PDA

View Full Version : Heated socks recommendation

twoSevenO
11-16-2020, 09:01 AM
Hi guys,

My better half got moved to work the cooler at work and I was thinking of some heated socks for her for xmas?

Any good ones out there? I know there are heated insoles, but she wears custom orthotics in her work boots so I dont think that would work.

She HATES the cold and doesnt handle it well so thinking of something to make it better for her

Was hoping some of you -30 hardcore blind/tree stand guys have some suggestions :)

Arctic Lake
11-16-2020, 09:08 AM
Milwaukee makes those heated jackets and vests I think in 12 and M18 maybe they make a sock that’s heated . Could always drop one of those chemical hand warmers down a boot . Years ago there were those 9 volt heated socks What about better footwear ?
Arctic
Hi guys,

My better half got moved to work the cooler at work and I was thinking of some heated socks for her for xmas?

Any good ones out there? I know there are heated insoles, but she wears custom orthotics in her work boots so I dont think that would work.

She HATES the cold and doesnt handle it well so thinking of something to make it better for her

Was hoping some of you -30 hardcore blind/tree stand guys have some suggestions :)

fuzzybiscuit
11-16-2020, 10:45 AM
I’ve got no idea 270 but I’ll be watching for recommendations myself. I have type2 diabetes and my hands and feet freeze now when I’m out hunting at -20 to -30. Last year I actually got real bad frostbite on both hands to the point I thought I may lose my trigger finger on my right hand. I ended up with a full recovery but man my hands get cold real easy now. Better gloves have my hands doing ok but my feet still freeze.

cameron0518
11-16-2020, 11:35 AM
Very good question. We were looking at them yesterday. Cabela's has a pair for $30. Tempted to buy for my wife as well. From the reviews we have found on heated socks or gloves is not to expect them to last much more than a season. Hopefully someone has some helpful info.

BRvalley
11-16-2020, 04:19 PM
buy them from amazon or costco for the easy return/refund policy, cause nothing lasts

MBHunter
11-16-2020, 07:26 PM
I am not sure what other have had for experiences but I had a 9volt wool sock that I used once and seemed my feet got colder in them. Never tried again.

Ovis17
11-16-2020, 08:35 PM
I've been looking for some too. Seems like they are all junk (unless you want to spend huge $$$). Might try a set of rechargeable heated insoles.....

landphil
11-16-2020, 09:08 PM
I tried a pair of Thermacell heated insoles (their better model with removable rechargeable battery packs, were about $150-180 IIRC) a few years ago. They were OK for about 3 weeks in my work boots before they died and were returned for refund.

john.b
11-16-2020, 09:58 PM
I worked in the Yukon for two years and my parents bought me heated socks one Christmas. I would not wear them for the fear that they would make my feet sweat and then the batteries would die which is asking for frostbite.

I am by no means an expert but I have worked in temperatures as cold as -52c

my recommendations are good cold weather boots, high quality wool socks, and a synthetic liner sock. When it got really cold I would go to two wool socks and boots.

Mark’s has some really good cold weather boots

butcher
11-16-2020, 10:31 PM
Lenz heated socks with lithium batteries are great but they’ll set you back the price of a pair of boots. Good boots, not great boots.

g_man668
11-16-2020, 10:38 PM
I tried a pair off Amazon to wear in my waders when I fly fish in the lakes from Dec to Mar, they worked ok but I wasn't blown away by them so I ended up returning them, but for your wife's application they might work better being in a cooler rather than up against frigid cold water for 8 to 10 hours. But like stated earlier at least if you buy from Amazon they return process is easy and trouble free.

Hunterguy
11-18-2020, 11:49 AM
1000 gram thinsulated boot with good socks. Happy Feet.

twoSevenO
11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
1000 gram thinsulated boot with good socks. Happy Feet.

She just got new boots before being transferred out of the hot department to the cold side, so was looking for an alternative to buying a new pair of steel toe boots.
Really, her work should just be paying for a new pair if they're going to make you go work in a cooler. it's BS.