PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast Blacktails?

Nailgunslinger
10-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone is hunting Blacktails on the sunshine coast and what they've seen so far. I saw one buck (after hours):frown: in 10 morns/nights of hunting slashes , clearcuts , and mountaintops. 3 Does though >< lol. Not even 1 grouse! I have seen enough black bears to have made me go and buy a tag today haha. Where are all the friggin deer! I see sign everywhere, but no legal houred bucks. Ack this is my first time hunting in the area for blackies and I guess I just want someone to tell me there are still bloody deer here? :frown::!:

CooperSscat
10-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Ya I feel your pain as I've been skunked 10 plus times in the past couple of seasons down here on the coast looking for blacktails. At least you have a chance of seeing a buck as you're out and about in the woods. Heck you may even tag out with a black bear. That won't happen if you're stuck at home glued to the tube. Good luck to you.

Jeremy

scottgreen
10-24-2007, 09:14 PM
i have lived in Sechelt all of my 14 years and I have not seen many blacktails in legal areas. Most locals dont even try ;) . Good luck though + I think if you try hard enough you will bag one!

BANG!
10-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I've been watching the bucks here on Bowen for the past six months. Studying the little buggers quite closely (and a few big ones too) so I could get a good insight and feel for their movements.

About two or three weeks ago, all the bucks seemed to just vanish. Instead of seeing one buck for every three or four does or younguns, now I'm lucky to spot 1 for every 20.

I wonder if they move onto higher ground at this time of year (only to move down over the next month or two when the colder weather brings some snow). :? ? ... or do they just restrict their movements to the dark hours?

I can tell you though, that you're not the only one wondering where the bucks have gone.

Nailgunslinger
10-24-2007, 10:29 PM
On a side note where have the grouse gone as well?:cool: I saw lots in the summer ..sept hit....nothing. Its like the deer and the grouse packed up and split. I've seen lots of deer in previous years here around now, just started hunting again now though;) just how it goes i guess. Imma hit the woods hard during the rut.

Elkhound
10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
I am hearing from my buds that it's been a slow season so far for coast blacktails. Most guys are not seeing much. as for bears........there are no bears on the coast:wink:

Nailgunslinger
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Ok update...I saw the biggest coastal blacktail i have ever seen..body was huge and was a 5x5 not including brow tines , the left brow tine had a second tine coming out of it , never seen that before. The ******* stood there and mocked me while I was on the roof working for 20 min ! I'm borrowing my buddys crossbow 8) for the weekend and gunna try for him. Saw him at lunchtime too. Made me stoked for the rest of the day.:smile:

Nailgunslinger
10-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been watching the bucks here on Bowen for the past six months. Studying the little buggers quite closely (and a few big ones too) so I could get a good insight and feel for their movements.

About two or three weeks ago, all the bucks seemed to just vanish. Instead of seeing one buck for every three or four does or younguns, now I'm lucky to spot 1 for every 20.

I wonder if they move onto higher ground at this time of year (only to move down over the next month or two when the colder weather brings some snow). :? ? ... or do they just restrict their movements to the dark hours?

I can tell you though, that you're not the only one wondering where the bucks have gone.
Hey is it all private hunting on bowen now?

Tron
10-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I am hearing from my buds that it's been a slow season so far for coast blacktails. Most guys are not seeing much. as for bears........there are no bears on the coast:wink:NO BEARS B......S.....

Tron
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok update...I saw the biggest coastal blacktail i have ever seen..body was huge and was a 5x5 not including brow tines , the left brow tine had a second tine coming out of it , never seen that before. The ******* stood there and mocked me while I was on the roof working for 20 min ! I'm borrowing my buddys crossbow 8) for the weekend and gunna try for him. Saw him at lunchtime too. Made me stoked for the rest of the day.:smile:Why not just use the nail gun! Ha Ha

Elkhound
10-25-2007, 10:27 PM
NO BEARS B......S.....

LOL..thats what the wink was for

BigBanger
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
ive hunted there a few times this year,
been stoped by the co and he said " theres only urban deer on the coast"
seen lotsa bears and a few elk got 5 grouse

boatdoc
10-26-2007, 08:17 AM
The deer populations are pretty low except for the urban deer.The regional bio is working on what has happened to our deer ,he seems to think predation.We have alot of cougars.There are more deer anyplace with water access only.I have found it less time consuming and more produtive to go to the cariboo or okanogan and find a deer than to hunt localy.

BANG!
10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey is it all private hunting on bowen now?

it's all private and tied up with red tape. :roll: It's really hard to get everything all lined up to obtain a special permit from RCMP (and then you must hunt traditional bow - no cross-bows or compounds)

Nailgunslinger
10-26-2007, 06:29 PM
it's all private and tied up with red tape. :roll: It's really hard to get everything all lined up to obtain a special permit from RCMP (and then you must hunt traditional bow - no cross-bows or compounds)

My buddy Murray is going there to hunt on private land I was pretty sure he said he was bringing his gun...lol and that the owner had shot 2 bucks from his porch last year and hates them because they eat all his new trees haha. Imma have to tell him this :o hes gunna be choked.

tooty
10-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Well nailgunslinger good luck,I'm down in the creek on the high side of the highway.I hike up the mountain almost everyday after work and the only deer I have seen is on my property and the neighbours.We all have 5 to 10 acres.There was a huge 6x6 running around with a 3x3 but they have been gone for a month now,samething every year.Another week or so then the rut.They might be back but there is not to many does around.The most deer I have seen is at the Sunnycrest mall crossing the highway at 5 in the morning.

Iron-Head
10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Sorry guys but I have been diagnosed with Sh!t house luck this year, I have seen more deer this year then in many years in the past, Also coming from the guy who saw 4 Immy moose this season:roll:

Elkhound
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry guys but I have been diagnosed with Sh!t house luck this year, I have seen more deer this year then in many years in the past, Also coming from the guy who saw 4 Immy moose this season:roll:

and thats why all your tags are filled:biggrin:

Iron-Head
10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Note the word seeing* Not shooting :lol:
See yah in a bit Dave!

wlbc
10-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I used to hunt the benches of Gambier Island across from the old Avalon log sort with some success.

tooty
10-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Gambier used to be great for hunting,but there is so much development all around the island that it's very difficult to find a spot without a cabin on it.I think you can still head up at Brigade bay.

Nailgunslinger
10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Well nailgunslinger good luck,I'm down in the creek on the high side of the highway.I hike up the mountain almost everyday after work and the only deer I have seen is on my property and the neighbours.We all have 5 to 10 acres.There was a huge 6x6 running around with a 3x3 but they have been gone for a month now,samething every year.Another week or so then the rut.They might be back but there is not to many does around.The most deer I have seen is at the Sunnycrest mall crossing the highway at 5 in the morning.

Yea all I've seen in that area is black bear ...when i didn't have my tag lmao. Good to go now though haha. Imma try up higher with the rifle and lower with a crossbow. I'm determined to use my tags and fill my freezer this year.8-)