PDA

View Full Version : Best place to own land...

msawyer
11-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Question for you all... If you were going to buy land (up to a 1/4 section) in northern BC where would you be looking if hunting opportunities for elk, moose and deer where high on your list of criteria.

Thanks in advance

Mike

RyoTHC
11-29-2020, 12:19 PM
The best places get kept a secret, we don’t want any of the 604 crew setting up shop ;)

bwhnter
11-29-2020, 01:01 PM
A 1/4 section is tough to hunt elk on. The hunt doesn't last long because they usually cover a bit of ground between feeding and bedding. Are you thinking of living on the quarter or just hunting it? Are you planning on trying to have it give you some sort of income?

huntingfamily
11-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Pink Mountain to Fort Nelson. Otherwise expect traffic...

tigrr
11-29-2020, 08:47 PM
Elk in a lot of places is LEH only. Moose in gos are hard to find. Hudsons Hope, Fort St John, Dawson Creek up to Fort Nelson would be more affordable unless your are a rich man. West of PG is cheaper but it is soon to be all spoken for.
mls.ca vacant land search.

sakohunter
11-29-2020, 09:12 PM
I have heard that some areas up North that the Natives have claims to the moose harvest even on private land. Something to think about:)

REMINGTON JIM
11-29-2020, 10:07 PM
I have heard that some areas up North that the Natives have claims to the moose harvest even on private land. Something to think about:)

Yea the INDIAN's think they own ALL the Moose everywhere now ! :mad: RJ

338win mag
11-30-2020, 05:35 AM
If I was looking for 1/4 (160 acres) it wouldn't be in BC.

eric
11-30-2020, 06:55 AM
New Zealand comes to mind....

alpinedust
11-30-2020, 07:23 AM
If I was looking for 1/4 (160 acres) it wouldn't be in BC.

Why's that?

Where would be preferable?

338win mag
11-30-2020, 07:33 AM
Why's that?

Where would be preferable?
Anywhere UNDRIP hasn't been implemented. I would look everywhere in Canada before I decided to invest in any large land purchase for the interest of the OP. Any land in BC may not be your land in the near future, the treaty process will have virtually all land on the expropriation chopping block, its an unknown. Over at the treaty commission website, have a look for oneself.

Norwestalta
11-30-2020, 09:10 AM
Question for you all... If you were going to buy land (up to a 1/4 section) in northern BC where would you be looking if hunting opportunities for elk, moose and deer where high on your list of criteria.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Curious what your goal is? Retirement, farm or recreation. 160 acres gets pretty small pretty quick lol. If its strictly for hunting I'd advise against. I don't know forsure how much per acre but I'll figure anywhere from $250 on up. Yes you'll have deer there more than likely. Elk and moose come and go where ever and whenever. I don't know about bc but in Alberta we've got landowners tags in case we're not drawn. These only work for mule deer, cow elk. My advice would be to buy a broke 1/4 that is either fenced or seeded into hay. If its fenced you can go with pasturing cattle or if its hay share crop with a neighbor. Either way it brings in a little extra revenue. I found a heckuva nice bush 1/4 for sale if you're interested. I didn't get the realtors name but I could certainly pass on where about it is.

alpinedust
11-30-2020, 09:15 AM
Anywhere UNDRIP hasn't been implemented. I would look everywhere in Canada before I decided to invest in any large land purchase for the interest of the OP. Any land in BC may not be your land in the near future, the treaty process will have virtually all land on the expropriation chopping block, its an unknown. Over at the treaty commission website, have a look for oneself.
Oh yikes. I think I read on here somewhere about some bands claiming large areas of lands. You think they could take land from private owners?

Redthies
11-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Oh yikes. I think I read on here somewhere about some bands claiming large areas of lands. You think they could take land from private owners?

You best do some reading my friend. At present, due to overlapping territories, approximately 120% of B.C. has been claimed as “traditional territory” by the “natives”. Buying ANY land in rural areas is a bit of a crap shoot at this point. Once the treaties are laid out, it will be a different story. If you are lucky enough to own land that has NOT been ceded to the “natives”, I’d expect its value to rise substantially.

They won’t necessarily be taking your land, but they could be who is responsible for collecting your taxes, maintaining your roads etc etc. Although I’m sure they plan on just taking over the “good” things, and hanging the bill for all the maintenance on the white devil. Due to “white guilt” the morons in Ottawa and Victoria will probably agree to this.

