PDA

View Full Version : Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

chainsaw
11-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Hey guys hope everyone is well. Just picked up a 16ft out back cargo trailer that I am going to camperize. I have a good idea of the lay out I want already but it would be nice to see and here other ideas out there before I get into it. Plans as of now are spray insulation on roof and walls, 1” sub floor with rigid foam floor. Diesel heater, Kitchen up front and fold down beds in the back. Just wondering how you guys that have them went about yours. Cheers Chris

RambleOn
11-28-2020, 12:07 PM
I kept an open floor plan. Kitchen is a folding table. Moves around as needed for different set ups. Cots work the same way. Buy tons of wall hooks. Can never have too many to hang gear. Buy stainless drying rack type shelves and place them high and out of the way. Great for drying gloves hats etc. Espar/webasto type diesel heater is awesome.

BCBRAD
11-28-2020, 12:32 PM
I put a 18" hippy killer in mine, definitely don't need insulation. Bunk is across the width 69" long x 54"wide and easily removed and put on floor so I can park the quad on top of it, installed two 12"x18" windows that slide. Use a lifetimer table from costco, one on the inside and one on the outside. And as mentioned, lots of hooks and loops to hang stuff and dry clothes. Real simple, warm - dry, also use the wood stove for cooking and a small propane stove for flashing the coffee up in the am.

MRP
11-28-2020, 02:11 PM
I put wood stove out the front end wall. Clips on and off in a couple of minutes. And a cap to go over the whole when travelling. Mounted the box underneath the trailer to put the chimney in. I like wood heat.

RICKADY
11-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Make sure you have decent ventilation with the stoves going and things drying,
Yes gotta love wood heat but didn't want to do that in my works trailer.
Found a small DSI forced air furnace from a camper, screwed down up front, hole in floor for small gas line, tank outside, 12 volt power source, thermostat an all, could pull it all out in 2 minutes, worked great in a 8 X 16 overheight model.

f350ps
11-28-2020, 08:21 PM
If I was to ever entertain building one I’d contact Hunterguy on here and go check out the Moose is Loose Lodge! If you search on here you’ll probably find some old threads! K

Farmer001
11-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Installed Dickinson diesel heater, nice to have dry heat when cold out. 6 x 12 with bunks, 2" in floors and 1"in walls. Few windows. Fresh air intake critical and emergency hatch in my opinion. Smoke detector and Co monitor included.

Ride Red
11-28-2020, 09:05 PM
Awning on outside for a clean dry place to park quad at night, hang wet clothes to drip dry, outside eating area and a place to get out of muddy boots/gear.

Hunterguy
11-28-2020, 09:34 PM
Hunterguy here and no problem with any help towards your project. Had another great season in the Lodge. Added a dexter independent suspension kit on the Lodge. Travelled 40 K on a fsr. and 5 hours through the canyon with a 22 quart pot full of water left on the cooking stove and never spilt a drop. Dumb asses. Lol.

ratherbefishin
11-28-2020, 09:52 PM
I built one- 15’ tandem V nose.Two windows,awning and RV door ordered from the factory( cheaper) . Couple of school lockers and an overhead.Kitchen In the V nose(used a fridge and a stove from my camper) Dickinson propane marine heater in the front , fold down bunk one side,two bunks on the other side and two lift out cross the back.Quad drives in the back with hold downs.Battery and LED lighting .Everything just fits.Sleeps 4 or 5,depending on whether or not we take the quad.Its very comfortable.Mostly we cook and eat outside ,and just use the trailer for sleeping. I had wanted to purchase a piece of property and put a cabin on it but capital cost and fears of vandalism decided a trailer that I can take home was a better option.A big wall tent would be roomier,but it’s sure nice to just park and climb in for the night in transit.We do take a portable tarp garage for inclimate weather.

about the only thing I might have done difently would be to get a 20’ model for a bit more room ,install a small zero clearance wall mounted wood stove and utilize the quad space to sit around when it’s out.Cargo trailers are ideal for hunting trailers because they are utilitarian and you can customize them to suit your own needs and have a lot of fun doing it in the off season

MRP
11-29-2020, 09:45 AM
My bed will be a fold down table like most campers have with end storage. But able to move it around or take it out to use the full cargo space. The other guys will have to bring there own bed.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PXL_20201003_225422116_copy_2016x1512.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PXL_20201001_155440954_copy_1209x1612_copy_906x120 81.jpg

BCBRAD
11-29-2020, 09:50 AM
Nice job, I like it! ^^^

The Hermit
11-29-2020, 11:09 AM
I've been noodling this for a long time. I would insulate really well and add a coolbot system so that it could be turned into a cooler for the early season... generator sits on the frame triangle at front of trailer. One of our boys partitioned-off the front 1/3 of the trailer with an insulated wall just behind the side door, reinforced the roof and installed a track system with meat hooks for hanging game. Also put a small freezer in it too so no need to head back early to get to the butcher or to by ice! You could do the same and kit out the back section for gear, bed, whatever. Personally I'd rather take an 8x10 wall tent to set up as a kitchen and eating area. Post some pics of your build!!

scoutlt1
11-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Looking forward to a few ideas as well.

