PDA

View Full Version : Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

B-rad
12-08-2020, 01:18 PM
The birds are startin to flock up good and holding strong in the loops before the hop down to the coast

B-rad
12-08-2020, 01:28 PM
the goose hunting been awesome this year again,,,,have been greatfull to harvest aprox 17 birds this year so far,,,,,,come March 1st,,,,,,should be tons of geese kickin around for 2nd opener

walks with deer
12-08-2020, 01:54 PM
ha ha love the bufflehead...
last time i shot one of those i was a kid and my dad said (what next the egg?)

congrats on all the geese.

what direction from town are you going?

B-rad
12-08-2020, 02:13 PM
not sure why,,,,but i love the smaller ducks,,,,,id shoot a whole bag limit of all 3 species of teal if i could,,,,,lol,,,,,i find the smaller the breast,,,the easier it is to prep them to get the game taste out easier,,,,,,game taste dont bother me,,,,,but at Christmas i do a whole platter of appetizers of game birds i have harvested that season,,,,,most of the waterfowl i do a bacon wrap on them,,,,,just to get the non-hunters in the family/friends to eat them,,,,,,as far as where i hunt,,,,,,this time of year,,,,,,just north of kamloops,,,,,and both east and west of the loops,,,,,there 3 spots i focus on,,,,but i cant hit 2 of the spots hard until the fisherman are done for the year

HarryToolips
12-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Looks great, thanks for sharing...I can't wait to have time to get into waterfowl hunting..

Laurp99
12-08-2020, 03:05 PM
When hunting Mulies near Logan Lake back in October, whatever water that was not frozen was covered in ducks, hundreds upon hundreds of birds!

Next year the shotgun will accompany me on my Interior deer hunts, it would be nice to change things up a bit. I hope some of those birds make their way down here to Brunswick Point / Lower Mainland, I'll be waiting.

silveragent
12-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Laurp.. in spring when I was on a boat east of Westham, I indeed saw hundreds of ducks. But that was in spring. I've ben out a couple times in a boat same area and while I did see dozens, certainly not the promising amount I saw in warmer weather.

walks with deer
12-08-2020, 06:17 PM
not sure why,,,,but i love the smaller ducks,,,,,id shoot a whole bag limit of all 3 species of teal if i could,,,,,lol,,,,,i find the smaller the breast,,,the easier it is to prep them to get the game taste out easier,,,,,,game taste dont bother me,,,,,but at Christmas i do a whole platter of appetizers of game birds i have harvested that season,,,,,most of the waterfowl i do a bacon wrap on them,,,,,just to get the non-hunters in the family/friends to eat them,,,,,,as far as where i hunt,,,,,,this time of year,,,,,,just north of kamloops,,,,,and both east and west of the loops,,,,,there 3 spots i focus on,,,,but i cant hit 2 of the spots hard until the fisherman are done for the year

ya i cook ducks like appetizeirs aswell...may go for a goose hunt yet. been a while since i cracked out a blind\benalli\or deeks.

B-rad
12-08-2020, 07:12 PM
ya i cook ducks like appetizeirs aswell...may go for a goose hunt yet. been a while since i cracked out a blind\benalli\or deeks.
yeah its alot of fun,,,,and a fun addiction,,,,,,i usually fill 2 deer tags by 2nd week of Oct.,,,,,then its full time game on for the waterfowl,,,,,,i hunt them hard till duck/geese close on Dec.23rd,,,,,,,,then i fire it back up again March 1st--March 10th,,,,hoping to harvest another handfull of geese

WWBC
12-08-2020, 08:14 PM
That’s awesome. Duck hunting has always been something I wanted to try.

What types of areas are you looking for to find birds? Do you set decoys or jump shoot them?

walks with deer
12-08-2020, 11:20 PM
typically drive tell you see birds...

set up with decoys next morning once you find them..
attention should be more on how you hide than what decoys.

go learn go again..umm goose..

that said you can wait on a river you think they are going over (eg open water) and some times you can creep through a ditch and puddle jump them..

B-rad
12-09-2020, 07:27 AM
That’s awesome. Duck hunting has always been something I wanted to try.

