PDA

View Full Version : Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

MRP
11-30-2020, 01:19 PM
https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/man-fined-for-hunting-with-a-drone-1.24247730

Good to see.

RICKADY
11-30-2020, 01:23 PM
Guess he got what he deserved, that's not hunting!

MOOSE MILK
11-30-2020, 04:09 PM
There is a lot of stuff that goes on that is "not hunting"...example, baiting deer, elk and moose. Also using trail cams to pin point time and place instead of using your feet and eyes, I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference. People are using technology more and more, range finders, wind gages to help you shoot at greater distances. Soon they will be putting GPS tracking devices on Bo Winkle's neck to help bag yer critter!!!

Brew
11-30-2020, 04:55 PM
I wonder how the hunting shows get away with filming their hunts with drones?

im all for not being allowed to use a drone for hunting but just having one in your vehicle while hunting seems a little much. He must have had some incriminating evidence on his camera roll.

if I had a cell phone trail cam in my truck while hunting is that considered using one?

Ubertuber
11-30-2020, 05:29 PM
The Casatnet article says the CO's determined he used the drone for hunting. Filming your cabin is one thing, using it for hunting is another.

"The outcome stems from a complaint conservation officers received on Sept. 22, 2018. The next day, officers attended a cabin on Marie Lake, southwest of Fort St. James, where they seized the drone along with a harvested bull moose. After securing a search warrant, they gathered photos and videos showing he had been using the drone to hunt."
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-317829-3-.htm#317829

(https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-317829-3-.htm#317829)

Modeltwelve
11-30-2020, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Brew;

if I had a cell phone trail cam in my truck while hunting is that considered using one?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I think it could be based on the above news article.

Bigdoggdon
11-30-2020, 07:29 PM
As far as I read in the regulations it states you can't use a drone for hunting, it doesn't say that you can't have one in your possession. Also, at what point am I hunting? When I'm in the woods? Whether I'm in possession of a firearm or not? It sounds like it could be a slippery slope akin to the police handing out fines for using your cellphone while driving just because you have one in your car.

markt308
11-30-2020, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Brew;2213624]I wonder how the hunting shows get away with filming their hunts with drones?

I have called out a few guys on YouTube over this too. Literally filming their camp and then flying over the mountains nearby. Or using the drone filming them hiking a ridge. You wanna tell me you’re just getting shots for your YouTube channel with 40 subscribers? Then you happen to see a big buck/bull during the flight and you want me to believe you wouldn't go after it? Not a chance haha. I reckon nobody should have a drone while on a hunting trip, period

Stresd
11-30-2020, 09:19 PM
As far as I read in the regulations it states you can't use a drone for hunting, it doesn't say that you can't have one in your possession. Also, at what point am I hunting?

33. To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition

Ghilliesuit
11-30-2020, 09:55 PM
Ergo: you can fly the drone before sunset, process the information and go out at legal first light. (Some conditions apply)

Kill-da-wabbit
11-30-2020, 10:18 PM
Straight out of the regulations.

Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at, attracting, SEARCHING FOR, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, WHETHER OR NOTthe wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured: (a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or (b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

It is unlawful to:
33. To operate, POSSESS or use information that a drone obtains during, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition.

I guess rule 33 could be interpreted as possesion of the drone, or possession of the information. Like the difference between helping your buddy, Jack, off a horse...

HarryToolips
11-30-2020, 10:35 PM
There is a lot of stuff that goes on that is "not hunting"...example, baiting deer, elk and moose. Also using trail cams to pin point time and place instead of using your feet and eyes, I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference. People are using technology more and more, range finders, wind gages to help you shoot at greater distances. Soon they will be putting GPS tracking devices on Bo Winkle's neck to help bag yer critter!!!
I don't like the idea of wireless trail cameras but other than that, it's not the same as using a drone, as a drone can help you pinpoint game from above and at the time you are out in the field, whereas a regular T cam or bait may tell you times they are coming out but rarely are the times actually consistent, day to day...

Baconator
11-30-2020, 10:35 PM
Guess he wasn't native. Otherwise the commies would have called it traditional hunting methods. Just like a 30/06, million candle power jack light and snowmobile. What a crock of shit.

Gun Dog
11-30-2020, 10:40 PM
Filming a hunting show doesn't happen in isolation. There's an entire crew present and if the producer and camera crew isn't sharing information with the show star then it's all good. If the producer has their little legal ducks in a row a CO would have difficulty proving there's any sharing happening. "Directing", yes. "Sharing", no.

Downtown
11-30-2020, 11:44 PM
I am all for Fair chase hunting but it seems to me, A that this Rule (no Drones while hunting) has been poorly written and B this Guy had a incompetent Lawyer.

Cheers

TDHunter
12-01-2020, 05:54 AM
Love it , got what they deserve. "Oh I was just looking for trails" ....................sure you were.

pg83
12-01-2020, 01:50 PM
Love Hunting, love flying my drone. Never do them on the same trip.

