PDA

View Full Version : Looking to hunt private land

srashti
11-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Hello, I'm new to hunting and was wondering if this is even an option. I would pay some money to do a blind hunt on Private land. I'm located in Fraser Valley but am willing to travel. I know deer season is almost over, but even arranging for next year would work.

RyoTHC
11-24-2020, 02:12 PM
Good luck.
people on here with private property hunt it themselves
people that don’t hunt certainly don’t want hunters they don’t know accessing their property for liability reasons.

what’s wrong with the hundreds of thousands of acres of crown land in BC, too tough hunting ?

srashti
11-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Good luck.
people on here with private property hunt it themselves
people that don’t hunt certainly don’t want hunters they don’t know accessing their property for liability reasons.

what’s wrong with the hundreds of thousands of acres of crown land in BC, too tough hunting ?

Nothing wrong with crown land. I am exploring different options. But, I appreciate the point about the liability part, didn't think of that.

longrifle
11-24-2020, 02:35 PM
All you can do is put some miles on your vehicle and knock on some doors and ask...You never know, you may just gain access to land that was thought to be not accessible.

'rifle

srashti
11-24-2020, 02:40 PM
All you can do is put some miles on your vehicle and knock on some doors and ask...You never know, you may just gain access to land that was thought to be not accessible.

'rifle

thanks for the advice

Downtown
11-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Some time ago I was approached by a Rancher loosing Livestock to a Pack of Wolves. He asked me if I would be willing to try putting a dent into that Pack.
I agreed under the condition that I would be allowed to hunt Moose while I was there. Worked out perfectly for both of us.

If the Landowner (including Mosaic) realizes a benefit from you hunting his Lands, you definitely have a better chance receiving permission. Some City Slickers get that the Crowd on the red an/or Green side of the political spectrum not so much.

Cheers

srashti
11-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Some time ago I was approached by a Rancher loosing Livestock to a Pack of Wolves. He asked me if I would be willing to try putting a dent into that Pack.
I agreed under the condition that I would be allowed to hunt Moose while I was there. Worked out perfectly for both of us.

If the Landowner (including Mosaic) realizes a benefit from you hunting his Lands, you definitely have a better chance receiving permission. Some City Slickers get that the Crowd on the red an/or Green side of the political spectrum not so much.

Cheers

Sounds like a great deal. I'm definitely open to those kind of ideas. The best deal is a win-win deal.

xlcc
11-24-2020, 05:12 PM
When you ask to hunt on private land,introduce yourself and it is a good idea to provide some information about yourself written on paper.
Your full name,address,phone number and hunting licence.
If you are turned down at the door tell them they have your info and they can think about it when they have more time and call you at more conveinent time.
This has worked for me.

srashti
11-24-2020, 05:35 PM
When you ask to hunt on private land,introduce yourself and it is a good idea to provide some information about yourself written on paper.
Your full name,address,phone number and hunting licence.
If you are turned down at the door tell them they have your info and they can think about it when they have more time and call you at more conveinent time.
This has worked for me.
Great Advice, thank you

Redthies
11-24-2020, 06:15 PM
Good luck. People that don’t hunt certainly don’t want hunters they don’t know accessing their property for liability reasons.

While I am clearly a hunter, I would not be interested in having other people I don’t know hunt my land, no matter how big a piece of property it was. That said, I have standing permission to hunt a 700 acre ranch in the west kootenays. I have even gone as far as saying to the land owner “Are you sure you’re ok with me hunting your land? There are liability questions...” and telling him I wouldn’t let strangers hunt my property. He doesn’t care. I make sure I treat both he and his land with the utmost respect, and so far every time I’ve showed up, I’ve been welcomed.

horseman2
11-24-2020, 06:38 PM
Please tell them about your life experiences that would be of benefit to a rancher or farmer . . . drive a tractor, haul bales or silage, fox bench, wrestle calves at branding, welding, mechanics or carpentry.

srashti
11-24-2020, 07:12 PM
While I am clearly a hunter, I would not be interested in having other people I don’t know hunt my land, no matter how big a piece of property it was. That said, I have standing permission to hunt a 700 acre ranch in the west kootenays. I have even gone as far as saying to the land owner “Are you sure you’re ok with me hunting your land? There are liability questions...” and telling him I wouldn’t let strangers hunt my property. He doesn’t care. I make sure I treat both he and his land with the utmost respect, and so far every time I’ve showed up, I’ve been welcomed.
You’re a lucky guy. Although as you said it’s a two way relationship, you have obviously left a great impression on the land owner.

srashti
11-24-2020, 07:15 PM
Please tell them about your life experiences that would be of benefit to a rancher or farmer . . . drive a tractor, haul bales or silage, fox bench, wrestle calves at branding, welding, mechanics or carpentry.
That’s also a great idea. I am a farmer myself, with most if those experiences. No deer on my property though.

whitlers
11-24-2020, 08:01 PM
I hunt a ranch in Reg 3. Have had permission from the owner for some time. It still amazes me and the ranchers son's how many people try and hunt the property without permission.

Being polite and asking properly can go a long way.

srashti
11-24-2020, 08:44 PM
I hunt a ranch in Reg 3. Have had permission from the owner for some time. It still amazes me and the ranchers son's how many people try and hunt the property without permission.

Those are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us.

Redthies
11-24-2020, 10:30 PM
It still amazes me and the ranchers son's how many people try and hunt the property without permission.

The neighbor to the ranch I’m lucky enough to be allowed on has called the COs on lots of guys on his land. I don’t blame the guy, but he saw me on his neighbors land once and came flying in hot in his pickup and blew out the shot I was just lining up. The two neighbors have a bit of a feud going... I should have called the COs on the clown for interfering in a legal hunt to make a point, but I want no part of the feud.