What types of areas are you looking for to find birds? Do you set decoys or jump shoot them?
this time of year just scout open water and look for the birds where they holding up,,,,,show up in morning before light,,,throw mallard deeks out ,,,,set the deeks to resemble close to how you seen the birds when u scouted,,,,,me personally,,,i use,,,,,12 standard mallard deeks,,(7 drakes,,5 hens),,,,2 bottoms up mallard feeders,,,,,,12 canadian goose socks,,(with flocked heads),,,,,also,,,,,listene to them when you are scouting,,,,not all birds are chatty,,,,,,,and if calling them,,,,,keep calling to a minimum,,,,,,especially geese,,,,,very easy to bolt them with over calling,,,,or an accidental wrong note/key on the caller,,,,me personally if calling,,,,if i get birds locked onto my spread and get them 80-100 yards,,,,i stop calling all together,,,,and let them finish coming in on their own,,to the 25-35 yard mark,,,,,kamloops is more of a staging area,,,lots of loafing birds,,,,,they generally here resting and getting energy up before more of a push coast bound

labguy
12-09-2020, 08:13 AM
this time of year just scout open water and look for the birds where they holding up,,,,,show up in morning before light,,,throw mallard deeks out ,,,,set the deeks to resemble close to how you seen the birds when u scouted,,,,,me personally,,,i use,,,,,12 standard mallard deeks,,(7 drakes,,5 hens),,,,2 bottoms up mallard feeders,,,,,,12 canadian goose socks,,(with flocked heads),,,,,also,,,,,listene to them when you are scouting,,,,not all birds are chatty,,,,,,,and if calling them,,,,,keep calling to a minimum,,,,,,especially geese,,,,,very easy to bolt them with over calling,,,,or an accidental wrong note/key on the caller,,,,me personally if calling,,,,if i get birds locked onto my spread and get them 80-100 yards,,,,i stop calling all together,,,,and let them finish coming in on their own,,to the 25-35 yard mark,,,,,kamloops is more of a staging area,,,lots of loafing birds,,,,,they generally here resting and getting energy up before more of a push coast bound

Interested in migration patterns. How do you know the Kamloops birds migrate to the coast and not south into the Okanagan and beyond? Where do they come from before arriving in Kamloops?

B-rad
12-09-2020, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=labguy;2215628]Interested in migration patterns. How do you know the Kamloops birds migrate to the coast and not south into the Okanagan and beyond? Where do they come from before arriving in Kamloops?[/QUbest way would be to show migration corridors on a map,,,,would take alot of typing to explain all,,,,,if you take the white pelican for example,,,,,it migrates from Stum lake,,,(region 5,,,,,60-70km west williams lake),,,instead of flying directly south,,,,or alittle further west to the coast,,,,,,which is by far closer,,,,,,it migrates south-east through the plateau from 100 mile--70 mile,,,,then they drop into clinton plateau,,,,,then fallows corridor through Cache creek and into savona,,,,,and takes refuge at Kamloops lake/South thompson river,,,,,,then from there,,,,,few flocks will branch off,,,,travelling through to shuswap valleys ,,,,then directly through Okanagan,,down into okanagan lake,,,from there straight south,,,,,,,,,,where as other flocks from kamloops lake will take the coast corridor,,,,,,,jumping from kamloops lake/south thompson,,,,,,jumping up into the shumway,,,trapp,,,Stump,,,,Nicola lakes chain,,,,,through Merrit,,,,once birds pass the summit,,,,,,birds will basically cup wings and literally glide/coast and drop down into hope,,,chilliwack,,,fraser,,,,,,,,,there is also the tunkwa lake corridor/plateau,,,,,passing through logan lake then into Merrit,,,,then down,,,,,,,,there is a place i go just south of kamloops,,,,i call it the "night flight",,,,its awesome,,,,every night at same time from mid August---December,,,,,,you can stand there,,(last light of the day),,,,and watch 100s----1000s of birds migrate right over your head,,,,,with the majority being 40-60 yards,,,,really cool sight to see,,,,they all funel through this valley,,,,everything from rare wood duck(not very common up here),,geese,,,swans,,,pelican,,,cranes,,,,literal ly every species of duck you can think of in British columbia,,,really awesome

labguy
12-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Migration patterns are very cool indeed. Not always intuitive. I’ve shot 6 banded mallards around Vernon over a 30 year span and everyone was banded around Hay Lake.....north of Red Deer Alberta.

