PDA

View Full Version : Legal Shooting Light

Dirty
10-24-2007, 09:13 PM
In the regulations I read that one can not hunt 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset. So am I reading it right when I assume that I can shoot an animal up to 1 hour after sunset? Is there something I am missing here? I used my GPS to determine sunset on the weekend and 1 hour after sunset it was really dark.

todbartell
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
on overcast days, an hour before sunrise is pitch black, same as an hour after

on clear days, in open country, with good optics, a guy can really use the full hour

Will
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
In the regulations I read that one can not hunt 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset. So am I reading it right when I assume that I can shoot an animal up to 1 hour after sunset? Is there something I am missing here? I used my GPS to determine sunset on the weekend and 1 hour after sunset it was really dark.
Yep your right....:smile:

I always look up the actual sunrise and sunset times for each day I'm going out.....takes the guess work out.

BANG!
10-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Hi Dirty

Does this help? http://www.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_e.html

plug in your coordinates (or nearest city) and this little beauty pumps out the official times for you (the ones the the CO would refer to I believe if there was ever a dispute or review).

cheers

Big7
10-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Regulations have to draw the line somewhere other wise the law would be left open to debate when it came time to press charges! Cloud cover, full moons, clear night etc all have an affect on how "light" it is one hour after sunset or before sunrise for that matter. Basically if it's a cloudy night and you cannot "be sure of your target" - don't shoot! Also, 59min and 45sec and in the head lights doesn't count!
Be smart and use your judgement but don't shoot something before or after those time limits (even with a full moon for example) or you'll regret it!

Sieg-MM
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm sure everyones definition of sunset and sunrise is different. Seems pretty ambiguous. I just use common sense:smile:

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 09:32 PM
So what it really boils down to is.. No, you cant use your highbeams legally 45 minutes after sunset

scottgreen
10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
technically, yes

Paulyman
10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
So what it really boils down to is.. No, you cant use your highbeams legally 45 minutes after sunset

Please explain why. if its legal hunting time and i can see the tines and count them......i'm shooting no questions asked.

Dirty
10-24-2007, 09:42 PM

But in your case you can use them illegally 1 hour after sunset?

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Well first off, If you've got your head lights on and its dark and your guns in your lap, waiting to see tines in "legal hunting light with HEADLIGHTS ON" then your asking to have your truck taken your guns taken and your license pulled....
Why? because someone said you could shoot fourty five minutes after dark on some forum and you believed them? give your head a shake , dont be rediculous

I also might add, yes, if it was snowy out, the moon was full, and you could see very well still, it might be a choice of shooting NO HEADLIGHTS, just because its dark and it says your allowed to shoot one hour after, it doesnt mean you can poach deer while blinding them or poach for any matter at that

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 09:44 PM
If I ever had to stoop to the level of shooting a deer in the dark with truck lights or other lights, I think its time to give up hunting because your one sorry *******

But in your case you can use them illegally 1 hour after sunset?

Paulyman
10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Well first off, If you've got your head lights on and its dark and your guns in your lap, waiting to see tines in "legal hunting light with HEADLIGHTS ON" then your asking to have your truck taken your guns taken and your license pulled....
Why? because someone said you could shoot fourty five minutes after dark on some forum and you believed them? give your head a shake , dont be rediculous

the rules are you are legally allowed to hunt one hour before legal sunrise,example in kelowna on nov 1rst legal sunrise is 6:47, so guess what ? i'm hunting at 5:47 cloud cover or not. if i have it wrong please someone correct me

Big7
10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
How true Erickson. If the animal has to be in the headlights to see if it is legal or not, high or low beams, I think they have a phrase for that...PIT LAMPING...and last I checked that's illegal! Give it a whirl if you'd like but I'd love to see what happens WHEN you get caught!

Big7
10-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Paulyman...there's a difference between "hunting" and "shooting". That's where you have it wrong.

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
You could ask one of my neighbours, he got roasted doing it, he's a goof though, if your considering shooting one in your headlights I'd easily categorize you in this way aswell, no offence

Big7
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Hunt all you want...shoot all you want but as always...be sure of your target!! Sounds like a CORE lesson or something!!

Dirty
10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
If I ever had to stoop to the level of shooting a deer in the dark with truck lights or other lights, I think its time to give up hunting because your one sorry *******

Buddy, why don't you pound sand. I just asked a question about the regulations to clarify my understanding. It SAYS that you can LEGALLY shoot 1 hour before sunrise and up to 1 hour after sunset. It was dark when I checked my GPS for the time so I just wanted to clarify. I did not ask for you to make ignorant comments inferring that I am a poacher.
So what it really boils down to is.. No, you cant use your highbeams legally 45 minutes after sunset Where in my post at all did it say anything about shooting with the aid of lights. I am sure if you read in the regulations there is something about that in there.

