PDA

View Full Version : Arctic oven tent and Trekker Diesel Heater for fly in trips

264mag
12-10-2020, 03:45 PM
We are changing up our fly in camp set up. Flying into a spot with very little wood so looking at trying the diesel heater route. We almost pulled the trigger a couple years back but went with wall tent and wood stove.

We are going with an Arctic Oven Nunatuk 14 x 9 with 3-4 hunters. Looking at the Trekker Diesel heater. From our research it looks like the tent holds heat in very well and the trekker (12,000 btu) should do the trick.

We won’t be using this past the end of September so extreme cold should not be an issue ( fingers crossed ).

Looking for real life experiences and feedback from those that use these heaters in tents. Not much information out there but Deluxe and Deakin both tell me they sell a ton of them.

thanks in advance as usual!

Norwestalta
12-10-2020, 03:53 PM
A good friend of mine has one. I've never stayed in it but he hunts in the Mackenzie mountains and says a propane lantern makes it quite comfortable.

mod7rem
12-10-2020, 05:47 PM
That time of year in an Arctic oven tent, that heater will probably roast you out on its lowest setting. You’ll probably be opening vents. We used our Trekker this year in a single wall 10x10 Cabela’s Outback Lodge and at -5 to -8 overnight, the low setting was more than enough. When it warmed up near zero or just above, we had vents open.
They’re great heaters but are sensitive to draft. I’d recommend getting a good pipe cap designed for wind and use the barometric damper that comes with the stove. With the supplied cap, barometric damper and 8’ of pipe, the wind still sucked out our flame a few times. Kind of sketchy because it puffs out, then silence as the raw deisel heats up, and then a good mini explosion when it relights. I’m looking at getting a vacu-stack cap for the wind. Where there’s not much wood, there’s lots of wind.

hawk-i
12-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Nice looking tent...:)

264mag
12-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Good information about the draft. Do you recall how much diesel you use when it’s on low? Just curious how that compares to the information they list on the website.

Brew
12-10-2020, 08:25 PM
My trekker heater cooks us out of our cabelas 12x12 on low. It uses about 7-9litres a night. It’s great if the weather gets really wet. You can dry out your clothes and gear in no time.
I have the 30000 btu model and wish I got the 12000. Mine is overkill and low setting I believe is 10000 btu. You should be perfect with the 12000 model. It will sip the diesel better then mine and heat you just perfect

264mag
12-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Thanks Brew, do you have any issues with the wind blowing yours out?

Sitkaspruce
12-10-2020, 08:34 PM
We use a diesel heater in our ice fishing shack (Atco 10x25) and it keeps us comfortable on low at -10 or even colder. Usually we go through 5 gallons on a weekend of continuous use (approx. 48 hours) so easy on the fuel for what you get. I had never used one prior to putting it in our shack and with the gravity feed set up, you don't smell it or worry about it.

Would go that way again for a heating source.

Cheers

SS

mod7rem
12-10-2020, 08:43 PM
We did 7 nights. The heater was on basically from dark until anywhere from 10-midnight. We let it run all night for at least 3 nights, maybe 4, I can’t remember. We took two 20 liter jugs and came home with one full and 2-3 liters left in the other.

the other thing I did was use a stiffener on the stack pipes. The stack needs to be quite high to get a proper draft for good burning, especially if you turn it up to a higher setting, but once you get all the 3” dia short pieces of pipe stacked up they are pretty unstable even though you use guy lines from the top cap to the ground. So I took a few lengths of 3/4” aluminum flat bar and some gear clamps to add stiffness to the stack. Takes a little longer to get set up but it’s good and stable.

Ride Red
12-10-2020, 08:57 PM
Question; I’ve never done a fly in; can you carry fuel inside a plane?

264mag
12-10-2020, 09:11 PM
Yes you can fly fuel in.

mod7rem
12-10-2020, 09:17 PM
If you get the taller jugs, they fit nicely into the floats of a beaver.

