for an interesting hunt when i took that MD.
But rather that then taking a fall, and blowing my head or foot off.
Or worse, having it hit a hunting partner that is walking along side of me.

The only time we have one in the tube is when gutting game in GBear country.
And we all tell everyone there.
We all show each other how our particular rifle safety works first.
That comes first.
Gun safety!

Safety first, get the gun fixed or replace it.....

MOOSE MILK
12-11-2021, 11:57 AM
More OLD NEWS, what's the fascination with all the OLD NEWS on this site?
Ya opens er up and no new replies just OLD NEWS, Hopping to read about hunter getting shot, dam it happened ages ago, disappointing LOL

Bugle M In
12-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Safety first, get the gun fixed or replace it.....
Well, i would like to fix it.
However, my understanding is there are no after market adjusting trigger assembly replacements for Husky's
(they are no longer manufactured for the public, so no market for after market parts).
I should replace it, but i just don't really have the money to throw at another decent rifle
(I know, some will say that Husky's aren't real expensive to begin with, but it shoots better than a lot of very expensive rifles).
I have eyed the Sako Bavarian.
Just waiting on a money windfall.
But, the truth is my hunting years are more behind me than in front of me now, so spending big money on a rifle doesn't make
much sense unless you have money to burn.

Just keep the bullet out of the tube until i am ready to fire, and its very safe.

mpotzold
12-14-2021, 06:47 PM
In Michigan, yesterday around 6 PM, a 17 year old hunter accidentally shot with a rifle his 12-year-old brother who is now listed in serious but stable condition.
Thought he was shooting at a deer from his tree stand.

Details to come!
Teen shot younger brother after confusing him for deer, deputies say – Boston 25 News (https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/teen-shot-younger-brother-after-confusing-him-deer-deputies-say/3RHRD36CBZCC3C6IYVQRXJG3VY/)

in Michigan
All firearm hunters on any land during daylight hours must wear a blaze orange hat, vest, jacket, or rain gear. Camouflage that is at least fifty percent blaze orange is acceptable. Exception: Archery hunters during archery deer season; archery bear hunters; turkey and migratory bird hunters; falconers; stationary hunters pursuing bobcat, coyote, or fox.

mpotzold
12-15-2021, 11:52 PM
In Michigan, yesterday around 6 PM, a 17 year old hunter accidentally shot with a rifle his 12-year-old brother who is now listed in serious but stable condition.
Thought he was shooting at a deer from his tree stand.

Details to come!
Teen shot younger brother after confusing him for deer, deputies say – Boston 25 News (https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/teen-shot-younger-brother-after-confusing-him-deer-deputies-say/3RHRD36CBZCC3C6IYVQRXJG3VY/)

in Michigan
All firearm hunters on any land during daylight hours must wear a blaze orange hat, vest, jacket, or rain gear. Camouflage that is at least fifty percent blaze orange is acceptable. Exception: Archery hunters during archery deer season; archery bear hunters; turkey and migratory bird hunters; falconers; stationary hunters pursuing bobcat, coyote, or fox.

Update-(more to come)
Michigan teen shoots brother after mistaking him for deer (nypost.com) (https://nypost.com/2021/12/15/michigan-teen-shoots-brother-after-mistaking-him-for-deer/)

mpotzold
12-16-2021, 12:04 PM
17-year-old charged with Careless Discharge of a Firearm Causing Injury.

The case will be held in juvenile court.

Officials said they are not releasing the names of the teen or his brother because they are minors.

Mich. teen who mistook brother for deer and shot him charged (detroitnews.com) (https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/16/mich-teen-who-mistook-brother-deer-and-shot-him-charged/8924324002/)

Redthies
12-16-2021, 03:48 PM
That kid is so grounded this weekend!

mpotzold
09-20-2022, 10:53 PM
Vermont hunter accidentally shot , mistaken for bear
Neither wore hunter orange which is recommended.
The 35-year-old victim was hit in the abdomen by a single gunshot as he was walking to a tree stand on private land in a wooded area recently

Man who mistook fellow hunter for a bear charged in shooting incident (mynbc5.com) (https://www.mynbc5.com/article/man-who-mistook-fellow-hunter-for-a-bear-charged-in-shooting-incident/41299712)

walks with deer
09-29-2022, 02:31 AM
Good reminder people lets Orange up and be sure of are target... share this with your family and be safe.

Bugle M In
09-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Good reminder people lets Orange up and be sure of are target... share this with your family and be safe.
I am not sure if I said this before?
I was stalking MD in area.
I saw some other hunters they the timber, so I figured my stalk was over so headed towards them.
2 young fellas.
As I got close, I could see the adrenaline rush from one of them.
Before I could say hello, he blurted out, “oh wow!, I thought a deer was coming to us”????!!!

I get it, folks are out in the woods, looking hard for their quarry, doing their best to scan etc in an environment where much of the day is full of nothing but trees and dirt etc.

But please folks, take the time to fully look and identify what you see.
Calm yourself down, before taking the shot, you will shoot better for it.
And never ever assume what you see is what you are looking for….please!

And that was 4pt buck season.
I almost always refuse to hunt in an any buck season for that reason alone.
And there are some folks who carry a doe Leh with them!
So, talk about the potential risk for an itchy trigger finger.
Make sure your Doe is dry!
That their ain’t a youngster loitering somewhere ahead or behind her.

SSG-man
09-29-2022, 09:47 AM
Gotta be hallucinating to think a human looks like an animal.
Too many drug users out there.