Norwestalta
11-30-2020, 09:44 AM
I dont know about this native bs but if it was my land and they decided to take it as theirs, there'll be a big big problem. Covid will be the least of their worries.

saskbooknut
11-30-2020, 11:13 AM
Buy land adjacent to Crown land, that will increase your scope for hunting.
As said previously, 1/4 section is pretty small as wildlife habitat.

breakaction
11-30-2020, 10:15 PM
You best do some reading my friend. At present, due to overlapping territories, approximately 120% of B.C. has been claimed as “traditional territory” by the “natives”. Buying ANY land in rural areas is a bit of a crap shoot at this point. Once the treaties are laid out, it will be a different story. If you are lucky enough to own land that has NOT been ceded to the “natives”, I’d expect its value to rise substantially.

They won’t necessarily be taking your land, but they could be who is responsible for collecting your taxes, maintaining your roads etc etc. Although I’m sure they plan on just taking over the “good” things, and hanging the bill for all the maintenance on the white devil. Due to “white guilt” the morons in Ottawa and Victoria will probably agree to this.

The situation with the Tatla Lake area has been interesting to follow. Seems this may set the precedent for future dealings.

https://www.terracestandard.com/business/b-c-ranchers-lodge-operators-say-indigenous-land-title-shuts-them-out/#

Redthies
11-30-2020, 11:42 PM
I think all the people who claim to support FN title should be made to sign over THEIR OWN HOUSES before they can make policy on OUR houses and properties.

REMINGTON JIM
11-30-2020, 11:48 PM
BUY a long distance away from any Rez's ! :( RJ

338win mag
12-01-2020, 06:26 AM
Indigenous relations and reconciliation minister Scott Fraser.....has zero qualifications to be in this position, he was the guy who introduced UNDRIP.
Sorry to be a downer but I just can't let it go unsaid and people left uninformed...We have a treaty process that is secret until the deals are done, they can be found on the BC treaty commission website.

Then we have UNDRIP, its a foreigners idea of how Canada will deal with its indigenous, the courts will use it (the document) to interpret and guide them into the future...its an unknown. An example of this is the judge who thought it was a right for FN to use a light to shoot animals at night, really?? I expect this stupidity to continue.

I hear some people talk that if you buy land that may be expropriated then its a guaranteed investment as the Government will pay you out, I guess that may be true.
Some land will be expropriated, as stated above, some will pay taxes to the bands and their rules will apply, rules like....no hunting, no this or that.

What people really need to do is their "due diligence" before acting, and .......the land claims that have been finalized will be sought after by all FN bands in this Province, nothing less.
I suppose you could run away to another Province but...I strongly suspect the treaties will be open for re-evaluation across the Country, whether its a mutual Nation to Nation interaction, or through Court action's...its going to happen. It already has been initiated in Ontario with an 80 billion dollar law suit.

Further information can be gathered by looking into the effects of UNDRIP in South Africa, and using some common sense to theorize what is going to happen.

Ghilliesuit
12-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Don't listen to the naysayers, they are even LESS informed than your dog. It's just a way of expressing their angst over something that they know nothing about.

Some properties might be subject to expropriation, but these are KNOWN, nobody is going to blindside you except an unscrupulous owner, get a realty agent (due diligence) and title insurance.

Some properties might have access issues and they will have access issues UNTIL treaties are enacted. Up in the Squamish Valley the Rez straddles the FSR, they could deny traffic, and they'd be completely within their rights. Expect Forestry won't send them any money for access and the locals would deny service. There are examples all over BC.

Treaties are NOTHING to fear, yes they will displace some people, a lot of them First Nations.

Do you want FNs to be subject to taxes, able to SELL land, buy land, oversight, the benefits go on and on---the bad effects will be over in a generation.

Keta1969
12-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Don't listen to the naysayers, they are even LESS informed than your dog. It's just a way of expressing their angst over something that they know nothing about.

Some properties might be subject to expropriation, but these are KNOWN, nobody is going to blindside you except an unscrupulous owner, get a realty agent (due diligence) and title insurance.

Some properties might have access issues and they will have access issues UNTIL treaties are enacted. Up in the Squamish Valley the Rez straddles the FSR, they could deny traffic, and they'd be completely within their rights. Expect Forestry won't send them any money for access and the locals would deny service. There are examples all over BC.

Treaties are NOTHING to fear, yes they will displace some people, a lot of them First Nations.

Do you want FNs to be subject to taxes, able to SELL land, buy land, oversight, the benefits go on and on---the bad effects will be over in a generation.

You are dreaming and your dream is going to turn into a nightmare. Most people have no idea of what is coming or how it will affect them and the province. And the secrecy surrounding the process is bullshit. It's secret because they don't want it known because of backlash. The treaties that should be settled first are all the ones in the 604 exchange and wake up the masses that just see treaties as a bunch of rural land been given away. Doesn't affect them so they don't give a shit.

weatherby_man
12-01-2020, 04:33 PM

Seriously? You think you read somewhere?

