PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift ideas for the hunter/bird hunter

Bustercluck
11-22-2020, 07:53 PM
Just thought I’d start a thread for gift ideas. I know every person on this site has something they want for christmas(wether you plan on buying it for yourself or someone else getting it for you). Let er fly

Im trying to find something for my oldest. I bought him a 410 recently for chasing grouse and he wants to start hunting deer next fall, so I’ll be looking for some stuff for him. He wants to start target shooting too.

caddisguy
11-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Good thread.

My wife dislikes her scope, but likes mine. I have to do some digging. Hers came with the Savage Axis 2 and mine came with the Savage Axis. Both Bushnell scopes I believe but not sure what models. The end you look through on her scope is a lot smaller. Doesn't bother me much, almost tempted to just swap but would prefer to get her one like mine.

In case anyone here was thinking of buying for me:

- Apeman trailcams
- Beef jerky
- 30-06 150gr, 12ga anything just surprise me, 22LR
- Over under rifle shotgun como
- Chainsaw
- Havalon Barracuda blades
- Duct tape and shope towels are great stocking stuffers along with AA batteries and SD cards, propane, isopro butane

Back to others lol ... Head lamps, hand warmers, buddy heaters, compass, doghouse blinds, fire starters

Memberships for CCFR, BCFW and other causes

OH and those jump starter / tire compressor jump starter kits (I stop to help with jumping and tires at least 10x / year so I know people need those)

Pocket rocket stoves and other portable stoves, cook sets...

Don't forget IOU cards for wife massages and foot rubs, they like those

Drillbit
11-22-2020, 11:51 PM
Don't forget IOU cards for wife massages and foot rubs, they like those

Bang Bucks? Ya, that's the slipperiest slope you'll ever have to crawl out of..... Haha

Great thread. I need some ideas too.

Havalon knives seem to be a good one. Good headlamp. Fiskars camp axe. Brick of 22LR. can of G96. Tape measure. work Gloves. hammer. fencin pliers. Tuck tape.

caddisguy
11-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Bang Bucks? Ya, that's the slipperiest slope you'll ever have to crawl out of..... Haha

caddisguy is my name and crawling, up, down, around and out of things is my game :D (mostly because my legs hurt because of beatings from IOU debts and what not)

The havalon, headlamp and 22 good tho right? 3/4 not bad

Drillbit
11-23-2020, 01:02 AM
Quit crawling around and stand tall and proud!

great list ideas so far haha.

Leatherman wave is another good one.

VLD43
11-23-2020, 11:50 AM
First thing I would consider getting him is a good pair of Binoculars. Good boots, a small day pack, some survival gear for his pack, compass, book on how to use a compass, a small knife, good hunting clothing, some para cord for his pack, a bird hunting vest and the list goes on. Hope you got lots of money to spend LOL.

nature girl
11-23-2020, 06:18 PM
Bustercluck how about a gift certificate from a hunting store for your son or
knive
sharpener
camera
walkie talkies
journal so he can write down about his hunts
binos
good sun glasses to protect them eyes while hunting

IslandWanderer
11-23-2020, 06:20 PM
https://secure.bcndp.org/join/

Rob Chipman
11-23-2020, 06:24 PM
^^^^ Not as funny as the free money post. You gotta up your game.

IslandWanderer
11-23-2020, 06:30 PM
^^^^ Not as funny as the free money post. You gotta up your game.

You're right. I can do better.

Bustercluck
11-23-2020, 07:17 PM
I’m leaning towards a bird vest or some binos. He has quite a bit of gear already for hiking. He usually does at least one(or more) 5-6 day backpacking trips with me each year and he actually has a booth at our local market where he sells paracord quick deploys, bracelets and hanks.

Keta1969
11-23-2020, 08:30 PM
I liked the compass and course to learn how to use it idea but perhaps that's all ready done. Can never go wrong with that low tech knowledge. Maybe a 22 for targets.

Rieber
11-23-2020, 08:41 PM
A pet Budgie or Parakeet

One must learn to love birds before being able to respect the hunt of birds.

albravo2
11-23-2020, 08:42 PM
I agree with Drillbit's idea of a Leatherman Wave. Been essential kit for me for a long, long time. Sort of soft steel but I can get a wicked edge on mine.

Also, a good headlamp or a good lighter are good ideas. Fatwood is cheap if you find it yourself and it makes an excellent gift.

caddisguy
11-23-2020, 08:48 PM
A pet Budgie or Parakeet

One must learn to love birds before being able to respect the hunt of birds.

Fun fact: Budgie is short for "Budgerigar" which is an English version of the Aborigine term "betcherrygah", which means "good to eat" :D

Rob Chipman
11-23-2020, 08:48 PM
I’m leaning towards .... some binos.

Now that you bring that up I gotta say: I really appreciate my bino holders. Holds the bios nicely in front, protects them, easy to access, makes me use the binos a lot - they really are a good addition that I appreciate and I'm a pretty minimalist gear guy.

Improvement on what I have (Horn Hunters) would be a good range finder pocket. Currently I keep it on a string under my shirt and pull it out when I need it, but a good secure pocket on the bio holders would be good.

VLD43
11-23-2020, 09:37 PM
I’m leaning towards a bird vest or some binos. He has quite a bit of gear already for hiking. He usually does at least one(or more) 5-6 day backpacking trips with me each year and he actually has a booth at our local market where he sells paracord quick deploys, bracelets and hanks.

I have always suggested to new hunters that good optics are one of the first things to buy. As we all know, good binos and good boots are probably two of the most used items on any big game hunting trip.

walks with deer
11-23-2020, 09:39 PM
adult magazines and a mickey..lol