Once I discovered this pattern I looked into it further. Seems David Thompson (the explorer) documented this in his journals when exploring that country many years ago. According to him the birds migrate south to around Red Deer and then west towards Rocky Mountain house and then filter southwest from Jasper. Some end up in the Columbia River Valley and some into filter into the Shuswap and Okanagan Valley.

You’d wonder why they don’t head straight south through the Alberta grain belt but they don’t. These migration patterns have been established for decades before David Thompson and still happen today.

Great time of year to be out there.

B-rad
12-09-2020, 10:22 AM
yeah,,,its really interesting,,,,,,,about 6 years ago i also shot my 1st harliquin duck,,,,,,,suppose to be a coastal duck,,,,,,but appearently a small handfull come inland here,,(tranquile creek) to breed,,,,,ill probably never shoot another one ever again in my life,,,,,,the wood duck population also growing pretty good around here to now,,,,but iv only shot 2 of those so far here,,,,,,and in last 4-5 years,,,we have been getting very small handfulls of snow geese,,,which is almost un-heard of here inland,,but either way,,,its a blast,,,,i love hunting the multi species,,,,its almost like a game in the blind,,,,wondering how many different species in 1 day a guy will see or harvest

labguy
12-09-2020, 12:01 PM
Most fun you can have with your cloths on. My first experience was sitting beside my father on a slough in southern Alberta at about 2 1/2 years old. Bulrushes rustling in the breeze and the whistling wings on a misty morning, the smell of the marsh and burnt gun powder. Addicted for life.

Got into dogs and hunting with them at about 12 years old and haven’t missed a season since. I’ve seen the prairie migration when the sky was literally 80% obscured with waterfowl in all directions and the noise was such you had a hard time hearing you partner sitting right beside you. One of the true wonders of the world.

Sitting in the truck right now spotting a bunch for tomorrow. Never tire of it.

B-rad
12-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Most fun you can have with your cloths on. My first experience was sitting beside my father on a slough in southern Alberta at about 2 1/2 years old. Bulrushes rustling in the breeze and the whistling wings on a misty morning, the smell of the marsh and burnt gun powder. Addicted for life.

Got into dogs and hunting with them at about 12 years old and haven’t missed a season since. I’ve seen the prairie migration when the sky was literally 80% obscured with waterfowl in all directions and the noise was such you had a hard time hearing you partner sitting right beside you. One of the true wonders of the world.

Sitting in the truck right now spotting a bunch for tomorrow. Never tire of it. im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning

mastercaster
12-09-2020, 04:20 PM
im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning

That's a good long wait until legal shooting time,,,,,close to an hour. I start to get antsy if I have to wait any longer than about 15-20 minutes. haha

Timed it perfectly late last week. We were all set up by 7:00, started shooting at 7:15 and 24 mallards later we were done at 8:05. It was our quickest hunt of the season,,,,,too damn quick, if you ask me! haha

https://i.imgur.com/siKws2L.jpg

B-rad
12-09-2020, 05:09 PM
That's a good long wait until legal shooting time,,,,,close to an hour. I start to get antsy if I have to wait any longer than about 15-20 minutes. haha

Timed it perfectly late last week. We were all set up by 7:00, started shooting at 7:15 and 24 mallards later we were done at 8:05. It was our quickest hunt of the season,,,,,too damn quick, if you ask me! haha

https://i.imgur.com/siKws2L.jpgawesome pic,,,,nice bag of birds,,,,,,yup,,,,its a bit of a wait till shooting time,,,,,,but id rather be all setup ready to go just before crack of light,,,,,usually by shooting time i have birds in the set loafing around by bang time,,,,,so there a good chance right at 7:22am ill be stirring up the birds from report of 1st gun shot

boilerroom
12-09-2020, 11:00 PM
im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning

I'd do the same B-rad - I'd be too excited to sleep so better to be out early and ready than sitting in the house trying not to wake up the missus. I need to wait a couple of years before I can get a dog - is it possible to do what you're doing without one?

