PDA

View Full Version : Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

Ruger.270
11-18-2020, 02:21 PM
Looking for a buy once cry once option on a pack that would serve well for a 1 to 3 day hunt (mostly 1 day) but capable of hauling meat, either a whole boned out mule deer or an elk/moose quarter.

Thinking possible stone glacier somewhere in the 3000-4000 size, but hard to decide on particulars of frame and bag.

Living on Vancouver Island so it will be used in the rain and pushing through bush if I do alpine/remote timber hunts with it here. Accordingly, the noise and waterproof-ness of the pack are major concerns. Would also like the option for an external quick access rifle carrier (or perhaps just strap on the kifaru gun-bearer regardless of whether I get a kifaru pack if it is compatible with other brands???).

Hoping to also do some alpine mule deer hunting in the interior in coming years so comfort level on long hikes is going to matter for that plus the ability to carry a moderate amount of gear.

Would like to keep this under $1,000 with all necessary accessories.

Suggestions?

HarryToolips
11-18-2020, 02:41 PM
I use the Eberlestock F1 mainframe with the F65 Little bigTop and J2DB dry bag, works well for me...

thomas300
11-18-2020, 02:51 PM
I use the stone glacier evo 40/56 if you want simplistic and super light I recommend this. One main pocket and one side pocket for a spotter I then use dry bags to separate stuff in the main bag like food ect. The SKY frames are great my buddy has one and loves it I like my evo frame it’s comfy no complaints either. Exo makes a great bag and really if you got the coin just buy a Kifaru they are the best from what I’ve heard. Also been hearing good things about seek outdoors bags I know a couple guys running then.

Treed
11-18-2020, 03:00 PM
I have a Mystery Ranch metcalf and really like it. I think Italian Sporting carries them, so you could check them out. It compresses down really small, so it works for day hunts too. I have a Kifaru gun bearer, great way to go. It is so fast to get the gun up to your shoulder (faster than having the gun slung over your shoulder). Bit of a pain taking the pack off and on but only 30 seconds or so of taking the gun out and putting it back in when you get your pack on again. When my gun is in it, I hold the barrel with one hand when glassing, it makes it almost like having a rest. Much more stable.

oddsix
11-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Exo Mountain Gear k2 2000 or k3 1800. The k3 belt/suspension is very comfortable under weight and hauls meet well.

swampthing
11-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Exo and kifaru are certainly top shelf but they run north of $1000 by a bit! The stone glacier would be an awesome choice and check out mystery ranch as well. They have great packs for around $750-800 before taxes. And by all means get a kifaru gunbearer. They are cheap and work excellent!

swampthing
11-18-2020, 06:30 PM
And mystery ranch can be found in multiple stores so you can actually see it before you buy it!

tuner
11-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Mystery Ranch Pintler.

todbartell
11-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Mystery Ranch Metcalf

whitlers
11-18-2020, 09:35 PM
Would be tough to do an overnight trip with anything under 4000 in my opinion. My kuiu 3600 is stuffed full on a gear intensive day hunt in cold weather. Couldn't imagine cramming a tent in there.

I would be looking for something atleast 5500 or more.

If I could do it over again I would go with the MR Marshall or an Exo 6400.

I currently run the Kuiu 3600 as a day pack and throw on the 7200 for multi night trips.

Treed
11-18-2020, 10:57 PM
Mystery Ranch Metcalf

The definitive voice.

Bustercluck
11-18-2020, 11:33 PM
I like the mystery ranch. A little bit heavier than other options, but super comfy. I run the Marshall, but the metcalf would do you.

russm86
11-19-2020, 08:53 AM
Seek Outside, Kifaru, or Stone Glacier... I have all 3 and still undecided which is my favorite. If it weren't for COVID and you lived nearby I'd offer trying them on for fit.

Ruger.270
11-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

I spent a bunch of time looking at the various proposed options last night. The Mystery Ranch Metcalf with a Kirafu universal gun bearer is what I am currently leaning towards.

For a guy who is 6'1 and 195 what size in the Metcalf do you guys think would work? There seemed to be quite a bit of confusion on sizing of the newer versions of this pack when I was reading about it on another forum...

Mark-R
11-19-2020, 10:18 AM
The Mystery Ranch Metcalf with a Kirafu universal gun bearer is what I am currently leaning towards.

Great setup, it's what I run also.

New Mystery Ranch packs have the molle webbing so you could use the standard Kifaru gun bearer instead of the universal I believe.
I'll be upgrading to the newer Metcalf for the improved waistbelt so I'll be using that new sizing chart.
My old pack is a large but swapped the belt for a medium as I would max it out on heavy loads. I'm a 34" waist normally but at the end of a week long hunt, that can change.

p.s. great sale here on older packs
https://shop.rampartcorp.com/packs/hunting/

Greenthumbed
11-22-2020, 07:56 PM
Here’s another vote for the MR Metcalf. I use a MR Crewcab for my day hunt pack too. They are both great!