Picked up a 6x12 at Cummings recently. Ordered it with insulation. Primary use will be to haul the RZR, but want to be able to use it for "unexpected" overnight trips as well as extra accommodations for others when I have my little camper on the truck.

I had some track installed to set up a table in the front and a bed in the back (removable). Likely won't be installing a stove for heat, although giving it some thought. Might just get a little Buddy heater. Propane stove on the front table for morning coffee.

Trying to keep it simple but ya know, with all the good ideas out there who knows what it will turn into! :smile:

bcsteve
11-29-2020, 02:06 PM
Looking forward to a few ideas as well.

Picked up a 6x12 at Cummings recently. Ordered it with insulation. Primary use will be to haul the RZR, but want to be able to use it for "unexpected" overnight trips as well as extra accommodations for others when I have my little camper on the truck.

I had some track installed to set up a table in the front and a bed in the back (removable). Likely won't be installing a stove for heat, although giving it some thought. Might just get a little Buddy heater. Propane stove on the front table for morning coffee.

Trying to keep it simple but ya know, with all the good ideas out there who knows what it will turn into! :smile:
Just a heads up about the insulation on the trailers a Cummings (not Cummings fault, the manufacturer installs it) the manufacturer does a crappy job. I had to pull all the plywood and redo it myself.
https://i.postimg.cc/4dfsRmmD/57455136399-01-A6-DCCC-19-D2-47-EE-9-F51-7-DA6-A70-E52-A2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/13F9pkkj/IMG-2580.jpg

Ubertuber
11-29-2020, 04:29 PM
woah, that's some poor workmanship on that "insulated" trailer ^^^^

I'd consider rigid foam for your walls rather than spray foam. If you ever want to add wiring or anything like that in the future it would be difficult with the spray foam. Maybe spray foam the ceiling and under the floor, but not the walls. I used rigid for everything, no spray foam.
I put a 3' lift on my Torsion axles. Makes a big difference on rough roads, deactivations and such.
As mentioned by others, install a lot of hooks, you will use them.
I picked up some used overhead cabinets and ran them the length of the trailer on one side. They hold a lot and are out of the way.
I went the diesel heater route rather than wood stove. Wood is nice, but it's a mess and requires significant clearance. Once you see a diesel heater running you'll see why they are becoming so popular. Dickinson heaters are good, but a little pricey for me when I built the trailer.
I made a small nook that folds down into a double bed like a camper. If anyone else stays in the trailer, they use cots.
Also installed 2-100W solar panels and controller along with some LED light strips. keeps me off grid 100% of the time.

Have fun with your project.

Brew
11-29-2020, 04:56 PM
I can’t believe they call that insulation. I have been eyeballing their trailers but not if that’s what they mean by insulated.

ratherbefishin
11-29-2020, 05:19 PM
Mine was sprayed insulation with plywood paneling. I sprayed the whole interior with bed liner

ratherbefishin
11-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Mine was sprayed insulation with plywood paneling. I sprayed the whole interior with bed liner before I started adding lockers and bunks

scoutlt1
11-29-2020, 05:58 PM
Just a heads up about the insulation on the trailers a Cummings (not Cummings fault, the manufacturer installs it) the manufacturer does a crappy job. I had to pull all the plywood and redo it myself.
https://i.postimg.cc/4dfsRmmD/57455136399-01-A6-DCCC-19-D2-47-EE-9-F51-7-DA6-A70-E52-A2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/13F9pkkj/IMG-2580.jpg

Holy f***!!!

That brings back memories of my Keystone (Hobbi) toyhauler from years ago. :mad:

Jeezes, now I want to pull off at least one sheet of plywood just to have a look.

What made you check it??

(Thanks for the heads up btw....)

M.

scoutlt1
11-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Sorry, don't want to take away from the OP's thread.

Will send you a pm bcsteve....

albravo2
11-29-2020, 06:15 PM
I have a 20' that I use, although it isn't really converted. I bought a wood stove from Home Hardware that sits in the middle and vents out the top vent. Folding tables and cots that go wherever there is room, usually according to how many people. Three is ideal, four is a bit cramped but still room for cots and everybody gets a chair around the fire. if it is just me I don't even need to pull the Rhino out.

I haven't used it in bitter cold but down to -5 it is very comfortable without insulation. Gets warm quickly after a hunt or in the morning and it doesn't bother me if it gets really cold at night because I have a good bag and prefer to sleep in a cold room anyway.