B-rad
12-10-2020, 02:00 AM
I'd do the same B-rad - I'd be too excited to sleep so better to be out early and ready than sitting in the house trying not to wake up the missus. I need to wait a couple of years before I can get a dog - is it possible to do what you're doing without one? I have not used a dog for bird hunting in aprox 26 years,,,,,,,,,,i have a "U" belly boat i stash in the brush for the extreme cases of retreiving birds that are wounded and are wayyyy out to far past my chest,,,,,,i rarely ever use it though,,,,but better to be safe than sorry,,so easier to just bring/stash it,,,,,,,,,,,i mostly use a home made pole/hook,,,,,,,,i bought a used tent from a yard sale,,,,threw the tent out and kept the poles,,,,,,,,,,once the pole is together it gives me an extra 12 yards of reach past my chest depth of water,,,,,,best $5 i ever spent,,,,,,any new water i hunt i do a test walk to see how far out i can get in waders,,,,,and ill set deeks out accordingly,,,,then i know my shooting range

WWBC
12-10-2020, 09:21 AM
Are there still huntable numbers of ducks around later in December? Everything in region 5 is long since frozen over so I haven’t seen ducks in my area for a while. Is ice the limiting factor for ducks around Kamloops?

thanks

B-rad
12-10-2020, 04:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/N401XErl.jpg was a decent hunt this morning

B-rad
12-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Are there still huntable numbers of ducks around later in December? Everything in region 5 is long since frozen over so I haven’t seen ducks in my area for a while. Is ice the limiting factor for ducks around Kamloops?

thanks the waterfowl season closes well before all our huntable water freezes up,,,,,,depending on cold fronts,,,,,,usually mid january---end january ,,,,,,,,,then goose hunting opens up on March 1st--March 10th,,,,,and alot of the huntable water is well thawed again by then

mastercaster
12-10-2020, 06:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/N401XErl.jpg was a decent hunt this morning

Wow! Those ducks don't have a mark on them! You bringing them down with some kind of chemical warfare? Mine on the other hand, often looked like they've been in a war! Blood marks everywhere. haha

B-rad
12-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Wow! Those ducks don't have a mark on them! You bringing them down with some kind of chemical warfare? Mine on the other hand, often looked like they've been in a war! Blood marks everywhere. haha LOL,,,,,i ran over them with my belly boat,,,,,i didnt want them all bloody :))

silveragent
12-11-2020, 02:25 PM
You're selling me on your belly boat. How do you like it?

B-rad
12-11-2020, 08:53 PM
You're selling me on your belly boat. How do you like it? I love the belly "U" boat,,,,i swear by it,,,,,i weighed everything about it,,,,,the only bad thing is you cant be with a buddy unless he has one too,,,,,you can pack it anywhere you want,,,,hunting or fishing,,,,,and there is absolutely no limit where u can take it,,,,,you can buy really cheap blow ups you can tow on it,,,,the blow ups alone can carry 120 pounds,,,,,so there is not much of a limit on them,,,,,hunting or fishing,,,,,,,,,i have hunted ponds/sloughs,,,,,,,iv put 4 dozen duck deeks and 2 dozen goose deeks on an extra float,,,,,and thats easy peazy,,,well,,,if not fighting a current from a stream,,,,,,i soooooo reccomend a "U" boat to water bird hunters,,,if hunters dont have a dog,,,,,,it is definately worth visiting the worth of a solo boat

B-rad
12-11-2020, 08:57 PM
You're selling me on your belly boat. How do you like it? on a side note,,,,,i have also floated whitetail out with it,,,,accross 1 of my favorite ponds/sloughs in kamloops in late Oct,,,when thin layer of ice was covering,,,,,,trust me,,,it can do the job

3than
12-12-2020, 12:01 AM
on a side note,,,,,i have also floated 2 whitetail out with it,,,,accross 1 of my favorite ponds/sloughs in kamloops in late Oct,,,when thin layer of ice was covering,,,,,,trust me,,,it can do the job

Do you hunt out of the U boat or do you use it more for transportation and getting you to a hunt able spot?

B-rad
12-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Do you hunt out of the U boat or do you use it more for transportation and getting you to a hunt able spot? i have places where i hunt from it and other places its used for transportation,,,,,,this time of year though,,,,,its only used for grabbing waterfowl thats to deep to walk with my waders

boilerroom
12-12-2020, 02:56 PM
I love the belly "U" boat,,,,i swear by it,,,,,i weighed everything about it,,,,,the only bad thing is you cant be with a buddy unless he has one too,,,,,you can pack it anywhere you want,,,,hunting or fishing,,,,,and there is absolutely no limit where u can take it,,,,,you can buy really cheap blow ups you can tow on it,,,,the blow ups alone can carry 120 pounds,,,,,so there is not much of a limit on them,,,,,hunting or fishing,,,,,,,,,i have hunted ponds/sloughs,,,,,,,iv put 4 dozen duck deeks and 2 dozen goose deeks on an extra float,,,,,and thats easy peazy,,,well,,,if not fighting a current from a stream,,,,,,i soooooo reccomend a "U" boat to water bird hunters,,,if hunters dont have a dog,,,,,,it is definately worth visiting the worth of a solo boat

