PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Jet Boat Advice

msawyer
12-07-2020, 05:27 PM
Hello all...

Last year I purchased a 16.5 foot inflatable jet boat powered by a Yamaha F40 jet outboard. It was a nice little boat but it did not meet my needs so I sold it and I'm now looking at buying a new boat before spring.

I am looking for a small boat that finds that mythical sweet spot between cost vs. size vs. fuel consumption vs. load capacity.

I'm thinking of a Sea-ark or Lowe welded Jon boat both with tunnel hulls powered by Yamaha F40, F60 or F90 outboard jets. My use will be mostly river traveling with a small amount of lakes, and some long distance boating (making fuel economy important). Typical loads will be 3 adults and gear and food for up to 4 weeks and possible a moose or two on the way out. I will not be using the boat for running extreme whitewater but do intend to use it on small rapids, choppy waves and rock gardens found on most wilderness rivers in BC and the far north.

One issue I am aware of is that these lighter Jon boats tend to have transverse rather than longitudinal structural framing, making the boat less rigid and less strong. But is this really an issue?

A manufactured Jon boat with a tunnel hull and the Yamaha F90 outboard jet will come-in fully decked out at about $15,000 less than going to a heavier welded aluminum hull...

So considering all of the above, to those of you who are experienced jet boaters, do you have any advice for me in terms of plan, and specifically the size of motor I am planning to use?

Thanks in advance...

emerson
12-07-2020, 06:02 PM
I had an O/B jet 18’ Crestliner. The bracing running across the hull takes a beating. The hulls are too thin also. O/B jets are not cheaper in the comparable power, and are inefficient by design. Heavy too. The load you say you want to carry will be very difficult to do efficiently even with a sport jet. If the boat is big enough it will be underpowered and inefficient. Unless those 2 other folks can kick in $15K apiece, plan for a wide bottom 15-17’ sport jet and gear like a semi comfortable backpack hunt for 2. I gave up preparing for hosting a crowd on hunting trips because I’m not rich enough.

ryanb
12-07-2020, 06:15 PM
What you are looking at will absolutely be unsuitable for your intended purpose. A small light built outboard jet is only suitable for light loads and short distances in gentle rivers. 3 adults, gear and food for 4 weeks, and a moose or two is 20-21 foot v8 jetboat territory... and even then you're REALLY pushing it.

What's your budget? I'd strongly suggest shopping the used market if used prices get more reasonable rather than buying another boat you won't be happy with.

Ride Red
12-07-2020, 06:16 PM
The amount of people, gear etc that you’re looking to pack vs fuel economy won’t work together. The idea of a light boat/outboard jet is meant for 2 people max and gear. If you plan to pack weight, plan on spending big dollars for a boat and a healthy fuel budget.
Figure out what you’re weight in is going to be; people, gear, fuel, tools, food etc, then find out what capacity the boat is you’re looking at.
On another note, running down a lake you’ll have to think about rough water/freeboard. On a river you have rough water, freeboard and our nemesis; rocks.

Cat catcher
12-07-2020, 06:38 PM
I was thinking of getting a 14 foot Jon boat with a 25hp jet now I’m re thinking it after reading this.
thanks

Ride Red
12-07-2020, 06:49 PM
I was thinking of getting a 14 foot Jon boat with a 25hp jet now I’m re thinking it after reading this.
thanks

My fly fishing boat is a 1448 mv with a 20hp Merc on it. With my gear and myself it fly’s. Add 2 more people and it’s a completely different boat. Still moves along fine, but I’m not packing a bunch of gear, fuel etc for x-amount of days.

msawyer
12-07-2020, 07:12 PM
All good thoughts Gentlemen...

So I have a couple of follow-up questions. Assuming I had an 18 foot near flat bottomed hull (ie Jon boat design) and I have 3 outboard motor options; Yamaha F40, F60 and F90 which deliver ~ 30 HP, 45 HP and 68 HP at the pump, for a total unloaded weight of 920 lbs, 960 lbs, and 1095 lbs respectively. Given these three options I guess the real question is how much cargo weight, all in (fuel, personnel and equipment) can each boat configuration option handle well? Once I get a sense of that I can work backward against my "objectives" to see which, or any, will work...

