PDA

View Full Version : rodents in a wall tent

VI Blacktails
12-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Was moose hunting in a wall tent this year in the middle of October.First night was quiet and slept well.Second night there was a bit of a wind storm and we learned why people use a long stove pipe as the wind blew the smoke back into the tent a few times.So near daylight a feel a new weight on my legs.Then I feel it has hopped up farther.The next hopp it was on my ass so all in one motion I kick him off.As it is dark I try to figure out which way I kicked it and realize I did kick it to the open side and not the side my son his friend and dad are sleeping.So I go back to sleep after stating that there had been a rodent on me. Next morning we get up and my buddy is getting the fire going and says what the hell was that.He then says he thinks a chip munk just ran thru his legs. So the next night after everyone has fallen asleep I hear a noise and say did you hear that to my son.He says yes so I turn on my flashlight and we see it.We both say look and say what is that and look how big it is.It jumps down and runs straight towards us and goes underneath my cott.We are both yelling and bannging on my cott.2 hours later he is back.This time my son's buddy is waken as well.Flash light on again and he runs under my cott again.this time buddy is banging my cott.We all agree we won't be able to sleep again till he is gone.My son grabs a axe his buddy grabs a long steel flashlight.A hour goes by and he returns.Everybody is ready I turn the flashlight on and he is right below me so I pit lamp him and yell he is right there.My son see's him and throws the axe and hits the critter it does a flop and starts to do the funky chicken.I grab the axe and he jumps back up and does a jump towards the flashlight.Buddy comes flying across snd gets a shot in on the critter.It nocks it down and I am able to finish it off with the axe.The critter was a large pack rat.We were able to sleep again if anybody has any stories please post

264mag
12-01-2020, 04:56 PM
Rodents in wall tents and floorless shelters are a legitimate hassle. I used to bring rat traps and would catch pack rats, mice, voles etc.
I have a wall tent listed on here that has a full bathtub floor, awesome with no bugs or rodents.

Fella
12-01-2020, 04:57 PM
Few years back my buddy and I were spring bear hunting, my dad and one of his buddies came along to fish on the lake we were at. Night time comes, we all settle in to sleep and soon after the last headlamp goes out we hear scurrying. I turn my headlamp on and look at my buddy, he’s all bundled in and he’s looking at me with an annoyed expression and there’s a friggin mouse just sitting on his head staring at me.

whitlers
12-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Hahaha yup mice in the wall tent is a yearly occurrence. Had one bite me once when I grabbed him by the tail to throw him out the door. Stupid little things

BRvalley
12-01-2020, 05:15 PM
I think it's just part of the experience, keeping a tidy tent with no food or crumbs left out will help...but mostly I just pull down the toque and zip up the bag, sleep through it.....the dog will usually catch one or two and then they seem to smarten up a bit

I sleep in the back of the truck a lot in the early season, and in a few of my spots the porcupines are a big issue! I have a lot less tolerance for big rodents chewing on my truck, then I do for the little buggers crawling on me in the tent hahaha

albravo2
12-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Like mosquitoes, they seem to be part of the hunting landscape. I swear pack rats get lonely and seek human company.

I find a clean trailer makes a big difference.

Lucky for me, one of my hunting buddies is a really light sleeper so he is on critter patrol all night. I usually manage a pretty good sleep.

Citori54
12-01-2020, 05:48 PM
One year we had a determined mouse that kept coming into the tent at night. He destroyed the foam in my motorbike helmet, chewed my brother's boot liners and made a nest out of a roll of TP. My brother ground up some Tylenol 3's that he had. In the morning all of it was eaten and no more mouse problem.

moosinaround
12-01-2020, 05:49 PM
I make one of these!
https://youtu.be/pMZaJZ6x3bA

I fill my bucket with water! Best night was 6 of them. No more mice in the kitchen or tent! Moosin

Stone Sheep Steve
12-01-2020, 06:03 PM
I make one of these!
https://youtu.be/pMZaJZ6x3bA

I fill my bucket with water! Best night was 6 of them. No more mice in the kitchen or tent! Moosin

We were camping this past April. Not far from home as Covid rules just hit.

After the first night I had to run home and make that trap.

The next morning there was a dozen mice in there!
I think we caught 25 in a couple days.
No wall tent. We were in our 26’ trailer.

srupp
12-01-2020, 06:11 PM
Hmm on the Teslin river over 25 in 1 nite..
This year killed one with poison..a BOONER.
5 WITH new plastic mouse traps..
One mouse tail..
None in the main part of travel trailer all in roof system..
Only second series of events in 21 years in travel trailer use.9 years apart both on same road.?
Grrrr
Hate mice..
Srupp

DR.DOUG
12-01-2020, 06:12 PM
Worst year with mice had 76 take the plunge. Had the little buggers piled a foot high in the bushes

Ron.C
12-01-2020, 06:17 PM
Lol, this thread brings to mind the vermin dining scene of Farley Mowats "Never Cry Wolf"

albravo2
12-01-2020, 06:32 PM
I'd leave one of those five gallon pails in the kitchen tent but I don't really want to listen to them swimming around until they die in the sleeping quarters.

