PDA

View Full Version : Messengers, inreach, etc

Squamch
11-29-2020, 10:00 PM
Had a long walk out of the bush tonight, and would really like to have been able to let my wife know "Hey, I'm totally screwed, but also totally ok, gonna be home late."

Seems to me the best way to avoid needing to send that sort of message, would be to have the ability!

So...I know there's options, who's using what?
What does it cost?
How is the cost structured?
How dependable is it?
Any other pertinent info is welcome too!

IslandWanderer
11-29-2020, 10:12 PM
I use a garmin inreach explorer. Easy to use and I think I only pay about $22 a month. I think my first 10 texts a month are included. Can be put on hold for a few bucks a month.

The gps map has very low detail, but would give someone a general idea of where they're located. Decent unit for setting waypoints. Seems to always be able to find a satellite.

Has the sos button if I truly need help.

Dannybuoy
11-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Also have the inreach explorer ... $16.75 per month that includes unlimited preset messages and 10 text messages as well as automatic send out to search and rescue if you use the SOS

Maglic
11-29-2020, 10:34 PM
Also have the inreach explorer ... $16.75 per month that includes unlimited preset messages and 10 text messages as well as automatic send out to search and rescue if you use the SOS

Same here, that is probably the cheapest option,
Safety Plan
https://discover.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/personal/

Got my Garmin inReach Explorer + on sale for $529 (I can see now the same deal in Cabelas and several other places).

Treed
11-29-2020, 10:39 PM
You can suspend your subscription to InReach for the months you aren’t using it. I think it’s about $4/ month then. It’s a great unit. Links to your phone and you can send and receive texts. I use it for work and hunting. Great piece of mind knowing you can text people and know they won’t make the call that you are missing when you are in the process of packing an animal out late.

whitlers
11-29-2020, 10:50 PM

This ^ I keep mine active all year because I am usually out doing something stupid without service atleast once a month.

3than
11-30-2020, 12:01 AM
I don't personally own one but from what I've read inreach seems to be the go to.

Squamch
11-30-2020, 06:13 AM
Does anyone use the spot X?

twoSevenO
11-30-2020, 07:37 AM
Does anyone use the spot X?

I owned it for a little while in 2018. I returned it because it was unreliable. Taking too long to send texts or sometimes not sending at all.

I picked up an inReach mini and it has been great.

I would just get a ZOLEO now. They werent available in 2018, but they are a cool unit. No gps, only messages, but the device is much cheaper. I think it's under $300. Plans are comparable to inreach.

Wood butcher
11-30-2020, 07:49 AM
I have a Garmin inreach SE. paired with my cell. My need for bigger font seems to be an issue these days .It works well.
Peace of mind is worth a whole lot to me, it might save your or someone else's life one day.

BCBRAD
11-30-2020, 07:51 AM
The Garmin Inreach Explorer works great. When going out in the bush, just start it up , send an e-mail to yourself at home or to friends and they will know your whereabouts in real time, we have ours set up for 10 minute 'pings' and the battery lasts a full day ~24 hours a long with pre composed messages if you are going to be late or whatever.

Also, got one for the kids (adults) for xmas as they roam the bush a lot.

WetLeopard
11-30-2020, 08:06 AM
Another vote for the InReach (I have the mini). I really only use it for the messaging feature and it's worked perfectly thus far.
Been lots of sales lately which makes me think they may have a new model coming out, but other than some navigation features I don't know what else you would want to add.
Messages can take a little while to send/receive, but I've never had an issue with one not going through.

todbartell
11-30-2020, 08:32 AM
I use the Garmin inReach 66i, which is a full featured GPS w/ inReach capability.

I would get a Zoleo if I was looking for a satellite messenger only. Pretty damn affordable

mfarrally
11-30-2020, 08:45 AM
I got a brand new inreach explorer for sale $450. Used only few times.