So again, your thoughts?

eric
12-07-2020, 07:16 PM
I have a 17 ft firefish with the 175 SJ, not near enough power for 4 people and gear for hunting, just cruising it works fine.
The last trip up the Muskwa, I had fuel dropped off at the mouth of the Tuchodi, as there were 4 of us, and we travelled very light, backpacks and freeze dried.
This yr, with just two of us,and a meduim sized Moose it was all that boat could do to get on step.
when this motor is done, I will repower with the ecoboost
You will need a much bigger boat like others have said..
Actually a person needs 3-4 boats...lol

Ride Red
12-07-2020, 07:18 PM
All good thoughts Gentlemen...

So I have a couple of follow-up questions. Assuming I had an 18 foot near flat bottomed hull (ie Jon boat design) and I have 3 outboard motor options; Yamaha F40, F60 and F90 which deliver ~ 30 HP, 45 HP and 68 HP at the pump, for a total unloaded weight of 920 lbs, 960 lbs, and 1095 lbs respectively. Given these three options I guess the real question is how much cargo weight, all in (fuel, personnel and equipment) can each boat configuration option handle well? Once I get a sense of that I can work backward against my "objectives" to see which, or any, will work...

So again, your thoughts?

Only you can answer that question. How much do you and your hunting partners weigh? What does your gear weigh? What does your food weigh? How many litres of fuel do you need? Extras weight? Add it all up, then you’ll know whether you have capacity or not.

msawyer
12-07-2020, 07:29 PM
Red Ride... understood. What I was asking is for each hull/motor combination, what would the maximum load be and still have decent performance? Once I know that I can figure it out based on my specifics.

Thanks

Ride Red
12-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Red Ride... understood. What I was asking is for each hull/motor combination, what would the maximum load be and still have decent performance? Once I know that I can figure it out based on my specifics.

Thanks

I’d look at 75-80% of your total weight capacity as the maximum if you want any performance. After that you probably won’t be planing anymore, just an underpower plow through the water. And I should add that this will be with the largest motor the boat is rated for.

My 18’ Firefish flies with just me in it too, add gear, people, extra fuel and it changes its handling quickly.(it’s an 8 degree bottom)

nature girl
12-07-2020, 07:37 PM
www.rebeljetboats.ca cranbrook
www.tinboats.net jon boats forum

ryanb
12-07-2020, 09:27 PM
With an 18 foot John and an f90 jet I'd guess you're looking at maybe 600 pounds max to get on step upriver. Factor in 200 pounds for fuel (won't get you very far) and 2x200 pound guys you're not packing any gear, let alone any animals. I've seen some small outboard jets up north. They're usually within an hour or two of the boat launch and packed very light... and usually begging for gas lol....

Drillbit
12-07-2020, 10:24 PM
I have 2 14' jet sleds.

A 1448 welded factory Jon with a Merc 25jet. Has 3 hours on it, total. It's pretty light. Handy for getting into rivers where there's no real launch. Only good for 2 guys. Hit a rock and she's going under.

My good one is a welded sled with a Yamaha 60-40. I keep everything polished and as tight of clearance as possible with a stainless impeller.
The bottom is 5'2" wide. No tunnel, big flat bottom.
It'll haul and atv easy with 20ga of gas, burns just under 5ga an hour.
It'll haul 3 adults easy with 20ga of gas.
I had 6 adults in it once and a big dog and it got up, but not easy at all.

2 guys and gear and it's perfect.

If I had the $ I'd get the same thing built at 18 or 20 feet long with a 115 yamaha tiller jet with a tunnel and pods. Or a Woolridge, they look good. I might need to one of these days, my 2 kids are starting to get too big for it.
https://i.imgur.com/c0rgTAQ.jpg

ryanonthevedder
12-07-2020, 10:41 PM
We have an 18' Wooldridge XtraPlus with a 150 Yamaha jet and its a great boat. Its built tough has the extra beef where it needs it and has the largest motor recommended.

With 4 adults, 300 lbs of gear, and 80 gal of fuel she is one heavy lady and I don't have much throttle left after it gets on step.

Whatever you do go with the largest possible motor.

My sister has a 14' with a 25 jet and it just plowed water with me and 4 moose quarters. I ended up just putting down the river to camp for over an hour, but I had enough tobacco and beverage to keep the boredom at bay.

