PDA

View Full Version : Big griz came in on us.

hunter1947
10-24-2007, 04:07 PM
One evening me and trigger were cow calling elk ,then all of a sudden trigger said big Griz coming in ,i said wear ,he pointed there ,i looked and it was a big boar coming strait towards us in an open slash . We yelled at it at the top of our lungs and waved our arms at it , but it still keep coming towards us. We talked about what we should do next when it was 150 yards away. Trigger said i will shoot a shot beside it ,i said OK ,he then took a shot with his 3006 ,the bear still keep coming ,so i then took a shot over its back with my 7mm ,it still keep coming. We both looked at one and another when it was about 100 yards from us, we said lets hightail it out of hear fast so we did ,we kept an eye on him to see if he would charge ,thank god he didn't. We got up to this old road and keeps on running and looking back ,but no sign of the Griz coming.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

RMG
10-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Man bet the hairs on the back of ye ole necks was standin straight up.

Sharkey
10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Well - looks like I'll be having a nice nightmare tonight!! Lots of stories about Grizzles today...
~

Dayto
10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I just got back from Region 5 12 Grizzlys , some as close as 80 yrds .. Its wasent a good thing soon as gun shot rang out(at a animal) sure enuf a grizz would step out sniffing around must be a dinner bell for them up there .

CanAm500
10-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Wouldnt you turn and try to get away before taking shots at the girzzly?

Just my
$.02

Will
10-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Lot's of Folks in the Bush during season..........Lots of bears too.
Bound to cross paths sooner or later;-)

Sure makes one's ar$ pucker though :lol:

Allen50
10-24-2007, 06:38 PM
well of course the bear did not catch up to you, he was slipping in what you left behind !!!,, no just kidden, not a fun place to be, well at least you got home to tell us the story, in stead of us reading it in the paper,, wow to close for comfort....

MRBucks
10-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Just my
$.02

They were not shooting "at" the grizzly, they just fired warning shots, to try and scare it away.

Those big buggers can ruin a hunting trip. I never feel comfortable hunting alone in an area that has one around. More than once I have had to backtrack out of an area after seeing it thick with grizzly sign. It seems there is still a good strong population of them in some areas of the province.

I wish the natives would bag a few more, since they seem to have a general open season on anything, anytime.:wink:

hunter1947
10-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Just my
$.02 We figured that by shooting towards it might scare it off ,but no way ,this Griz thought we were elk and i guess he has heard gun shots lots of times before ,so when shooting our rifles off just invited him in for dinner time.

Chuck
10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
We figured that by shooting towards it might scare it off ,but no way ,this Griz thought we were elk and i guess he has heard gun shots lots of times before ,so when shooting our rifles off just invited him in for dinner time.

Probably heard the cow, then heard it get shot (twice) and then it just kept coming in for supper. Ya, but what else could you do besides wait till he's right up to you and pepper spray him? I wonder what would happen if a guy tried a can of that ether spray (quick start) and a bic lighter. Like how to make a cat woof like a dog? LOL.

boxhitch
10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
And I suppose a 12 ga. with bean bags or rubber bullets would be 'harassment'?

porcupine
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
A few years back, and very early in my moose 7 year hunting career, I bought a moose call figuring it would keep the freezer full every year. So on one of the first days out, I parked the truck about a quarter of a mile from the end of a logging road and hiked into the back end of the slash. There was an old landing there and an open area about 100 yards across. At the turnaround at the end of the landing was a big pile of old logs. One side of the pile was in the open and the other side was bordering the brush which was adjacent to heavy cover. I debated whether to hide on the brushy side or hide by the open side. I decided on the open side and proceeded to blow on the moose call for the first time ever. I made three calls and then waited. In less than two minutes I see the trees shaking and the brush moving as something big came straight at me. I figured just my luck to call in a big moose right away when I could only shoot an immature. Then, about 30 to 40 yards away and on the brushy side of the wood pile, a pair of grizzlies appear. They stand and look around and then start throwing stumps and debris all around. I just about S**t myself. I'm from Vancouver Island and have seen lots of big back bears, including some that made the record book, but these were much bigger. They looked to stand about 7 feet tall. One had a beautiful coat with blond legs and a brown back, the other more towards the classic brown silvertip. I had my camera in my pocket and thought about taking a picture, but quickly changed my mind. I hunkered down out of sight, fortunately I had the wind in my favor and snuck back to the truck and got the heck out of there. I renamed my moose call "my grizzly call" and left the area. I went back a few days later and they sure made a mess of a bunch of rotting wood. I guess they were eating bugs and heard the moose call and thought all was safe. I sure didn't think that way.
________
launch box vaporizer (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

hunter1947
10-25-2007, 06:22 AM
A few years back, and very early in my moose 7 year hunting career, I bought a moose call figuring it would keep the freezer full every year. So on one of the first days out, I parked the truck about a quarter of a mile from the end of a logging road and hiked into the back end of the slash. There was an old landing there and an open area about 100 yards across. At the turnaround at the end of the landing was a big pile of old logs. One side of the pile was in the open and the other side was bordering the brush which was adjacent to heavy cover. I debated whether to hide on the brushy side or hide by the open side. I decided on the open side and proceeded to blow on the moose call for the first time ever. I made three calls and then waited. In less than two minutes I see the trees shaking and the brush moving as something big came straight at me. I figured just my luck to call in a big moose right away when I could only shoot an immature. Then, about 30 to 40 yards away and on the brushy side of the wood pile, a pair of grizzlies appear. They stand and look around and then start throwing stumps and debris all around. I just about S**t myself. I'm from Vancouver Island and have seen lots of big back bears, including some that made the record book, but these were much bigger. They looked to stand about 7 feet tall. One had a beautiful coat with blond legs and a brown back, the other more towards the classic brown silvertip. I had my camera in my pocket and thought about taking a picture, but quickly changed my mind. I hunkered down out of sight, fortunately I had the wind in my favor and snuck back to the truck and got the heck out of there. I renamed my moose call "my grizzly call" and left the area. I went back a few days later and they sure made a mess of a bunch of rotting wood. I guess they were eating bugs and heard the moose call and thought all was safe. I sure didn't think that way.
That's why i like to hunt with someone else when i am in Griz country ,two rifles are better then one when incountering a bear.:roll: