PDA

View Full Version : Best new gear?

Krico
10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
With Christmas on the way in under 2 months (and my b-day sooner) the Mrs. has asked for gift ideas. Who out there has tested out some new gear this year? What did you like/dislike and why?

bruin
10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Maybe it's time for a new hunting buggy ,tell her it can be for Birthday And Christmas!

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/300LiftedFordF650.jpg

10-24-2007, 07:50 PM
My insulated pants and jacket from Wally World have been good purchase. The day finally came to admit l just wasn't going to "squeeze" into the old threads anymore. If l was buying again l would get the 6-1 jacket as you can shed the inner liner. Found the one peice full insulated jacket sometimes too warm while hiking on a recent moose outing, but should be great come late year prowling. Price, under 200 bucks, and well worth it l thought......Judging from the amount of other hunters in the same gear, it must have been a popular item. :)

tuchodi
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I just purchased the Leica CRF1200 Range Finder In Canada this fall for less than they were listed in the USA. It was very usefull this elk hunting trip as a couple of places I guessed across a valley at 600 yds was only 450. A very good investment.

todbartell
10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
This year I picked up a few items I really really like.

Browning Hells Canyon jacket - watershedding, windproof, warm, quiet, BREATHABLE - great pocket system

Rivers West trail pant - Im amazed at these pants. quiet, waterproof, windproof, BREATHABLE, lower leg zippers, magnetic closure cargo pocket, zippered pockets

Columbia Monarch Pass wool jacket - unlined wool parka, with hood and big pockets, good price @ $140

so if you need clothes, those are what Id reccomend

Dirty
10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Here's another vote for the Browning Hell's Canyon Parka and Pants. Another important piece of gear would be a daypack or pack. There are lots of good daypacks out there notably the Badlands line of packs. For heavy duty packs the Eberlestock Just One seems to be very popular. Don't forget the new internal frame large capacity packs from Badlands. The Jim Shockey edition pack from Blacks Creek appears to be pretty interesting.

ape
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
http://www.riverswest.com/hifi.html

dougan
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
lansky sharpeners are not new but they are great

jackson13
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I would go with the rivers west clothes (if you need them). I have a jacket and pants..good stuff.

Derek_Erickson
10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes this riverswest I hear is the new cat's ass, anybody have any grueling rain stories or hiking stories? does it feel like your wearing a garbage bag? sweating yourself out, is it warm, and what do you have

thanks

338 winmag
10-26-2007, 08:17 AM
have read a few comments on the Alaskan hunting forums , the saying up there is riverswest kills , a few hypothermic sheep hunters coming off the mtns wearing the stuff .

pupper
10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
If you are looking for a good day pack the badlands 2200 is great. good pocket system. comfortable. I wrote a review for it here: http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/viewarticle/14/22

Don in BC
10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I have the riverswest trail pant and the ambush jacket, both in the original H2P. Two years now and I love them. Don't let anyone tell you they breath though cause they sure as hell don't. Nor will you find the word "breathable" on their web site. I have worn mine in driving rain storms, wind and sleet storms,and heavy snow. Once you understand what to wear under it, you have it made. If you like to hike from 3000ft to 5000 ft, you may like to look elsewhere, cause you will sweat. Would I buy it again. YES Have a look at the new H2Plaw. It is supposed to be lighter.

todbartell
10-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I find my trail pants to breath pretty good for a waterproof pant, although I havent done alot of real hard hiking in them yet, so maybe I am wrong. I know compared to my last pant (which is similar but made by ThermoKing) they breath big time. Nothing worse than being wet from sweat and staying wet

catwelder
10-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Check out Swanndri wool clothing out of new zealand, i have the original bushshirt and love it. If you are in the market for a new knife/saw combo i am super happy with my kodipak from outdoor edge.

todbartell
10-26-2007, 07:09 PM
oh yeah, speaking of Outdoor Edge, I picked up a SwingBlade and it looks great but I havent gotten to field test it yet

http://www.outdooredge.com/images/product/POPswingblade_prod.jpg

OOBuck
10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
If your going to go, go big!!

New Polaris 700cc twin

Rode yamaha, arctic cat, kawasaki & polaris
by far the polaris was the nicest machine...