Sold! I've got a bellyboat for flyfishing and never thought of using it for retrieving. Using that and your extension pole idea just opened up a whole new hunt for me - thanks! Now I just need to get some decent dekes and i'm in business! Cheers, BR

Laurp99
12-12-2020, 03:09 PM
I was thinking about using my belly boat as well back in September, but being the wrong color it will probably scare the birds away unless I hide it with Camo somehow. :mrgreen:

https://gallery.flybc.ca/galleries/members/mantaray/Vancouver_area_Lakes/IMGP1004.jpg

silveragent
12-12-2020, 03:25 PM
What models do you recommend?

B-rad
12-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Sold! I've got a bellyboat for flyfishing and never thought of using it for retrieving. Using that and your extension pole idea just opened up a whole new hunt for me - thanks! Now I just need to get some decent dekes and i'm in business! Cheers, BR glad i could help,,,,,if u have any more questions id be happy to answer them

B-rad
12-12-2020, 04:15 PM
I was thinking about using my belly boat as well back in September, but being the wrong color it will probably scare the birds away unless I hide it with Camo somehow. :mrgreen:

https://gallery.flybc.ca/galleries/members/mantaray/Vancouver_area_Lakes/IMGP1004.jpg all you have to do is turn the belly boat upside down,,,,,,,the black bottom of boat will blend no problem in long grass//in shade//or behind brush

B-rad
12-12-2020, 04:17 PM
What models do you recommend? the only thing i recommend for a boat is as long as it is a "U" boat,,,,,makes life alot easier getting in/out of boat multiple times in the day

B-rad
12-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Sold! I've got a bellyboat for flyfishing and never thought of using it for retrieving. Using that and your extension pole idea just opened up a whole new hunt for me - thanks! Now I just need to get some decent dekes and i'm in business! Cheers, BR here is a pic of my home made extenda pole
https://i.imgur.com/1oGJm2nl.jpg

B-rad
12-12-2020, 04:47 PM
just an old tent pole,,,,,,duct tape,,,,,and i clipped the ends off of 4 plastic hangers,,,,,,worth it to have an extra 10--15 yards reach

mastercaster
12-12-2020, 05:52 PM
just an old tent pole,,,,,,duct tape,,,,,and i clipped the ends off of 4 plastic hangers,,,,,,worth it to have an extra 10--15 yards reach

Good example of how imagination is the mother of invention,,,,,,but I doubt if your tent poles are give you another 10-15 yards of reach. 30-45' is quite a lot! haha

Definitely a lot cheaper than getting a dog, plus the countless hours of training her/him but I can only carry on a conversation for just so long with my float tube. That being said, it looks like you've gotten it figured out! Well done.

Just the same I sure like having a dog to do the dirty work! :p lol

https://i.imgur.com/s2mddpJ.jpg

3than
12-13-2020, 02:27 AM
What models do you recommend?

Fishcat has some really nice U boats. I have a Caddis U boat that has worked for my fishing applications but I wouldn't say its that great.

silveragent
12-14-2020, 09:44 AM
thanks for the recommends. I'll be researching. I had my heart set on a fishing kayak but depending on the situation may be a bit overkill

3than
12-14-2020, 10:31 AM
thanks for the recommends. I'll be researching. I had my heart set on a fishing kayak but depending on the situation may be a bit overkill

Ive seen guys hunt out of kayaks as well. It actually seems like a pretty neat system i’ve seen people turn there kayaks into layout blinds. It seems to work quite well for them although i’ve never personally used one.

silveragent
12-14-2020, 10:59 AM
I like the idea of inflatables to get out there. Just wondering if lugging an inflatable kayak would be overkill vs one of these boats. Mind you I could get to more places in an inflatable kayak, just that the ones that are stable enough to stand in .. i.e. the fishing inflatables .. are a pretty penny over ones for touring and again way more expensive than just the float tubes. But then a kayak would be good just for general recreation and I can share it with my gf during summer

3than
12-14-2020, 12:10 PM
I like the idea of inflatables to get out there. Just wondering if lugging an inflatable kayak would be overkill vs one of these boats. Mind you I could get to more places in an inflatable kayak, just that the ones that are stable enough to stand in .. i.e. the fishing inflatables .. are a pretty penny over ones for touring and again way more expensive than just the float tubes. But then a kayak would be good just for general recreation and I can share it with my gf during summer

Ya that makes sense I think either or will serve you pretty well.

