PDA

View Full Version : A buck for an old friend

Kirby
10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
When I first got into forestry and specifically falling I began working with an old time faller. By the time I had started working with the guy he was in his mid 60's. Over several years we worked together for quite awhile and developed a close friendship, at one point he gave me an full original 303 lee enfield, the only catch was that I had to use the rifle, not leave it in a closet.

I had packed the rifle several times and left it original, but it never spoke and eventually was placed in the safe to be handled occasionally and shot rarely. When I got out of falling and started working in other fields I lost touch with him but Recently I had learned that the man is in a bad state health wise. I decided it was time to quit screwing around and complete my promise.

I blew the dust off the rifle, loaded the truck and headed up to reg 5. A meeting with a fellow HBC'er left me with a couple of areas to hunt. I quickly made my way out. Ended up running into a nice little mulie buck that would fill part of the freezer nicely. 2 shots later(one through the lungs and a finishing shot through the head) left me with a nice little buck.

The meat will be split between my freezer and his.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/Hunting/DSC_0102.jpg

Kirby

Wildfoot
10-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Nice buck! Beautiful rifle!

todbartell
10-23-2007, 06:35 PM
good job, I'm sure he is proud

Gnarly
10-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Well done! should be tasty.

Phil
10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Well done using the old rifle. It'll make the table fair that much better for all.

Trav
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
nice job man. great story and thats a sweet old gun!!

NaStY
10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
What an honorable thing to do. Congrats!!! There should be more of these stories......

I'm sure he will be proud that that fine rifle never went to waist.

Marc
10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey Kirby, great story and definitely a good cause. I'm sure you won't regret shooting that guy he's going to make some awesome eating.

longwalk
10-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Great story. We can all learn a lesson in honouring committments. Thank you.

5 spike
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
nice buck and a sweet rifle,i shoot a older 30/06 that i have had since a teenager great gun never lets me down.only my shooting skills once in a blue moon.

GoatGuy
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Way to go man, good on ya! :smile:

quadrakid
10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
you have done well,grasshopper.

pupper
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Good on you Kirby!!

great tasting buck with an old rifle!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Leave it to you Kirby to stoop to using a rifle and turn it in to something much, much more:cool:.
Knowing you, you took him well inside bow range:smile:.
Well done!

SSS

Caveman
10-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice job Kirby, I'm sure your friend will appreciate the gesture.

BlacktailStalker
10-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Great story, I'm sure your friend is happy and probably appreciates seeing it put to use as promised.

Th0r
10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Good for you and the old 303. Nice to see the oldies but goodies still have success.:wink:

dukester
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Write the story on the back of a 8x10 pic with frame. its one to always remember. very good Kirby.. cor.

Gilmore
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
The best hunting story I've read on here. Good on ya.

Chad

model88
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Good job Kirby, nice buck shot with a beautiful rifle, good on you sir.

mark
10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I started hunting with a .303, dropps deer better than my .300 mag for some reason???? I still like to pack it for shed hunting/bear backup gun!

wolverine
10-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey, is that Columbia Valley Kirby. I know him. Way to go!

1/2 slam
10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Well done Kirby.

mainland hunter
10-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Good story, thanks

Elkhound
10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
nice job Kirby..well worth the effort I bet

beeker
10-23-2007, 11:28 PM
That's a feel good story. Way to go man!

Gateholio
10-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Nice story.

Full stock SMLE, too...Really kicking it old school.:cool:

3kills
10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
congrats kirby good on ya for keeping to ur promise..

Kirby
10-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Leave it to you Kirby to stoop to using a rifle and turn it in to something much, much more:cool:.
Knowing you, you took him well inside bow range:smile:.
Well done!

SSS

I actually had to stretch out for him.. 60 yards!:eek:

Wolverine, he came out of reg 5 just south of Williams lake.

The rifle is a nice rifle and fun to shoot, I had originally toyed with drilling it for scope and changing out the stock, pretty happy I decided not too. I have shot it occasionally in military shoots and used it to introduce new shooters, but this is the first time its seen blood in many years. The history as I have heard is that it did see use in the military, but hasn't been used in over 50 years as far I as I remember from the story I was told.

I'll be dropping the meat off at his place this weekend with a case of beer and spend some time shooting the breeze with him.

Kirby

MB_Boy
10-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Nice work Kirby......good story and idea to 'hold up your end of the deal'.

BTW.....your camera takes outstanding pictures....the clarity is great.

pitdog
10-24-2007, 10:53 AM
cool story and A great looking Mulie.