markt308
12-01-2020, 06:36 PM
My crew often recalls the year that pack rats tried to overrun our wall tent. Some good laughs.
we now have a solid supply of traps in our tent bay that get set if needed. They have been a great solution

Norwestalta
12-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Classic hunting story. This is what it's all about. The trials and tribulations that make one laugh for years following. They usually start out " do you remember the time".

swampthing
12-01-2020, 07:37 PM
I got in a scrape with a rat just a few years back. I had headed in for a late season muley hunt and although I had my wall tent I chose to stay in a small cabin that was in the area. It had signs of mice or rats in it when I arrived. I cleaned it up best I could and set up in it. That night I was awoken with something running across me while I was sleeping on my cot. The headlamp showed a bushy tailed wood rat! I jumped after him chasing him around the cabin with a piece of firewood. He escaped through a hole in the wall. The next day I blocked that hole with a board I found. That night I lit the stove in the cabin and it was so hot I couldnt sleep. I opened the door and was able to sleep then. I awoke later to a very cold cabin and closed the door. As I tried to go back to sleep I heard rustling. The rat was back! I had a firewood supply of ammo by my cot and a barrage of airborne firewood was deployed at the fast moving varmit!! He kept running back to the hole I had blocked. I realized then he had came in through the open door that when I closed it I had trapped him inside! A quick chase with an open door had him out and gone!

Downwindtracker2
12-01-2020, 07:44 PM
I find I have more problems if I camp at a campsite, like a recsite, than if I camp out in the bush.

Bigdoggdon
12-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Yup, I concur with the bucket trap, never need to reset, catches mice all nice every night. I bait with peanut butter. Remember to put your food away, the little *******s can fly, no problem getting up on top of a counter or table and they shit on everything. Just don't let the mice pile so high in the bucket that other mice can use the to stand on and jump out. And don't dump the dead mice where they will attract predators to the campsite, remember someone else might wanna use that site after you leave and a bunch of rotting mice might bring in bears, Don't leave your hides there too for that matter.

longwalk
12-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Always get mice in the wall tent. Usually set half a dozen traps before i hit the sack. One year had a problem with chipmunks.

mpotzold
12-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Never had mice/rat problems while tenting including long periods in the Yukon. In general sleeping & cooking tents were separate.
But almost all the old trapper’s cabins/shacks I/we stayed in while camping/hunting/working had rodent problems especially in the middle of the night. Had them even running over our heads.

Check post #22-rat nest on the battery-was lucky the wires were all intact. The NL camper is rat/mice proof.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?143066-Rodents-in-engine-compartment/page3&highlight=rats+vehicles

Traps in tents/cabins using peanut butter work well –they will also catch squirrels/chipmunks or other small rodents.

Here’s rat infested gang cabin by Gaspard Lake-see post #26
Not to worry-stayed in the camper.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?103986-chilco-choate-film/page3&highlight=gaspard+lake+photos
(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?103986-chilco-choate-film/page3&highlight=gaspard+lake+photos)
(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?103986-chilco-choate-film/page3&highlight=gaspard+lake+photos)
Note- if you have tent problems with rodents-check your vehicle engine/battery compartment regularly.

Keta1969
12-01-2020, 08:59 PM
We left a ranch in region 3 once after a few days hunting. I was driving my sons truck and when we stopped for gas popped the hood so he could check the oil. My other 2 boys and I wondered what the hell when he jumped back and said there is a squirrel in there. We got out and looked for a bit but because we were worried about missing a ferry shut the hood on him and took off. We were running late so drove hard over Duffy and just got on the ferry. We were laughing about what a ride the critter must have had and if he was still with us. I popped the hood and there he was kind of singed and confused looking. I grabbed his tail to flip him overboard and the tail broke off and he dove back into the engine leaving a little broken tail blood trail Now we all got out and started poking around and a ferry worker came along. He got real panicky that if it came out and got loose he might get shit. We never did get it out and the ferry worker kept his job. So if anyone has seen a bushy tail woodrat(we googled it) north of Nanimo I guess we're to blame.

srthomas75
12-01-2020, 09:25 PM
For a number of years in a row I moose hunted near Chetwynd. August/September Most of those years we stayed in a wall tent that was 16' x 17'. There was always mice around but never too many to be a big issue. you would hear them as soon as you turned out the lights running over the wood pile etc.. Some of us were sleeping on wooden bunk beds and a couple were on low rise cots off to the side. As a prank my buddy put a full unsliced loaf of bread under the head area of Jeremy's cot that night. In the morning he said he could hear mice all night long. The loaf of bread looked like a large block of swiss cheese it had so many holes in it.