264mag
12-10-2020, 10:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Brew
12-10-2020, 11:09 PM
Thanks Brew, do you have any issues with the wind blowing yours out?
I havnt had problems with wind blowing it out. light it before you go hunting to make sure it works . First light of the season can be slow sometimes.
My stove has chugged like a train before but once it was warm it stopped. That was only once. Mine is 15 years old now and still like new

REMINGTON JIM
12-10-2020, 11:25 PM
https://www.portablespaceheater.ca/trekker/

firebird
12-11-2020, 05:56 AM
Forget a heater for what you are planning. You will get cooked out. 3-4 guys will heat it.

10x10 with a vestibule and around freezing mark, 2 guys heat the tent and you can’t sleep with any clothes on in your bag. When we start up a 2 burner stove to heat a meal it’s all vents and door open or else you cook also.

hawk-i
12-11-2020, 07:50 AM
Whats the cost for the tent and heater?

264mag
12-11-2020, 09:17 AM
The tent is about 3500 and the heater will be close to 1k by the time you buy all the accessories etc.

hawk-i
12-11-2020, 09:46 AM
Not cheap that's for sure but if it makes the difference between a good trip and a iffy trip then its well worth the price.

whitlers
12-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Forget a heater for what you are planning. You will get cooked out. 3-4 guys will heat it.

10x10 with a vestibule and around freezing mark, 2 guys heat the tent and you can’t sleep with any clothes on in your bag. When we start up a 2 burner stove to heat a meal it’s all vents and door open or else you cook also.

You guys must have moose hide for skin.

firebird
12-11-2020, 04:33 PM
You guys must have moose hide for skin.

Have you been in one before?

whitlers
12-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Have you been in one before?

Yup! 14x16 tent with an Expedition heater. We don't cook inside though. 8' awning takes care of that. We always run the heater on low or medium when then temp gets low. I like to be warm I guess. Or I'm just a wuss, that could definitely be the case.

firebird
12-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Lol okay good. And yours is much bigger than mine.

I find them warm (especially the 10x10) and very comfortable. We don’t bother with a stove they weigh enough by themselves. But looks like the new nunataks are much lighter

whitlers
12-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Lol okay good. And yours is much bigger than mine.

I find them warm (especially the 10x10) and very comfortable. We don’t bother with a stove they weigh enough by themselves. But looks like the new nunataks are much lighter

Yeah would definitely be warmer in a 10x10 for sure!

264mag
12-11-2020, 07:19 PM
I haven’t spoken to AA yet but I think the Nunatuk might not be as insulated as the oven models. I’m thinking heat source for comfort and to dry out clothes and gear as well.

firebird
12-11-2020, 07:46 PM
ya they couldn’t have saved all that weight in the poles alone.

Make sure you seam seal it. 1st time I used it I didn’t know the seams hadnt been done.

264mag
12-11-2020, 08:24 PM
And it weighs less than the smaller 12x12 oven.

mod7rem
12-11-2020, 09:54 PM
We are changing up our fly in camp set up. Flying into a spot with very little wood so looking at trying the diesel heater route. We almost pulled the trigger a couple years back but went with wall tent and wood stove.

We are going with an Arctic Oven Nunatuk 14 x 9 with 3-4 hunters. Looking at the Trekker Diesel heater. From our research it looks like the tent holds heat in very well and the trekker (12,000 btu) should do the trick.

We won’t be using this past the end of September so extreme cold should not be an issue ( fingers crossed ).

Looking for real life experiences and feedback from those that use these heaters in tents. Not much information out there but Deluxe and Deakin both tell me they sell a ton of them.

thanks in advance as usual!