BowsUp
12-14-2020, 12:12 PM
Bought a 14' Sportspal to address access and retrieval. Have a cart for it to load decoys etc when the launch isn't close. Still working out the kinks of hunting tidal waters and rivers. Used to Pitt Polder and valley fields. Have a 12' tinnie and a glass 10'6" layout but local launches are a PITA for a boat and motor.

Canoe weighs around 50 lbs and is a breeze for the wife and I to throw around. Have loaded it by myself but it is a bit of a strain in my late sixties.

silveragent
12-14-2020, 02:31 PM
I'm a few years from my sixties but would love to keep my back in the same state as it is. Only reason I was thinking inflatable is that I am currently an apartment dweller so no place to store a non-inflatable. I know there are tons of options for solid boats if only I had a secure place for them that wasn't the top of my car ;)

Laurp99
12-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Bought a 14' Sportspal to address access and retrieval.

Canoe weighs around 50 lbs and is a breeze for the wife and I to throw around. Have loaded it by myself but it is a bit of a strain in my late sixties.

I was thinking of buying one of these Sportspal Canoes for next year's fishing/hunting season. https://westerncanoekayak.com/14-square-stern-w-wood-web-seats/

There are other options I'm currently looking at as well including some nice fishing Kayaks that would suit my needs but I'm leaning more towards the canoe.

I also have a folding Portabote, but the canoe would be perfect!

B-rad
12-15-2020, 10:54 AM
i like the belly "U" because of the versatility,,,,,,mine came with straps that i can carry it in strapped to my back like a back pack,,,,,,or it folds down to aprox the size of a duffle bag (deflated),,,,,,usually what i do is inflate my boat at the truck,,,,,,walk it in with all my gear,,,(so i dont have to carry pump),,,,,,then at end of day using it,,,,i completely deflate it and carry it out,,,,lots of buckles/straps built into boat,,,,so i just clip my fins and anything else directly to boat and carry it out as complete unit,,,,,then im not taking up extra carry space in my back pack,,i actually thought long and hard about a kayak,,,,but there a few places,,,,i hike into,,,,and a kayak just not as usable as a "U" boat,,,,,,,,but this is just my opinion,,,for my own personal needs

Ron.C
12-15-2020, 11:12 AM
I was thinking of buying one of these Sportspal Canoes for next year's fishing/hunting season. https://westerncanoekayak.com/14-square-stern-w-wood-web-seats/

There are other options I'm currently looking at as well including some nice fishing Kayaks that would suit my needs but I'm leaning more towards the canoe.
I also have a folding Portabote, but the canoe would be perfect!

I looked at the sportspal but ended up picking up an oldtown discovery solo this year. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. Downside is it can't carry as much as other canoes ( myself, dog, blind and 2 dozen decoys and she's full.

I took out the seat and can comfortably paddle on my knees. Very light, low profile and works like a hot damn as a floating layout. But one thing I've learned about waterfowling in my area over the last several years is one boat/canoe can't do it all. This little canoe is great for areas with low cover, too much water for a traditional layout or areas I just can't get my jon boat into.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe11.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe4.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jess51.jpg

B-rad
12-15-2020, 11:16 AM
I picked up an oldtown discovery solo this year. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. I took out the seat and can comfortably paddle on my knees. Very light, low profile and works like a hot damn as a floating layout.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe4.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jess51.jpg nice!!!,,,i love the way you blended that in,,,looks awesome

silveragent
12-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Great camo.. "be the log .. I am the log .."

Ron.C
12-15-2020, 11:22 AM
nice!!!,,,i love the way you blended that in,,,looks awesome

this is the canoe with the brushed in blind folded for transport( takes about 5 minutes to set up in the marsh) and decoys

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe5.jpg

silveragent
12-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Have you ever considered dragging a sled behind you on that to fit more decoys? Mind you I'm not one of those who thinks a large number of decoys is necessary, just a nice option.