The Donald
11-30-2020, 08:46 AM
I use a garmin inreach explorer. Easy to use and I think I only pay about $22 a month. I think my first 10 texts a month are included. Can be put on hold for a few bucks a month.

The gps map has very low detail, but would give someone a general idea of where they're located. Decent unit for setting waypoints. Seems to always be able to find a satellite.

Has the sos button if I truly need help.

If I remember correctly, weren't you the guy who got locked behind a gate, how did it work for you then :roll:

MichelD
11-30-2020, 09:38 AM
I got a Garmin Inreach Explorer + in September and had a satellite subscription for it from sept. 20 to Nov. 20, then put it on "suspend." My last invoice showed no charge for suspension of service.

It was great. I have three presets; 1. Got here fine; 2. Everything is okay; and 3. I'm staying longer.

Gives my wife a lot of peace of mind knowing that I have got to where I'm going and that things are fine. Plus there is always the SOS button if I fall and break a leg or suffer some other calamity.

Also, I was careful and used the 10 texts permitted in my plan only when necessary.

In October my buddy and me went to different locations in Region 8 but by the end of the first day he decided to join me and came and found me where I'd told him I'd be. I texted my wife and told her he'd joined me. She was delighted with that and phoned his wife and told her the news. Then his wife asked her to text me that he had an urgent work message, so we was able to drive over to where we had cell service.

One thing I noticed was that when my wife tried to text me on my first trip in early October and I didn't get the message until I was back home. Looking in the quick start manual I saw that the device only checks once or twice a day for messages, but if you use the "search now" function it'll check your messages right away.

Also, even if you are not on a satellite subscription you can still use the device as a GPS. It is not the most sophisticated GPS on the market, but it has a basic topo map, and you can set waypoints and track and navigate.

I'm usually a very parsimonious guy, but I was glad I spent the $600 some-odd on the unit.

Blockcaver
11-30-2020, 09:55 AM
I've had the Garmin InReach SE for over 3 yrs paired with my phone for mapping and easy texting, address books. I use GAIA on the phone for my GPS. If buying today I'd get a Garmin InReach Mini....half the size of the SE or Eplorer, shorter battery life but not an issue in my mind as its still 50 hrs vs 100. I do shut of the IR between checks...say 3 times per day in the morning, noon and night typically. I can go 15 days without recharging and have plenty of battery remaining for any emergency that would come up...but carry a charge pack for the phone anyway, which consumes 5X the battery power as my IR. I usually boost my subscription up to Unlimited Texting when on a Northern remote hunt and knock it back to the most basic plan other times of the year. My plan allows 12 changes per year. Note that you only pay for a better plan for the DAYS you have subscribed to it, not for month long periods...ie I was up north for 21 days this year so enhanced the plan for the 21 of the 30 day billing period and paid the prorated $ of the higher priced plan.

My old Spot Messenger II has sat in the drawer since I got the IR. Would never go back to it, nor to a Sat phone. All the Northern air services (bush planes) I've flown with since 2017 are using IRs, as are the guides I talk to.

Keta1969
11-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Has anyone else noted messaging is faster etc. with the unlimited plan. Couple of guys on northern hunts have said when side by side and all else been equal the units with unlimited plans sent and received faster.

Danny_29
11-30-2020, 11:58 AM
I tried out the Voleo on my last hunt. Had no issues with it. Normally use an inreach but the two as far as messaging go are pretty much same same

ekul246
11-30-2020, 01:10 PM
I just bought a Garmin 66i. Cabela's had it for $130 off. Decided to wait on the inReach explorer because I wanted to have better navigation ability over what the inreach had to offer (based on reviews and research). But NOT the cheapest option that's for sure. But since it just arrived yesterday afternoon, haven't tried it out at all

Sitkaspruce
11-30-2020, 08:13 PM
So I have an older InReach SE and I don't get the plan options that are on the Garmin site. Instead I have to use the Roadpost InRreach plans which are $23/month for the basic safety plan

https://inreach.roadpost.ca/contract-free-inreach-roadpost-plans/

Any idea on how to get the plans on the Garmin.ca site that are posted above. Has anyone used both plans?