Salix
12-01-2020, 09:32 PM
After a weekend of no sleep because a mouse was in the camper one hunting trip I purchased mouse traps that stay with the hunting gear. Probably have 8-10 traps now.
Every year I set the “trap line” around the tent and camp site. There are nights that I catch up to a dozen mice. The whiskey jacks love the pile of dead mice left for them each morning.
The best was one year a pack rat got into the wall tent. A bunch of grown men squeezing like little girls.

Drillbit
12-01-2020, 10:50 PM
Funniest one by far was a packrat in camp. Annual fishing trip with a dozen buddies.

We all had potato guns. Makes the lake fishing a little more interesting when you're hearing the "cannons roar" haha

Anyways, the packrat was spotted in camp and to say it was a scramble for the bag of spuds is kind of an understatement.
When the rat appeared on the grill of the open countertop BBQ, the Cannons Roared!

The first spud hit the rat CX, right in the chest and the spud slammed the bbq closed and carried the BBQ right off the picnic table!
A few of the other shots missed, a few hit the bbq laying on the ground, and a few were saved for the "double Tap".
It wasn't needed

We still laugh about that one

Salty
12-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Vaguely remember a story about my dad and a couple buddys sleeping in a small one room dirt floor cabin on a hunting trip. I guess one of them spotted a pack rat climbing along a wall just before he was asleep and pulled out the 44 magnum wheel gun and shot it. He was on the shit list for a while their ears were ringing for the rest of the next day. There may have been quite a bit of whiskey involved. ..

Wagonmaster
12-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Someone left an outside cupboard door open at the back of the trailer one night and a pair of mice got in. A nightmare trying to sleep for a couple of nights because we couldn't catch them. They just ran along the back walls of the cupboards which were all connected and up into the guts of the stove. They made a nest in one cupboard using parts of the cloth handles of my fly fishing bag. Eventually herded one into a corner on the counter and I leapt up and hammered him with a bread board. Unfortunately, I had to straddle my son's head to get in position, so the cojones were dangling a few inches from his face. He was scarred for life (even though he was in his 30's at the time). The second one ran out the open door the next morning.

two-feet
12-03-2020, 09:18 PM
We had a moose camp set up by Damsumlo Lk, the place was infested with mice. The first night we all had trails of droppings down the sides of our cots. We turned a tote into a bucket trap and watched them just pile in, as we sat around the fire with willow sticks killing them as they crawled over everything. Took 50 -60 mice out of there over 3 days, by the end it wasnt too bad.

bensonvalley
12-04-2020, 06:35 PM
After a weekend of no sleep because a mouse was in the camper one hunting trip I purchased mouse traps that stay with the hunting gear. Probably have 8-10 traps now.
Every year I set the “trap line” around the tent and camp site. There are nights that I catch up to a dozen mice. The whiskey jacks love the pile of dead mice left for them each morning.
The best was one year a pack rat got into the wall tent. A bunch of grown men squeezing like little girls.
Some were squealing, I wasn’t!!

Squamch
12-05-2020, 07:19 AM
I spend a few nights every year in a back country cabin. I was up there with a friend who had never been there last spring, and woke up to see a nest of mice behind the poly sheeting right in front of my nose.
I was able to bring my long range mouse rifle up to my side, and successfully bagged 2 of the 3. The 3rd was wounded by a pass through, and recovered later that morning after a tracking job.
https://i.postimg.cc/KYJqMDcX/20200530-081713.jpg

Beautiful coats on them after the winter. 6 or 7 more and I'd have had enough for a nice fur lined banana hammock.

For those interested, my kit was adidas slides, bench boxer briefs, smartwool merino hiker socks. Shooting a Crossman 760 loaded with copperhead BBs at 10 pumps. Range was approximately 2" for the first shot since they were bedded, out to about 26-27" for follow ups. I took the shot from a kneeling position.

Elkaholic
12-05-2020, 07:52 AM
I spend a few nights every year in a back country cabin. I was up there with a friend who had never been there last spring, and woke up to see a nest of mice behind the poly sheeting right in front of my nose.
I was able to bring my long range mouse rifle up to my side, and successfully bagged 2 of the 3. The 3rd was wounded by a pass through, and recovered later that morning after a tracking job.
https://i.postimg.cc/KYJqMDcX/20200530-081713.jpg

Beautiful coats on them after the winter. 6 or 7 more and I'd have had enough for a nice fur lined banana hammock.

For those interested, my kit was adidas slides, bench boxer briefs, smartwool merino hiker socks. Shooting a Crossman 760 loaded with copperhead BBs at 10 pumps. Range was approximately 2" for the first shot since they were bedded, out to about 26-27" for follow ups. I took the shot from a kneeling position.

That is some good stuff right there HAHAHAHA.

hunter1947
12-05-2020, 10:46 AM
I have pack rats and field mice in my camp surrounding area ,,I trapped 9 field mice that were in my friends westwoods tent trailer I used a rat trap cheese on the trigger ,,I also trapped two pack rats using the snap tap with cheese on the trap ,,peanut butter is to soft to put on the trigger they get the peanut butter off without springing the trigger the cheese is hard and the rodents have to pull at the cheese in order to eat it..