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Bad edumuhcation here huuuked on fonicks didnt werk

Big7
10-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Dark is dark...artificial light is no substitute..end of story!!

stickbow
10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Please explain why. if its legal hunting time and i can see the tines and count them......i'm shooting no questions asked.can you identify what is behind your target?

Dirty
10-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Bad edumuhcation here huuuked on fonicks didnt werk
Adding something constructive again I see.

Paulyman
10-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Paulyman...there's a difference between "hunting" and "shooting". That's where you have it wrong.

Hunting is the terminology used in the regulations, the only rule is no illuminating device, so as it stands if i'm in kelowna sunrise is at 6:47 on nov 1rst legally i can hunt at 5;47 so if i can count tines at 5:47 thats a perfectly good time to drop whatever i'm hunting!

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Your out of control, Maybe I will hit the sandbox just to please you, I'm sorry you feel offended because I clarified that you CANNOT use your headlights, Give your head a shake:mad:

Buddy, why don't you pound sand. I just asked a question about the regulations to clarify my understanding. It SAYS that you can LEGALLY shoot 1 hour before sunrise and up to 1 hour after sunset. It was dark when I checked my GPS for the time so I just wanted to clarify. I did not ask for you to make ignorant comments inferring that I am a poacher. Where in my post at all did it say anything about shooting with the aid of lights. I am sure if you read in the regulations there is something about that in there.

Big7
10-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Paulyman...if you see tines and are comfortable shooting...it's well within you rights and I hope he's a good one!

Derek_Erickson
http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/big/cry.gif

Adding something constructive again I see.

Steeleco
Lets answer the question and STOP the personal slags before it's too late!!!

Paulyman

what part did i have wrong, i never used incorrect terminology

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/chaos/big1.gifOh wait, I just remembered I dont care what you do when your in the bush, just aslong as you dont shoot me or at me I'm done with you your obsurd

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
If the conditions are cooperating and you feel as if you won't have a chance again, shoot, its your choice, I'm not here to stop you

Steeleco
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Here's the answer: Par 12 pg 18 in the regs.

12. to hunt wildlife by the use of, or with the
aid of, a light or an illuminating device.

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
it is unlawful? is that what is says before this?

Dirty
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Your out of control, Maybe I will hit the sandbox just to please you, I'm sorry you feel offended because I clarified that you CANNOT use your headlights, Give your head a shake:mad:

Were you born with one too many chromosomes? Where in any of my posts did it say I was going to use lights to hunt? Maybe you should give your head a shake and rattle that pea brain around. Why don't you try and post something constructive like what I did in the initial post of this thread. This is a hunting website where questions can be asked to help clarify things. Here you come along insinuating that I am a pitlamper. And I am out of control for being offended? You are an Asshole with a capital A.

Paulyman
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Paulyman...if you see tines and are comfortable shooting...it's well within you rights and I hope he's a good one!

thank you! please people stop making this about your personal ethics, the rules are there for a reason, use them as well as common sense, i would hope noone on this site would consider shooting an animal at 5:47 if they weren't sure of it's tine count.

Big7
10-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Here, here! So anyway, on another subject.......

Paulyman
can you identify what is behind your target?

if i'm shooting?.............yes.

Derek_Erickson
Thanks bud, I like the way you think. but I dont see how you said I Pointed this at you, I merely said, One cannot use headlights to aid for a hunt the ONE hour your aloud to hunt after sunset if the conditions are prime, your also a very respectable person

and not the only one to call me an asshole

Were you born with one too many chromosomes? Where in any of my posts did it say I was going to use lights to hunt? Maybe you should give your head a shake and rattle that pea brain around. Why don't you try and post something constructive like what I did in the initial post of this thread. This is a hunting website where questions can be asked to help clarify things. Here you come along insinuating that I am a pitlamper. And I am out of control for being offended? You are an Asshole with a capital A.

Dirty
10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks bud, I like the way you think. but I dont see how you said I Pointed this at you, I merely said, One cannot use headlights to aid for a hunt the ONE hour your aloud to hunt after sunset if the conditions are prime, your also a very respectable person

and not the only one to call me an asshole

I am sorry I can not understand what or who you are referring to it is just tough to wade through all the spelling mistakes.

Steeleco
10-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Hunting is the terminology used in the regulations, the only rule is no illuminating device, so as it stands if i'm in kelowna sunrise is at 6:47 on nov 1rst legally i can hunt at 5;47 so if i can count tines at 5:47 thats a perfectly good time to drop whatever i'm hunting!

You answered you own question. "no illuminating device" legal time or not.
I for one love hunting far too much to risk getting caught taking those risks.
There's many more days and many more animals, try again the next day.

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
My bad spelling yeah, So Sorry.

Your my hero

http://enigma.dune.net/~eric/Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

Steeleco
10-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Question answered. This is going nowhere positive.