One thing I did was rewrite all the presets depending on what I am doing. Ocean fishing; all the presets are about getting back home, being late, safe and sound etc., hunting; animals down will be late, back at camp etc. Makes letting others know much quicker than my fat fingers can type.

Cheers

SS

Pringle00
12-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Way up North this year and used the Zoleo. Worked great, with no issues, easy to use. If you have a GPS unit why buy another one. Zoleo pairs up with your smart phone and I never had a problem getting a message out. There are 3 different plans to choose from and you can put it in “sleep mode” when your not using it for $5 a month or turn it off but pay an activation fee again. It has an “sos” feature and a “check in” button.

Good luck

bard
12-02-2020, 09:26 PM
I have had the old original inreach without the screen for the better part of a decade. Still going strong. Looking for an excuse to get a new one but it still does the job. I put it to sleep mode for most of the year but it comes every sheep hunt

walks with deer
12-02-2020, 10:18 PM
If I remember correctly, weren't you the guy who got locked behind a gate, how did it work for you then :roll:

inbred ndp voters should be locked in.or out..

i carry a inreach not sure where i put it lol

chris26262
12-02-2020, 10:31 PM
I’ve got the inreach mini. I’ve used it from norther BC to interior BC. Have found it to work 90% of the time. I may be generous with that. But feel that is accurate considering satellite are involved!

twoSevenO
12-02-2020, 10:41 PM
I’ve got the inreach mini. I’ve used it from norther BC to interior BC. Have found it to work 90% of the time. I may be generous with that. But feel that is accurate considering satellite are involved!

You're doing something wrong. From my experience, and a couple of other guys that have it, it has been more like 99%.

I find a clear view of the sky is a must. I clip it to the outside of my pack. If I'm stopped for a break, I tend to put it on my hiking pole so it sticks up higher.

Buried at the bottom of your pack with other stuff will certainly cause it to have problems sending.

Laurp99
12-03-2020, 12:44 AM
I recently purchased the InReach Mini, Cabelas and a few other outfits had them for sale at $329, with gift certificates from last Christmas I ended up paying $229 for the InReach. I like the small size and with all the research I've done, the Mini was as good as anything on the market, the most reliable in getting your message through with an audible signal that message was delivered! I chose the annual Safety plan for $14.95 a month, I liked the idea of the monthly plan at first but I'm not too crazy about forking out $29.95 a year for the subscription, the annual plan works for me as it's always active and forces me out of the house more!

I can't get over how small this this thing is.

https://thumbnails-photos.amazon.com/v1/thumbnail/BRhKql-SS5q_f345Z6IIog?viewBox=703%2C937&ownerId=A3G8WQKSBZ8W6L

jorick
12-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Garmin just increased the yearly fee to put your inreach on hold while you are not using it by $20.00, now $49.95 from $29.95

Squamch
12-06-2020, 08:30 AM
Great advice guys, thanks.

srupp
12-06-2020, 10:09 PM
Hmmm first off I am a Spot Ambassador.up to this year only had the ability to check in..now have the GEN X unit.been using it for 4 months.over 700 messages sent / recieved. From inside my home.inside my travel trailer..it does recommend clear view of the sky however in my experience it works in the above situations and even in the truck.
It has a keyboard on the unit no need for a cell phone.it does what I want need ..
For CRITICAL MESSAGES I INCLUDE THE WORD ...COPY..DID YOU GET THIS MESSAGE...? Was able to order supplies,equipment on recent 35 days in the woods..story still in progress..lol Keep my wife updated with regards to my fragile health.
Works well with cell phone, land lines, other SPOT UNITS.
HAD several instances of messages to Garmin Inreach units not receiving my message..when checking with Globalstar star the message was recieved and handed off to sattalight. . Issue was pick up by Garmin.
I am very pleased with this unit.I have entrusted my life to it,my health,and my wife's peace of mind .
The rapid rate of reciept to those I sent messages to was sometimes in mere minutes it depends on those receiving the messages how often they check...
For those who were requiring a prompt timely response..it was.
I hung the unit off my GPS BRACKETT..on the handle bar of the ATV..PLUGGED IN for power..I could tell pretty quick when messages arrived..
Choice of 10 preprogrammed responses that covered most all situations without being $ charged..I believe there are a set amount of custom messages you get each month without a charge on your account.
I was NOT text savey..but found the unit easy to use..
The day we REQUIRED all hands on deck for a search..it worked in reaching others with Spot Gen X perfectly,quickly.2 others happened to be at the cell location and recieved the text.
So far so good.
Asked Susan just now.." it is good "
Cheers
Srupp

