PDA

View Full Version : Walking down a cougar.

Firstblood
11-16-2020, 11:43 PM
Well, this winter is gunna be interesting for me so I have this crazy idea....again. I want to walk down a cat on snow shoes, I mean find a good track in the pre dawn hours in fresh snow and follow it till I see the cat at the end, cougar or lynx. It sounds like a lot of effort and it is, I tried this a few winters a go but didnt have lots of time on my hands although I did manage to get close, one lynx went up a huge fir and I just could not spot it, and twice I was within 50yds of cougars but they caught on to me following them, circled back through thick stuff and found my tracks on theirs then put some serious ground between us. I use faber traditional snow shoes, they are silent with no metallic or plastic noises and float like a boat, I can walk a long damn way, and I have a lot of time this winter as Covid will really cut down on my business. I know hounds are literally designed for this job and my buddy has a few, I will also try calling but Im up for a challenge.

So who has done it before?
tried?
Who thinks Im crazy......

MOOSE MILK
11-17-2020, 12:42 AM
Enjoy it while you can, I used to walk down deer, hip replacement and too old to do it now. Sounds like a great adventure.

sames14
11-17-2020, 12:43 AM
Is this not called HUNTING?

Monashee
11-17-2020, 01:49 AM
Andy Russell in one of his books mentions Joe Cosley hunting cougars in winter by following their tracks on snowshoes until he was close enough to shoot them . Maybe he did but Joe was prone to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story . Cougars are smart and will head for rough country or just as likely be following you after awhile. Anyway Joe was a real character and long time trapper . https://www.parkcabinco.com/blog/2019/1/31/the-inimitable-life-and-death-of-joe-cosley

tigrr
11-17-2020, 06:00 AM
Wear one of those hats that has eyes on the back. Just in case they end up tracking you looking for an opportunity to feast on you.

Bustercluck
11-17-2020, 06:13 AM
Sounds like fun. Let us know how it works out

tracker
11-17-2020, 06:22 AM
if you find a kill that the cat has made and hunting from there will dramatically increase your chances of seeing the cat. goodluck

LBM
11-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Well, this winter is gunna be interesting for me so I have this crazy idea....again. I want to walk down a cat on snow shoes, I mean find a good track in the pre dawn hours in fresh snow and follow it till I see the cat at the end, cougar or lynx. It sounds like a lot of effort and it is, I tried this a few winters a go but didnt have lots of time on my hands although I did manage to get close, one lynx went up a huge fir and I just could not spot it, and twice I was within 50yds of cougars but they caught on to me following them, circled back through thick stuff and found my tracks on theirs then put some serious ground between us. I use faber traditional snow shoes, they are silent with no metallic or plastic noises and float like a boat, I can walk a long damn way, and I have a lot of time this winter as Covid will really cut down on my business. I know hounds are literally designed for this job and my buddy has a few, I will also try calling but Im up for a challenge.

tried?

Yes have done it, best thing is to learn tracks if your plan is on shooting one. Learn the difference between male and female size tracks, dont want to be shooting a female
that is out hunting and left the kittens behind.

Rieber
11-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Well good luck. Keep a fixed blade knife on your belt because if that cat circles around and hits you from behind it's going to be up high and you'll drop your rifle. You'll need your knife to kill the cat before it gets you.

Man I wish I had the strength to even think about that kind of hunting adventure.

I'm guessing a coon skin hat will help lure the cat to you.

labguy
11-17-2020, 06:50 AM
Andy Russell in one of his books mentions Joe Cosley hunting cougars in winter by following their tracks on snowshoes until he was close enough to shoot them . Maybe he did but Joe was prone to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story . Cougars are smart and will head for rough country or just as likely be following you after awhile. Anyway Joe was a real character and long time trapper . https://www.parkcabinco.com/blog/2019/1/31/the-inimitable-life-and-death-of-joe-cosley

Ive read pretty well everything by Andy Russell but missed his mentioning of Joe Cosley. Joe was indeed a colorful character who lived an extraordinary and interesting life at a time I wish I was alive in.

Thanks for that link. A most enjoyable read.

J_T
11-17-2020, 08:24 AM
I've done it. It takes a ton of hiking. I didn't use snow shoes, but did do it in the snow. Up one side of the mtn, down the other, back up, figure eight across his previous tracks and down the side we started from. I was completely exhausted and thought I would give up. Completely dehydrated I stopped for a drink of water, put the water back in my pack, turned to leave and noticed a snowy footprint on a big fir. Looked up and there he was. One arrow released from the recurve, through the heart. He measured 8' 2" with a skull 14 5/8's. Less than 100 yards from where we started.

walks with deer
11-17-2020, 09:36 AM
i see fresh tracks weekly will give you a call next set if you want to give it a go...i recomend a good day pack for this. ps seen a cat by your house last friday.

Huntingtyler123
11-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Man that sounds so fun. I’d love to track down a cougar. Last weekend I tracked down a legal buck following his fresh tracks through the snow heading up.
mid you could track down a cougar this way , would it be possible to track down a wolf? Or do they cruise to fast?

skibum
11-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Why not add a predator call into the mix? - I think that would up the probability of a lynx as they seem to be more curious.

I had an experience with a cougar following my tracks while I was skinning my way up into some freshy. Saw the tracks while thinking about making a second hike up the mountain, then thought about a cougar on my back while I flailed around in my skis in the deep snow; decided to head home.

