PDA

View Full Version : Garmin inreach

jorick
12-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Garmin just increased the yearly fee to put your inreach on hold while you are not using it by $20.00, now $49.95 from $29.95

RyoTHC
12-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Guess if you only go outdoors during hunting season this is a problem ?

I don’t know about anyone else but mine stays active the entire year, who knows if I’ll need it quading snow shoeing ice fishing or any of the other various hobbies I enjoy.

sucks they raised the fee but it’s an invaluable service IMO !

blackwater
12-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Any company that decides a 70% increase is good customer service is suspect in my opinion. Going to yearly activation is probably a good idea...using a 70% increase to force people to do so is scummy way of treating customers. Sure makes me hesitate to continue with them...what would/will they increase next?

While I agree it has been a useful tool, it isn't one I would rely on 100%. My mini needs near perfect conditions and location to actually send a message. Just my opinion of course.

MichelD
12-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Yeah. I got that notce too.

todbartell
12-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Guess if you only go outdoors during hunting season this is a problem ?

I don’t know about anyone else but mine stays active the entire year, who knows if I’ll need it quading snow shoeing ice fishing or any of the other various hobbies I enjoy.

sucks they raised the fee but it’s an invaluable service IMO !

I've been only activating mine for Sept/Oct/Nov ( now $110 w/ annual "freedom" fee) but will switch mine now to the annual safety plan ($180)

Rustyb103
12-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Was looking at purchasing one of these as I have had a bit of experience with a friends in the field....
Is the Inreach mini still the best way to go - considering fees etc...? Basically just want a way to communicate with home / and for safety.
I will typically have my phone along with me. Appreciate your quick thoughts.

todbartell
12-05-2020, 02:35 PM
Rusty, take a look at the ZOLEO satellite communicators. Very similar to the inReach mini for what it does, and costs $200 less and the plans are starting at $25 a month which is similar to the inReach freedom plan ($20)

firebird
12-05-2020, 03:27 PM
I wrote back to Garmin and asked why said I didn’t think it was a fair increase. They said that the price hasn’t changed in 10 years etc. Havnt they only had the Inreach since they bought Delorme a few years ago?

firebird
12-05-2020, 03:28 PM
Garmin said

Thank you for Contacting Garmin Billing. We would like to address your concern regarding the Annual Program Fee price increase.
The Annual Program Fee covers the costs associated with allowing subscribers to maintain access to all of their data including their MapShare™ page, track points, messages and more for the full upcoming year, even if they suspend their service.

As a result of the current global pandemic, inReach has incurred price increases from its suppliers. With the best interest of our inReach subscribers in mind, Garmin opted to increase this yearly fee rather than monthly subscription prices.

inReach plan prices have not increased in nearly 10 years, and we must do so to continue providing best in class service to our customers worldwide.

If you would like to keep your inReach device active year-round for a lower monthly cost and no Annual Program Fee, you may switch to an Annual Plan. If you switch to an Annual Plan before your anniversary date, your credit card will not be charged the Annual Program Fee.

Hugh Mann
12-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Yeah, this is a big bag of bullshit. I'll have to run the numbers again, it may be almost as expensive now to have the option to suspend service. I know prior to the increase you'd save money if you suspended 3-4 months a year. Probably not now.

Still would highly recommend an Inreach. Hang the Mini, splurge for a 66I with back roads maps.

KBC
12-05-2020, 05:05 PM
I might switch to the yearly plan. I thought I would end up shutting it off for a few months a year at least but I've just kept it active year round. I've found there's at least a time or two a month it is nice to have. Even if you only drive a lot through BC it's nice to have since there are areas without cell service.

Aaron600
12-05-2020, 05:33 PM
Every company seems to be using Covid 19 as an excuse to increase costs and cut employees/salaries/bonuses. Just like the government uses it to implement bills they've wanted past for a long time. I just switched to the yearly plan.

todbartell
12-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Garmin just made millions

Stone C. Killer
12-05-2020, 06:44 PM
All their prices have gone through the roof since garmin took over from roadpost. My understanding is zoleo is roadpost and much cheaper. Sucks me and all my hunting partners use these inreaches operated my garmin with prices going up

dawsonhunter
12-05-2020, 09:55 PM
I don't like the fact that they increased the prices but i wouldn't be without mine. It still figures out to be one of the cheapest pieces of my hunting gear, in the summer when we go on holidays we use it to keep in touch with the kids. We don't turn ours off and will continue use it,just my 2cents

Rustyb103
12-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Rusty, take a look at the ZOLEO satellite communicators. Very similar to the inReach mini for what it does, and costs $200 less and the plans are starting at $25 a month which is similar to the inReach freedom plan ($20)

Toddbartell - big thanks for this advice — will check this system out for sure.

Bugle M In
12-06-2020, 12:36 PM
I like my gps as cell reception is not always possible.
As far as InReach, that is for you to decide.
But then again, Sat phones cost way more.

jimzuk
12-06-2020, 10:22 PM
Just changed to an annual plan. I use mine all the time now when ever I go out

walker1985
12-07-2020, 09:12 AM
just received an email from garmin telling me they're bumping up the annual fee from $30 to $50

jamfarm
12-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Once Starlink is up and running our InReach devices will be obsolete.

crazybushcreature
12-07-2020, 10:22 AM
I pay monthly with my inreach. I pay 39.95 per month.
I have the Discover plan. Unlimited SOS. Unlimited preset messages. Unlimited tracking. And 100 messages. I may not use it all the time but I just keep it going because I never know when I'm going to use it and I don't feel like logging on to try and change my plan every time I think I'm going to be using it more.

Huntingtyler123
12-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Ya I just keep mine running all year, 16.95 a month. Always end up using it on the odd occasion. I forgot to activate it once and I was already out of service so it ended up being a waste