Ron.C
12-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Have you ever considered dragging a sled behind you on that to fit more decoys? Mind you I'm not one of those who thinks a large number of decoys is necessary, just a nice option.

yep, considered it but heard paddling with something behind is a royal pain so never actually tried it.

B-rad
12-15-2020, 01:51 PM
if i know im gonna be using a huge spread,,,,,,,i use a ice fishing/snow sled i pile everything into and drag it in,,,,,,,,but thats not an everyday hunt for me,,,,,,only when i do a big spread of duck and goose deeks

mastercaster
12-15-2020, 03:50 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/canoe5.jpg

Did you put a layout blind in your canoe because it looks like the side flaps and the back rest of a layout in there?

Laurp99
12-15-2020, 06:05 PM
I looked at the sportspal but ended up picking up an oldtown discovery solo this year. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. Downside is it can't carry as much as other canoes ( myself, dog, blind and 2 dozen decoys and she's full.

I took out the seat and can comfortably paddle on my knees. Very light, low profile and works like a hot damn as a floating layout. But one thing I've learned about waterfowling in my area over the last several years is one boat/canoe can't do it all. This little canoe is great for areas with low cover, too much water for a traditional layout or areas I just can't get my jon boat into.

That Canoe looks quite nice and I really like that blind you have set up on it! I've checked it out on the website but I still can't find out how much it weighs, I reckon about 40lbs or so. When it comes down to making a purchase I'll seriously consider this model as well! I do a lot of fly fishing, I need something that can get me on the water nice and quick, having a lifetime warranty on the hull is a plus!

LeverActionJunkie
12-16-2020, 12:26 PM
RonC tell us more about your blind set up on the canoe! What a sweet set up, hides perfectly from the looks of things. Great idea.

Ron.C
12-16-2020, 01:28 PM
RonC tell us more about your blind set up on the canoe! What a sweet set up, hides perfectly from the looks of things. Great idea.

just re-purposed my old Cabelas Ultimate Layout blind. I bought this boat with the specific purpose of making a layout for use when there is to much water for my normal layout. I can also more effectively hunt rising and falling tides. The boat is just shy of 12' long and has a very low profile. It's very stable, only requires a few inches of water and a breeze to paddle. Only downside is it capacity. If I didn't have a dog, could easily pack about 3-4 dozen decoys.

Took a bit of screwing around, trial and error and if I was to do it again, could make it much better.

Cut the floor out of the old blind;

Re-purposed the factory Headrest Frame, it required a slight bend and slides nicely right into the rod holders in the boats rear cross member;

made a "u" shaped frame piece out of 1/2" EMT that slides into a pair of clamps I added just about 11" aft of the front cross member;

Removed the door clips from the original blind frame gun rest and installed them on this emt. The blind velcros to this at the front and becomes the gun rest" just as it does with the factory version;

The doors on the blind attach as they do on the factory blind;

The remaining blind material is just draped over the kayak and attached to the front with a small strap.( the blinds original internal mesh pockets and zippers are still functional for when I bring my jerk rig.

Bought a couple packs of marsh grass. Picked up some dye form fabricland and dyed the grass in carious greens and browns to match the cover in my hunting areas. Don't need to add a blade of real grass for cover.

Whole thing takes about 5 minutes tops to set up in the marsh. Pack up in about the same.

I made 4 spuds (1" x 36" dowel) that I can push into the mud and tie off to the boats cross members. Makes laying out in up to 30" of water very stable for my dog to jump in and out.

Hang the blind in my woodshed when I'm done to let it dry off as the fake grass I used can soak up some water

silveragent
12-16-2020, 01:55 PM
how do you waterproof the grass. Or rather, how do you maintain it so you don't have to get rid of it if it gets too messy. Speaking from experience I had grass for that purpose for a ghillie and a blind and it got so mucked up, not even a hose could save it.

Ron.C
12-16-2020, 02:01 PM
never waterproofed it just hang it after use. It doesn't get too dirty as its not down in the muck. Looks like it will easily last the season (used it on about 10 hunts so far) I'll re-apply where needed in the off season. One large pack of grass will be enough to completely brush it in probably 4-6 times.

