PDA

View Full Version : Light weight .22 advice

Funeral Of Hearts
12-01-2020, 09:21 PM
My 11 year old daughter had a blast plinking targets and joining me on a few grouse hunts this year. She can shoot my savage mkii .22 but its a bit heavy for her to shoot without a bit of support (sitting and stabilizing her arm on her knee).

Any recommendations for a light weight .22? Something that will last her as she grows?

Firstblood
12-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Little badger 22 is a great little unit for kids and adults alike. Its 3 pounds, toss a small red dot on top and its a grouse killer. I take mine every time I go big game hunting and it sits in my pack with some subsonics for when I see small game on a big game hunt.

Stainless
12-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Savage Rascal. No brainer. Single shot, bolt action, comes with a peep but can mount scope or red dot on it with hardware kit. Comes in a few colours. Great gun and I'll never get rid of mine.

Drillbit
12-01-2020, 10:12 PM
11 is getting tall for a Rascal tho. But they are nice and light and small. Best out of all the little kid guns I've tried.

A nice one that handles nice and is surprisingly light is a Browning T-bolt. Mine is a synthetic 22mag, I bet a 22lr is even lighter.
Nice accurate rifle

Browning BLR-22 micro midas is another one my kids like. I put a Burris fastfire III on it with the MaddMacs low mount.
https://i.imgur.com/txOSL0H.jpg

Funeral Of Hearts
12-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Ya ive seen the rascals, she will grow out of that too fast. Shes fairly tall for her age (takes after her dad).

Beachcomber
12-02-2020, 12:23 AM
Little badger 22 is a great little unit for kids and adults alike. Its 3 pounds, toss a small red dot on top and its a grouse killer. I take mine every time I go big game hunting and it sits in my pack with some subsonics for when I see small game on a big game hunt.

I was looking at one of those a couple of weeks ago. Very tempting.

dino
12-02-2020, 07:51 AM

I do the exact same thing, in fact i now own a few. Taking a grouse ,rabbit or even just target practice. Love it

RambleOn
12-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Take a look at the Henry Mini Bolt. 3.25lbs stainless/synthetic high quality little single shot.

Funeral Of Hearts
12-06-2020, 10:22 PM
Looked at a few different models. Think im going to go with a Winchester Wildcat... seems decent.

MOOSE MILK
01-12-2021, 01:24 AM
Marlin "Papoose" take down rifle, light and accurate great plinker and grouser.

walks with deer
01-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Ya ive seen the rascals, she will grow out of that too fast. Shes fairly tall for her age (takes after her dad).

weird i am 6-1 180 and have not grown out of stealing my kids rascal.
e

Ride Red
01-12-2021, 08:10 AM
My 11 year old daughter had a blast plinking targets and joining me on a few grouse hunts this year. She can shoot my savage mkii .22 but its a bit heavy for her to shoot without a bit of support (sitting and stabilizing her arm on her knee).

Any recommendations for a light weight .22? Something that will last her as she grows?

Keep using your gun and get her a set of shooting sticks. Light, adjustable and easy to store.

chris
01-12-2021, 09:27 AM
My 9 year old shoots my marlin xt bolt action .22.
He shot the rascal a bit but we had major problems with misfires. I like that they are made to fit the kids but if they don't work well then the kids get frustrated.

RDJ
01-13-2021, 03:10 PM

I recommend you stay with the current rifle and teach her how to use a shooting stick (Primos). She can use it at current age and as she grows and develops, shooting stick can be used for heavier calibers later when the .22 is no longer too heavy. Alternatively, a Ruger 10/22 takedown with Magpul Backpacker stock is a good option weight wise.

Downwindtracker2
01-13-2021, 03:14 PM
Cooey Model #39. It's pretty accurate if my grandson's shooting is any judgement.

guntech
01-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Don't worry about growing out of a small rifle.

I cut down a .22 Anschutz so it had an 18 inch barrel and a 12 inch length of pull for gopher hunting. It worked so well shooting out of the truck... you could scrunch up into any position and with a 6 power scope I hardly missed one out to 125 yards... you can always shoot a short stock, but too long is awkward.

Johnny G1
01-15-2021, 04:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with a Nylon 66, light weight and lots of back up bullet's.

wallz
02-02-2021, 12:12 PM
I had a youth model marlin for the kids. Great little bolt action. Recently sold it tho, as the kids are now enjoying the 10/22. Have a collapsible stock with a lighter carbon barrel I put together in a take down model. They use it more than me now and I need to wait my turn. 50 yrd head shots on grouse, with a decent light leupold scope.
An idea for the stock, that also carries 2 extra magazines with you.
https://www.aztecharmory.com/adaptive-rug1022-p-41269.html?OBNsid=ar95osr9s7md8ck4gija8nf741

kevster
02-09-2021, 08:04 PM
11 is getting tall for a Rascal tho. But they are nice and light and small. Best out of all the little kid guns I've tried.

A nice one that handles nice and is surprisingly light is a Browning T-bolt. Mine is a synthetic 22mag, I bet a 22lr is even lighter.
Nice accurate rifle

Browning BLR-22 micro midas is another one my kids like. I put a Burris fastfire III on it with the MaddMacs low mount.
https://i.imgur.com/txOSL0H.jpg

Did you mount an optic on that? I have one as well and can't seem to find concrete info on the best sights for that rifle. 30mm rings?
Edit / Delete