Trapper
12-20-2020, 07:52 AM
I have the spot x and it has saved me a few times .. I drive a logging truck for a living and there's been a few times i've been broke down 80 kms in the bush and have been able to get help coming my way quickly. one time blown steering tire ,one time blown drive line , one time a blew a rad hose , and other times for other truckers been able to get help for them as well , of course this always seem to happen 1:00 - 2:00 in the morning.. lol
its always worked for me weather for work or when iam up north hunting.. i pay for the year at a time and i think its around $140 and if you go over your limit its 25 cents a text.. although i have heard good things about inreach i can only tell about my experience with spot x and so far its been good

sako79
12-20-2020, 08:22 AM
I will be getting a zoleo. It sends and receives messages faster than all the others from the research of done. You get a dedicated number and email and the user interface is super easy

elimsprint
12-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Holy technology Batman, I still use a signal fire and my coat to send messages, maybe that's why I never get rescued:)

Stranger In The Woods
01-01-2021, 07:33 PM
I had the DeLorme In Reach Explorer , Garmin In Reach Explorer Plus, GPS MAP 66i, but love my new Garmin Montana 750i, it is on bit pricey side but it has In reach, GPS, Camera, ability to add Back road maps to it ands no need to connect to the phone as it has nice big touch screen.

Ridgehunter604
01-02-2021, 08:52 PM
Can someone breakdown what they actually pay for the Garmin service?
according to the website it’s a 30 buck activation and then the basic plan is $20/month.
It says there is no charge to suspend it on a month to month basis.
yet I'm hearing guys are getting charged to suspend.
And do you pay that activation charge every year or just a one time thing?

Is it free to suspend but then you have to pay something again to re-activate? Or I’m I missing something.

whitlers
01-02-2021, 10:18 PM
I leave mine active all year and it's the basic plan for something like $16 and cents a month on my visa.

Laurp99
01-03-2021, 11:45 AM
Can someone breakdown what they actually pay for the Garmin service?
according to the website it’s a 30 buck activation and then the basic plan is $20/month.
It says there is no charge to suspend it on a month to month basis.
yet I'm hearing guys are getting charged to suspend.
And do you pay that activation charge every year or just a one time thing?

Is it free to suspend but then you have to pay something again to re-activate? Or I’m I missing something.

This depends if you go for the annual (yearly) plan, or the monthly plan where you can activate or deactivate the device as needed.

The annual plan you pay $15 per month whereas the monthly plan is $20, the big catcha is the $49.95 annual fee you will pay every year for the monthly plan!
Big advantage of the monthly plan is you only pay when you use it, but you still have to fork out $49.95 every year.

The annual plan you pay the one time activation charge of $24.95, then the monthly fee of $15 and that's it, no more annual fees!

If you only go camping in the boonies 6 or less times per year, then the Monthly plan might be best suited for your needs.
If you go camping in the boonies 7 or more times per year, then I think the Yearly plan may be better, cost wise and also less hassle of having to Activate and test the device every time you head out!

Then again, you should always ensure the device is working no matter which plan you choose. 8-)