PDA

View Full Version : Legislation Proposed to ban importing trophies into Canada

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2020, 05:41 AM
Not good.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/316678/Goodall-backs-senator-s-proposed-law-to-protect-captive-animals-ban-elephant-ivory#316678

338win mag
11-18-2020, 07:03 AM
I gave Murry Sinclair a chance, I see him now as a fake and a phoney with an agenda. I lost all respect for him previous to this latest stupid idea, he will say whatever he is told to say, his agenda is an indigenous one.

Ride Red
11-18-2020, 07:35 AM
Well, there goes my plan to buy a gorilla. Great for packing in/out and grizzly protection around my tent at night. :(

Ride Red
11-18-2020, 07:46 AM
I gave Murry Sinclair a chance, I see him now as a fake and a phoney with an agenda. I lost all respect for him previous to this latest stupid idea, he will say whatever he is told to say, his agenda is an indigenous one.

That’s all this is; further the agenda. I have zero respect for government and activists. PH’s are under fire more than ever now and if imports are banned, hunts aren’t sold, African big game will lose all current protection put in place and poachers will slaughter everything salable. Then the local economy and wild game food supply will cease resulting in starvation for the local people. Why people can’t play the tape out to the end and see the greater harm this causes vs the so-called short term gain. Work with these people, not against them.

11-18-2020, 09:06 AM
If this passes, and I do an Wyoming elk hunt, can I not bring it back into Canada?

Blockcaver
11-18-2020, 09:16 AM
My question as well...antlers from a Coues deer from AZ, horns off a pronghorn from WY, etc? In most cases you have to have them to transport the meat if you are hunting on a buck tag. Would like to see the particulars of the ban so we can respond appropriately.

brian
11-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Don’t you all be getting your knickers in a knot just yet. The proposed hunting trophies ban is in regards to elephants and only elephants. Mostly the rest of the bill has to do with legislating the trade and captivity of whales/dolphins, primates, and elephants. To me it seems like this bill is aimed at zoos, aquariums, and people who own exotic animals. Also keep in mind this is just a bill that has been introduced, it has not gone through any of its readings committees and all the other stuff bills have to go through. Here is a full reading of the bill
https://parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-2/bill/S-218/first-reading

Ride Red
11-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Don’t you all be getting your knickers in a knot just yet. The proposed hunting trophies ban is in regards to elephants and only elephants. Mostly the rest of the bill has to do with legislating the trade and captivity of whales/dolphins, primates, and elephants. To me it seems like this bill is aimed at zoos, aquariums, and people who own exotic animals. Also keep in mind this is just a bill that has been introduced, it has not gone through any of its readings committees and all the other stuff bills have to go through. Here is a full reading of the bill

True, but don’t believe for second that this government won’t jam a bill through to further themselves into the next vote.

Walking Buffalo
11-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Nope. This is just the next step of many already planned out. And once they start getting momentum....

It is much easier to stop the forward motion of this anti-hunting agenda now compared to when it gets rolling again.

Just look at other jurisdictions that have already legislated what this bill proposes...
They will not stop there.

Re-read these paragraphs from the preamble.

"Whereas a ban on trade in elephant ivory and the collection of elephant hunting trophies in Canada will help to conserve elephant populations and encourage bans in other countries;

Whereas Parliament may enact criminal laws and laws to regulate international trade and commerce in relation to animals, and provincial legislatures may enact laws in relation to property and civil rights, including granting legal standing to captive cetaceans, great apes, elephants and certain other non-domesticated animals, thus enabling orders in their best interests by their own right;"

Licenced elephant hunting is not negetively ipacting populations.
This objective is based on lies.

The desire to give animals "legal standing"....
This is from those who believe all animals should have equal protection under the law as humans do.
This is a thin wedge to get the door opened.

Retiredguy
11-18-2020, 01:40 PM
Banning elephant hunting and the import of elephant "trophies" by legally licensed hunters will have the exact opposite affect of what these morons propose. When the elephants are not worth something to the locals by providing both monetary benefits from the jobs created and kickbacks from the license and trophy fees, and badly needed protein from the meat, they become nothing but a liability to them. Elephants routinely eat and trample crops, not to mention killing the locals who try to chase them away and protect their crops.

When there are no safari companies in the bush, indiscriminate poaching runs rampant. It is the safari companies that provide large sums of money and manpower to not only support local anti-poaching units, but build schools and other badly needed local infrastructure such as water wells and solar power.