Arctic Lake
12-07-2020, 11:40 PM
What about something like this ? Comments !
https://youtu.be/4-Yj99puHcI
Arctic Lake

Ride Red
12-08-2020, 05:26 AM
What about something like this ? Comments !
https://youtu.be/4-Yj99puHcI
Arctic Lake

Cool little boats, but they’re running one person per boat to keep weight down. Not all adults weigh the same. My two sons and I are rubbing 750lbs so you really need to watch what else your putting in the boat. Add 48 gallons of fuel in my two side tanks and I’m already over 1000lbs. Next is extra fuel to compensate for the longer trip, packs w/gear, rifles, food, tent/stove, etc and now you’re heavy. On return you’ll have less fuel but packing meat makes up the weight again. I’m surprised at what some people do pack along on these trips; looks like everything and the kitchen sink in camp.

emerson
12-08-2020, 11:45 AM
In my small experience I second the biggest motor you can get for the boat. Much more efficient to run at 3500 that 4500. Jet boating is measured in $$hundreds/day and $10K/yr when you get past 2 lean folks with light packs.

Arctic Lake
12-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Your reply makes sense. Bare with me . Wonder if these little jet boats would be good for shorter trips . What I’m getting at is have a base camp near river or lake go up river for the day back at night . Just thinking out loud .
Arctic Lake

Cool little boats, but they’re running one person per boat to keep weight down. Not all adults weigh the same. My two sons and I are rubbing 750lbs so you really need to watch what else your putting in the boat. Add 48 gallons of fuel in my two side tanks and I’m already over 1000lbs. Next is extra fuel to compensate for the longer trip, packs w/gear, rifles, food, tent/stove, etc and now you’re heavy. On return you’ll have less fuel but packing meat makes up the weight again. I’m surprised at what some people do pack along on these trips; looks like everything and the kitchen sink in camp.

browningboy
12-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Jet boats don't equal fuel economy, throw that out the window.. If you want to pack 2 moose and 3 guys you need horse power, a good jet (Hamilton or the new Scott), UHMW on the bottom, hull reinforcement and a set of balls! Going up river is one thing but a lot of people need to realize going down river you need to be going faster than the river to steer and on top of that knowing which braid you took!
It's an expensive hobby but addicting as heck, and last note it's not if you will crash, it's when...happens to everyone at one time!

tyreguy
12-08-2020, 03:07 PM
This is what my boat looked like on an August Tuchodi trip. i was actually light on fuel with about 575L and a summer trip so more relaxing trip
Boat burned average of 10 gal/hr on a sportjet 175 going up, light coming down with no game at about 6GPH. Normal running is about 5-7GPH
On my moose trip i had 6 more totes for a total of 800L of fuel. Fuel in Fort Nelson happened to be $144.9 on this trip year - $6.58/Gal
2 guys per boat MAX, your fuel in weight going in is your weight in meat coming out.
Word of advise, don't try to enter this jet boat hunting with a budget or try to do it cheap - it won't work too well and its dangerous for you - boating on a lake is easy but moving dirty water is a whole different ball game. Many many things to consider before you get on the water.

https://i.imgur.com/07cnN8d.jpg

xlcc
12-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Here's an 18ft. jon boat loaded with a moose and 2 guys.No matter what engine you have there is not enough room to carry the load you are talking about.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/b86JS6wZdyD1aidP7n1xCGNpptARGIr0OpNPkHZ4RFrdds85cp B21BxF_s-1VYtzCfaLLAX1yQleU3zBy1mzw0JMIi8zt7BF_MKOB9zDwkunU oGZmkElxByLlwpp2Cuy_NJp6U9tLRZtYtCEB4XKPH6Lr9_huy_ WQDQZEukGmQGwpOo0dUBwHmtuM6c7-wPyHgOiOWLOp3bhdlqnIeaiJ_Fgk2bIAN7YSNpRRIzbbjWHGag _ATsD4NVsNvKBeXxpPJvUSQod9PaBPpKoHqckFsw_7QThMDbp5 PfZsauIAHJJt9VBSqX8RgzGOkMK9hXTEXraJexsO6sw5tcNnzT OoAfiXK8VE3SJrSDzqk45brTgHjX9R31c5pAjuBtHJL5X_QDGY YB9uMvYaaVNYPo8d1keCirWcf7S3aFJIniMZ5Zi1OFkxQDLAoh db2Pp_DDd9vhztnPtwgXjuzSzSvtgJZYdxLvZcpQd7XOKhgxrq 2E5K9kn1E4ASFCKqCJJM5xbl95XTDumFhoo3Rcb_UF6yLIl9ub d_W4OMoFTVnntSWyDfxnbOoA3d31IvwHoAXbX6mRZBzlOWWfAS So0iYU0aeIrSZHw_-fx3N7foqMsQpyyD-ph1vyZss7RwMNWKhJoCnDysmbZaSX9WlGQxPkOJhwbK_HTbyX4 ubjt7z1gGE-LYvXiwh86cWi_L_OtsHA=w487-h649-no?authuser=0