Fireball129
10-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Awesome story Kirby,the old .303 still gets the job done.Congrats

buckguy
10-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Congrats,I am sure he will appreciate the fact you are a man of your word!Life is too short ...glad you kept a promise and I bet that will be the best tasting mulie yet! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Will
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
What a Crock.........everyone knows Enfields can't hit the barn if your in it.......much less expect a 303 British to actually kill anything :roll:

Obviously I Jest ! :redface:

Big Congrats !!! Old School all the way !

You did Your Friend Proud I'm sure, Good for You ! :smile:

Maverick
10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Kirby, your actions are honourable. Makes me proud to be a member of HuntingBC, and congrats on the buck!

sgt.maj
10-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I just knew you were a good guy. I expected you to be older through our communications, but you are one of the few of our generation that still respects the old timers that came before us. Good on ya Kirby. My Grand Fathers NoI MkIII (1916) has never let me down.

Thanks for the 700, she is a beaut! This rifle will be passed down to me Grand kids.

Kirby
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I just knew you were a good guy. I expected you to be older through our communicationsp

Not that old, just been around!:eek:

but you are one of the few of our generation that still respects the old timers that came before us. Good on ya Kirby. My Grand Fathers NoI MkIII (1916) has never let me down.

Thanks for the 700, she is a beaut! This rifle will be passed down to me Grand kids.

The man took me under his wing so to say, taught me how to fall, kept me from screwing up too much, helped me out when I was first getting started, got me work etc. He was a very close friend and I really regret that I let it slip away.

One of the most memorable days was a day that we were out falling, I had a 24" fir tree go, I took my eyes off the tree. The tree fell crossing a gully, the tip hit the ground and the butt kicked out and came back on me, I started to drop, the butt end kicked my hard hat off and knocked me down. I hit the ground and the tree landed on the ground next to me. my sweater was actually pinned slightly under the tree. I was pretty shook up pulled myself together, sat up, he walked over, pulled out a smoke, lit it, handed it to me, said "get the f*&k back to work":smile: gave me a couple of minutes to check my pants for "spillage" and then I was back at'er

Glad your liking the 700, I've been looking for my loading book to find out what was my best load for it with different bullets/weights. When I dig it out I'll forward you the info. Seems I put it somewhere when I moved and can't find it now.

Kirby

sgt.maj
10-24-2007, 11:07 PM
You see! Those kind of men do not exist any more! Back in the day, they would just get on with the job. They would acknowledge the fact that you just about got creamed, but would carry on like nothing happened.

I had folks like that show me the way as well. We need to make sure that our younger generations do no fortget the sacrifices made in taming this land. And train them to be tough. I have a manufacturing plant in Chilliwack and it seems that all the young men that come to work for me would rather be at home with an "injury" (sore pussy) than work.

If I ever get up your way, I would love to meet up with you.

How do we leave a good message for people to know that others are good people to deal with on the exchange forum? Cause I would like to leave you a A++++++

Kirby
10-24-2007, 11:53 PM
You see! Those kind of men do not exist any more! Back in the day, they would just get on with the job. They would acknowledge the fact that you just about got creamed, but would carry on like nothing happened.

Definatly a different breed. At 20 years old I could barely keep up with a man 45 years older than me packing a falling saw and gear. No screwing around, no bitching, just get the job done and get it done right. he taught me alot and left an impression on my for years to come, I credit him with the reason I never fail to find work when I am looking.

I had folks like that show me the way as well. We need to make sure that our younger generations do no fortget the sacrifices made in taming this land. And train them to be tough. I have a manufacturing plant in Chilliwack and it seems that all the young men that come to work for me would rather be at home with an "injury" (sore pussy) than work.

Don't even get me started on my generation...:shock:

If I ever get up your way, I would love to meet up with you.

How do we leave a good message for people to know that others are good people to deal with on the exchange forum? Cause I would like to leave you a A++++++

You ever make it up here let me know, the beer is on me. Not sure how to leave feed back, Thanks for the rating though:smile:. I'll reciprocate it as well, was a pleasure dealing with you.

Kirby

The Dawg
10-25-2007, 02:05 AM
You ever make it up here let me know, the beer is on me. Not sure how to leave feed back, Thanks for the rating though:smile:. I'll reciprocate it as well, was a pleasure dealing with you.

Kirby

Here is the link...great story btw!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4282

BCJunior
10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice meat buck, congratz

bosch
10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Nice to see one of those old L&E's still in the original state, most have been converted to hunting rifles...nice buck too will be tasty for sure!!

Kody94
10-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Two thumbs up!
Canuck

scottgreen
10-26-2007, 07:08 AM
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!