Danny_29
11-22-2020, 08:10 PM
I'd be looking really hard at one of the stone glacier expedition packs. They work for a 1-3 day pack pretty well in bivy mode, but you still have the option of going for a couple weeks if the opportunity presents itself. Lots of good brands but if you are buying only one pack don't choose a limiting version.

Bustercluck
11-22-2020, 08:48 PM
I don’t know if anybody else is having this issue, but my rifle is starting to wear through my waist belt from my gun bearer. I’m going to have to put a patch or a rub guard on it for next year. The gun bearer is the best setup, hands down, just thought I’d mention it in case you guys wanted to throw something on your belt before it wears through like mine.
https://i.imgur.com/0gua99U.jpg

Ruger.270
11-23-2020, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone!

Hoping there are some sales on the MR packs in Canada for black friday...

Bustercluck
11-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone!

Hoping there are some sales on the MR packs in Canada for black friday...

Rampart seems to put sales on in the spring. They just had a sale you missed a few weeks ago.

donny.brooke
11-24-2020, 08:58 PM
EXO MTN is having a Black Friday sale. Buy once cry once.

3than
11-24-2020, 09:33 PM
From what ive seen MR, Stone glacier, Kifaru seem to be best of the best. I also just picked up a tatonka lastenkraxe that seems solid and should work quite well as a backpack/meat hauler for a good price.

Ruger.270
11-25-2020, 09:53 AM
After poking around on the internet the last few days these Metcalf packs seem surprisingly hard to find in B.C. in a medium waist belt in the 2020 model with the upgraded frame (did find 1 2019 model) ... except Cabelas of course. I would rather buy from a smaller BC retailer if possible. If anyone has a line on a 2020 model, preferably in a solid colour, size medium I'd love to hear!

Weatherby Fan
11-25-2020, 10:08 AM
I use a MR Crewcab/guidelight frame for my DayPack which Im sure I could make do for a cpl nights but I would rather use the Marshall bag for multi night outings.

264mag
11-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Any of the big name packs will work just fine. The biggest thing will be finding one that fits you. The frames and bags are all designed to carry heavy loads. I have tried them all and settled on EXO a few years back. I started with the K2 system and then bought the same setup for my 3 kids. I upgraded to the K3 last year and have hauled out sheep, elk, moose and deer with it. It works well for me and the customer service is outstanding. They are small enough to care and big enough to back up what they sell.

I have also had great customer service from Kifaru.

Weatherby Fan
11-25-2020, 10:57 AM
Any of the big name packs will work just fine. The biggest thing will be finding one that fits you. The frames and bags are all designed to carry heavy loads. I have tried them all and settled on EXO a few years back. I started with the K2 system and then bought the same setup for my 3 kids. I upgraded to the K3 last year and have hauled out sheep, elk, moose and deer with it. It works well for me and the customer service is outstanding. They are small enough to care and big enough to back up what they sell.

I have also had great customer service from Kifaru.

As 264mag says all the big name pack makers are awesome, it really just comes down to what fits you best and your needs,

Ive owned most of them also, Stone Glacier 6900, Exo Mtn Gear 5500, Kuiu, MR Nice 5500 and MR Guidelight/crewcab/Marshal, and for me nothing fits me better and is more comfortable than the MR frames but Im on the chunky side, my skinny little brother loves his Kuiu pack which I cant even get the waist belt done up on !

Ruger.270
11-25-2020, 02:27 PM
Just scooped one in subalpine for 20% off from Nechako outdoors on their Black Friday sale! Although I would have preferred a solid, I just can't pass up a good sale.

Looks like they have another in large in stock on sale for anyone else who is looking.

Ruger.270
11-30-2020, 09:37 AM
Got my Metcalf delivered on Saturday morning, and put a light load of 30 pounds in and went for a 6 km light hike. The thing couldn't be any comfier. I was very impressed.

Now to test it with some more substantial weight and see.

Feels incredibly well built.

Fabric I can see being a bit noises with branches hitting it would be my only concern so far, although among the packs my buddies have none of them would be overly stealthy either.

Bustercluck
11-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Mystery ranch seems to perform better with the more weight you put in them. I find it fits funny when it’s loaded light. I was training with over 90pounds in mine.

Now do yourself a favour and get a gun bearer to go with it. Don’t waste your time with the mystery ranch sling.

Ruger.270
11-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Yes I will likely get the gun-bearer next. The MR sling looks pretty hokey to me.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction on this, plus a big thanks to Nechako outdoors for being Johnny on the spot with the super quick processing and shipping.