In your situation with a tent that holds heat as well as an arctic oven, you actually might be better served with a NuWay propane heater instead. Cheaper to buy than a Trekker and fast and easy to light when you need it.

mod7rem
12-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Here’s a comment from a thread on Rokslide forum discussing NuWay stoves and an Arctic Oven tent.

https://imgur.com/a/3zqIS8C

tko
12-12-2020, 10:04 PM
someone brought a trekker on a fly in and it kind of sucked we froze our asses off and went through quite a bit of fuel , by the sounds of it I don’t we had it going properly .Make sure whoever brings it knows how to use it properly , and or test it at home to dial it in.

fuzzybiscuit
12-12-2020, 10:14 PM
In your situation with a tent that holds heat as well as an arctic oven, you actually might be better served with a NuWay propane heater instead. Cheaper to buy than a Trekker and fast and easy to light when you need it.

Those NuWay propane stoves are pretty nice. A couple bottles on a moose hunt in the wall tent and you could cover lighting, the cook stove and the heater. I’ve been reading up on them for a bit and I’m seriously thinking of going that way.

264mag
12-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Interesting, I thought they burnt way more propane than that.

Nimrod
12-13-2020, 08:17 AM
Have only used the wood stove but have been thinking of getting one of the diesel heaters as well.
Bit pricey but seems like it would be very convenient.

Deakin | Camp Equipment | Diesel Oil Stove TREKKER 12,000 BTU (https://www.deakin.com/products/Details.aspx?p=640676&c=1335&g=5469)

(112) Lighting the Trekker and Expedition Heaters: - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuGU3sPJK_A)

264mag
12-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Looking on the nuway website and it looks like the small 3000 2 burner would be the ticket. It has two 10,000 btu burners. You would fire both up for a quick heat up and then dial it back to low on one. Both models weigh 10 lbs.

fuzzybiscuit
12-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Looking on the nuway website and it looks like the small 3000 2 burner would be the ticket. It has two 10,000 btu burners. You would fire both up for a quick heat up and then dial it back to low on one. Both models weigh 10 lbs.

I have a good wood stove for my 10x12’ Deluxe wall tent and while it works fine it is big and bulky and a pain to use. That NuWay 3000 unit looks like it would be a lot smaller, much lighter and a lot less pain to use. In a smaller wall tent like mine it might just be the ticket.

Alfonz
12-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Has anyone got any experience with the Geostove? A friend of mine bought one and really likes it and it looks like you can cook on the top.

Cordillera
12-17-2020, 10:00 PM
I’ve used Arctic oven 10 and just upgraded to a 12. These things hold the heat. I understand the new lighter AO has the same material so should also be warm. Diesel heater seems overkill to me. We just fly in a wood stove and bags of firewood. We only heat it at night to dry out gear. It takes almost nothing to get that tent warm for a couple hours each day. I sleep better in a cold tent anyway.

albee
12-18-2020, 02:48 PM
Have a 12X12 Arctic oven..Stove is used for drying gear. Very comfortable in nasty weather..

264mag
12-18-2020, 05:51 PM
I’m going to go with the great nunatak. It’s the new one and it’s lighter but has the same fabric. Going to go with the propane stove.

tko
12-19-2020, 09:09 PM
I’m going to go with the great nunatak. It’s the new one and it’s lighter but has the same fabric. Going to go with the propane stove.

that sounds like the way to go !
those AO hold the heat so good you don’t need a big stove in there , sounds like the propane will work really good.

264mag
01-14-2021, 01:11 PM
Actually went a different route. Went with the new Stone glacier Skydome 6p. Its lighter and has some neat features. Still going with a nuway stove.

mod7rem
01-15-2021, 11:56 PM
Actually went a different route. Went with the new Stone glacier Skydome 6p. Its lighter and has some neat features. Still going with a nuway stove.

Looks like a nice tent. I bought a Bereg MFP-3 this winter. A good size for 2-3 with a nu-way stove. My diesel Trekker would be way too much heat for it I think. I’m going to try and do some camping with it this winter. I have a lightweight collapsible wood stove that made years ago and always used in my cabelas tent until I got the Trekker this last year. But I don’t want to use it and burn holes in this new tent. Bereg also makes some really nice wood stoves but they are expensive.

https://bereg-canada.com/shop/ols/products/mfp-3