BlacktailStalker
10-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Purchases I've been happy with and would recommend this year are the Eberlestock J104 pack, Sitka Gear mothwing mimicry camo (this stuff is wicked) windicator (essential item now) Crooked Horn Outfitters bino harness (best thing Ive ever bought for under $30, a couple years ago)

milroy
10-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Got a Rivers Wesr jacket, good if your sitting but forget about hiking in it, sweat way too much. Also the zippers are crap, first thing to do is get a good zipper put in, myself and 2 buds all blew the original zippers the first fall. I'd give them a 6 out of 10.

Sitkaspruce
10-28-2007, 10:58 AM
I was one of the original purchasers of RIvers West trail panyts and ambush jacket(at least that is what the company said to me when I ordered it). I have used the pants extensively for 5 years now and have had no complaints. They do not breath, but you can undo the zippers on the lower leg to help a little bit. I just bought another pair form the factory for $89. The jacket is great and it with stood a downpour yesterday with no problems. Just a little warm for the early season.

My great new gear purchases were a
Blacks-Creek "Canadian" pack. It is just like a J105/107, fully adjustable, lots of pockets and a great meat hauler up to elk quarters. It worked great on my elk hunt.
I recieved an awsome deal on a pair of Leupold 8x42 HD binos and have never looked back. They are the best I have ever looked through and to my eyes were better than the EL's and FL's and as good if not a little bit better than the Ultravids. Simple amazing glass!!
West Coast Tuxedo. Well not new but bought another one to replace the last one that lasted 5 years of very heavy use. I really hope that Stanfields never sells out to the Chineese or US and keeps their products MADE IN CANADA. Best outdoor shirt there is.

Roots
07-13-2009, 12:50 AM
oh yeah, speaking of Outdoor Edge, I picked up a SwingBlade and it looks great but I havent gotten to field test it yet

http://www.outdooredge.com/images/product/POPswingblade_prod.jpg

It's been nearly two years since this post and I'm curious how this knife has fared.... I was thinking of getting one. Would you recommend this knife to a hunting newbie? Any gripes? Thanks...

todbartell
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
good. really good. done a couple mulies, and an elk. The zipper part of the blade works like a charm. Nice grippy handle. Main blade is shaped well for skinning. Overall I am very happy!

Ciskman
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Anyone have the Blacks creek western backpack?? I am having a hard tiome finding a review on it

Brambles
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Well lets start with what I didn't like. SMARTWOOL LONG UNDERWEAR. If you want to get a nasty chill and feel clammy after you stop hiking then get this stuff.

OK now that i got that one out of my system.

SteriPen: really light weight way to sterilize water without affecting taste.

Sitka gear Core Zip T: Great feeling long underwear shirt that I use as a outer shirt while hunting. OK at keeping the stink down but too early to tell. Bicep pocket is great for holding elk reeds and flat stuff you need to get to fast ( as long as you're not wearing anything over top, then its locked in)

Sitka Core long undies: So far I likey, but I"ll let you know after I use it more

Sitka Traverse Long undies: I thought they would be thicker, basically the same as the Core with a thin fleece laminated to the inside. The Traverse Zip T, does have wrist loops which is nice

Sitka Rain Gear: Nice lightweight durable stuff, reasonably quiet for raingear. Good camo choices

Osprey Aether 85 pack: Nice pack, very comfortable, good for fast and light quick 3-4 day trips. Will have to take trips to haul meat out if sucessful because it probably can't take a full load of gear and meat.

MicroTex pants: So far, I wish I would have found these years ago. I likey alot.

Sitka Traverse Beanie: Keeps you cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather. Lightweight and dry's fast

Sitka Gear Gloves: Real nice padded palm synthetic gloves. Feel like suede leather but more comfy and dry quickly. Don't repel water at all but that crap always stays wet for too long.

Eberlestock Dragonfly J107: Great pack, a touch heavy compared to a camptrails but a little lighter than a Barney. This pack should be able to take a lot of weight, super spike duffel is the shizzle, gun scabbard is rockin, lots of room. You could probably put more stuff than you want to carry in this pack.

Patagonia Talus softshell jacket: Nice Jacket, wind resistant but wind does get through if its really stiff wind, Rain resistant which is usually more than a guy needs for most hunting, a good companion to the Sitka gear rain shell. Breathes GREAT, never had something that shed water and wind, insulated AND breathed as fast as you can sweat. AWESOME BREATHING

Swandri Bushirt: So far I can't say enough about this Jacket/Shirt. Its more of a Jacket. The wool is tight and doesn't let water through, surprisingly dries fast for wool, breaths well, keeps a guy warm in the rain. Long design keeps legs down to your knee area dry and warm.
I'll do a review on this shirt after i got some more miles under it. So far A+++.