Its a complete F story in this province, look elsewhere.

weatherby_man
12-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Step away from the crack pipe......

Ghilliesuit
12-01-2020, 05:25 PM
You are dreaming and your dream is going to turn into a nightmare. Most people have no idea of what is coming or how it will affect them and the province. And the secrecy surrounding the process is bullshit. It's secret because they don't want it known because of backlash. The treaties that should be settled first are all the ones in the 604 exchange and wake up the masses that just see treaties as a bunch of rural land been given away. Doesn't affect them so they don't give a shit.

So you admit YOU don't know anything because of the secrecy. Why the comments about something YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT? w_m it goes double for you.

We have the Nisga Treaty, signed, sealed and delivered; what are you having trouble with, be specific. Is it individuals have to pay taxes? Fee-simple land ownership? Resource management?

weatherby_man
12-02-2020, 08:31 AM
So you admit YOU don't know anything because of the secrecy. Why the comments about something YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT? w_m it goes double for you.

We have the Nisga Treaty, signed, sealed and delivered; what are you having trouble with, be specific. Is it individuals have to pay taxes? Fee-simple land ownership? Resource management?

Again,,,,step away from the crack pipe.....

puddlejumper
12-02-2020, 09:38 AM

I have to agree with Ghilie. A guy starts a thread looking for sound advice and gets handed a shit show of comments that have no bearing on whether or not to become a proud owner of a chunk of land but has everything to do with their own insecurities. Treaties provide certainty, if the land isn't already earmarked as Treaty designated lands you won't even know a Treaty was signed and they certainly are not going to quibble over a quarter section. Land claims is another issue, those Nations launching a land claim know they have to live with their neighbours and the package will outline what is not on the table. 9/10 times your property isn't even a figment of imagination, with the exception of access but I am sure you will do your homework before purchasing. I have buddies that have purchased a couple hundred acres, knowing the treaty and land claim issues inside and out, the neighbours hay it and they successfully manage it, hunt it, fully enjoying the experience knowing that they have their little private area that they can access year after year without any impediments or interference from the participants of this forum.

Downtown
12-02-2020, 10:26 AM
McBride or Dunster area.

Cheers

Ghilliesuit
12-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Again,,,,step away from the crack pipe.....

Is that all you got? PPP. pupplejumper said it all, " ...everything to do with their own insecurities..."

338win mag
12-02-2020, 12:17 PM
I have to agree with Ghilie. A guy starts a thread looking for sound advice and gets handed a shit show of comments that have no bearing on whether or not to become a proud owner of a chunk of land but has everything to do with their own insecurities. Treaties provide certainty, if the land isn't already earmarked as Treaty designated lands you won't even know a Treaty was signed and they certainly are not going to quibble over a quarter section. Land claims is another issue, those Nations launching a land claim know they have to live with their neighbours and the package will outline what is not on the table. 9/10 times your property isn't even a figment of imagination, with the exception of access but I am sure you will do your homework before purchasing. I have buddies that have purchased a couple hundred acres, knowing the treaty and land claim issues inside and out, the neighbours hay it and they successfully manage it, hunt it, fully enjoying the experience knowing that they have their little private area that they can access year after year without any impediments or interference from the participants of this forum.
While I agree with you and understand the OP has a legitimate question.
Firstly, you don't know where or what treaty lands are. Nobody knows if its outlined in the treaty or not until it shows up on the treaty commission website.
Where I live is almost certainly going to be in a treaty, nobody knows for sure, and I doubt you do.

There are going to be expropriations and if you don't think so then you haven't read the treaties posted.

When someone posts a query, they need to be expecting something they don't want to hear, and if you were to read some of the links provided, then perhaps you would also have a better understanding.

Also, I doubt you have considered what UNDRIP will mean for everyone, including FN, nobody knows where the courts are going to go.
If there is anything certain, it is the uncertainty of land ownership in rural BC.

Keta1969
12-02-2020, 04:09 PM

You're right I don't know and neither do you which is the point I'm making. I don't have a problem with settling treaties but I don't like been kept in the dark nor do I trust either level of government not to throw some under the bus so they can all pat themselves on the back. As for the Nisga and taxes,you do know that the Own Source Revenue Agreement was cancelled. Do the Nisga fund and pay for housing services, health care etc. for their members off reserve? So, what is it over 20 years since the treaty and we're still paying. I'm pissed at how my Government is handling this not the natives. And as far as this been a hi-jack hardly, anything and everything is on the table and we're been represented by numbskulls. To the OP i would still buy land but would be prepared to possibly be impacted by Treaties to what extent who knows. To Ghillie why not lobby to settle the claims in your area and tell us how it goes.