As mentioned above, the regs are pretty clear and while it may be slightly inconvenient to drone enthusiasts who also happen to be hunters, it's a totally legitimate regulation. "I didn't know" is not acceptable as an argument, regardless of whether or not a person has any drone footage in their possession.

elknut
12-01-2020, 02:08 PM
The guide outfitters have been using airplanes forever to search for game ..They too should be stopped ..As far as drones for hunting Im against it ..Fair chase ..Dennis

xlcc
12-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Drones and trail cams.Same difference.If you are not there you are not hunting.

elch jager
12-02-2020, 01:11 PM
On our moose hunt in 7-35, I stopped to chat with some local gas workers that were doing some large scale terracing of a slope. Really nice folks. One of the crew offers to show me some drone footage of a very very large bear that has been interfering with some of their work about 6 hundred yards downslope from where we were standing. As we looked at the video and are pointing down toward the area... yep... the big ******* strolls out and starts munching his way into view. It was very tempting to put a stalk on him... I really badly want a big rug for the man cave.

They asked if I had a bear tag and would I be interested in removing him. Although I also wanted to do them the favour of removing the bear, I politely declined. Mostly because I didn't want to take the time away from locating a moose. But also because I had just watched the video.

Incidentally, he also had footage from several days previous of a couple bulls nearby. These I declined to even look at...

Ghilliesuit
12-02-2020, 02:02 PM
On our moose hunt in 7-35, I stopped to chat with some local gas workers that were doing some large scale terracing of a slope. Really nice folks. One of the crew offers to show me some drone footage of a very very large bear that has been interfering with some of their work about 6 hundred yards downslope from where we were standing. As we looked at the video and are pointing down toward the area... yep... the big ******* strolls out and starts munching his way into view. It was very tempting to put a stalk on him... I really badly want a big rug for the man cave.

They asked if I had a bear tag and would I be interested in removing him. Although I also wanted to do them the favour of removing the bear, I politely declined. Mostly because I didn't want to take the time away from locating a moose. But also because I had just watched the video.

Incidentally, he also had footage from several days previous of a couple bulls nearby. These I declined to even look at...

If the footage is more than six hours old, why not?

"

To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition."

pg83
12-02-2020, 02:46 PM
If the footage is more than six hours old, why not?

"

To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition."

If you're on your hunting expedition it's probably best not to look at any drone footage from the area you are hunting in period. There may be some loophole to exploit here but why bother? Just go hunting instead!

Gun Dog
12-02-2020, 09:10 PM
If the rule is "less than 6 hours" then watching older footage isn't a "loophole"; it's the rule.

Haydenmk
12-02-2020, 09:22 PM
“The minute you leave your house to go hunting to the minute you get back to your house, that's considered a hunting expedition”. I didn’t agree with that statement. What if your drone never left your truck? You think they would have to find photo evidence before they charged you.

emerson
12-03-2020, 09:35 AM
The followers are strong in many threads here lately. 6 hrs is there for a reason. Same as non-scheduled flights; must wait 6hrs before hunting. If you feel the need to add your own feelings to the regulations, you are no different than a gossipy old lady talking shit to everyone who walk down her street. On another note, many criminals use modern electronics to record their crimes. I appreciate lawbreakers being idiots.

pg83
12-03-2020, 10:57 AM
The followers are strong in many threads here lately. 6 hrs is there for a reason. Same as non-scheduled flights; must wait 6hrs before hunting. If you feel the need to add your own feelings to the regulations, you are no different than a gossipy old lady talking shit to everyone who walk down her street. On another note, many criminals use modern electronics to record their crimes. I appreciate lawbreakers being idiots.

Direct Copy and Paste from page 15 of the 2020-2022 Hunting Synopsis. Rules 31-33 are new as of this Synopsis.

IT’S UNLAWFUL

30. To hunt wildlife from an aircraft or within 6
hours of being airborne in an aircraft other
than a regularly scheduled commercial
aircraft.

31. To hunt using information on the
location of wildlife that is obtained by
means of an aircraft.

32. To share or assist in sharing, information on the location of wildlife that
is obtained by means of an aircraft,
and shared for the purpose of hunting
wildlife.

33. To operate, possess or use information
that a drone obtains during a hunting
expedition, or less than 6 hours before
the start of a hunting or trapping
expedition.

The rules are pretty simple, but not perfect. As with most things, we should probably use common sense.

Can you look at footage from someone who is not part of your hunting expedition that you meet while on it, if that footage was taken 6 hours in advance of your departure?
I am fairly confident in saying yes to this but would still check with the CO's in advance if it was something I was into in the first place.

I'm interested to see what changes are made, if any, up North pertaining to rules 31-32, hunting with aircraft.
These rules seem like they should have been in place all along but they're better late than never. While fully supportive of them, I don't see how they can reasonably be enforced.

Walking Buffalo
12-04-2020, 10:46 AM
It seems that some here are looking for a loophole that is not there.

"31. To hunt using information on the
means of an aircraft.

wildlife.

expedition,"

The "six hour rule" does not negate the illegality of hunting with information obtained by using an aircraft or a drone.
This applies to information obtained personally or by someone else.

That 6+ hour "old" information is still illegal to use for the purpose of hunting.

