PDA

View Full Version : Camp stove

SeaScene
11-07-2020, 10:02 AM
I am trying to find a good rugged 2 burner propane camp stove that is NOT made in China. I read considerable product reviews but none of them stated where built. After lots of searching on a given product (eg Camp Chef) each stove I looked at was built in China.

.... thanks

ACB
11-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Go on Facebook marketplace, I'v seen quite a few older Coleman propane 2 and 3 burners, used mind you. But some of them are in really good shape. Not built in China.

Downwindtracker2
11-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Your search is kinda hopeless. Years back we bought a Woods brand at Canadian Tire, it's a dead ringer for the Primas (sp) brand stove. Different paint colour. Both are made in, you guessed it, China. My wife used it when she went for a week of rock hounding camp out. I saved my holidays for hunting. I used it once, it was OK.

In a stove you are looking for the old Coleman "Band of Blue" style burners, they have both high output and excellent really low simmer. We use a 1975 made in Canada Colman propane, which I had bought new, for the outside stove with the travel trailer. A Tourist stove that uses propane. And lots of it.

ratherbefishin
11-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Don’t know where it’s made but I picked up a ‘Base Camp’ 2 burner propane stove, angle iron body, cast iron burners ,about 10’’x 20’’.I coupled it with a 5 lb propane bottle. I have a ‘Camp Chef’ but it’s much bigger and heavier,this one is now our main propane camp cook stove. Way faster than a regular propane campstove.I think MrHeater has them on Amazon

boxhitch
11-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Many Coleman products are built in the USA

Arctic Lake
11-07-2020, 01:29 PM
I have an old Coleman Propane 3 burner bought many years ago , it was either made here or the USA . It has been great !
Lot’s of used campingstoves in good shape for sale as I bet as some folks try camping once and then don’t like it !
Arctic Lake

BimmerBob
11-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Go on CraigsList and enter Coleman in the search field, they range in price but you will be able to find a pristine condition stove for well under $50 if you are willing to look on a regular basis. I picked up a pristine white gas three burner stove for $10, all I had to do was oil the pump leather and install a new gasket in the fuel tank, it works like a new stove, propane are even simpler and as long as they have all the parts they may need an O ring in the tank regulator connection and they will work.

ratherbefishin
11-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Got a stack of about 6 of them in my garage...,all older than me( and I’m 73) I have one single burner round chrome one,about 10’’ across ,I think it was designed for the forestry market

SeaScene
11-07-2020, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the replies ..appreciated. Being a bit more specific, I have retired to my fully insulated, wood stove heated sailboat launched 2006. Just recently after a marine survey, according to the insurance company I need to take out my 2 burner propane cook stove connected to 20 lb tank off stern railing and replace with a pile of new stuff including new stove. All of the stuff they want is far more dangerous in terms of malfunction than my copper tube link up from the galley to the tank. This has been flawless for 14 years. I am looking to replace it all with a portable camp stove and 1lb refillable bottle and to hell with the bureaucracy. For heavy going needs like venison stews, pastas etc I have my wood stove. I have a video up on my YT channel at the 4 to 5 minute mark you can see both stoves clearly as an idea of where I am going with my posting.... Many thanks... great suggestions given.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF08QJIFpsE

goatdancer
11-07-2020, 03:58 PM
It doesn't take much to cause a propane leak that will lead to a disaster. A leak in a 1 lb tank ended up causing over $22,000 in damage to my garage a few years ago.

Downwindtracker2
11-07-2020, 04:27 PM
Propane gas is heavier than air.

My ex brother in law and his wife were house sitting for his brother, the other X-BIL. The thermal coupling in the propane furnace was wonky. BIL got up in the middle of the night to relight the furnace. A POOF. you know what hair got burned.

Be careful around propane and gasoline fumes.

SeaScene
11-07-2020, 04:55 PM
It doesn't take much to cause a propane leak that will lead to a disaster. A leak in a 1 lb tank ended up causing over $22,000 in damage to my garage a few years ago.

I hear similar stories and for some boat owners propane is not an option because of the danger. There are alcohol stoves for example the Origo except they have closed up shop. The idea of the lb bottle is that after cooking they live outside in the boat cockpit which is sealed off from the inside. A check with soapy water when connected will let you know if there is a leak. The garage I can see some difficulty in storage especially if airtight and a source of ignition is nearby. I think I will also post in the fishingbc forum ... must be guys who do not want a complex system for simple, short duration meal cooking.

BimmerBob
11-07-2020, 05:07 PM
I hear similar stories and for some boat owners propane is not an option because of the danger. There are alcohol stoves for example the Origo except they have closed up shop. The idea of the lb bottle is that after cooking they live outside in the boat cockpit which is sealed off from the inside. A check with soapy water when connected will let you know if there is a leak. The garage I can see some difficulty in storage especially if airtight and a source of ignition is nearby. I think I will also post in the fishingbc forum ... must be guys who do not want a complex system for simple, short duration meal cooking.

I did not see in your video what kind of fuel you would be utilizing for propulsion but if it is diesel what about a diesel fuel stove, it will save you from having to think about two fuel types and they are very efficient heat sources. I am pretty sure they have ones that are especially made for the boating community, might be worth a look although they won't be cheap.

SeaScene
11-07-2020, 07:16 PM
I did not see in your video what kind of fuel you would be utilizing for propulsion but if it is diesel what about a diesel fuel stove, it will save you from having to think about two fuel types and they are very efficient heat sources. I am pretty sure they have ones that are especially made for the boating community, might be worth a look although they won't be cheap.

Hi... good observation. I do have a diesel engine. On this coast I heat with abundant shoreline wood... (now heating this boat on a cold 35Kt stormy night). I also have a back up diesel heater if needed. So little is heard about diesel cook stoves. Resolved to check out your suggestion. Thanks.

Downwindtracker2
11-07-2020, 08:27 PM
All the old fishing boats had one.

srupp
11-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Hmm have a 2 burner Coleman propane stove in a custom wood box for protection when in back of pickup truck should be worth $60 it IS USED.

CHEERS
SRUPP

sako79
11-07-2020, 09:39 PM
I don't know about China but my camp chef is alot better than my colemans