LeverActionJunkie
12-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Dead a pair B-Rad! Nicely done.

if a guys got a couple decent spots the fowl can be bad around the valley right till the bitter end. Not a month of the year I don’t see at least some waterfowl here.

LeverActionJunkie
12-16-2020, 05:12 PM
just re-purposed my old Cabelas Ultimate Layout blind. I bought this boat with the specific purpose of making a layout for use when there is to much water for my normal layout. I can also more effectively hunt rising and falling tides. The boat is just shy of 12' long and has a very low profile. It's very stable, only requires a few inches of water and a breeze to paddle. Only downside is it capacity. If I didn't have a dog, could easily pack about 3-4 dozen decoys.

Took a bit of screwing around, trial and error and if I was to do it again, could make it much better.

Cut the floor out of the old blind;

Re-purposed the factory Headrest Frame, it required a slight bend and slides nicely right into the rod holders in the boats rear cross member;

made a "u" shaped frame piece out of 1/2" EMT that slides into a pair of clamps I added just about 11" aft of the front cross member;

Removed the door clips from the original blind frame gun rest and installed them on this emt. The blind velcros to this at the front and becomes the gun rest" just as it does with the factory version;

The doors on the blind attach as they do on the factory blind;

The remaining blind material is just draped over the kayak and attached to the front with a small strap.( the blinds original internal mesh pockets and zippers are still functional for when I bring my jerk rig.

Bought a couple packs of marsh grass. Picked up some dye form fabricland and dyed the grass in carious greens and browns to match the cover in my hunting areas. Don't need to add a blade of real grass for cover.

Whole thing takes about 5 minutes tops to set up in the marsh. Pack up in about the same.

I made 4 spuds (1" x 36" dowel) that I can push into the mud and tie off to the boats cross members. Makes laying out in up to 30" of water very stable for my dog to jump in and out.

Hang the blind in my woodshed when I'm done to let it dry off as the fake grass I used can soak up some water

Thanks for the breakdown on how you went about putting your blind together Ron. Very creative, functional and simple. Just what waterfowl gear needs to be. I was gonna ask the first time if you tied it to stakes or anchors to stabilize with the dog in and out. Sounds like you thought of that too.

I can think of many places a rig like that would be about perfect. You may have given some offseason inspiration. Thanks

Ron.C
12-16-2020, 06:59 PM
Slow morning this morning,,,,,2 better than none i guess,https://i.imgur.com/XYPlsEfl.jpg

love the color of the late season birds. Very nice

3than
12-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Nice Job! Beauty pair of mallards!

B-rad
12-17-2020, 04:58 AM
Dead a pair B-Rad! Nicely done.

if a guys got a couple decent spots the fowl can be bad around the valley right till the bitter end. Not a month of the year I don’t see at least some waterfowl here. yeah,,,,,i have some good spots,,,,always have birds come to the deeks every time i go out,,,,,,,,,,i had a potential 5 mallards,,,(3 drakes,,2 hens,,),,,,,,,but i totally had a horrible day shooting,,,,was just one of those days of wasted steel in the air,,,,,,gotta take the good shootin days with the misses,,,,,,,but got 2 for the bag

LeverActionJunkie
12-19-2020, 09:44 AM
Getting close to the end :sad: Hopefully you’ll have a few more good shoots. That wind yesterday had me wishing I was on one of my big water spots.

B-rad
12-21-2020, 10:27 AM
yeah,,,,,2 more days to go to the end of 2020 bird season,,,,,,hoping for 1 more kick at the bucket on closing day,,,,,so fingers crossed ill be on the water wed. morning,,,,,,then gotta wait tilll March 1st goose opener,,,,,hope all my fellow bushmen get in what they can before end of 2020 season

B-rad
12-22-2020, 07:44 PM
well,,,looks like thats it for my 2020 bird season,,,,,,,,was another awesome bird year,,,,,,hope everyone got out to enjoy at least a few bird hunts,,,,,,,,now to start my predator hunts,,,,,,and a few crow and magpie hunts,,(use feathers for fly tying),,,,,,ALOT of ice fishing,,,,,,then it will be March 1st goose opener before i know it,,,,,,,,,,then the count down to deer huntin starts all over,,,,,,,,,,i wish everyone a awesome Christmas,,,,and a happy new year,,,,,and hope everyone stays safe,,,,,,B-rad out