Quesnel Kid
12-08-2020, 08:13 PM
You may have been on the right track with your inflatable. For your purpose a larger inflatable with a rigid floor might be the best bet. They can pack a tremendous load. Have you check out the Solar Boats?

fuzzybiscuit
12-08-2020, 11:01 PM
I’ve had a few jet boats over the last 8 years. Started with a 1448 Jon with a 25hp Merc jet. It did ok with 2 guys and could get a moose out of the water if packing light. Then I went to a Explorer 166 with a Yammy 115/80hp outboard jet. It was a great boat. Tons of room and could pack some serious weight and still get up on step. I packed my Honda 350 Rancher around on the back of it without issue, although only in a big, slow moving river. It was fairly quiet and good on fuel too. Should have never sold it but decided to get out of jet boating and build a buggy to get around up here in the Muskeg. A rear ago I bout a 12-1/2’ Solar tunnel hull inflatable with a Merc 25hp jet. Decent on fuel and can go through the skinniest of water but with 2 guys and some gear it couldn’t get a whole moose up out of the water this past season. Just made two trips to get it done.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0gsKcRt/C954-EA4-A-5-D82-48-EE-8-A36-F858-E6558-CA8.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/pr7hwH2F/2-FD7-CD98-C43-C-4784-A5-B9-2-DD9-EC7-E5-FD3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

fuzzybiscuit
12-09-2020, 06:40 PM
I’ve had a couple people PM me for details on my Solar inflatable tunnel jet. NR Motors in Prince George is now importing them so you don’t need to import one through Jetech LLP in Alaska anymore. I just set a buddy up with them and he managed to get a 420 tunnel jet with all the bells and whistles for a great price.

Darren Bell
NR Motors
https://www.nrmotors.ca/
Dbell@nrmotors.ca

Anyway, sorry for the derail...

bensonvalley
12-13-2020, 02:59 PM
What you’re proposing to buy is going to get destroyed and you won’t accomplish the type of trips you describe. Seriously, there’s a reason why most jetboat hunting is done using thick welded aluminum hulls with UHMW and either a V8 or a SJ, and also increasingly the small eco boost motors. I saw someone mention Hamilton or Scott, yeah they have great torque but hard to fix in the bush, like really hard. I wish my SD-309 had the short take off the Hami and Scott do but for the money, the bush “fixability”...I’ll take the extra boat length it needs to get up. The other thing to consider is if you can find a decent used V8 heavy duty jetboat you’ll likely sell it for what you paid for it if it’s in the 30-40k range.

Ride Red
12-13-2020, 03:08 PM
What you’re proposing to buy is going to get destroyed and you won’t accomplish the type of trips you describe. Seriously, there’s a reason why most jetboat hunting is done using thick welded aluminum hulls with UHMW and either a V8 or a SJ, and also increasingly the small eco boost motors. I saw someone mention Hamilton or Scott, yeah they have great torque but hard to fix in the bush, like really hard. I wish my SD-309 had the short take off the Hami and Scott do but for the money, the bush “fixability”...I’ll take the extra boat length it needs to get up. The other thing to consider is if you can find a decent used V8 heavy duty jetboat you’ll likely sell it for what you paid for it if it’s in the 30-40k range.

The SD309 is easy, pull the eight bowl bolts, move bowl/bucket assembly to the side and there’s your impeller. I could have mine apart in 15 minutes. Never needed to do a bush fix, but nice to know I could. I did have a stick jam sideways in the impeller between the vanes one year coming down Pitt Lake. Sure doesn’t take much to create vibration. That’s the one problem the 309 impeller has.

northof49
12-14-2020, 05:56 PM
17ft Wooldridge Alaskan with 200hp outboard jet just listed on facebook BC Boats for Sale. Located in Quesnel. Not mine but a good price if motor is solid.