I haven't installed windows yet, we leave the back door cracked a few inches and the side door is always slightly open too.

LED lights hooked up to one of those portable jump batteries-- recharge it in the truck every few days. Jet boil for coffee in the morning, breakfast sandwiches heated up on top of the stove and main meals either cooked and eaten under the exterior awning or a totally separate pop up tent.

I really like the simplicity but we will start to fancy it up pretty soon. Windows, a couple bunks, additional space at the rear may be achieve by lowering the door to flat then assembling some insulated walls and a roof, sort of like a pop-out.

chainsaw
11-30-2020, 01:08 AM
All great stuff here guys. Keep it coming.

Hunterguy
11-30-2020, 09:58 PM
Guys just a heads up to your cargo trailer conversions. Always keep an eye on your shackles which hold your springs. Check the welds after every trip. The factory trailers and the welds are not made for off road. Had a problem with the Lodge welds which was a heads up from when I had the bearings serviced. Brought it to my attention and had everything welded to pretty much overkill. Nothing like loosing an axle on a trip.

scoutlt1
11-30-2020, 10:29 PM
Guys just a heads up to your cargo trailer conversions. Always keep an eye on your shackles which hold your springs. Check the welds after every trip. The factory trailers and the welds are not made for off road. Had a problem with the Lodge welds which was a heads up from when I had the bearings serviced. Brought it to my attention and had everything welded to pretty much overkill. Nothing like loosing an axle on a trip.
Good advice Hunterguy! I'll be checking mine for sure. Had a similar problem with an "off-road" tent trailer years ago.

Drillbit
12-08-2020, 11:19 PM
I run a 14" barndoor. Don't have the heart to cut holes in it so I just added to the back.

Fast to set up, takes under 20min to have it up with the stove lit.
I didn't bother insulating, but have a way bigger stove than in the picture with the stove. Same one, just bigger.
I have one of those magnet screen door things stapled around the man door.
The roof not over the stove is lexan, so it's like a big skylight.
I always just go in and out of the back thru the tarp.
Have another tent thing I set up on the side if needed. Would love an rv awning but they are big $.

Might sell it and buy a 16' so I can haul 3 atvs inside it. My 2 boys are getting bigger and want their own ride now.

https://i.imgur.com/ltccb8k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Y3ZmSMd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BpEAHgm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7euI2f0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SllkncV.jpg

Arctic Lake
12-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Drillbit. That’s a neat idea ! I think a window for fresh air circulation would be good but as you said you don’t want to cut holes in your trailer !
Arctic Lake

Drillbit
12-09-2020, 12:15 AM
Ya, thanks!

It works good. I just leave the man door open a bit and with the magnet screen it keeps the bugs out.

I would like to put a couple tinted sliders in with screens but haven't bothered, probably won't ever bother haha.

Didn't want to cut a hole in the roof either. My toyhauler vents (fantastic fans I think?) always wiggled open on the highway.

MRP
12-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Drillbit keep u eyes open and things come along. I lucked out at the auto-wreckers, got 5 rv windows and a 16' awning for $500. Awning needed minor TCL, I had to shorten it by 6", all ya need is a hacksaw and sowing machine. Took about 30min. I gather the bottle by the bed is fire starter?

Drillbit
12-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Drillbit keep u eyes open and things come along. I lucked out at the auto-wreckers, got 5 rv windows and a 16' awning for $500. Awning needed minor TCL, I had to shorten it by 6", all ya need is a hacksaw and sowing machine. Took about 30min. I gather the bottle by the bed is fire starter?
Ya, that's a pretty good deal.

Yep, that was the first set up test. Propane torch and box of kindling for lighting the stove. Ended up getting a way bigger stove. That one was like having a baby, had to feed it every 2 hours...
I sit the stove on an old road sign too now.

albravo2
12-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Dang, Drillbit, I don't think mine looked that tidy when it was new!

Nice work. I think I'll rig a similar expansion pack with my ramp door at the back.

Farmer001
12-09-2020, 06:27 PM
Nice Job Drillbit!!

Drillbit
12-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Dang, Drillbit, I don't think mine looked that tidy when it was new!

Nice work. I think I'll rig a similar expansion pack with my ramp door at the back.

Ya thanks, haha. After I sell mine, the next trailer I'm looking at to buy right now is a ramp door....

Im thinking a couple small jack-stands with a block of wood bolted on them so they don't wreck the door too bad.
Or maybe chains to hold it up? (I think my toyhauler had chains, had a screen room on the back ramp)

Then a simple tube frame that sits on the level ramp door.

And then have a canvas tent cover sewn up to throw over it all and use boat snaps around the trailer.
Have the chimney go out the back corner so it's easy to tarp, and have a door at the other back corner. Even just to use to throw wood in.

Would make it way roomier

There's always a way!