Arctic Lake
11-17-2020, 09:55 AM
If successful you could change your handle on HBC, to CatTracker . It sounds like a great thing to do. Good luck to you !
Arctic Lake

tried?

hunterdon
11-17-2020, 11:12 AM
if you find a kill that the cat has made and hunting from there will dramatically increase your chances of seeing the cat. goodluck

I agree. I've had success using this strategy even using archery equipment. Don't use snowshoes much, although in deep snow I believe they will be needed and should be ok. Snow conditions have to be just right,. Dry fluffy stuff which is quiet is best. Not too deep and not to shallow. And, after regular hunting season has been over for a while since there are less humans in the bush, so the cats will be more likely to be seen during daylight hours. Not easy, but it can be done. Go for it, and good luck.

In any event, it will be a learning experience from many aspects and a great way to stay/get in shape. I particularity love the peace and quiet.

Imdone
11-17-2020, 11:39 AM
I've done it. It takes a ton of hiking. I didn't use snow shoes, but did do it in the snow. Up one side of the mtn, down the other, back up, figure eight across his previous tracks and down the side we started from. I was completely exhausted and thought I would give up. Completely dehydrated I stopped for a drink of water, put the water back in my pack, turned to leave and noticed a snowy footprint on a big fir. Looked up and there he was. One arrow released from the recurve, through the heart. He measured 8' 2" with a skull 14 5/8's. Less than 100 yards from where we started.

Wow, congrats JT, that's a rewarding end. And rarely done. Congrats to you.

swampthing
11-17-2020, 04:48 PM
I have heard of a guy doing this. Dont know how successful he ever was. Said he would bay like a dog as well!

11-17-2020, 06:29 PM

This is perhaps the coolest story I’ve ever read on HBC

Blockcaver
11-17-2020, 06:43 PM
Heck of an accomplishment JT!! I know one guy that did it in CO. Hell of a Bowhunter and tough as a boot in his younger day. His got even more exciting after he arrowed it with his home made self bow. It went down into a shallow vertical mineshaft and was still alive. He went down in after it and came out alive with the cougar! Not as large as yours was.

Downtown
11-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Sounds you are a real Hunter not afraid getting off his ORV and scrabling up some steep Terrain. You bet it can be done by someone young, in good shape, a few basic Bush skills and relentless determination. If nothing else its a Helluva Exercise program. I wish you Luck and love to read how your Adventure played out.

Cheers

srupp
11-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Hmm this was done by an individual west of WL..
WELL DONE JT
Cheers
Srupp

lovemywinchester
11-17-2020, 08:00 PM
My buddy hiked 10 km yesterday following a big mulie track. You can cover lots of ground when you just go. He didn't catch up to it....

whognu
11-17-2020, 08:04 PM
“So who has done it before?
tried?
Who thinks Im crazy......”

I’ll take “crazy shit I did in my 30’s” for $400, Alex

Firstblood
11-18-2020, 12:43 AM
Well Im not 30 yet haha and I like doing crazy things I can put my mind to. Ive followed buck tracks over a mountain and back more than once, I love getting on a track and following it, even if its old just to see what the game sees, what they think, how they move through the forests and hills. Super cool to hear you did it, especially with a recurve JT, Ill be using a soon to be new to me contender 44. I have a great pack and I keep everything I need to camp out in my day pack, Tarp shelter, sleeping pad, bag, food/mini stove, Just so I can camp out on the track if I want to keep going the next day or I just want to follow it until I cant anymore. Ill post updates when I get out there but its still muley rut so more of that tomorrow.

sames14
11-18-2020, 01:19 AM
I did this years back, tracked a bull moose for hours through thick and thin, a few swamps, knee deep snow only to bump into my Uncle who saw the same tracks cross the logging road. Long story short is he shot it about 100 yds off the road. I was not to far behind and of course being the young buck in the family guess who had to hump each quarter back to the logging road, to the truck, to drive back to camp, oh by the way was a 15 minute drive. LOL

LBM
11-18-2020, 06:03 AM
Well Im not 30 yet haha and I like doing crazy things I can put my mind to. Ive followed buck tracks over a mountain and back more than once, I love getting on a track and following it, even if its old just to see what the game sees, what they think, how they move through the forests and hills. Super cool to hear you did it, especially with a recurve JT, Ill be using a soon to be new to me contender 44. I have a great pack and I keep everything I need to camp out in my day pack, Tarp shelter, sleeping pad, bag, food/mini stove, Just so I can camp out on the track if I want to keep going the next day or I just want to follow it until I cant anymore. Ill post updates when I get out there but its still muley rut so more of that tomorrow.
You may be surprised at how many spots to hunt other animals during your hike you find that you wouldnt of other wise checked out. Best way to learn about animals and there habits is to follow them.

blackbart
11-18-2020, 05:54 PM
I have tried, but no success as of yet. As someone before said you will learn a ton just following a cat that is not being chased by hounds. The routes that they take and where they set up ambushes are not by fluke. Have lost a couple days of deer hunting over the years when I cut a fresh big cat track in the right snow. The circling around and having tracks on top of your tracks seems to be a common occurrence (at least in my limited data set). Good luck, you seem to have what it takes to make this happen.

skibum
11-19-2020, 10:55 AM
After reading all this, a cat hunting strategy would be to follow a cat's fresh tracks for a period, then turn around and backtrack your own.