Sierra Design Electron Tent: Good tent especially for the money, Very roomy for a solo tent and adequate space for a two person fast and light expedition. Lots of vestiblule room. Blocks wind very well, sets up FAST. Very decent weight for packing.

Ciskman
09-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Well lets start with what I didn't like. SMARTWOOL LONG UNDERWEAR. If you want to get a nasty chill and feel clammy after you stop hiking then get this stuff.

OK now that i got that one out of my system.

SteriPen: really light weight way to sterilize water without affecting taste.

Sitka gear Core Zip T: Great feeling long underwear shirt that I use as a outer shirt while hunting. OK at keeping the stink down but too early to tell. Bicep pocket is great for holding elk reeds and flat stuff you need to get to fast ( as long as you're not wearing anything over top, then its locked in)

Sitka Core long undies: So far I likey, but I"ll let you know after I use it more

Sitka Traverse Long undies: I thought they would be thicker, basically the same as the Core with a thin fleece laminated to the inside. The Traverse Zip T, does have wrist loops which is nice

Sitka Rain Gear: Nice lightweight durable stuff, reasonably quiet for raingear. Good camo choices

Osprey Aether 85 pack: Nice pack, very comfortable, good for fast and light quick 3-4 day trips. Will have to take trips to haul meat out if sucessful because it probably can't take a full load of gear and meat.

MicroTex pants: So far, I wish I would have found these years ago. I likey alot.

Sitka Traverse Beanie: Keeps you cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather. Lightweight and dry's fast

Sitka Gear Gloves: Real nice padded palm synthetic gloves. Feel like suede leather but more comfy and dry quickly. Don't repel water at all but that crap always stays wet for too long.

Eberlestock Dragonfly J107: Great pack, a touch heavy compared to a camptrails but a little lighter than a Barney. This pack should be able to take a lot of weight, super spike duffel is the shizzle, gun scabbard is rockin, lots of room. You could probably put more stuff than you want to carry in this pack.

Patagonia Talus softshell jacket: Nice Jacket, wind resistant but wind does get through if its really stiff wind, Rain resistant which is usually more than a guy needs for most hunting, a good companion to the Sitka gear rain shell. Breathes GREAT, never had something that shed water and wind, insulated AND breathed as fast as you can sweat. AWESOME BREATHING

Swandri Bushirt: So far I can't say enough about this Jacket/Shirt. Its more of a Jacket. The wool is tight and doesn't let water through, surprisingly dries fast for wool, breaths well, keeps a guy warm in the rain. Long design keeps legs down to your knee area dry and warm.
I'll do a review on this shirt after i got some more miles under it. So far A+++.

Sierra Design Electron Tent: Good tent especially for the money, Very roomy for a solo tent and adequate space for a two person fast and light expedition. Lots of vestiblule room. Blocks wind very well, sets up FAST. Very decent weight for packing.

That sitka is super nice stuff but man is it expensive....too expensive for me.(Sitka stormfront rainjacket only 776plus tax @ grouse river) Defiantly hope to see prices come down and hopefully some of the other companies will follow suit, make technical hunting clothing and get some competition out there.

Big7
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Just bought a Taiga, Thousand and One Nights sleeping bag rated to -18.....sick and tired of being cold! Spent a few nights in it so far and am I glad I spent the money! It is a little heavier than my "sheep" bag (the Taiga bag weighs 4.1lbs) but I won't be cold anymore on late season hunts! Also glad I bought the biggest size they make, I'm not a huge man but I HATE not being able to move my legs or arms when I sleep!

bigwhiteys
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Katadyne "Vario" water filter....

Having not ever filtered the water up north while sheep hunting I knew we'd be somewhere this year where running water may be scarce and we'd might be drinking out of some nasty spots.

For under $100 I was impressed with this filter. It pumps faster then the others I've researched in it's price point. 2 liters a minute on fast flow and 1 liter a minute on Long Life mode.

Easy to use and maintain.

Good Buy

Carl

CanuckShooter
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Do you hate vampire mosquitos?? Then buy a Thermacell.....best darned mosquito tool I've ever found, would rather have one Thermacell powered up than 100 mosquito coils.