And yes, people have been convicted for using this type off "Old" information.

cuervosail
12-04-2020, 03:32 PM
Direct Copy and Paste from page 15 of the 2020-2022 Hunting Synopsis. Rules 31-33 are new as of this Synopsis.

IT’S UNLAWFUL

30. To hunt wildlife from an aircraft or within 6
hours of being airborne in an aircraft other
than a regularly scheduled commercial
aircraft.

31. To hunt using information on the
means of an aircraft.

wildlife.

expedition.

The rules are pretty simple, but not perfect. As with most things, we should probably use common sense.

Can you look at footage from someone who is not part of your hunting expedition that you meet while on it, if that footage was taken 6 hours in advance of your departure?
I am fairly confident in saying yes to this but would still check with the CO's in advance if it was something I was into in the first place.

I'm interested to see what changes are made, if any, up North pertaining to rules 31-32, hunting with aircraft.
These rules seem like they should have been in place all along but they're better late than never. While fully supportive of them, I don't see how they can reasonably be enforced.

From a Transport Canada regulations point of view, they aren't called "drones" - they are "Remotely Piloted Aircraft." The last word is there for a reason and it's the important one.

leftfield
12-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Interesting....I'm not for the use of drones for hunting or for the use of human operated aircraft for the purposes of scouting from the point of view of a guide outfitter. But the way I read rule 33) "to operate" COMMA (there is the separation) and then it begins again with "possessing or using INFORMATION" obtained..... I don't see where being in possession of a drone is the offense here. If it was an offense to have it in your possession then there should have been another COMMA after the word "possessing" or the whole thing could have just been reworded so that there is no confusion. To operate, be in possession of a drone(s), and possess or use information
expedition.

pg83
12-04-2020, 04:34 PM
It seems that some here are looking for a loophole that is not there.

"31. To hunt using information on the
means of an aircraft.

wildlife.

expedition,"

The "six hour rule" does not negate the illegality of hunting with information obtained by using an aircraft or a drone.
This applies to information obtained personally or by someone else.

That 6+ hour "old" information is still illegal to use for the purpose of hunting.

And yes, people have been convicted for using this type off "Old" information.

I'd love to know more about this if you have the information available.
I don't read anywhere in that rule that says you can't use information obtained from a drone if it was done prior to 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition, but I'm no lawyer!

Red arch
12-06-2020, 08:51 AM
I'd love to know more about this if you have the information available.
I don't read anywhere in that rule that says you can't use information obtained from a drone if it was done prior to 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition, but I'm no lawyer!

The 6 hour piece relates too the time before the hunt, so the regulation lays out what is lawful during the hunt, and what is lawful after the hunt. Another way to word 33 would be as follows.

33a. To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition.
33b. To operate, possess, or use information that a drone obtains within 6 hours of the start of a hunting expedition.

To break this down further.

Actions
1.To operate a drone
2. Possess a drone
3. Use information that a drone obtains

Time restrictions
1. During a hunting expedition.
2. Within 6 hours of the start of a hunting expedition.

BRvalley
12-08-2020, 04:35 PM
I can support the ban on drones for hunting for the purpose of fair chase....but I will say that the decision to have the first charge against a residential hunter is pure BS....

the video shared in this post here, clearly shows drone usage as well

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?144394-Moose-hunt&highlight=eagle

pathetic how a high end rifle manufacturer and an outfitter get a pass, but no issues going after a residential hunter.....when the Blaser video was reported, Moon Lake outfitters immediately pulled the video off their website, at first they were negotiating 5k fine and forfeit the moose, but then a year later the CO who investigated told me the crown attorney didn't want to pursue the very first drone charge against an outfitter

MOOSE MILK
12-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Just noticed a post on Long Range Hunting, Arizona is looking at banning trail cams, the ones that announce the presents of game while sitting in your easy chair watching TV.
Now they have to get up off their asses and put boots on the ground to find game sign.

Wish the powers to be here would do the same and while at it ban the use of bait for attracting deer.
Lets get back to HUNTING.

Linksman313
12-09-2020, 01:51 PM
There is a lot of stuff that goes on that is "not hunting"...example, baiting deer, elk and moose. Also using trail cams to pin point time and place instead of using your feet and eyes, I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference.

Big difference between Drone spot/stalk hunting vs a family outing to check trail camera's (exercise) IMO

By your quote you must be in a treestand 24/7 with night vision??

MOOSE MILK
12-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Never sat in a tree stand in my life, I walk look for sign and decide on an area to hunker in and wait or do a slow, slow walk through the area. Have never set out bait for deer, moose or elk. Got a Bison this year by rubbing two carrots together.

Red arch
12-09-2020, 10:52 PM
Just noticed a post on Long Range Hunting, Arizona is looking at banning trail cams, the ones that announce the presents of game while sitting in your easy chair watching TV.
Now they have to get up off their asses and put boots on the ground to find game sign.

Wish the powers to be here would do the same

Like this? 27. To use a wireless camera for the
purposes of hunting from Aug. 1 to
Dec. 10.

j270wsm
12-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Didn’t the government ban baiting ungulates this yr?? And the use of trail camera that use cell signals to send pics to your email??