It is so easy for the uninformed to let their emotions be a dead runaway and back the passing of laws that will cause the annihilation of the animals they claim to know so much about, not to mention the sever negative impact to the people who live there and with the animals. People also need to realize that photo safaris cannot fix things EVERYWHERE. As with all forms of tourism there is still a max number to the client base out there and in most instances safari hunting takes place in areas that would not support non-consumptive tourism. Just the way it is.

brian
11-18-2020, 07:41 PM
True, but don’t believe for second that this government won’t jam a bill through to further themselves into the next vote.
This is not a bill put forward by the sitting elected government, it is a bill introduced into the senate by a senator. It has to pass three readings and committee all of which have the possibility of altering the wording of the text. Then it has to pass a similar process in the legislature and the wordings of both bills that pass much match. It has a loooooong way to go before it is even close to a law. What you have here is basically the wording of a law based on the work of a single senator.

brian
11-18-2020, 07:51 PM
Nope. This is just the next step of many already planned out. And once they start getting momentum....

It is much easier to stop the forward motion of this anti-hunting agenda now compared to when it gets rolling

I won’t argue with you that animal rights groups strategy is to chip away at issues like legal hunting. But what are you going to do about a senator introducing a bill into senate? Anyone of them can introduce anything they want. That doesn’t mean it will make it to law. Anybody remember that senator that introduced the draconian firearms bill? There was a lot of gnashing of teeth back then. That bill is dead. So all I am saying is, chill! Read the bill and make informed structured criticism. Follow its progress if you must and see what happens to it after a few readings.

Ride Red
11-18-2020, 08:15 PM
Murray Sinclair
BiographySenator Sinclair served the justice system in Manitoba for over 25 years. He was the first Aboriginal Judge appointed in Manitoba and Canada’s second.
He served as Co-Chair of the Aboriginal Justice Inquiry in Manitoba and as Chief Commissioner of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC). As head of the TRC, he participated in hundreds of hearings across Canada, culminating in the issuance of the TRC’s report in 2015. He also oversaw an active multi-million dollar fundraising program to support various TRC events and activities, and to allow survivors to travel to attend TRC events.
Senator Sinclair has been invited to speak throughout Canada, the United States and internationally, including the Cambridge Lectures for members of the Judiciary of various Commonwealth Courts in England.
He served as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Manitoba. He was very active within his profession and his community and has won numerous awards, including the National Aboriginal Achievement Award, the Manitoba Bar Association’s Equality Award (2001) and its Distinguished Service Award (2016) and has received Honorary Doctorates from 8 Canadian universities. Senator Sinclair was appointed to the Senate on April 2, 2016.

Ride Red
11-18-2020, 08:19 PM
This is not a bill put forward by the sitting elected government, it is a bill introduced into the senate by a senator. It has to pass three readings and committee all of which have the possibility of altering the wording of the text. Then it has to pass a similar process in the legislature and the wordings of both bills that pass much match. It has a loooooong way to go before it is even close to a law. What you have here is basically the wording of a law based on the work of a single senator.

I understand how it works Brian, but I don’t view anything with this government as little. Look how the gun reclassification was rolled out; it wasn’t voted on, just crammed down our throats.

338win mag
11-18-2020, 11:06 PM
Fak people are sheep... like.

IronNoggin
11-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Whereas Parliament may enact criminal laws and laws to regulate international trade and commerce in relation to animals, and provincial legislatures may enact laws in relation to property and civil rights, including granting legal standing to captive cetaceans, great apes, elephants and certain other non-domesticated animals, thus enabling orders in their best interests by their own right;"

Licenced elephant hunting is not negatively impacting populations.
This objective is based on lies.

The desire to give animals "legal standing"....
This is from those who believe all animals should have equal protection under the law as humans do.
This is a thin wedge to get the door opened.

Nailed it.
Having CITES shut the door on many such ambitions, they now seek other avenues to press their agendas.
Be forewarned, let this slide and we ALL will suffer the consequences.

Nog

brian
11-19-2020, 06:48 PM
I understand how it works Brian, but I don’t view anything with this government as little. Look how the gun reclassification was rolled out; it wasn’t voted on, just crammed down our throats.
if you understand how it works then how come you are comparing an order in council with a bill introduced to the senate? I agree with you, I don’t trust Trudeau any farther than I spit. Usually that just ends up dribbling off my chin. But these are two totally different things.

Ride Red
11-19-2020, 07:05 PM
if you understand how it works then how come you are comparing an order in council with a bill introduced to the senate? I agree with you, I don’t trust Trudeau any farther than I spit. Usually that just ends up dribbling off my chin. But these are two totally different things.

They are different; do you know the relationship between Jt and Murray Sinclair? If you did, then you’d see how easily this could be pushed through and again rammed down our throats.

Retiredguy
11-20-2020, 08:48 AM
I have been told SCI is going to get on top of this. I hope other orgs do the same. All hunters need to contact their relevant govt types and tell them what they think about this BS.